Gamez/Korovin

Hedwig

Antique member
I am not speaking about his reaction to her so much as his general attitude of distain to be skating with her and that it is beneath him. He does not need to kiss or hug her but his appearance of I am so much better than you and it is embarrassing to be on the same ice is a totally different vibe from Aljona with her partners for instance.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
It’s pretty telling if the emotions he’d be forced to fake are anppreciation and respect.

If he’s skating with her, and has no appreciation that she’s the reason he can skate — otherwise, he’d have found a better deal — he has the option to stop skating. Similarly if he has no respect for her.

marshallpond

I don't think that they would ever be eligible, since they are training in the United States. Philippine citizenship by naturalization requires at least five years residency in the Philippines in the best of circumstances. He would also have to achieve fluency in a Philippine language.

Remember that this is the Philippines, where lots of miracles routinely (and I mean routinely LOL) happen under the table. Gamez's uncle was also a former senator so they've got political clout.

The Philippines is heavily pushing them, and I think they can make things happen to hasten the process to ensure that they'd have athletes in the Olympics. The Philippines is a sports-crazy nation, and they really celebrate athletes who have made it to the international stage. Even the YOG Olympics competitors have gotten good mileage in the press, including newspaper and TV interviews (something that's not done here in the US). With soooo very few athletes with a chance to make it to the Olympics, expect that things will be done to smoothen the process.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Remember that this is the Philippines, where lots of miracles routinely (and I mean routinely LOL) happen under the table. Gamez's uncle was also a former senator so they've got political clout.

The Philippines is heavily pushing them, and I think they can make things happen to hasten the process to ensure that they'd have athletes in the Olympics. The Philippines is a sports-crazy nation, and they really celebrate athletes who have made it to the international stage. Even the YOG Olympics competitors have gotten good mileage in the press, including newspaper and TV interviews (something that's not done here in the US). With soooo very few athletes with a chance to make it to the Olympics, expect that things will be done to smoothen the process.
cough Melissa Bulanhagui cough

skatingfan412

I'm a long time figure skating fan, but new to FSUniverse. Actually came across this site trying to find more about SE Asian skaters - the "Obscure" skaters thread was really interesting to me! I live in the Philippines so would like to explain our process here as Alexander's naturalization has been covered in our media.

There's a special naturalization law here for athletes since we have so few that are able to compete on an international level. It's common for basketball players, soccer, and other sports. Here's some info: https://www.spin.ph/life/guide/column-how-does-an-athlete-become-a-citizen-a4598-20210219-lfrm
It looks like Congress is taking this route with Alexander based on Philippine Skating Union's recent posts from Congress.

@marshallpond pointed out that the Phils is heavily pushing them so maybe this is adding to their stress during competition. We are a small country, and it's not like if one athlete doesn't make it to the Olympics we have many others to follow. We didn't have any figure skaters in the 2022 Winter Olympics.

I and so many others are really rooting for Gamez and Korovin!!!!

Last edited:

marshallpond

"The first reading passed for granting Philippine citizenship to figure skater Aleksandr Korovin. Second and third reading at the House and Senate to follow."

Me thinks it's just a formality. Korovin will get his citizenship soon; the Philippines really, really wants to be represented in the Winter Olympics so they will super fast-track Korovin's naturalization.

airgelaal

More-so Michael Martinez. He gained a massive social media following before that was even necessarily a 'thing' and the country did the most to get him exposure. No doubt the Philippines gets behind the athletes!
"Recollections may vary" :rolleyes:

marshallpond

"Recollections may vary" :rolleyes:
They certainly want their athletes in big competitions, but it doesn't mean the government is funding them

When I talked with Gamez's mom, she said that the Philippine Skating Union funds their travel and competition fees. However, they don't get funds to offset the cost of training, though she is working to change that and get funding.

That's why Elano, who was 6th in Junior Men at the Nationals and would be a really good bet for the Philippines, is not as enthused to switch feds and skate for the Philippines because it's not sure they'd be given funds for training. If they'd be sure to get funds, they'd switch in a heartbeat.

And that's the problem with these smaller feds - there's just not a lot of money. You'd have to go and ask for financial support from private corporations yourself.

airgelaal

They certainly want their athletes in big competitions, but it doesn't mean the government is funding them

When I talked with Gamez's mom, she said that the Philippine Skating Union funds their travel and competition fees. However, they don't get funds to offset the cost of training, though she is working to change that and get funding.

That's why Elano, who was 6th in Junior Men at the Nationals and would be a really good bet for the Philippines, is not as enthused to switch feds and skate for the Philippines because it's not sure they'd be given funds for training. If they'd be sure to get funds, they'd switch in a heartbeat.

And that's the problem with these smaller feds - there's just not a lot of money. You'd have to go and ask for financial support from private corporations yourself.
I was talking about Martinez. I followed him from his first appearance in the juniors and I did not get the impression from his interview that the country was behind him.

skatingfan412

I gotta say he looks mighty dapper rocking that barong (traditional Filipino formal wear shirt for men.)
I saw a clip on one of our TV morning shows where Korovin spoke Tagalog to Congress this week. I fell out of my chair. 😍

There is definitely some void potential for their skating that we haven't seen yet, but on a more shallow note they are extremely attractive and quickly gaining celebrity status here in Philippines. I hope philippine skating federation is stepping up for them. They're getting people to talk about figure skating in the country.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Aleksandr Korovin in his barong testifying to Congress -

@AngieNikodinovLove - gonna add him to your harem now? ;)

ice coverage

I saw a clip on one of our TV morning shows where Korovin spoke Tagalog to Congress this week. I fell out of my chair. 😍 ...

I would love to see this clip! I want to see if I can understand what he’s saying.

Full video of a Philippine Senate committee hearing on Feb 15 with Korovin and Gamez is on Facebook.
After answering many questions in English, Korovin also spoke some Tagalog in a prepared statement (combined with English). His prepared statement begins at approx. 3:16:00.

Throughout the hearing, I found Korovin to be gracious and earnest, and I am impressed.
At one point, he explained that he has been in the process of learning English at the same time that he is learning Tagalog with the help of the Gamez family.
Korovin showed both his poise and his sense of humor when he answered one of the questions about his commitment to the Philippines. The question was specifically something about preferring to die in the Philippines; he pleasantly replied, "I am not preparing for dying yet!" -- to which others joined him in laughter.
(At other times during the hearing, Korovin did speak of learning about the culture of the Philippines; of ongoing and future participation in teaching/coaching young athletes in the country; etc.)

Last edited:

Seerek

I was talking about Martinez. I followed him from his first appearance in the juniors and I did not get the impression from his interview that the country was behind him.
Unfortunately when it comes to athletes, you have to be of the level of a Carlos Yulo or Ernest Obiena to get "noticed" by the Philippine government.

marshallpond

I was talking about Martinez.
I know you were talking of Martinez -- and the lack of government funding support for Martinez is the same that the current crop of skaters in the Philippines are experiencing. Money for athletes in the Philippines is always tight, and the priority is for those athletes bringing the medals.

During Martinez's time, there was a lot of finger-pointing about his funding. I thought it was a very unfortunate situation. The Phil Skating Union did not submit their budget to the Phil Olympic Committee, so the POC could not give anything as nothing was asked from them; Martinez's parents did not follow the protocol and went directly to POC when PSU should have submitted the funding request. It was a bureaucratic nightmare. And I think the POC did not feel compelled to give as they knew the tycoon Henry Sy, the owner of the only rinks in the Philippines (all located in his shopping malls), was funding Martinez. But POC said they did give something, though of course skating being what it is, the $7.5K was not enough.

But other than the funding issue, the country was definitely behind him. The Filipino people went all-out of their support for Martinez. He was hailed as a hero for simply reaching the free skate https://sg.news.yahoo.com/philippin...EGJgioAGw8pOJGG1kpAsk10Wdsj8YRWYstJYv2L-nakKt

I don't think Nathan Chen got a parade when he won the gold medal. But Martinez certainly did. For simply being in the Olympics.

skatingfan412

I know you were talking of Martinez -- and the lack of government funding support for Martinez is the same that the current crop of skaters in the Philippines are experiencing. Money for athletes in the Philippines is always tight, and the priority is for those athletes bringing the medals.

During Martinez's time, there was a lot of finger-pointing about his funding. I thought it was a very unfortunate situation. The Phil Skating Union did not submit their budget to the Phil Olympic Committee, so the POC could not give anything as nothing was asked from them; Martinez's parents did not follow the protocol and went directly to POC when PSU should have submitted the funding request. It was a bureaucratic nightmare. And I think the POC did not feel compelled to give as they knew the tycoon Henry Sy, the owner of the only rinks in the Philippines (all located in his shopping malls), was funding Martinez. But POC said they did give something, though of course skating being what it is, the $7.5K was not enough.

But other than the funding issue, the country was definitely behind him. The Filipino people went all-out of their support for Martinez. He was hailed as a hero for simply reaching the free skate https://sg.news.yahoo.com/philippin...EGJgioAGw8pOJGG1kpAsk10Wdsj8YRWYstJYv2L-nakKt

I don't think Nathan Chen got a parade when he won the gold medal. But Martinez certainly did. For simply being in the Olympics.

The financial problems of Martinez were almost 10 years ago. Do we know for sure that’s the case of Philippine skaters today? Trust me I was a big Michael Martinez fan for what he did for skating here but at the same time it seemed like all his family did was complain about the federation and the government publicly. I don’t think that helps to get more support from the people that are supposed to give you money.

With other athletes and sports here in the Philippines, it seems results driven for support. EJ Obiena is a pole vaulter who ran into financial issues, but now is making millions of dollars, Hidilyn Diaz, the champion weightlifter too, and even the women’s soccer team. I think a lot of that money comes from private sponsors too. I don’t feel suitable to weigh in on other country’s skaters because I’m not from there but I’ve read about financial challenges for bigger skating federations too like US, Canada, Germany. Is it not results driven as well their financial support?

I want to see more skaters for the Philippines, and just generally from underrepresented countries, smaller federations. For me coming from one of these countries, it makes the skating competitions more interesting when you see an underdog succeed.

Last edited:

skatingfan412

Ok I suck, 🤣. I don’t really understand what he said, and I was born in the PI. We permanently moved to US in 1982. Oye, time for me to take some Tagalog lessons.
Thank you so much for the link!
Korovin says things like good morning, thank you very much, I’d like to request your support and help for my naturalization, my name is Sasha, and he replied to almost every question by saying “po” which is a form of respect to elders and people of authority. He also talked about how much he loves Filipino food. That goes a long way for us!! :D Thanks for sharing link! I was super impressed.

livetoskate

Speaking of Michael Martinez, he has a youtube channel. Looks like he's coaching in the Philippines now. In this video, he tries teaching a couple of celebrities:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information