Women’s WC of soccer 2023

leilaofpaper

What I originally heard was that he was emotionally abusive to the players, and the squad that refused to go up for selection did so in the hopes the spanish federation would replace the coach.

ballettmaus

England are playing so dirty. It's clear a significant part of their game plan has been "just foul everyone as hard as you can but especially Kerr."
I watched the whole game with my parents and oh boy! That was referee was a disaster (so many fouls that she didn't call and so many cards that she didn't give for the fouls that she did call. Once upon a time, that first yellow card would actually have been red because of the danger of severe injury. My dad who's been a soccer enthusiast his entire life and once was a referee for the local amateur soccer club (with a reputation of being too neutral :lol: ) was an inch away from jumping through the screen :lol:)

Usually, you see this many fouls by one team only when a team from a non-soccer nation plays a well-known team and the team from the non-soccer nation can't keep up. And the referee didn't even call all of the fouls by the English team!

Today, it was announced that the same referee will be the referee in the final :eek: Spain beware!

Imagine if Australia had played the first half like they did the second. That second half was something else! Such a missed opportunity :wuzrobbed

And wow, Sam Kerr. The US TV commentators had mentioned that she was possibly the best player in the tournament during the Round of 16 games or maybe the quarter finals. I tend to be skeptical about these labels but it's certainly deserved when it comes to her. That woman has skills! (So do a lot of the other Australian players but she's on another level!)

ballettmaus

Australia's making me nervous. They're starting this game like they started the game against England: they sit deep in their own half and let the other team dominate the game. I'd much prefer if they played like they played the second half against England! That's better for my nerves ;)

Cachoo

What I originally heard was that he was emotionally abusive to the players, and the squad that refused to go up for selection did so in the hopes the spanish federation would replace the coach.
Maybe it is a strategy. The US Olympic Hockey team in 1980 HATED Herb Brooks. But that was Brook’s strategy. These young men who were part of heated college rivalries bonded over their dislike of Herb. There is no way they should have beaten the USSR. The women of Spain may be united about their feelings for their coach. And they are playing like they are united.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
The Queen of Spain is in!
QUE VIVA LA REINA DE ESPAÑA Y EL EQUIPO ESPAÑOL! 🇪🇸

leilaofpaper

Maybe it is a strategy. The US Olympic Hockey team in 1980 HATED Herb Brooks. But that was Brook’s strategy. These young men who were part of heated college rivalries bonded over their dislike of Herb. There is no way they should have beat the USSR. The women of Spain may be united about their feelings for their coach. And they are playing like they are united.
Most of the players who signed the letter asking for him to be sacked weren’t allowed to come back. I heard it was 15 who signed and only 3 allowed to return.

So no, I don’t think it’s a strategy.

Cachoo

Most of the players who signed the letter asking for him to be sacked weren’t allowed to come back. I heard it was 15 who signed and only 3 allowed to return.

So no, I don’t think it’s a strategy.
That is sad to read. Still, congrats to Spain.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Anyone inclined can vote for goal of the tournament:

ballettmaus

Just watched the finale. Good to know that it was nothing personal by that referee against Australia. There were some bad referees in that tournament but she was really something else. :yikes:

Very happy that this time around, the result wasn't frustrating on top of it! Spain's a great team and the victory was deserved. I hope they can sort things out with the federation and keep up the energy in the team. (Likewise, the Australians. I hope they keep their style of play and work on the things they still need to work on!)

barbk

The coach was suspended by FIFA.

Too bad the Spanish federation didn't have the gumption to deal with it themselves.

skatingguy

decently
Spain's football federation is threatening to sue Jenni Hermosa.

Before the FIFA move, the Spanish federation said it would take legal action over what it called Hermoso's "lies," the BBC reported.

"The evidence is conclusive," the organization said. "Mr President has not lied."

leilaofpaper

Spain's football federation is threatening to sue Jenni Hermosa.

It’s so weird that they’re trying to say he’s 100% telling the truth when there’s video that directly contradicts his story. Also it’s not the coach this time - it’s his buddy the Spanish federation president.

skatingguy

decently
It’s so weird that they’re trying to say he’s 100% telling the truth when there’s video that directly contradicts his story. Also it’s not the coach this time - it’s his buddy the Spanish federation president.
The Federation is claiming the video does the exact opposite, and demonstrates that Hermoso started the interaction and now is lying about it because of extreme feminism.

skipaway

The Federation is claiming the video does the exact opposite, and demonstrates that Hermoso started the interaction and now is lying about it because of extreme feminism.
But didn’t he say it was a consensual kiss? This was before the accusations that she’s the one lying.

Allskate

This just gets crazier:

"It appears that Rubiales - and RFEF general secretary Andreu Camps - were willing to use the potential ejection of Spanish teams from the Champions League, Europa League and Europa Conference League to blackmail the Spanish government into not removing him from power."

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
What the FCUK, Spain.

And of course, a man has to ruin everything. What was, for a moment, a wonderful celebration of women's sport and the most successful women's world cup ever is now going to be remembered for this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information