Women’s WC of soccer 2023

quartz

scratching at the light
I’ve finally caught up on this tournament, via replays and recordings, very enjoyable and entertaining to watch. Totally rooting for the Aussies!

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Spain through to the final last night.

Now, the second semi is beginning. I imagine nearly every TV in the country has it on. The Stadium is chockers.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Wow, England doing so well - just scored 2nd goal. 2-0 England…or not? 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Halftime: Engl ahead 1-0.

Last edited:

ballettmaus

England are playing so dirty. It's clear a significant part of their game plan has been "just foul everyone as hard as you can but especially Kerr."
I couldn't watch the second half but the referees have been the worst players on the field basically throughout the tournament. I have no idea why but there are so many things that they just let slide or yellow cards they haven't given for fouls that can end in injury. They're supposed to ensure fairness and the safety of the players and they haven't done that.

They also have given a whole lot of corners that were none and vice-versa.

FIFA is in desperate need of putting more than one referee onto the field. Video review was a step in the right direction but the game has become much, much faster and more often than not, one referee simply can't have eyes everywhere. And they can't review something every five minutes. I also think they need four instead of two at the side of field.

I'm really bummed for Australia. Admittedly, they did not play as well as they could have in the first half, still, I wanted them to win. :( (Poor Alexi Lalas. He said after one of the games that you can't have the US leave after the round of 16 and England win the tournament. I guess it's up to Spain now :D )

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Was pulling for Australia, too bad :( Ugh, England.

The Tillies should be proud of their efforts.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Might be worth the English winning so we never have to hear the “30 billion years of butthurt” song ever again. :p

leilaofpaper

Given the whole saga with Spain’s coach I can’t stomach barracking for his team.

However I can’t go for England on principle. I need a third option. Draw? Another dramatic penalty shootout?

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Great game! Good job England, the final will be interesting. I love the teams aggressiveness they were very solid. All things being equal they played no different than the men.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
The semi-final between Australia and England set a new ratings record in Australia: 11.17 million viewers. And that was just on the free to air television and streaming service; it doesn't include those who were watching via Optus, or at live sites.

Nearly half the country was watching that game.

ballettmaus

I found it very hard to find details of what exactly the Spanish players were alleging the coach had done/was doing. Apparently, there's a report in The Athletic which I can't access. But in a timeline of Spain's road to the World Cup final, the WaPo has this tidbit: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/08/16/spain-world-cup-final-coach-controversy/

According to a report in the Athletic, the players felt Vilda’s “managerial style was too controlling. In the first few years of his time in charge of Spain — he was appointed in 2015 — he would ask players to keep their room doors open until midnight and check who was in which room. When coming back from a walk outside, they would be asked who they’d been with and be requested to show the contents of shopping bags if they brought some back.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information