Royalty thread #15: A New Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
Susan Hussey apologized to Ngozi Fulani in person. I am not sure how else she's supposed to show that she understood what she did was wrong.

It was a single incident (which involved repeated questions). She has, presumably, learned why it was unacceptable to interrogate someone like that, and will do better in the future.

Can we maybe have a single thread for the discussion of whether or not the BRF is racist?
Can we think about why she was confused in the 1st place. Black people have been in England since Shakespeare's time. Has she ever been out of the palace? And what is confusing about "I was born in the UK"? Why would you keep asking? I don't think she was confused at all, maybe she thought she was being funny. IDK

Barbara Manatee

The fact that you think she still doesn't understand what she did wrong makes her toxic in my mind.
I'm sure she now understands why asking a POC where they are really from is wrong - I meant she's likely still working through the more complicated aspects of recognizing bias and racism. Enlightenment doesn't happen overnight.

MsZem

I see the sea
Can we think about why she was confused in the 1st place. Black people have been in England since Shakespeare's time. Has she ever been out of the palace? And what is confusing about "I was born in the UK"? Why would you keep asking? I don't think she was confused at all, maybe she thought she was being funny. IDK
Since none of the people involved are royal, perhaps that discussion can go in a different thread?

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
You have incredible insight into the hearts and minds of people you've never met. How do you do it?
When people do egregious things that are hard to believe they didn't know better & then they immediately apologize it's hard to take them seriously. This woman went up to a woman who was being honored at this event & asked her an insensitive question in front of others & then kept asking it when she didn't get the answer she wanted. Do you really think she didn't know better? If she didn't she's extremely stupid or extremely racist. But ok, she's also really sorry now. :rolleyes:

becca

I really think when discussing racism ignorance and hostility need to be differentiated. It’s unacceptable to assume someone isn’t from the UK when plenty of non whites are born there all the time.

But I don’t think Lady Hussey was coming from a place of Malice or hate.

This is a woman in her eighties.

I must say I once had someone ask me where my half sister was from. Her mom is from Latin America. She is way way younger then me.

I was like she was born here. Because she was.

It was kind of shocking to me because she looks like most of the kids where I live in Texas but it was a another state. The people did say she was beautiful.

So I do get where that kind of stuff absolutely is problematic but that’s where you educate people.

So yes it is offensive but you can educate people to.

I know not to assume everyone who is Hispanic doesn’t speak Spanish because I am around enough people like that. I know not every Muslim woman wears the Hajib because of experiences but not all have had that.

Last edited:

Coco

Rotating while Russian!

MLIS

Today is Prince Edward’s 59th birthday and his brother, King Charles, has granted him the title HRH the Duke of Edinburgh (so Sophie will be the Duchess, and their son, James, takes on Edward’s old title of Earl of Wessex). Edward was promised at the time of his wedding that he would inherit his father’s title when Philip died, but King Charles has apparently been hesitating (as Philip’s eldest son he automatically inherited the title, but when he became king all of his titles merged back with the crown, so this is a new creation of the title, not a direct inheritance). His major concern was that this royal dukedom, usually held by senior members of the royal family, would move further and further away from the crown as Edward’s son and potential future generations inherited it (as is going to happen with the Dukedoms of Kent and Gloucester, two other important titles). So the solution is that Edward will hold it for his lifetime, but James won’t inherit the title. It makes sense, James and his descendants will never be working royals or have need of a royal dukedom (it doesn’t come with extra money or land or anything), and it’s in line with the slimming the monarchy idea, not having distant relations who are not working royals holding royal titles.

There is a difference between the so-called Royal Dukes, which are titles meant to be held by senior members of the royal family (York, Kent, Gloucester, Edinburgh, Cambridge, Sussex) and often revert to the crown or go extinct (no male heirs) and are recreated for another line of the family, and regular dukes (Norfolk, Northumberland, etc) which are strictly hereditary titles.

becca

Today is Prince Edward’s 59th birthday and his brother, King Charles, has granted him the title HRH the Duke of Edinburgh (so Sophie will be the Duchess, and their son, James, takes on Edward’s old title of Earl of Wessex). Edward was promised at the time of his wedding that he would inherit his father’s title when Philip died, but King Charles has apparently been hesitating (as Philip’s eldest son he automatically inherited the title, but when he became king all of his titles merged back with the crown, so this is a new creation of the title, not a direct inheritance). His major concern was that this royal dukedom, usually held by senior members of the royal family, would move further and further away from the crown as Edward’s son and potential future generations inherited it (as is going to happen with the Dukedoms of Kent and Gloucester, two other important titles). So the solution is that Edward will hold it for his lifetime, but James won’t inherit the title. It makes sense, James and his descendants will never be working royals or have need of a royal dukedom (it doesn’t come with extra money or land or anything), and it’s in line with the slimming the monarchy idea, not having distant relations who are not working royals holding royal titles.

There is a difference between the so-called Royal Dukes, which are titles meant to be held by senior members of the royal family (York, Kent, Gloucester, Edinburgh, Cambridge, Sussex) and often revert to the crown or go extinct (no male heirs) and are recreated for another line of the family, and regular dukes (Norfolk, Northumberland, etc) which are strictly hereditary titles.
Charles would have looked like an absolute jerk if he didn’t give Edward that title given his promise and also the fact that Edward and Sophie are really having to step up do all the changes.

I suspect maybe that will be eventually the plan for Williams Kids- George King, Charlotte Princess Royal, and Louis Duke of Edinburgh.

This keeps the Duke of Edinburgh award close to the crown to. I will think it unfair though if one of Williams kids gets to pass down that title

ballettmaus

Princess Iman bint Abdullah of Jordan got married today. The link includes a video clips of the wedding.
It's interesting how low-key it all seems to be considering that it's a royal wedding and compared to European royal weddings.

I love the simplicity of the dress and how it flows. I haven't made up my mind about the lace on top yet but the veil is beautiful. I also like how it looks with the tiara. They look made for each other.

Lynn226

It's interesting how low-key it all seems to be considering that it's a royal wedding and compared to European royal weddings.

I love the simplicity of the dress and how it flows. I haven't made up my mind about the lace on top yet but the veil is beautiful. I also like how it looks with the tiara. They look made for each other.
I agree that others seem over the top. Perhaps there's a cultural difference. I don't know that much about Arab culture. And maybe it's what the couple wanted.

ballettmaus

becca

Camilla sure is not what society would call a beauty but there are many pictures out there where she does look lovely and, most importantly, happy. You can tell by looking at both of them that she is the woman who makes him happy and that she is the love of his life.
I never thought she was that beautiful when she was younger but I actually think she looks gorgeous now for her age

Parsley Sage

The Coronation Invitation was also released.

Vagabond

This is the first time that I have seen the Queen Consort referred to as Queen Camilla since the King's accession, and it is Buckingham Palace that is taking the lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information