Gymnastics #24 - The Road to Paris

barbk

Oksana Chusovitina just won her national championship!

"Chusovitina secured a score of 49.200, besting Lobar Amrillaeva’s 48.550 total. Amrillaeva was born in 2006, two years after Chusovitina made her fourth appearance at the Olympic Games at Athens 2004....However, her win at the national championships is a promising step forward. Her competition included performing a Tkatchev release move on the uneven bars for the first time in five years, according to a post from Chusovitina on Instagram."

:love:

mattiecat13

I’m hoping Chusovitina doesn’t qualify for Paris. I feel sorry for Lobar Amirillaeva or whomever else might be able to qualify and have her own Olympic experience but for Chusovitina and her ego. She hasn’t won an Olympic medal since 2008 and, after competing in eight Olympic Games, has had plenty of her own Olympic moments. What is she trying to prove by having a ninth?

barbk

I’m hoping Chusovitina doesn’t qualify for Paris. I feel sorry for Lobar Amirillaeva or whomever else might be able to qualify and have her own Olympic experience but for Chusovitina and her ego. She hasn’t won an Olympic medal since 2008 and, after competing in eight Olympic Games, has had plenty of her own Olympic moments. What is she trying to prove by having a ninth?
All Lobar has to do is beat her. It is that simple. Plenty of Olympic athletes leave without medals, and I don't consider their participation a failure.

Chusovitina, like DSD, is showing that age is not the barrier many of us considered it was. I applaud her effort, whatever the result.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I say more power to her - the best gymnast should go, no matter their age or how many times. If others want to go they just need to get better.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I don't think Uzbekistan has produced another gymnast good enough to qualify an Olympic quota place other than Chusovitina. If one of her teammates hasn't been able to beat her for a qualifying spot that's not her fault.

Having said that I would be shocked if Chusovitina qualified for Paris. The favourite for the extra Asian place is probably Levi Jung Ruivivar who used to compete for the US. If she put up four decent routines she'd probably beat Chusovitina easily. It also wouldn't surprise me if North Korea has another AA athlete they could send to Asian championships to get a spot. They have a lot of gymnasts with an active FIG license though many haven't actually competed, or at least don't have any results on their FIG profile. Chinese Taipei has some good gymnasts too.

mattiecat13

I say more power to her - the best gymnast should go, no matter their age or how many times. If others want to go they just need to get better.
Yes, and as we all know gymnastics (and figure skating) judges are totally unbiased and being a well-known and beloved gymnast can’t possibly lead to higher (undeserved) scores. :rolleyes:

GoneWithTheWind

Olympic qualifiers from the apparatus world cups series (as the series is about to conclude in Doha).

After Doha Day 1... from The Gymternet

MAG:
Rings - Vahagn Davtyan ARM & Samir Aït Saïd FRA
Pommel - Ahmad Abu Al Soud JOR & Nariman Kurbanov KAZ
Floor -Ryu Sunghyun KOR & Aurel Benovic CRO

WAG:
Vault - An Chang Ok PRK & Valentina Georgieva BUL
Bars - Levi Jung-Ruivivar PHI & Georgia-Rose Brown NZL

GoneWithTheWind

Final Olympic qualifiers from the World Cup series... from The Gymternet

MAG:
Vault - Shek Wai Hung HKG & Mahdi Olfati IRI
P Bars - Angel Barajas COL & Rasuljon Abdurakhimov UZB
High Bar - Tang Chia-Hung TWN & Robert Tvorogal LTU

WAG:
Beam - Ting Huan-Tien TWN & Nina Derwael BEL
Floor - Charlize Mörz AUT & Laura Casabuena ESP

Congratulations to all the gymnasts who have now qualified!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information