Royalty thread #15: A New Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
It's especially relevant because King Charles III is a watercolorist himself. I think it was Sony that used his watercolors for the covers of a series of classical CDs they reissued from vinyl. I remember owning one of them, back in the day.

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
The Royal Family has confirmed that the Prince and Princess of Wales' son, Prince George, will be one of the four Pages of Honour dedicated to King Charles at the ceremony.

The other three Pages are children of The King's friends; Lord Oliver Cholmondeley, Nicholas Barclay and Ralph Tollemache. At 9 years old, Prince George is the youngest of the group.
"The Queen Consort’s Pages of Honour will be Her Majesty’s grandsons, Master Gus and Master Louis Lopes and Master Freddy Parker Bowles, and Her Majesty’s great-nephew, Master Arthur Elliot," the Royal Family announced as part of a social media post.

From a Good Housekeeping article

hanca

Values her privacy
The Guardian had this article today:

I'm not sure it's as controversial as they say to most in the UK. Would be interested to see what other UK citizens think.
To be honest I can’t see anything controversial on them owning land and properties and having income from it.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
If people live long enough their "sins" will be ignored by some people. I suspect older citizens of the UK will not call Camilla queen unless they have to. Why should she have the same title as a woman who spent 60+ years as upright & selfless monarch who didn't commit flagrant adultery? I despise what Charles & Camilla did to Diana esp because she was a young girl who had no defenses. At the very least they should have sneaked around the way most cheaters do. So it's not anchient history to me.

I read today that Charles will have 4 small boys as pages. One is the son of the woman who had an alledged affair with William. /shakes head

Vagabond

If people live long enough their "sins" will be ignored by some people. I suspect older citizens of the UK will not call Camilla queen unless they have to. Why should she have the same title as a woman who spent 60+ years as upright & selfless monarch who didn't commit flagrant adultery? I despise what Charles & Camilla did to Diana esp because she was a young girl who had no defenses.
I think it's just the reverse. Some people never get over their grudges, no matter what the people concerned do or say, whereas those too young to remember often don't share the obsessions of their elders whom they may regard as stuck in the past.

ballettmaus

If people live long enough their "sins" will be ignored by some people. I suspect older citizens of the UK will not call Camilla queen unless they have to. Why should she have the same title as a woman who spent 60+ years as upright & selfless monarch who didn't commit flagrant adultery?
We are the product of our parents, so I don't think the Queen is blameless. She is the one who raised Charles/had Charles in a way that, for whatever reason, made it difficult for him to put down his foot and say "but I love this woman and I'm going to marry her".

taf2002

I don't believe in parent-blaming the parents of a grown man.

Winnipeg

I watched a clip of Charles walking with Camilla and W and K were behind and he, William, really looked peeved. Maybe he resents Charle's decision to raise the big C to Queen status. I think it was shown when they were describing the involvement of C's grandkids in the ceremony??

Jenny

From the Bloc
I read today that Charles will have 4 small boys as pages. One is the son of the woman who had an alledged affair with William. /shakes head

Just a point of order, not sure what age you refer to boys as "small" but they are two 13 year olds, a 12 year old and Prince George, who is the youngest of all the pages at age 9. Full guide here to how each of the pages are connected to the King and Queen.

And of course you said it yourself, alleged affair. Might be true, might just as easily not be true, so in this case, but I sincerely doubt that if it was known to be true by the family, they would make this choice.

taf2002

Just a point of order, not sure what age you refer to boys as "small" but they are two 13 year olds, a 12 year old and Prince George, who is the youngest of all the pages at age 9. Full guide here to how each of the pages are connected to the King and Queen.

And of course you said it yourself, alleged affair. Might be true, might just as easily not be true, so in this case, but I sincerely doubt that if it was known to be true by the family, they would make this choice.
So 2 barely teens, a tween & a 9yr old. I consider them all small. But thanks for setting me straight. It was such an important detail.

I'm not sure infidelity would be a rule breaker for the RF. Esp for Charles.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I watched a clip of Charles walking with Camilla and W and K were behind and he, William, really looked peeved. Maybe he resents Charle's decision to raise the big C to Queen status. I think it was shown when they were describing the involvement of C's grandkids in the ceremony??
They haven't had any joint appearances in awhile, I don't believe, so you probably should check the date of the clip you watched. I doubt any facial expressions have anything to do with the coronation plans.

Barbara Manatee

I sincerely doubt that if it was known to be true by the family, they would make this choice.
I doubt it too. If there was an affair, the last thing the BRF would do is draw attention to it. I can't see Charles risking another controversy at the one of the most important events in his life and his reign. Or William abandoning the discretion that's kept any proof of the relationship from ever turning up. I especially can't imagine the boy's parents throwing their child into the middle of the minefield.

MLIS

Once the decision was made to make Camilla queen, instead of Princess Consort as they said at the time of their wedding, it was always going to be Queen Camilla. Queen consort is a role, not a title. It is used to differentiate between wives of kings and queens regnant (in their own right, as QEII was). Queen FirstName is how the wives of kings are titled. Queen Elizabeth (QEII’s mother), Queen Mary, Queen Charlotte, Queen Adelaide, Queen Anne (Boleyn), back to the queens of medieval times. The Queen or Queen FirstName. They were calling Camilla the Queen Consort for the last few months to ease people into thinking of someone other than QEII as The Queen, but I always believed she would be crowned as Queen Camilla and called HM The Queen. It’s not something new for her or a change Charles suddenly decided to make. It’s always been the title of the wife of the king.

taf2002

I've read this stupid article several times: it says that Kate revealed the "hardest thing I've ever had to do" was the walkabout with Harry & Meghan after QRII's death. I guess she thought they were going to start stabbing her or something. :rolleyes:

It's amazing what dreck the media can make up.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
From the Ludwig Van Newsletter

The Coronation of King Charles at Westminster Abbey will include a children's choir singing "I Just Can’t Wait To Be King" from Disney's The Lion King. The song, written by Elton John and Tim Rice, was chosen for its relevance to Charles's ascension to the throne, and will be performed by a children's choir drawn from London schools. Two other songs from The Lion King soundtrack have also been chosen for the event. | Classical-music.com

BUT WILL THERE BE SKATING?

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Well, the title fits, but the lyrics seem a bit goofy for the occasion. I wonder how Charles will feel when he hears the part about quite so little hair, for instance. :lol:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
It would be more fun if it wasn't, but the final sentence of the original article is:

We hope you enjoyed this feature, which was an April Fools joke from BBC Music Magazine.

becca

If people live long enough their "sins" will be ignored by some people. I suspect older citizens of the UK will not call Camilla queen unless they have to. Why should she have the same title as a woman who spent 60+ years as upright & selfless monarch who didn't commit flagrant adultery? I despise what Charles & Camilla did to Diana esp because she was a young girl who had no defenses. At the very least they should have sneaked around the way most cheaters do. So it's not anchient history to me.

We know Charles and Camilla had an affair but we don’t know when they had one either.

It’s very possible and Charles claims this that Charles DID try to make his marriage work with Diana.

Diana was extremely young when they first married but she was not extremely young their entire marriage. She had her own affairs she also went after married men herself.

I don’t agree with affairs and adultry but I also believe in forgiveness and redemption. There is even a story about something similar in the Bible.

As for William and his alleged affair partner. My understanding is her husband sued magazine’s who were arguing this. I don’t think the monarchy would want to ruin the image of the Wales marriage

once_upon

Better off than 2020
The more I read of what Camilla plans to do, wear, carry of QE2's, the more I think she schemed to be Queen. Of course, it could also be speculation and click bait. I'll wait and see what QC does on coronation day.

But if it is tradition that a wife is Queen, wouldn't the same be true if the husband married to the Queen be King? Why was Phillip always a Prince and not a King?

airgelaal

But if it is tradition that a wife is Queen, wouldn't the same be true if the husband married to the Queen be King? Why was Phillip always a Prince and not a King?
No. The king is always higher than the queen. Therefore, the queen's husband cannot be called king.

taf2002

The more I read of what Camilla plans to do, wear, carry of QE2's, the more I think she schemed to be Queen. Of course, it could also be speculation and click bait. I'll wait and see what QC does on coronation day.

Camilla plans to be invested with an ivory sceptre. I find that insensitive considering the RF's stance on protecting the wildlife. There were others she could have chosen. Even QEII didn't use that one.

Prince Phillip was royal in his own right. But the husband of an English queen has never been called King. IDK why but IIRC there has only been 3 queens: Elizabeth 1 & 2 & Lady Jane Grey. QEI wasn't married & Jane was queen for 9 days so I guess there wasn't the opportunity to create a precedent.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
No. The king is always higher than the queen. Therefore, the queen's husband cannot be called king.
I know in the theoretical land of nobility that the King being male indicates the Queen being female is subservient to the male. But that seems a bit submissive.

I know, I know, I know how the world is. Don't need to beat me with a wet noodle until I claim males are the dominant gender. :rolleyes:

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Camilla plans to be invested with an ivory sceptre. I find that insensitive considering the RF's stance on protecting the wildlife. There were others she could have chosen. Even QEII didn't use that one.

Prince Phillip was royal in his own right. But the husband of an English queen has never been called King. IDK why but IIRC there has only been 3 queens: Elizabeth 1 & 2 & Lady Jane Grey. QEI wasn't married & Jane was queen for 9 days so I guess there wasn't the opportunity to create a precedent.
Uh, Victoria?

attyfan

In addition to Victoria, there was Mary I, whose husband was known as "Prince Philip", but by the wedding, was "King of Naples" and Anne, whose husband was known as "Prince George of Denmark". The only queen whose husband was called "King" is Mary II, whose husband (William III) would not bring his army over to kick out James II unless he was made king in his own right.

airgelaal

I know in the theoretical land of nobility that the King being male indicates the Queen being female is subservient to the male. But that seems a bit submissive.

I know, I know, I know how the world is. Don't need to beat me with a wet noodle until I claim males are the dominant gender. :rolleyes:
I look at this not from the side of gender inequality, but from the side of understanding the practical hierarchy. I understand better when there is no ambiguity of terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information