Gamez/Korovin

lvcrdy

Hi guys

I’m just catching up on 4 continents pairs and can’t help but feel like it’s sooooo obvious that Korovin really doesn’t like Isabella Gamez. I feel so sorry for her.

There was a moment when they were skating off the ice after their free and she put her arm round him, and he actually removed her arm from his back in full view of the cameras.

I can’t remember what competition it was previously but I remember seeing him be really disrespectful towards her before their programme started, I think there was something on the ice and he rolled his eyes as she picked it up. It’s almost like she tries to make the world think everything is okay when in reality they don’t get on.

I hope she’s okay. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this as she seems like such a lovely person

lvcrdy

Yeah he seems like he really doesn't wanna be there - it's actually really uncomfortable and I hope she's getting the care that she needs.
I posted this before I saw them get their results and even in the kiss and cry, he’s speaking Russian with the coach almost laughing at their score. I hope so too, would be really sad to think she’s dealing with this on her own

Kateri

void beast
I know he's said in interviews that he's frustrated because they don't have a proper pairs coach, so they're not making much progress. And I get that, and that maybe he feels he doesn't have many other options right now. But if he's taking all this frustration out on her, then he needs to get over himself. It's at the point where he's humiliating her publically.

lvcrdy

I know he's said in interviews that he's frustrated because they don't have a proper pairs coach, so they're not making much progress. And I get that, and that maybe he feels he doesn't have many other options right now. But if he's taking all this frustration out on her, then he needs to get over himself. It's at the point where he's humiliating her publically.
Yeah if he feels that way about the coaching situ then she probably feels the same way. Embarrassing her isn’t going to help! it’s like he feels as though he’s better than skating with her

Jonas

It's kinda a shame since they're an attractive looking pair.

From their ISU bios, it lists Evgeni Krasnopolski as part of their coaching team. He certainly has plenty of competitive pairs experience, but he's sadly also known to be a little sketchy in his treatment of his partners -- not exactly the best choice when it comes to teaching Korovin to be a good partner.

Doesn't Kyoko Ina coach out of Jersey?? I hope they seek her out!

But, back to the main point: some attitude adjustments from him probably would be as helpful as any coaching change at this point.

Your thoughts...

Hedwig

Antique member
I said something similar in the pbp thread. She is expressive and does her best and he looks like he is bored with it all. That is really off putting and takes my enjoyment away

lvcrdy

From their ISU bios, it lists Evgeni Krasnopolski as part of their coaching team. He certainly has plenty of competitive pairs experience, but he's sadly also known to be a little sketchy in his treatment of his partners -- not exactly the best choice when it comes to teaching Korovin to be a good partner.

But, back to the main point: some attitude adjustments from him probably would be as helpful as any coaching change at this point.

Your thoughts...
I agree, and they do seem to skate well together (despite him looking majorly uninterested at times).

I’ve not done much research into the coaching team around them, but it looked as though the coach and Korovin were speaking Russian to each other whilst Isabella sat there trying to look like she didn’t feel uncomfortable. The coach seemed to be okay with her though which makes me wonder who the issue is here!

I just hope that there’s people looking out for her whoever they are coached by. And like you say, hopefully we see a better attitude from him.

lvcrdy

I said something similar in the pbp thread. She is expressive and does her best and he looks like he is bored with it all. That is really off putting and takes my enjoyment away
This reminds me - this is my first post and I’m very new to the site so please forgive me if this post isn’t in the right place!

But yes I completely agree, it makes me not want to watch them skate because I spend the whole time noticing little body language things that he does that make it clear he’s not bothered.

Rafter

To me he looks embarrassed to be skating with her.

She has improved but still can’t really do a triple jump. He acts like he is better than her and does really come across as a jerk. I too noticed how he removed her arm from around his waist.

I guess he’s in it for US citizenship? I also assume her dad is paying his bills. Doesn’t she come from a wealthy family?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Pardon me but when has Korovin ever looked happy in the KnC with any of his partners? He certainly never looked all that happy with Alisa Efimova during their time together.

Vagabond

But seriously:

Yeah he seems like he really doesn't wanna be there - it's actually really uncomfortable and I hope she's getting the care that she needs.
Rather than "getting care," Gamez should consider breaking off the partnership, and so should Korovin. I question whether working on the problems they have with each other is worth the effort.

Last edited:

nylynnr

There was a moment when they were skating off the ice after their free and she put her arm round him, and he actually removed her arm from his back in full view of the cameras.
Maybe he feels the touch was inappropriate and wants to be careful to keep their partnership on a strictly professional level.

lvcrdy

Maybe he feels the touch was inappropriate and wants to be careful to keep their partnership on a strictly professional level.
Potentially, but literally every other couple hugs in some way after the performance, or even says good job. He can’t wait to let go of her hand and just seems very off!

hanca

Values her privacy
Potentially, but literally every other couple hugs in some way after the performance, or even says good job. He can’t wait to let go of her hand and just seems very off!
I guess some pairs may be comfortable with physical contact even when it is not needed, and some may see the physical contact just as a way to get the skating done. While the audience expects pairs be behaving as if they had some romantic relationship even when their program music is not on (e.g. holding hands when getting on/ off the ice), in reality some pairs have a working relationship comparable to being colleagues at work rather than being friends. Personally, I don’t usually hold my colleagues hands when I am entering a room for meetings, so I can imagine that for some people anything beyond touching during their program may feel just like an unnecessary extra work. As in, why bother. There may be hundreds or reasons, e.g. Korovin may have a jealous girlfriend or whatever. It is a bit sad that judgements are being made based on whether one of them wants to be touched outside their performance.

zigzig

It's not just the contact after - it's all the non-verbal/body language throughout the whole time they’re out there.

His FSgossips interview wasn't particularly endearing either.

lvcrdy

I guess some pairs may be comfortable with physical contact even when it is not needed, and some may see the physical contact just as a way to get the skating done. While the audience expects pairs be behaving as if they had some romantic relationship even when their program music is not on (e.g. holding hands when getting on/ off the ice), in reality some pairs have a working relationship comparable to being colleagues at work rather than being friends. Personally, I don’t usually hold my colleagues hands when I am entering a room for meetings, so I can imagine that for some people anything beyond touching during their program may feel just like an unnecessary extra work. As in, why bother. There may be hundreds or reasons, e.g. Korovin may have a jealous girlfriend or whatever. It is a bit sad that judgements are being made based on whether one of them wants to be touched outside their performance.
I see where you’re coming from but it’s not a judgement being made based on touching. It’s a judgement being made based on his behaviour on and off the ice on more than one occasion.

ice crystal

I understand where you're coming from. He is certainly taking it to another level though. Can't of the top of my head remember having seen another team who have the coach sit in the middle in the k&c, like after their SP. Not a great picture.

marshallpond

Isn’t he living and training in the USA?
They've been training in Moncler University rink, together with other pairs like the Israeli junior pairs team.

I met Gamez at John Nicks, and her family was there -- mom, sister, and brother (I think). The mom goes with her in most of their competitions, so I think she has the support. Her mom and I talked about the Philippine Federation and the kind of support they are getting.

In John Nicks, I saw little interaction between Isabela and Korovin after they competed as Isabela was mostly with her family while Korovin was somewhere else.

Your thoughts...

Kyoko coaches at Capital Arena in Clifton Park in upstate NY near the Albany/Troy area.

ice coverage

Philippine citizenship, perhaps? ;)

Yes, Korovin is seeking Philippine citizenship. (y)

And posted today (Feb 6) on joint Instagram account of Gamez/Korovin as well as the account of Philippine Skating Union:

"Today, the members of the Philippine Skating Union were formally acknowledged during the House of Representatives plenary session, held on Feb 6, 2024.
🗓 On Feb 14, the House of Representatives is committed to engaging in discussion regarding the naturalization of Alexander Korovin. ...
This naturalization process signifies a crucial step forward in support of our pair skaters as they embark on their journey towards the Winter Olympics in 2026. ..."​

The Instagram reel shows Gamez and a pleasantly smiling Korovin in the Philippine House chamber as they are being officially recognized and welcomed.

Last edited:

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
All this was said last year and if they are still together next year it’ll probably come up again.

It seems more like it’s a business partnership. He obviously doesn’t want to fake affection in the K&C. He didn’t with his last partner either. Maybe he’d look a bit happier if they skated better.

ETA: I know that sounds mean but I actually like them. Good to see they are aiming for the Olympics.

Last edited:

Jonas

No doubt that this is a business partnership -- I'm sure he carpetbagged himself to the country of the first partner that he could secure. She, too, -- I'm sure, realized that he is her ticket to the Olympics. They are not the first nor will they be the last pair wherein the partners don't actually like each other, but they've gotta learn to, at least, fake it till they make it. As we all know, there needs to be some credible level of connection between the partners when they're performing. Hard to translate that on the ice when he can't seem to even fake being around her off the ice.

Your thoughts...

Miezekatze

I looked at his private instagram and the pairs instagram out of curiosity and he looks sort of emotionless and detached also on photos were he's supposedly being happy on vacaction or something.
(If Nika Egadze were a pairs skaters, I'd also totally expect him to look miserable and detached all the time too.)

Woetzel & Steuer, Savchenko & Szolkowy and Savchenko & Massot all were pretty successful for pairs who never "faked" anything or showed much of a connection.
Surely their relationships also wouldn't have been better if they had faked their lack of positive emotions for each other better for the public.

I'm also not sure it actually improves mental health topics for skaters and difficulties in professional relationships and "public image" topics in figure skating, if pairs skaters and ice dancers were supposed to "fake" positive emotions for each other for the public, because that's expected of them (Gracie Gold and Kiira Korpi quite successfully looked happy and friendly most of the time of their career on the ice and in the K&C).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information