Japanese figure skating 2022-23 season news & updates

Hedwig

Antique member
Really surprised that the Japan Fed is sending their B team singles skaters to 4CCs, and sending all the top singles skaters only to Worlds. I don’t think they did this in the past during non-Olympic years. I wonder what the rationale is …. Unfortunately, just feeds into devaluing the event as equivalent to Europeans. 😕
I dont think so. Japan is sooo deep and they have so many deserving skaters. So it makes sense to spread the wealth and their B team is still likely to content for medals.
For countries with less depth or Japan in other years this is different.

Sylvia

TBD
Copying over from the FISU World University Games in Lake Placid (figure skating competition is Jan. 13-15) thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...u-world-university-games.109983/#post-6347989

Team Japan was announced on Nov. 12: https://twitter.com/figureskatingm1/status/1591418844182360067

Yuma Kagiyama
Shun Sato
Tatsuya Tsuboi

Kaori Sakamoto
Mai Mihara
Rion Sumiyoshi

(Alts: Sota Yamamoto, Kosho Oshima, Kazuki Hasegawa; Rinka Watanabe, Maria Egawa, Mako Yamashita)

Selection criteria was published in the document I posted earlier.

Last edited:

clairecloutier

I do wonder a bit if the location in Colorado Springs could be a factor.

As I recall, all the top Japanese skaters participated in 2019, when 4CCs was in Anaheim. So what is different this year? The altitude in CS?

As someone who might be going to 4CCs, it’s a bit disappointing. Obviously the B team is still good, but it’s not like seeing the top 3 guys or Sakamoto.

On My Own

So what is different this year? The altitude in CS?
Much less pressure for ladies as well as men? 🤷‍♂️ No need to stay on your feet constantly and build up your reputation with several contenders gone and half the remaining field injured.

I don't think Uno will show up again though, he already has his 4CC gold.

Hedwig

Antique member
Much less pressure for ladies as well as men? 🤷‍♂️ No need to stay on your feet constantly and build up your reputation with several contenders gone and half the remaining field injured.

I don't think Uno will show up again though, he already has his 4CC gold.
And less depths. The field is insane just now. Especially in ladies. The 4cc team could have been sent to Worlds, no questions asked.

Sylvia

TBD
Link to JSF's ISU Championships selection announcement documents (in Japanese): https://www.skatingjapan.or.jp/figure/news/detail.php?id=179

Worlds 2023 (March 20-26 in Saitama JPN):
Shoma Uno [S1/GPF1], Sota Yamamoto [S5/GPF2], Kazuki Tomono [S3];
Kaori Sakamoto [S1/GPF5], Mai Mihara [S2/GPF1], Rinka Watanabe [S12/GPF4];
Riku Miura / Ryuichi Kihara [GPF1];
Kana Muramoto / Daisuke Takahashi [S1].

Alternates:
Women 1-3: Hana Yoshida, Mone Chiba, Mana Kawabe [S9]
Men 1-3: Shun Sato, Koshiro Shimada, Kao Miura
Ice Dance: Misato Komatsubara/Tim Koleto

4CC 2023 (Feb. 7-12 in Colorado Springs, CO USA):
Koshiro Shimada [S2], Shun Sato [S4/GPF4], Kao Miura [S6/GPF5];
Rinka Watanabe [S12/GPF4], Hana Yoshida [S6/JGPF6], Mone Chiba [S5/J2];
Riku Miura / Ryuichi Kihara [GPF1];
Kana Muramoto / Daisuke Takahashi [S1], Misato Komatsubara / Tim Koleto [S2].

Alternates:
Women 1-3: Mana Kawabe [S9], Rion Sumiyoshi [S14], Rika Kihira [S11]
Men 1-3: Kazuki Tomono, Sota Yamamoto, Tatsuya Tsuboi [S9]

Junior Worlds 2023 (Feb. 27-March 5 in Calgary AB CAN):
Nozomu Yoshioka [J1/S10/JGPF3], Kao Miura [S6/GPF5];
Mao Shimada [J1/S3/JGPF1], Ami Nakai [J3/S4/JGPF4];
Haruna Murakami / Sumitada Moriguchi [S1/JGPF4];
Nao Kida / Masaya Morita [J1].

Alternates:
Women 1-2: Mone Chiba, Hana Yoshida
Men 1-2: Shunsuke Nakamura [J4/S11/JGPF4], Haruya Sasaki [J3/S15]
Ice Dance: Sara Kishimoto/Atsuhiko Tamura [J2]

From the FISU World University Games 2023 thread (figure skating competition is Jan. 13-15 in Lake Placid, NY): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...u-world-university-games.109983/#post-6347989

Team Japan was announced on Nov. 12: https://twitter.com/figureskatingm1/status/1591418844182360067

Yuma Kagiyama
Shun Sato
Tatsuya Tsuboi

Kaori Sakamoto
Mai Mihara
Rion Sumiyoshi

(Alts: Sota Yamamoto, Kosho Oshima, Kazuki Hasegawa; Rinka Watanabe, Maria Egawa, Mako Yamashita)

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
World Figure Skating Championships representative Uno "There are some parts that I am not happy about" The federation "keeps fairness":

Machine translations of Shoma's quote and Takeuchi's response:
"Maybe it's not what I say, but I don't really understand the selection criteria, but there are parts that don't make me happy. I want to do my best.
"It's not for me to say any more. If I say something strange based on my temporary feelings, I won't comment for now."
Yosuke Takeuchi, director of the strengthening department, who responded to the press interview after the press conference, explained in detail the reasons for the selection. When asked about Uno's remarks, he said, "I'm not sure exactly what part I'm dissatisfied with. I will post the selection criteria before the season starts, and after the All Japan Championships, while maintaining fairness in competitions within the year. In terms of words, there are some things that I don't understand specifically, but if I talk clearly, I think they will understand."
 When asked if he would discuss it with Uno himself in the future, he said, "It's not that I won't accept it, but I would like to hear what you have to say."

Sylvia

TBD
Re. the 2023 Worlds selection criteria:
B) Top 2 ISU Grand Prix Final entrants [Mihara 1st, Watanabe 4th, Sakamoto 5th (corrected); Uno 1st, Yamamoto 2nd, Sato 4th, Miura 5th]
C) His/Her top 3 ISU season best scores at the end of the All Japan Championships
③ Comprehensively judging from those who satisfy any of the following, including the players selected in ①② above,
We will select until we reach 3 people.
A) ② is a player who falls under A) B) C) and was not selected for ②.
B) Top 3 ISU World Standings at the end of the All Japan Championships
C) Top 3 ISU Season World Rankings at the end of the All Japan Championships
D) At international competitions dispatched before the All Japan Championships and domestic competitions[*1] designated by the strengthening department
Season Best Total Element Score [*2] Top 3

Top 7 JPN men ISU SB total scores at the end of 2022:
1Shoma UNOJPNISU Grand Prix Final 2022/2310/12/2022304.46S
3Sota YAMAMOTOJPNISU Grand Prix Final 2022/2310/12/2022274.35S
4Kao MIURAJPNISU GP Skate America 202222/10/2022273.19S
8Shun SATOJPNISU GP Grand Prix Espoo 202226/11/2022262.21S
13Kazuki TOMONOJPNISU GP NHK Trophy 202219/11/2022251.83S
15Koshiro SHIMADAJPNISU GP MK John Wilson Trophy 202212/11/2022247.17S
16Tatsuya TSUBOIJPNISU GP Grand Prix Espoo 202226/11/2022244.90S

Top 10 JPN women's ISU SB total scores at the end of 2022:
1Mao SHIMADAJPNISU JGP Solidarity Cup 202230/09/2022217.68J
2Kaori SAKAMOTOJPNISU GP Skate America 202223/10/2022217.61S
3Mai MIHARAJPNISU GP MK John Wilson Trophy 202213/11/2022217.43S
7Rinka WATANABEJPNISU CS Lombardia Trophy 202217/09/2022213.14S
8Hana YOSHIDAJPNISU JGP Egna-Neumarkt 202215/10/2022208.31J
9Ami NAKAIJPNISU JGP Baltic Cup 202207/10/2022205.90J
10Mone CHIBAJPNISU JGP Solidarity Cup 202230/09/2022205.82J
15Mana KAWABEJPNISU GP Grand Prix Espoo 202226/11/2022197.41S
18Rion SUMIYOSHIJPNISU GP Grand Prix de France 202205/11/2022194.34S
21Rika KIHIRAJPNISU GP Grand Prix Espoo 202226/11/2022192.43S

ISU World Standings - current top 6 men & women:
1 3773 Shoma UNO
4 2886 Yuma KAGIYAMA
12 2401 Kazuki TOMONO
16 2009 Sota YAMAMOTO
20 1820 Shun SATO
21 1756 Kao MIURA

1 3808 Kaori SAKAMOTO
4 2874 Mai MIHARA
20 1727 Rinka WATANABE
21 1647 Wakaba HIGUCHI (sitting out 2022-23)
24 1441 Rino MATSUIKE
25 1438 Mana KAWABE
41 1112 Rion SUMIYOSHI

ISU Seasons World Ranking - current top 5 JPN senior men & women:
4 1200 Shoma UNO
8 1080 Sota YAMAMOTO
12 943 Shun SATO
14 885 Kao MIURA
16 835 Kazuki TOMONO

4 1283 Rinka WATANABE
5 1200 Mai MIHARA
6 1195 Kaori SAKAMOTO
14 803 Mana KAWABE
21 648 Rion SUMIYOSHI
22 600 Mao SHIMADA (junior)

Last edited:

clairecloutier

World Figure Skating Championships representative Uno "There are some parts that I am not happy about" The federation "keeps fairness":

Uno is not someone who has ever shied away from competition. My guess is he would have quite liked the chance to win a second 4CCs crown. I think that title is one that he valued, because, as he himself noted in Anaheim in 2019, it was his biggest international outright victory until he won Worlds last year.

I'm surmising that this is, perhaps, as someone suggested, an attempt by JSF just to spread the wealth and get more Japanese singles skaters better situated for next season, with higher World standing and points, etc. They are still sending their pairs World championship contenders Miura/Kihara to CS for 4CCs, which would seem to suggest the singles decisions aren't necessarily about adverse competitive circumstances (altitude) or travel health threats.

I don't like this approach, but the JSF is going to do what it's going to do.

Last edited:

Stephanie

I understand the idea of giving as many skaters as possible the chance to compete in an ISU championship and set themselves up for the following season, but at the same time Kao Miura is getting both 4CCs and juinior worlds. If Shoma feels competing at 4CCs would have helped his preparation for worlds, I would have sent him there instead of Kao.

ross_hy

With the Russians out of the picture indefinitely, I wonder if JSF is also thinking that their A team doesn’t need the 4CC world standing points to get GP assignments, prime starting orders, etc. I understand the spread the wealth approach, but I also wish 4CC could also have the best of the best.

RoseRed

In terms of spreading the wealth, I preferred the approach they've taken sometimes in the past, where the 3rd member of the Worlds team is switched out at 4CCs for the next skater in line. Like in 2019, where the Worlds team was Kaori, Rika and Satoko with Mai as 1st alternate, and Mai got 4CCs over Satoko. That gives another skater a chance, but still sends the top finishers to 4CCs.

I'm happy for Mone and Hana though, and look forward to seeing them compete again.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I think the only assignments that I question are:

1) Rinka Watanabe getting both Worlds and 4CCs - but, it's not as though Sumiyoshi or Kihira were appreciably better than her over the season or at Nationals. As inconsistent as Watanabe is, especially in the SP, I fully expect her to blow it either in Colorado Springs or Saitama and she's going to be lucky to get decent WS points from one of the events, but not both.

2) Kao Miura getting both Jr Worlds and 4CCs - I think a strong argument can be made to have sent Nakamura to Jr Worlds, but it seems like the JSF is really intent on getting three spots back for next year, so they're hedging their bets that Miura will help guarantee that. The Jr Worlds men's field is rather deep, but inconsistent as heck.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
They could have let Mana have 4CCs. She's had a rough season, but she did win a GP medal, and she did beat Rinka here.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I think the only assignments that I question are:

1) Rinka Watanabe getting both Worlds and 4CCs - but, it's not as though Sumiyoshi or Kihira were appreciably better than her over the season or at Nationals. As inconsistent as Watanabe is, especially in the SP, I fully expect her to blow it either in Colorado Springs or Saitama and she's going to be lucky to get decent WS points from one of the events, but not both.

2) Kao Miura getting both Jr Worlds and 4CCs - I think a strong argument can be made to have sent Nakamura to Jr Worlds, but it seems like the JSF is really intent on getting three spots back for next year, so they're hedging their bets that Miura will help guarantee that. The Jr Worlds men's field is rather deep, but inconsistent as heck.
The Japanese men actually have more competition at the Junior level than senior; Memola and Broussard just beat them. Given Miura’s potential I understand the assignment.

I’d like to have seen Kihara get 4Cs because she was skating cleanly even at lower difficulty, but JSF has its plans.

Karen-W

The Japanese men actually have more competition at the Junior level than senior; Memola and Broussard just beat them. Given Miura’s potential I understand the assignment.

I’d like to have seen Kihara get 4Cs because she was skating cleanly even at lower difficulty, but JSF has its plans.
Oh, I don't disagree with the rationale for sending Miura to Jr Worlds. Between Memola, Broussard, Yampolsky, Nordeback, and at least one decent Korean man and another American man, it's a potential minefield to regain three spots, as well as locking up JGP allocations for next season.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
ETA: I'd forgotten to calculate incremental championship points, so I made some changes:

Miura/Kihara and Muramoto/Takahashi train in North America. Japan isn't sending a third Dance or second and third Pairs team, so it's to no advantage to anyone else on Team Japan for them to forego 4C's.

As far as WS points/Worlds starting order is concerned -- caveat: this doesn't take any other internationals before Worlds consideration -- this is what I see:

• Pairs: M/K could only be overtaken by Russian teams and Sui/Han; S/H would need to dust themselves off and win 4C's for that to happen, and M/K would still be in the last SP starting group at Worlds.
  • Dance: Muramoto/Takahashi are 15th on the WS list now, with two couples not skating (Sinitsina/Katsalapov and Papadakis/Cizeron), and barring very unusual circumstances, only three of the four US couples and two of the three Canadian couples who are/could be above them will be at Worlds, so that's the equivalent of 11th before Euros/4C's WRT starting groups at Worlds.
    • If they didn't skate at 4C's,
      • Taschlerova/Taschler would pass them with a Top 10 at Euros
      • Harris/Chan would pass them with a Top 9 at 4C's
      • Kazakova/Reviya would pass them with a Top 9 at Euros
      • Demorgeot/LeMercier would pass them with a Top 8 at Euros
      • Lim and Quan would need to win 4C's to pass them
    • The current estimations for the Dance field at Worlds this year, based on @Karen-W 's and @Andrea82 's posts in the TES Minimums and Dance Hall threads is 30, unless some other teams get the TES minimums in time, so they'd have to be in the Top 15 after Euros and 4C's to skate in the later group, and if two teams drop out (and no more enter), Top 14.
      • 11th would be cutting it close if they didn't skate at 4C's, where there are also cash and prizes. Plus, I'm guessing Zoueva wants them to get as much mileage as possible before Worlds.
  • Men:
    • There's been a bit of back-and-forth about who is eligible and competing for the Men's field, but, so far, it's been 34 at best and 31 at worst (32 before Carillo announced his surgery). 33 or 34 would been 17 in the later half and 32 or 31 would mean 16 in the later half.
    • With Kagiyama and Chen not skating, Tomono is the equivalent of 10th in WS before Euros/4C's. Since he won't be at 4C's,
      • Two of three of Zhou (who I don't think is competing, but I don't know if it's official, so Top 19), Pulkinen (Top 18), and Brown (Silver or Gold) could pass him at 4C's
      • Aymoz and Britschi (tied) would pass him with a Top 5 at Euros ETA: Each could only earn incremental points. Aymoz can't catch Tomono; Britschi would need silver.
      • If a Selevko's wasn't skating, Levandi could pass Sato with silver or gold at Euros.
    • Yamamoto is more vulnerable; he effectively starts at 13th, after Kagiyama, Chen, and one of four Americans are removed:
      • Aymoz needs Top 5 at Euros to pass him [fixed]
      • Britschi needs Top 10 at Euros to pass him [fixed]
      • Sadovsky needs Top 6 at 4C's (assuming he's on either team)
      • A. Selveko needs to win Euros/M. Selevko needs Top 5/Levandi needs Top 9 to pass Yamamoto
      • Egadze would need Top 5 at Euros
  • Women: Sakamoto can only be passed by Hendrickx at Euros.
    • The Women's field at Worlds looks to be 30 at worst, but I'm not sure what the best is. It would mean 15 in the first half, if 30, 16 in the first half if 31 or 32.
    • Mihara is 4th, but without Scherbakova, 3rd for Worlds starting order purposes.
      • Yelim Kim and Haien Lee will pass her by finishing the competition
      • Levito will need 11th or above to pass her with a Top 11
      • Shizas or Thorngren would need to win 4C's
      • Kurakova or Schott would need to win Euros
    • Watanabe is 20th, but less four RUS women and Karen Chen, or 15th for the purposes of Worlds SP starting order. If she weren't skating at 4C's,
      • Up to six of skaters could pass her with variations on winning to Top 6 or higher, the higher-ranked being Taljegard, Repond, Feigin, Serna, van Zundert and Brezinova with more down the list.
      • There are 4C's skaters from countries where they wouldn't be replacing skaters aleady above her and beyond the maximum Worlds spots who could catch her at 4C's. They could be spoilers for points at 4C's.
I think it's likely that Tomono will could be bumped out of the penultimate Men's SP group -- changed because Aymoz and Britschi can only earn incremental points at Euros -- , but maybe by one placement and not enough to drop him to the earlier group. Yamamoto could end up being 16th in ranking, but end up in the earlier group if the fields is 30 or less, although no one knows what Brown's plans are, if he has a choice to make. I also think it's likely that Mihara will remain in the last Women's SP group, ranked 6th among Worlds competitors.

Whether or not WS had any bearing on the Japanese Federation's selections, I think it's a good thing for Watanabe to earn points at 4C's, because the Euros Women's field is thin enough that at least one of those skaters would surpass her in points if her current total remained static, and if the field goes down to 28, she'd fall into the earlier group even if no one passed her with Euro's points.

Last edited:

Karen-W

• Dance: Muramoto/Takahashi are 15th on the WS list now, with two couples not skating (Sinitsina/Katsalapov and Papadakis/Cizeron), and barring very unusual circumstances, only three of the four US couples and two of the three Canadian couples who are/could be above them will be at Worlds, so that's the equivalent of 11th before Euros/4C's WRT starting groups at Worlds.
    • If they didn't skate at 4C's,
      • Taschlerova/Taschler would pass them with a Top 10 at Euros
      • Harris/Chan would pass them with a Top 9 at 4C's
      • Kazakova/Reviya would pass them with a Top 9 at Euros
      • Demorgeot/LeMercier would pass them with a Top 8 at Euros
      • Lim and Quan would need to win 4C's to pass them
    • The current estimations for the Dance field at Worlds this year, based on @Karen-W 's and @Andrea82 's posts in the TES Minimums and Dance Hall threads is 30, unless some other teams get the TES minimums in time, so they'd have to be in the Top 15 after Euros and 4C's to skate in the later group, and if two teams drop out (and no more enter), Top 14.
      • 11th would be cutting it close if they didn't skate at 4C's, where there are also cash and prizes. Plus, I'm guessing Zoueva wants them to get as much mileage as possible before Worlds.
I think it's fair to say that the Taschlers and KazRev are going to finish top 10/9 at Euros, so they'll certainly pass MuraTaka on the WS list. DemLeM - top 8 at Euros is probably the highest they'll finish and it's certainly possible, but not as certain as the other two finishing top 10/9 respectively.

HarChan finishing top 9 at 4CCs isn't out of the question, but not a guarantee - 3 USA, 3 CAN & MuraTaka will finish top 7, for sure, then the fight for 8-10th will be between WangLiu, KoKo and HarChan, IMO.

LimQuan aren't competing at 4CCs, and I don't believe they will be at Worlds either - just Jr Worlds, so they're not in the conversation for Worlds starting order/draw.
  • Men:
    • There's been a bit of back-and-forth about who is eligible and competing for the Men's field, but, so far, it's been 34 at best and 31 at worst (32 before Carillo announced his surgery). 33 or 34 would been 17 in the later half and 32 or 31 would mean 16 in the later half.
    • With Kagiyama and Chen not skating, Tomono is the equivalent of 10th in WS before Euros/4C's. Since he won't be at 4C's,
      • Two of three of Zhou (who I don't think is competing, but I don't know if it's official, so Top 19), Pulkinen (Top 18), and Brown (Top) could pass him at 4C's
      • Aymoz and Britschi (tied) would pass him with a Top 5 at Euros
      • If a Selevko's wasn't skating, Levandi could pass Sato with silver or gold at Euros.
    • Yamamoto is more vulnerable; he effectively starts at 13th, after Kagiyama, Chen, and one of four Americans are removed:
      • Aymoz and Britschi need Top 17 at Euros to pass him
      • Sadovsky needs Top 6 at 4C's (assuming he's on either team)
      • A. Selveko needs to win Euros/M. Selevko needs Top 5/Levandi needs Top 9 to pass Yamamoto
      • Egadze would need Top 5 at Euros
Zhou definitely will not be competing this season - yes, he's announced that he's taking the season off; and Brown will not be at 4CCs since he's skating in Art on Ice the same week.

Pretty sure that Mihhail Selevko is Estonia's representative at both Euros and Worlds - he won Estonian Nats and is well ahead of both Aleksandr and Arlet on the SB list.
  • Women: Sakamoto can only be passed by Hendrickx at Euros.
    • The Women's field at Worlds looks to be 30 at worst, but I'm not sure what the best is. It would mean 15 in the first half, if 30, 16 in the first half if 31 or 32.
    • Mihara is 4th, but without Scherbakova, 3rd for Worlds starting order purposes.
      • Yelim Kim and Haien Lee will pass her by finishing the competition
      • Levito will need 11th or above to pass her with a Top 11
      • Shizas or Thorngren would need to win 4C's
      • Kurakova or Schott would need to win Euros
    • Watanabe is 20th, but less four RUS women and Karen Chen, or 15th for the purposes of Worlds SP starting order. If she weren't skating at 4C's,
      • Up to six of skaters could pass her with variations on winning to Top 6, the higher-ranked being Taljegard , Repond, Feigin, Serna, van Zundert and Brezinova with more down the list.
      • There are 4C's skaters from countries where they wouldn't be replacing skaters aleady above her and beyond the maximum Worlds spots who could catch her at 4C's. They could be spoilers for points at 4C's.
Brezinova won't be at Euros - Czech fed already named Vrankova to the team and Brezinova just had some sort of minor knee surgery last week after Four Nationals.

Sylvia

TBD
I've just bumped up the latest ISU World Standings thread in case people want to continue the non-Japanese WS standings discussion there. :)

ETA:
As inconsistent as Watanabe is, especially in the SP, I fully expect her to blow it either in Colorado Springs or Saitama and she's going to be lucky to get decent WS points from one of the events, but not both.
She only can get WS points from one of those competitions anyway. ;)

Karen-W

ETA: I'd forgotten to calculate incremental championship points, so I made some changes:
None of the skaters have any championship points yet for this season, so incremental points aren't a factor, are they? They're all going to get the full points from Euros/4CCs and incremental points will only affect the WS of skaters who compete in both the continental championships and Worlds.

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ From the Nationals Men's recap article linked above: https://featured.japan-forward.com/...tle-by-a-large-margin-at-japan-championships/
Junior Sumitada Moriguchi was a surprise finisher in seventh at 241.63.
Sumitada, who turns 21 in a few days, competed in the Senior men's event at last year's Nationals as well, finishing 13th (he has an ISU bio for singles though he has yet to compete in singles internationally): http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00112054.htm
He is an ISU Junior pair skater for this season, though. ;)

Uno skated to "Air on the G String" and began with a beautiful quad toe loop, ...
It was a beautiful quad loop (I remember thinking when watching live early this morning 'wow, what a gorgeous, effortless-looking 4Lo to start!').

In the absence of world champions Riku Miura and Ryuichi Kihara, ...
A bit premature but, yes, they're the favorites heading into Saitama. :D

ETA on 12/26: Glad to see these corrections have been made. :)

Last edited:

Karen-W

I've just bumped up the latest ISU World Standings thread in case people want to continue the non-Japanese WS standings discussion there. :)

ETA:

Sorry - I worded my comment somewhat inelegantly. I know she can only get WS points from one of the ISU Championships. My educated guess is that she bombs one of them and she'll get minimal points from that event, so the other one, which she will probably do better at, will earn her the higher points and will be used for WS. ;)

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10

ETA:

The Japanese skaters aren't skating in a vacuum, so what the non-Japanese skaters earn at Euros/4C's impacts the SP/RD start orders for Worlds.

At season end, yes, but whatever she earns at 4C's will be considered for SP starting order at Worlds. Anyone who competes at Worlds without Euros and 4C's can be pushed down the start order list for Worlds.

None of the skaters have any championship points yet for this season, so incremental points aren't a factor, are they? They're all going to get the full points from Euros/4CCs and incremental points will only affect the WS of skaters who compete in both the continental championships and Worlds.
If they have two slots already, 100% from 2022 and 70% from 2021, they can only earn incremental points in 2023: they drop the lower of the two and add the 2023 points from Euros/4C's, if higher than the lower of the two they already have.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Kawabe got the gifts last season...
I remember. But in this case I don't think it would be nearly as much of a gift. She did beat Rinka here. And sending her to 4CCs over Rinka would be a far cry from sending her to the Olympics over Mai.

cheremary

Uno is not someone who has ever shied away from competition. My guess is he would have quite liked the chance to win a second 4CCs crown. I think that title is one that he valued, because, as he himself noted in Anaheim in 2019, it was his biggest international outright victory until he won Worlds last year.

I don’t know what exactly he was referring to either, but have seen speculation elsewhere that he may have been sticking up for his training mate Koshiro only being named second alternate to Worlds after winning silver at Nationals. He did follow up his remark about not being entirely happy with the team selection with “regarding me,” which makes me think his previous statement was not about himself.

The situation is not dissimilar to Ilia or Ross having won silver at US Nationals and not being named to the Olympic team.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information