Royalty thread #15: A New Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattiecat13

I loved Princess Diana back in the day and was not a fan of Camilla but Diana has been dead for over 20 years. It was a tragedy when she died but life goes on. Should Charles have worn a hair shirt for the rest of his life? He and Diana were both products of their upbringing and both made mistakes. It looks to me like Camilla is certainly the love of Charles' life, does her fair share of royal work/appearances/causes, and never complains about her lot in life. Let them have their happiness.

On My Own

After reading the thread, it occurs to me that British Royalty were the OG celebrities. You don't really know why they exist and why they have most of the world in a choke-hold, but they do anyway, and you can't do anything about it.

MLIS

The British monarchy isn't the only one to not name the husbands of queens in their own right as kings. The late husband of Queen Margarethe of Denmark, Prince Henrik, apparently kicked up quite a fuss about it on more than one occasion. And also complained that his son, the heir to the throne, outranked him. The husband of the now-abdicated Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands was also Prince, not King (although I've never heard stories about him complaining). There is a whole generation of queens-in-waiting across Europe (the heirs or heirs-to-the-heir of Sweden, Norway, the Netherlands, Spain, and Belgium are all female) and I expect none of their husbands will be called King.

I'm curious what they will do if one of these female monarchs marries a woman?

ballettmaus

Doesn't the fact that there's no King Consort have something to do with kings are always sovereign? I think I read something along those lines years ago, so I don't recall the details/why a king would always be a sovereign.

cygnus

Prince Phillip was royal in his own right. But the husband of an English queen has never been called King. IDK why but IIRC there has only been 3 queens: Elizabeth 1 & 2 & Lady Jane Grey. QEI wasn't married & Jane was queen for 9 days so I guess there wasn't the opportunity to create a precedent.

There have been more than 3. Mary 1, Elizabeth's sister was Queen in her own right, married King Philip of Spain who was King of Spain. Technically, he was King of England, but his powers in England were much curtailed, and he didn't spend much time in England. He and Mary had no children. Then Elizabeth l , unmarried. Jane preceded Mary and is on record as refusing to make her husband king, although she said she would make him a Duke. As it turned out she had no time to do either.

Then with the Stuarts Mary ll, who along with her husband William overthrew her father James ll and claimed the throne. They reigned jointly as William lll and Mary ll. No children, and he reigned alone after her early death- he was next-but-one in line to the throne anyway, being her first cousin. Next was Anne, who was married to George of Denmark, who was not king, but remained a Prince. No surviving children- despite 17 (!) pregnancies.

Victoria, of course, had Albert, who was made Prince Consort, a title designed to be the title for a Queen's husband, although it has not officially been granted again (Philip was made a Duke instead).

So 7 Queens regnant (including the disputed Jane). 8 if you count Matilda back in the twelfth century, but her claim was disputed by her cousin Stephen- although her son eventually became Henry ll, from whom all subsequent monarchs descend.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I loved Princess Diana back in the day and was not a fan of Camilla but Diana has been dead for over 20 years. It was a tragedy when she died but life goes on. Should Charles have worn a hair shirt for the rest of his life? He and Diana were both products of their upbringing and both made mistakes. It looks to me like Camilla is certainly the love of Charles' life, does her fair share of royal work/appearances/causes, and never complains about her lot in life. Let them have their happiness.
I'm sure it bothers Camilla that I'm not a fan. But I have the same disgust for Charles as I do for Camilla. Except I don't think Charles is a schemer. And he's always been subservient to the strong women in his life.

puglover

It seemed Prince Philip's main issue was with the choice of Windsor or Mountbatten and whether it would be known as the House of Windsor or the House of Mountbatten. Queen Elizabeth was placed in a most untenable position, Queen Mary and Churchill argued for Windsor and Prince Philip was quoted as saying he was "nothing but an amoeba-a bloody amoeba" and "the only husband in the land not able to to confer his surname on his children". The Queen, as she was obliged to do, took the government's formal advice. I think it was later amended a bit as I believe Harry, Meghan and family go by Mountbatten Windsor. However, I believe William's children now have the last name of Wales??

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
It seemed Prince Philip's main issue was with the choice of Windsor or Mountbatten and whether it would be known as the House of Windsor or the House of Mountbatten. Queen Elizabeth was placed in a most untenable position, Queen Mary and Churchill argued for Windsor and Prince Philip was quoted as saying he was "nothing but an amoeba-a bloody amoeba" and "the only husband in the land not able to to confer his surname on his children". The Queen, as she was obliged to do, took the government's formal advice. I think it was later amended a bit as I believe Harry, Meghan and family go by Mountbatten Windsor. However, I believe William's children now have the last name of Wales??
Legally, all of QEII's descendants inbthe male line have Mountbatten-Windsor as their surname when necessary... like when Kate filed a lawsuit against the paps in France for the nude top less photos then took, she filed as Catherine Mountbatten-Windsor.

For school, the kids use the territorial designation of their father's highest title, so George, Charlotte & Louis' surname was Cambridge until Sep 8th, then they were Cornwall & Cambridge for all of a day until grandpa made their dad PoW, and now they use Wales at school, same as their dad and uncle did. The Sussex kids will probably use Mountbatten-Windsor if they attend school in the US as that would be their surname on their birth certificates.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
In addition to Victoria, there was Mary I, whose husband was known as "Prince Philip", but by the wedding, was "King of Naples" and Anne, whose husband was known as "Prince George of Denmark". The only queen whose husband was called "King" is Mary II, whose husband (William III) would not bring his army over to kick out James II unless he was made king in his own right.
And elsewhere in the British Isles it caused a huge controversy when Mary, Queen of Scots gave her second husband, Lord Darnley, the title of King.
Absolutely. Like Gordeeva should have just for thinking about dating again.
Taking me back to the days of reading RSSIF. Some people there thought she should be flayed alive for daring to move on with her life.
I love the royals! I'm going to London in the fall and hope to see a lot of the "royal" sites, including the crown jewels.
You will love it. The display of the crown jewels at the Tower of London is very well put together - you go past on a moving walkway so nobody can hog the view (but you can go round as many times as you like). Westminster Abbey can get crowded, but still worth seeing. If you can, get out to Hampton Court Palace - it's not in central London, but out in the suburbs, which gives you a real taste of history.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
That way, they can be more like every other child in their school than they would if they used the telltale surname "Sussex." ;)
The trauma they'll bear, being the children of someone famous, is one they can share with the Bloom kids. ;)

Parsley Sage

Coronation Quiche

Jenny

From the Bloc
Just realized that the Coronation will be on Derby Day! Happily since I usually do an afternoon-tea-for-breakfast/brunch for royal weddings I can integrate a few classic Derby flavours into the savoury selection, and after the morning's celebratory champagne we can go straight into mint juleps leading up to the race :)

(I'll take a pass on that quiche though - beans in quiche?? We will of course have my own version of coronation chicken sandwiches though :lol: )

Last edited:

Parsley Sage

Just realized that the Coronation will be on Derby Day! Happily since I usually do an afternoon-tea-for-breakfast/brunch for royal weddings I can integrate a few classic Derby flavours into the savoury selection, and after the morning's celebratory champagne we can go straight into mint juleps leading up to the race :)

(I'll take a pass on that quiche though - beans in quiche?? We will of course have my own version of coronation chicken sandwiches though :lol: )
I was thinking of making the quiche without the beans.

mattiecat13

HOW COULD THEY HAVE CHOSEN DERBY DAY AS THE DAY FOR THE CORONATION!
My niece's college graduation is on Derby Day. Her school is located in Indiana so I guess the Derby is not a priority for them, like it is in Kentucky. Her dad, who loves the Derby more than any other holiday, is not pleased. Fortunately, the graduation takes place in the morning so we should be home in time for the Run for the Roses. :gallopin1

I'm going to have to tape the Coronation and watch it later.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I think Charles is making a big mistake with some of his ideas about "stripping down the monarchy". I don't know how true this is but I've been reading that he's considering telling ppl not to wear their fancy robes & for women not to wear tiaras to his coronation. If royals start appearing ordinary & not larger than life fairy tale ppl then folks will start saying why are we funding this lifestyle? Of course some are saying that now.

Vagabond

I think Charles is making a big mistake with some of his ideas about "stripping down the monarchy". I don't know how true this is but I've been reading that he's considering telling ppl not to wear their fancy robes & for women not to wear tiaras to his coronation. If royals start appearing ordinary & not larger than life fairy tale ppl then folks will start saying why are we funding this lifestyle? Of course some are saying that now.
Is there anything that the King could possibly do that would satisfy you? Be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information