Japanese figure skating 2022-23 season news & updates

Taso

Triple axels are so exciting to the press - it was definitely a double (her double axels are fabulous, though)

ETA: I have been watching through and the ladies SPs a bit, and I just have to say Mone Chiba was soooooo lovely in the short program. Seen her name, but not her skating before. Just beautiful arms, fluidity, good ways of working with musical highlights. Really rooting for her in the long program!

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
I just have to say Mone Chiba was soooooo lovely in the short program. Seen her name, but not her skating before. Just beautiful arms, fluidity, good ways of working with musical highlights. Really rooting for her in the long program!
Mone Chiba was a highlight on the JGP for me this year (she was the 1st alternate to the Final) - here's her 3rd place Nationals SP video (Fuji TV Sports has uploaded the top 4 women's SPs + Rika Kihira on their YT channel as well as the top 3 women filmed with one camera): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O2QaZXoJ_o (ETA: now needs VPN set in JPN to watch :( - here's an alternate link that works atm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThGDR__ZjO0]

Last edited:

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Mone Chiba was a highlight on the JGP for me this year (she was the 1st alternate to the Final) - here's her 3rd place Nationals SP video (Fuji TV Sports has uploaded the top 4 women's SPs + Rika Kihira on their YT channel as well as the top 3 women filmed with one camera): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O2QaZXoJ_o
That was beautiful. Without being performative Holocaust. So expressive yet precise.

skateycat

One of Nature's Non-Spinners
Mone Chiba was a highlight on the JGP for me this year (she was the 1st alternate to the Final) - here's her 3rd place Nationals SP video (Fuji TV Sports has uploaded the top 4 women's SPs + Rika Kihira on their YT channel as well as the top 3 women filmed with one camera): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O2QaZXoJ_o
In my mostly failed effort to stay up for the women's event, I did get to see Mone Chiba's performance and I was impressed! I woke up in time to see Kaori Sakamoto take the ice, and to my disappointment, proceeded to fall right back asleep.:( So I'm glad you shared this.

sk8nlizard

In my mostly failed effort to stay up for the women's event, I did get to see Mone Chiba's performance and I was impressed! I woke up in time to see Kaori Sakamoto take the ice, and to my disappointment, proceeded to fall right back asleep.:( So I'm glad you shared this.
I remember her from the JGP and she is one of my favorites. I worry bc she doesn’t have the triple axel like many Japanese Juniors, but besides Mai and KaorI, the Japanese Seniors aren’t super consistent. Since she’s older than many of the Juniors, she might be able to nab some of those Senior assignments. She is an absolutely gorgeous skater.

Sylvia

TBD
Article on Mai Mihara by Nick Zaccardi (Dec. 22):
Mai Mihara did not make Japan’s figure skating team for either of the last two Olympics. Her lone world championships appearance was six seasons ago. At one point, she went 20 months between competitions. She began this year without a top-level victory since 2017.
She will end it undefeated internationally in 2022, winning four titles and staking a claim as the world’s best.
No wonder the single word she repeated in interviews after bagging her biggest crown yet, the Grand Prix Final two weeks ago: Surprised.
“My own feeling was that I just remembered how I could not make it to the podium until now,” Mihara, 23, said through a translator. “I quite suffered in my own situation.”

japanice

Triple axels are so exciting to the press - it was definitely a double (her double axels are fabulous, though)

ETA: I have been watching through and the ladies SPs a bit, and I just have to say Mone Chiba was soooooo lovely in the short program. Seen her name, but not her skating before. Just beautiful arms, fluidity, good ways of working with musical highlights. Really rooting for her in the long program!

The story says double axel. Looks like the headline was incorrect.

kre56

I thought Mona China was lovely also but the 3-3 looked short on both jumps in the replay…

Stephanie

I just saw this on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/midorimoonlight
@midorimoonlight
·
18m

jsf criteria worlds spots 1st spot: national champion 2nd spot: a skater being either 2nd/3rd at nats, top 2 at gpf or top 3 highest SB 3rd spot: a skater being either top 3 highest world standings, top 3 highest SB or top 3 highest TES at international and/or domestic events
So it seems that Rinka is the most likely candidate for the third worlds spot (she is in the top 3 of eligible skaters for both season's best score and world standings).
I would be :cry: for Mone Chiba but hopefully she will at least get 4CCs, assuming Shimada and Nakai go to junior worlds (not sure on the exact junior worlds criteria)

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Based on @Stephanie's found tweet, these ladies would be up for consideration

First spot: Sakamoto
Second spot: Mihara (2nd at nationals, 1st at GPF, in top 3 SB, (Shimada, finished 3rd at nationals, and is in the top 3 highest SBs but too young) the third highest SB score among age-eligibles is Watanabe
Third Spot: WS: Mihara and Watanabe; SB: Mihara, *Watanabe (if Shimada doesn't count); top 3 TES from international senior events as listed on ISU tech minimums site: [Sakamoto], *Matsuike (from last season's 2022 Challenge Cup), Watanabe, Mihara

Watanabe's struggles with the SP could make worlds a real nailbiter. :shuffle:

Last edited:

Hedwig

Antique member
So there is no way Mone Chiba gets the World spot? I love Rinka but Mone was fabulous and outscored her like there is no tomorrow

Sylvia

TBD
So it seems that Rinka is the most likely candidate for the third worlds spot (she is in the top 3 of eligible skaters for both season's best score and world standings).
I would be :cry: for Mone Chiba but hopefully she will at least get 4CCs, assuming Shimada and Nakai go to junior worlds (not sure on the exact junior worlds criteria)
Link to the JSF's international selection criteria document in Japanese as of Sept. 1, 2022: https://www.skatingjapan.or.jp/common/img/info/20220901_fs_senkokijun.pdf

Machine translation (pages 1-3 are re. the 2023 ISU Championships):

1. World Figure Skating Championships (3 men's and women's singles, 3 pairs, 1 ice dance)

1) Male and female single
(1) Select the winner of the All Japan Championships [Sakamoto; (likely) Uno].
(2) One person will be selected based on a comprehensive judgment from those who satisfy one of the following conditions.
A) All Japan Championship 2nd and 3rd place athletes [Mihara, Shimada & Nakai are too young, Chiba in 5th is next age-eligible with the senior minimums; men TBD]
B) Top 2 ISU Grand Prix Final entrants [Mihara 1st, Watanabe 4th, Sakamoto 6th; Uno 1st, Yamamoto 2nd, Sato 4th, Miura 5th]
C) His/Her top 3 ISU season best scores at the end of the All Japan Championships
③ Comprehensively judging from those who satisfy any of the following, including the players selected in ①② above,
We will select until we reach 3 people.
A) ② is a player who falls under A) B) C) and was not selected for ②.
B) Top 3 ISU World Standings at the end of the All Japan Championships
C) Top 3 ISU Season World Rankings at the end of the All Japan Championships
D) At international competitions dispatched before the All Japan Championships and domestic competitions[*1] designated by the strengthening department
Season Best Total Element Score [*2] Top 3

(2) Pair ice dance
Selection will be made based on comprehensive judgment from groups that meet one of the following conditions.
A) All Japan Championship Winners, 2nd and 3rd Places
B) Their top ISU World Standing group at the end of the All Japan Championships
C) The group with the highest ISU Season Best Score at the end of the All Japan Championships
* Participation in the All Japan Championships, which is the final selection, is mandatory. (The selection of substitutes is not limited to this.)
However, a player who has a track record of finishing in the top 3 of the world championships in the past may not be able to participate due to unavoidable reasons such as injury.
If the athlete cannot participate in the All Japan Championships, the same athlete before the occurrence of the injury or other circumstances that caused the non-participation
The results of the competition will be evaluated according to the above selection criteria, and the selection may be made while looking at the state at the time of the World Championships.

2. Four Continents Figure Skating Championships (Men's and Women's Singles, Pairs, and Ice Dance: 3 slots each)
(1) Male and female single
At the end of the All Japan Championships, a comprehensive judgment will be made from those who meet one of the following criteria.
A) Top 10 of All Japan Championships
B) His/Her top six ISU World Standings at the end of the All Japan Championships
C) Top 6 ISU Season World Rankings at the end of the All Japan Championships
D) Top 6 ISU Season Best Scores at the end of the All Japan Championships
E) At international competitions dispatched before the All Japan Championships and domestic competitions[*1] designated by the strengthening department
Season Best Total Element Score [*2] Top 6 players
* Participation in the All Japan Championships, which is the final selection, is mandatory. (The selection of substitutes is not limited to this.)
However, a player who has a track record of finishing in the top 3 of the world championships in the past, due to unavoidable reasons such as injury, etc.
If the player cannot participate in the All Japan Championships, the same player before the occurrence of the injury or other circumstances that caused the non-participation
The results of the competition will be evaluated according to the above selection criteria, and the selection may be made while looking at the state at the time of the Four Continents Championships.

(2) Pair ice dance
Selection will be made based on a comprehensive judgment in consideration of international competitiveness.
* Participation in the All Japan Championships, which is the final selection, is mandatory.

3. World Junior Figure Skating Championships (2 men's and women's singles, 1 pair, 1 ice dance)
* The final selection of athletes will be decided by the selection committee held at the time of the All Japan Championships.
① Select the winner of the All Japan Junior Championships [Mao Shimada and Nozumu Yoshioka].
②Among the athletes of junior age who wish to be dispatched, comprehensively judge from those who meet any of the following,
Including the players selected in ① above, we will select until we reach 2 people.
A) All Japan Junior Championship 2nd and 3rd place players [Mone Chiba, Ami Nakai; Takeru Amine Kataise, Haruya Sasaki]
B) ISU Junior Grand Prix Final Competitors [Shimada 1st, Nakai 4th, Yoshida 6th; Yoshioka 3rd, Nakamura 4th, Kataise 6th]
C) Top 3 of all Japan Championship participants [Shimada 3rd, Nakai 4th, Chiba 5th, Yoshida 6th; men TBD]
D) His/Her top 3 ISU season best scores at the end of the All Japan Championships
E) International competitions dispatched before the All Japan Championships and domestic competitions[*1] designated by the strengthening department
Season best total element score [*2] top 3 players (excluding All Japan Championships)
◉Definition of season best total element score in the selection item
(Consider the higher of the following two)
- Highest total element score in junior competition
・ From the total element score in the senior competition, the step sequence including GOE
Highest score after subtracting points

However, a player who has a track record of finishing in the top 3 of the World Junior Championships in the past has an unavoidable reason such as injury.
If the player was unable to participate in the All Japan Championships due to [injury?]
It is possible to evaluate the results of the above in light of the selection criteria, and to select while looking at the conditions at the time of the World Junior Championships.
* To be a candidate athlete, the athlete must be a member of the Junior Short Program of the current year at any competition of the current year.
It is necessary to demonstrate the ability to perform the jump task and obtain sufficient points.

(2) Pair ice dance
Selection will be based on a comprehensive judgment, taking into account international competitiveness.
* Participation in the All Japan Junior Championships [late November 2022], which is the final selection, is mandatory.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Link to the JSF's international selection criteria document in Japanese as of Sept. 1, 2022: https://www.skatingjapan.or.jp/common/img/info/20220901_fs_senkokijun.pdf

Machine translation (pages 1-3 are re. the 2023 ISU Championships):

1. World Figure Skating Championships (3 men's and women's singles, 3 pairs, 1 ice dance)

1) Male and female single
(1) Select the winner of the All Japan Championships.
(2) One person will be selected based on a comprehensive judgment from those who satisfy one of the following conditions.
A) All Japan Championship 2nd and 3rd place athletes
B) Top 2 ISU Grand Prix Final entrants
C) His top 3 ISU season best scores at the end of the All Japan Championships
③ Comprehensively judging from those who satisfy any of the following, including the players selected in ①② above,
We will select until we reach 3 people.
A) ② is a player who falls under A) B) C) and was not selected for ②.
B) Top 3 ISU World Standings at the end of the All Japan Championships
C) Top 3 ISU Season World Rankings at the end of the All Japan Championships
D) At international competitions dispatched before the All Japan Championships and domestic competitions*1 designated by the strengthening department
Season Best Total Element Score*2 Top 3
So, based on this:

1) Kaori Sakamoto

2) Mai Mihara - seems obvious since she is in ranked in all three of the sub-groups for this spot
A) Mai Mihara, Mone Chiba
B) Mai Mihara, Rinka Watanabe
C) Kaori Sakamoto, Mai Mihara, Rinka Watanabe

3)
A) Mone Chiba, Rinka Watanabe
B) Kaori Sakamoto
C) n/a
D) ???

I suppose, theoretically, Watanabe has the stronger resume, but it's not as though Chiba is chump change, and she outscored Watanabe by 16 points here at the All Japan Championships. It isn't as though this was a close competition and, not unlike Alysa Liu last season, Rinka's been living high on that ISU SB list due to one spectacular early Challenger. If Rinka had scored like she did at SCI or the GPF, then I could see an argument for selecting her for the Worlds team, but she really laid a goose-egg here, and, if I was the JSF, I'd go with Chiba and name Watanabe 1st alternate, followed by Yoshida as 2nd alternate.
(2) Pair ice dance
Selection will be made based on comprehensive judgment from groups that meet one of the following conditions.
A) All Japan Championship Winners, 2nd and 3rd Places
B) His top ISU World Standing group at the end of the All Japan Championships
C) The group with the highest ISU Season Best Score at the end of the All Japan Championships
However, a player who has a track record of finishing in the top 3 of the world championships in the past may not be able to participate due to unavoidable reasons such as injury.
If the athlete cannot participate in the All Japan Championships, the same athlete before the occurrence of the injury or other circumstances that caused the non-participation
The results of the competition will be evaluated according to the above selection criteria, and the selection may be made while looking at the state at the time of the World Championships.
Seems pretty obvious that Muramoto/Takahashi will get the ice dance spot, and that Miura/Kihara will be named for pairs.
2. Four Continents Figure Skating Championships (Men's and Women's Singles, Pairs, and Ice Dance: 3 slots each)
At the end of the All Japan Championships, a comprehensive judgment will be made from those who meet one of the following criteria.
A) Top 10 of All Japan Championships
B) His top six ISU World Standings at the end of the All Japan Championships
C) Top 6 ISU Season World Rankings at the end of the All Japan Championships
D) Top 6 ISU Season Best Scores at the end of the All Japan Championships
E) At international competitions dispatched before the All Japan Championships and domestic competitions*1 designated by the strengthening department
Season Best Total Element Score *2 Top 6 players
However, a player who has a track record of finishing in the top 3 of the world championships in the past, due to unavoidable reasons such as injury, etc.
If the player cannot participate in the All Japan Championships, the same player before the occurrence of the injury or other circumstances that caused the non-participation
The results of the competition will be evaluated according to the above selection criteria, and the selection may be made while looking at the state at the time of the Four Continents Championships.
1)
A) Kaori Sakamoto, Mai Mihara, Mone Chiba, Hana Yoshida, Yuna Aoki*, Mana Kawabe
B) Kaori Sakamoto, Mai Mihara
C) Rinka Watanabe, Mai Mihara, Kaori Sakamoto
D) Kaori Sakamoto, Mai Mihara
E) ???

Kaori & Mai are obvious selections; and the JSF can pick whomever they want from the following five: Mone Chiba, Hana Yoshida, Yuna Aoki*, Mana Kawabe & Rinka Watanabe

Honestly, I'd probably put Yoshida on the 4CCs team with Watanabe, Chiba and Kawabe as the alternates in some order. It sucks for Watanabe, if she doesn't wind up with any assignments, but she really dug herself a whole with a 12th place finish today. She's so high up on the SB list though that she'll get at least one GP next season, probably two in the end, and that's a far cry from the zero she had to start this season.

*Aoki lacks the TES mins, but if the JSF wanted to name her as one of the alternates, they could send her to Edusport Trophy in a few weeks. Or, they can just pass her over entirely.

(2) Pair ice dance
Selection will be made based on a comprehensive judgment in consideration of international competitiveness.
* Participation in the All Japan Championships, which is the final selection, is mandatory.
Seems pretty obvious the JSF doesn't plan on sending a 3rd dance team to 4CCs. Takahashi/Judd's score at the All Japan Championships wouldn't get them in the ISU's SB Top 75.
3. World Junior Figure Skating Championships (2 men's and women's singles, 1 pair, 1 ice dance)
* The final selection of athletes will be decided by the selection committee held at the time of the All Japan Championships.
① Select the winner of the All Japan Junior Championships [Mao Shimada and Nozumu Yoshioka].
②Among the athletes of junior age who wish to be dispatched, comprehensively judge from those who meet any of the following,
Including the players selected in ① above, we will select until we reach 2 people.
A) All Japan Junior Championship 2nd and 3rd place players [Mone Chiba, Ami Nakai; Takeru Amine Kataise, Haruya Sasaki]
B) ISU Junior Grand Prix Final Competitors [Shimada 1st, Nakai 4th, Yoshida 6th; Yoshioka 3rd, Nakamura 4th, Kataise 6th]
C) Top 3 of all Japan Championship participants [Shimada 3rd, Nakai 4th, Chiba 5th, Yoshida 6th; men TBD]
D) His/Her top 3 ISU season best scores at the end of the All Japan Championships
E) International competitions dispatched before the All Japan Championships and domestic competitions*1 designated by the strengthening department
Season best total element score *2 top 3 players (excluding All Japan Championships)
◉Definition of season best total element score in the selection item
(Consider the higher of the following two)
- Highest total element score in junior competition
・ From the total element score in the senior competition, the step sequence including GOE
Highest score after subtracting points
Shimada, of course, by virtue of winning the All Japan Jr Championships.

2nd spot seems to have Ami Nakai's name written all over it, with Chiba as the 1st alternate, and Yoshida as 2nd alternate.

RoseRed

So, based on this:

1) Kaori Sakamoto

2) Mai Mihara - seems obvious since she is in ranked in all three of the sub-groups for this spot
A) Mai Mihara, Mone Chiba
B) Mai Mihara, Rinka Watanabe
C) Kaori Sakamoto, Mai Mihara, Rinka Watanabe

3)
A) Mone Chiba, Rinka Watanabe
B) Kaori Sakamoto
C) n/a
D) ???

I suppose, theoretically, Watanabe has the stronger resume, but it's not as though Chiba is chump change, and she outscored Watanabe by 16 points here at the All Japan Championships. It isn't as though this was a close competition and, not unlike Alysa Liu last season, Rinka's been living high on that ISU SB list due to one spectacular early Challenger. If Rinka had scored like she did at SCI or the GPF, then I could see an argument for selecting her for the Worlds team, but she really laid a goose-egg here, and, if I was the JSF, I'd go with Chiba and name Watanabe 1st alternate, followed by Yoshida as 2nd alternate.
It depends on how 2A) is interpreted. Mone finished 5th, not 2nd or 3rd. So she only counts under that if they take is as 2nd or 3rd of senior-eligible athletes. Which would be sensible imo, but it doesn't actually say that explicitly. I can't remember if that's come up in the past.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Team Japan for ISU Championships:

Worlds: Shoma Uno, Sota Yamamoto, Kazuki Tomono; Kaori Sakamoto, Mai Mihara, Rinka Watanabe; Riku Miura / Ryuichi Kihara; Kana Muramoto / Daisuke Takahashi

4CC: Koshiro Shimada, Shun Sato, Kao Miura; Rinka Watanabe, Hana Yoshida, Mone Chiba; Riku Miura / Ryuichi Kihara; Kana Muramoto / Daisuke Takahashi, Misato Komatsubara / Tim Koleto

Junior Worlds: Nozomu Yoshioka, Kao Miura; Mao Shimada, Ami Nakai; Haruna Murakami / Sumitada Moriguchi; Nao Kida / Masaya Morita

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks @Gris!

Worlds 2023:
Shoma Uno [S1/GPF1], Sota Yamamoto [S5/GPF2], Kazuki Tomono [S3];
Kaori Sakamoto [S1/GPF5], Mai Mihara [S2/GPF1], Rinka Watanabe [S12/GPF4];
Riku Miura / Ryuichi Kihara [GPF1];
Kana Muramoto / Daisuke Takahashi [S1].

4CC 2023:
Koshiro Shimada [S2], Shun Sato [S4/GPF4], Kao Miura [S6/GPF5];
Rinka Watanabe [S12/GPF4], Hana Yoshida [S6/JGPF6], Mone Chiba [S5/J2];
Riku Miura / Ryuichi Kihara [GPF1];
Kana Muramoto / Daisuke Takahashi [S1], Misato Komatsubara / Tim Koleto [S2].

Junior Worlds 2023:
Nozomu Yoshioka [J1/S10/JGPF3], Kao Miura [S6/GPF5];
Mao Shimada [J1/S3/JGPF1], Ami Nakai [J3/S4/JGPF4];
Haruna Murakami / Sumitada Moriguchi [S1/JGPF4];
Nao Kida / Masaya Morita [J1].

Last edited:

clairecloutier

Team Japan for ISU Championships:

Worlds: Shoma Uno, Sota Yamamoto, Kazuki Tomono; Kaori Sakamoto, Mai Mihara, Rinka Watanabe; Riku Miura / Ryuichi Kihara; Kana Muramoto / Daisuke Takahashi

4CC: Koshiro Shimada, Shun Sato, Kao Miura; Rinka Watanabe, Hana Yoshida, Mone Chiba; Riku Miura / Ryuichi Kihara; Kana Muramoto / Daisuke Takahashi, Misato Komatsubara / Tim Koleto

Really surprised that the Japan Fed is sending their B team singles skaters to 4CCs, and sending all the top singles skaters only to Worlds. I don’t think they did this in the past during non-Olympic years. I wonder what the rationale is …. Unfortunately, just feeds into devaluing the event as equivalent to Europeans. 😕

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
In the ladies’ case, I’d guess they want older Juniors Yoshida and Chiba to get points and earn assignments next year. With 4Cs in IS and all the bugs going round, they might also want to protect top skaters’ health, who knows.

Stephanie

Really surprised that the Japan Fed is sending their B team singles skaters to 4CCs, and sending all the top singles skaters only to Worlds. I don’t think they did this in the past during non-Olympic years. I wonder what the rationale is …. Unfortunately, just feeds into devaluing the event as equivalent to Europeans. 😕
For ladies, both Kaori and Mai are scheduled for the World University Games in mid-January, so I can understand why they might want a bit of a break to prepare for worlds given the busy fall season they've had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information