Chantastic....the return of Patrick

VarBar

HAHAHAHHA! As usual, I was wrong, lol. As always, thank you so much @Sylvia :)

I've been wrong myself quite a few times before but in this case I never thought of Marina as possibly being the choreographer of Patrick's programs first and foremost because I can't imagine her picking/suggesting Dust in the Wind by Kansas. Even Hallelujah, I've noticed a lot of people believe it's Jeff Buckley's music and indeed Buckley was the one who made it popular around the world but this song was actually written by a Canadian musician who passed away last fall. Not sure Marina knows that but I suspect David does. What I mean to say is that Hallelujah was not a random music choice. It's just an assumption but I think it has some logic behind it.:)

kittysk8ts

I've been wrong myself quite a few times before but in this case I never thought of Marina as possibly being the choreographer of Patrick's programs first and foremost because I can't imagine her picking/suggesting Dust in the Wind by Kansas. Even Hallelujah, I've noticed a lot of people believe it's Jeff Buckley's music and indeed Buckley was the one who made it popular around the world but this song was actually written by a Canadian musician who passed away last fall. Not sure Marina knows that but I suspect David does. What I mean to say is that Hallelujah was not a random music choice. It's just an assumption but I think it has some logic behind it.:)
Thank you so much VarBar. As a Canadian, I am very familiar with our national treasure, Leonard Cohen who wrote the song in 1984. Another Canadian artist called k.d. Lang also sings a beautiful version (see Hubbell\Donahue SD 2015-2016) Marina likely knows this because Virtue/Moir skated an exhibition to Buckley's version in 2012-2013.

There is no question at all that David knows all! Hahaha!

However, I do take your meaning! The choreo just looks a bit different than anything we have seen for Patrick and it had me wondering. :)

VGThuy

It's kind of crazy but fitting that Marina's top two in her stable currently don't have programs choreographed (fully anyway) by Marina, a coach who is mainly known for choreography.

Kecasyl

Sorry, I know this was so 2 weeks ago, lol, but I just watched his programs again and I see lots of movements we have never seen from him with Jeff or David's choreo. I feel like Marina choreographed both programs. And I love them.

I don't know who is doing Patrick's choreo but I think I would call this season "the year of the knee slide" as he has incorporated that move just the once in the short but multiple times in the free ... right?
I love what I have see of his programs thus far. I can't even imagine how much "more" they will be when the Olympics (and maybe Worlds?) take place. Going to be an interesting skating season for this Canuck!

David and Jeff did the choreography this season again. Not Marina.

VarBar

Thank you so much VarBar. As a Canadian, I am very familiar with our national treasure, Leonard Cohen who wrote the song in 1984. Another Canadian artist called k.d. Lang also sings a beautiful version (see Hubbell\Donahue SD 2015-2016) Marina likely knows this because Virtue/Moir skated an exhibition to Buckley's version in 2012-2013.

There is no question at all that David knows all! Hahaha!

However, I do take your meaning! The choreo just looks a bit different than anything we have seen for Patrick and it had me wondering. :)

I do recall K.D. Lang's version, very touching and soulful but of all the renditions of Hallelujah I've heard I think that Buckley's is the most suited for Patrick's program. Love the way they reflected the lyrics in the choreography.

He’s been flirting with a quad flip, but don’t expect it to be part of his routines this year. “I’m not really pushing myself overly hard to do a quad flip,” he said.

i know I am in a small club here, probably a tiny one even, but I am relieved that Patrick is giving up on the quad flip. The quads he already has are more than enough for me and what will be will be.

kittysk8ts

i know I am in a small club here, probably a tiny one even, but I am relieved that Patrick is giving up on the quad flip. The quads he already has are more than enough for me and what will be will be.

Agree 100%. Plus last season he was able to do a 2nd 3A, so if that is still the case, then no need to force out another quad.

fscric

Someone left a comment at Bev Smith's article asking if it was Wilson or Buttle who did the LP and she answered it's Wilson. So which is correct?

VarBar

Seems like the little photo of Jeffrey and Patrick that Bev Smith linked to her article led some people to believe Jeffrey was involved in the choreography. Maybe he was unofficially as Patrick's footwork in the SP reminds me vaguely of his Elegy program. But the official choreographer is David Wilson, I personally can't think of any reason why I should question the reliability of the source. Bev Smith talked with Patrick, didn't she?

Japanfan

Pj Kwong interviewed Patrick at HPC yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7zlyV3Bd4I

Glad to hear that Patrick is being realistic about his goals and skating within his capabilities/limits.

That could be key to him delivering a powerful and clean/almost clean performance. It might even get him a medal, although I don't think he is focusing on that given the competition. But if any of the guys with multiple quads/high tech content falter - and they may - Chan could squeak in for a medal.

Last edited:

coppertop1

I hope Patrick enjoys these Olympics. He had so much pressure on him and put so much pressure on himself and the media made his silver medal sound like a failure in Sochi. Then they jumped on Rochette when she tweeted a word pun in French. He should hopefully skate for himself. He's given us so much.

Marco

So is he training the 4flip or not? It sounds like he is, just doesn't want to put it in his program.

arakwafan2006

This whole " doing it my way" thing sounds like " leave me alone and stop asking me about it because I am not sure" to me. Sorry. I don't think he's been honest publically that he waited too late to take pushing himself technically to be competitive serious and NOW, he's still playing catch up.

However he ends up after the Olympics, he is still one of the best there was and that's for all of the reasons that may not win him an Olympic medal this time around. His actual skating can be used from here on out as a benchmark of what it looks like when you're proficient in movement, interpretation, transitions and overall skating competiecies. It can also serve as an object lesson on why it's important to have competitive goals ahead of the curve because this sport is cruel and there is always someone, and in this case multiple someone's that can overtake you. Patrick spent years getting spoiled turning in mistake riddled performances and still winning, AND being bold enough to profess that the win was warranted. Now, the programs he had planned when he won worlds, if he executed them cleanly, they're not enough to win today.

Big picture, Patrick with a clean short with 1-2 quads and a clean free skate with 3 quads and landed jumps would put him easily behind a clean Hanyu and i believe ahead of Nathan Chen, if all goes well. That would be an accomplishment.

Japanfan

This whole " doing it my way" thing sounds like " leave me alone and stop asking me about it because I am not sure" to me. Sorry. I don't think he's been honest publically that he waited too late to take pushing himself technically to be competitive serious and NOW, he's still playing catch up.

He won three world medals and lost the OG medal in 2014 due to one silly mistake. There was no reason for him to do more quads when he won those medals.
The field has only recently passed him by, and he's a bit too old to be adding quads like the teenage guys are.

Chan was never the best competitor and his competition nerves more often than not got the best of him. You can pretty much count on him to deliver at Nationals, but he has no competition for gold at that event.

I think "doing it my way" means skating within his capabilities and having a realistic goal - top 5, probably.

I would like for Patrick to skate memorable programs at the OG - the kind of programs only he can deliver, and programs you want to watch over and over again. I don't care whether he gets a medal or not.

Last edited:

VarBar

"...for the way I skate and for the way I want to skate at the Olympics, I don't want to compromise anything else in order to add a more difficult quad. I don't want to sacrifice anything for that."

"With pieces like Hallelujah and Dust in the Wind, I want to do them justice and I think I wouldn't help the program if I added another quad."

Couldn't agree with you more, Patrick. Even three quads in the LP is one too many for me. Maybe I'm developing quad-phobia, I don't know. lol

Looking forward to watching Patrick's new programs with no plexiglass between me and his skating.:)

Japanfan

"Even three quads in the LP is one too many for me.

For me it depends on how well executed they are, who does them, and whether or not the program is compromised as a result of them.

To me a well executed quad is a thing of beauty as well as a benchmark of athletic ability. I don't feel that either Javi or Yuzu compromise the program for the quads, and I think we'll see more and more younger men popping them off with ease - and hence, without detriment to the program or how it would have been with less technically ambitious content. That's just how the sport progresses.

I enjoy Nathan's programs and Boyang's programs as well - Nathan is developing into a skater with the full package as well as multiple quads, while what I love about Boyang is his energy and exuberance.

VarBar

To me a well executed quad is a thing of beauty as well as a benchmark of athletic ability.

That's what it is for me as well and I do appreciate the effort those guys put into doing multiple quads and I respect them for pushing themselves and pushing each other but personally I don't need more than one or two proofs of athleticism per program. IMO there's too much athleticism and too little figure skating in today's men's discipline.

I think I understand what Patrick means by "sacrificing" because I could make a direct comparison between his Chopin medley from Japan Open 2014 where he did one quad and one triple axel and the Chopin from 2016 4CC with two quads and two triple axels. Several choreographic moves and footwork transitions that I loved in his JO version had disappeared by the time he got to the 4CC of that season. I wouldn't want the same thing to happen to his Hallelujah program.

One benefit of being just a casual fan and not a judge or a federation official is that I don't have to watch what I don't enjoy and I'm not enjoying the crazy race for quads that I have seen the past few years. Of course, I'm only speaking for myself.

Patrick is no longer on the entry list for Nebelhorn. Hope nothing is wrong.
https://twitter.com/icenetwork/status/911546266424881152

Hmm, it's not like Patrick to withdraw from a competition for no reason. Hopefully nothing serious though.

bardtoob

One benefit of being just a casual fan and not a judge or a federation official is that I don't have to watch what I don't enjoy and I'm not enjoying the crazy race for quads that I have seen the past few years.

I supposed, but I don't think you are a casual fan because you describe the difference between the same program from two relatively obscure competitions 1.5 years apart and it sounds like you did watch both programs because choreography is not listed on stuff like competition protocols.

I could make a direct comparison between his Chopin medley from Japan Open 2014 where he did one quad and one triple axel and the Chopin from 2016 4CC with two quads and two triple axels. Several choreographic moves and footwork transitions that I loved in his JO version had disappeared by the time he got to the 4CC of that season.

Last edited:

kittysk8ts

Today was a Patrick retrospective. Watched his first Canadian win, his Tango de Exilados at 4CC and his stunning skate at TEB 2013. Just wonderful. Now to see him in person in two weeks.
Sounds like a wonderful way to spend some time :) Can't wait to see his new programs properly, and I hope when you are home you will share your impressions with us :) Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information