Chantastic....the return of Patrick

VGThuy

Thank you for the explanation! All of this time I thought you couldn't repeat more than two triples and quads of the same type, but I thought triples and quads were considered separate for zayak purposes, not that they were considered together. I thought it was a like the way doubles and triples were considered (how a person can do two triple toes and two double toes and then two triple lutzes).

Sounds like Boyang had a similar idea or a brain fart:

http://soyouwanttowatchfs.tumblr.com/post/125968886210/intro-to-jump-layouts-invalid-jumps-singles

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Mentioned jumps in the interview by Smith:
4T-3T 4S 3A-1Lo-3S / 4T 3A 3Lz-3T
Planned layout listed on ISU's pdf:
4T-3T 3A 4S 4T 3A-3T 3Lo 3Lz-2T-2Lo 3F

Both of them are zayaking by repeating 4T, 3T and 3A.

kittysk8ts

From the ISU - July 26, 2016 Technical Handbook:

Jumps in the FS

Jumping elements are individual jumps, jump combinations and jump sequences. A well balanced Free Skating program must contain 8 jumping elements for Senior & Junior Men and 7 jumping elements for Senior & Junior Ladies one of which must be (or must include) an Axel type jump.

Individual jumps can contain any number of revolutions.

Any double jump (including double Axel) cannot be included more than twice in total in a Single’s Free Program (as a Solo Jump or a part of Combination / Sequence).

Of all the triple and quadruple jumps only two (2) can be executed twice. If at least one of these executions is in a jump combination or a jump sequence, both executions are evaluated in a regular way. If both executions are as solo jumps, the second of these solo jumps will be marked with the sign "+REP" and will receive 70% of it’s original Base Value. Triple and quadruple jumps with the same name will be considered as two different jumps. No triple or quadruple jump can be attempted more than twice.

bbkenn

Didn't get to see Patrick skate his free skate because NBC cut him. I'm very sad.

VGThuy

Despite not having the ideal skate in the LP, he had a few small victories here showing progress and managed a top 5 placement. None of those feats are easy given what the competition put out.

manhn

I will say that those backwards crosscuts or whatever you call them, was my choreographic highlight of the season for all disciplines. Loved them, loved them, loved them.

clairecloutier

I'm really happy with Patrick's performance at Worlds. He ultimately got the same placement as last year, but his performance quality was so much better this year. The SP was beautiful, and yay for rotating the 3 quads in the LP. Best of all, he seemed quite happy with his performance. Overall, he's looking so much happier and more content this year than last year. The positivity leads me to hope that good things are in store for him next season. :)

screech

Patrick plans to add a second quad to his SP (possibly trying it out at the WTT) and says a 4th quad in the LP is 'a toss up' because he doesn't know that it's the best thing for who he is as an athlete and with his build.

I love his comments in the article that he wanted to skate for himself, and he left the ice smiling this year, whereas last year he was preparing himself for failure.

chewy

I will say that those backwards crosscuts or whatever you call them, was my choreographic highlight of the season for all disciplines. Loved them, loved them, loved them.

You too? ! Absolutely my favorite move, dead simple and so effective. Well Patrick makes it look simple.

in the video links Maofan posted, around 3:26

Last edited:

bardtoob

atrick plans to add a second quad to his SP (possibly trying it out at the WTT) and says a 4th quad in the LP is 'a toss up' because he doesn't know that it's the best thing for who he is as an athlete and with his build.

I would call that actually "pushing himself" or "pushing his limits.".

I don't want him to hurt himself, but he only probably has 7-10 competitions :( left in his career, at most, so it would be interesting to see what he really can do.

Last edited:

bardtoob

I just watched Patrick's SP from Canadian Nationals 2017, and, while every jump was sloppy, the skating to that music made me cry. It is such a privilege to get to see him skate even a little longer. It is going to hit me hard when his time is over . . . It pains me to think of those years when I couldn't tell what he was chasing despite having it all:fragile:

Oh, don't say that. I am not ready for his retirement!

I'm sorry ... I really do feel the same :wuzrobbed I have been preparing myself since Canadian Nationals.

DDNatalia

I am surprised to see that he is competing at WTT. In the past, he has been amongst the most vocal critics of the timing and format of this event; deeming it a poor use of time and not worth the risk of injury, given how close it comes after Worlds, when everyone has just aimed to peak.

Japanfan

I would prefer for Patrick to skate within his capabilities next season, rather than push it with new elements that aren't consistent. He seems to have mastered his 3A demons.

I would be thrilled for Patrick to deliver clean, beautiful performances in his final Olympics, emphasizing the blade work that he does better than anyone in the world. I don't care about his placement. He is going to be disadvantaged in comparison to the top guys due to his lower base mark anyway, so he may as well skate for himself and his fans, and give us performances to remember.

Last edited:

fscric

I have been very disappointed with the PCS Patrick has been given in the past few years, his superior bladework hasn't got him advantage over the other guys. If Patrick felt he could up his ante further, he should go for it so he won't have any regrets even though his chance of winning the OGM is very slim. He just has to be careful not to injure himself.

DreamSkates

He has a very real chance of getting there if he skates clean.
I was so hoping (expecting, really) he would win the gold medal last Olympics, so keeping my fingers crossed. But Hanyu will be hard to beat if he skates clean. There is always the IF!

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information