ISU Statement on Russia's war against Ukraine - Participation in international competitions of Skaters and Officials from Russia and Belarus

jlai

Question everything
Zhulin continues to reach new depths of disgusting. He really should be banned at this point.

But also I agree Russia has a lot to clean up before there should even be a consideration of them returning.
I think no skaters should go to him. That said, is there some code of conduct in the ISU rule book to ban him? If not, then perhaps like some censure in the skating community will hurt his pocketbook.

Dobre

Do we know if H/K are going to continue, and if so, have they moved on from Zhulin?
Last we heard, it sounded like they are now planning to continue. They have gone to Spain at the moment, and Khaliavin has been able to bring his family with him. My guess would be that H&K wanted to continue training through Worlds in case the spot opened. Now with Worlds being concluded, they may make new decisions for training on a longer term basis. It doesn't seem likely to me that his family would have come to Spain if H&K were expecting to go back to Zhulin.

---

Moskvina has a lot more experience in her life and I would guess a lot more perspective than the next generation of coaches.

Zhulin is burning bridges right now; and while it may keep him funded for the time being, one of the number one rules of thumb in ice dancing, I think, is don't burn your bridges. Five/ten/twenty years from now, you're going to wind up with someone you burned sitting on the tech panel or the judging panel or at the top of a major committee, with the power to decide whether your dance teams sink or swim. And that's if you still have elite pupils in 5 years. Ice dance is a small world and very trend-driven. The vast majority of elite teams are frequently at the same three or four rinks. It doesn't take a ban to end an elite coaching career in ice dance.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Last we heard, it sounded like they are now planning to continue. They have gone to Spain at the moment, and Khaliavin has been able to bring his family with him. My guess would be that H&K wanted to continue training through Worlds in case the spot opened. Now with Worlds being concluded, they may make new decisions for training on a longer term basis. It doesn't seem likely to me that his family would have come to Spain if H&K were expecting to go back to Zhulin.
They were probably also waiting to see if SmaDia would for sure finish in the Top 10 and earn 2 spots for Spain next season. It's been a long struggle, back and forth, between the two teams, with them pushing each other. I hope they both stay around one more season, at least, to enjoy the fruits of their combined labors over the last 6 seasons.
Zhulin is burning bridges right now; and while it may keep him funded for the time being, one of the number one rules of thumb in ice dancing, I think, is don't burn your bridges. Five/ten/twenty years from now, you're going to wind up with someone you burned sitting on the tech panel or the judging panel or at the top of a major committee, with the power to decide whether your dance teams sink or swim. And that's if you still have elite pupils in 5 years. Ice dance is a small world and very trend-driven. The vast majority of elite teams are frequently at the same three or four rinks. It doesn't take a ban to end an elite coaching career in ice dance.
From your lips to God's ears.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I missed the Russians in Pairs this week, although I suspect Tar/Mor wouldn’t have come anyway and K/F would have had a good chance of beating B/K and P/K. But there’s a dearth of good pairs in general and any absence is felt.

In the other three disciplines the absence was either neutral or, in Women, a plus and a relief. Liza would have been fair competition for the top 6, that’s about it.

Nature abhors a vacuum and within a season or two other new stars will emerge to fill the ranks and styles and rules will change and when the Russians eventually return it will be a whole new ballgame. I understand why some mourn the lost prospects of current Russian juniors who are not personally to blame. They’re just going to be a lost generation, there’s no help for it.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I understand that circumstances were not the fault of the junior skaters and they will be a generation lost.

But so is the generation of Ukraine skaters and in larger numbers a whole generation of children, and young men who are being killed for just living in Ukraine.

It's not the first time that athletes have been caught in circumstances outside their control

I still think their sports program needs to be under some restrictions because of suspected banned substance use.

Lara111

I expect he probably got the tattoo to try to look edgy and rebellious.

If he wants to live outside of Russia these days and go swimming he’s going to need to get that removed.
I hope he removes it. Why people are so nice to the guy with putin tattoo and hate all Russian skaters so much that they are happy that athletes who trained hard all their lives do not get a chance to perform?

Hanna

Skating junkie
Zhulin finally acknowledged Nazarova and Nikitin’s existence, saying they’ve been brainwashed. 🤮

What in the actual feck? I don't want to see his disgusting face ever again.

Stephanie

Not sure where to put this but an interesting update:
https://twitter.com/AnythingGOE
@AnythingGOE
According to Match TV, the ISU intends to move the Russian and Chinese Grand Prix next season, due to the invasion of Ukraine and COVID restrictions respectively. It is assumed steps will be taken towards this at the next ISU Council meeting.

I'm glad to hear that this decision is being made now and not in the fall long after the assignments are done. It will be interesting to see who offers to host. I suspect Italy will get one. I think South Korea would be a good choice but IIRC they have declined in the past (when the Chinese GP was moved to Helsinki and perhaps also this past fall) but maybe with more time to plan it would be more feasible. Other options would be perhaps Helsinki, Germany, and Tallinn?

Karen-W

Not sure where to put this but an interesting update:
https://twitter.com/AnythingGOE
@AnythingGOE
According to Match TV, the ISU intends to move the Russian and Chinese Grand Prix next season, due to the invasion of Ukraine and COVID restrictions respectively. It is assumed steps will be taken towards this at the next ISU Council meeting.

I'm glad to hear that this decision is being made now and not in the fall long after the assignments are done. It will be interesting to see who offers to host. I suspect Italy will get one. I think South Korea would be a good choice but IIRC they have declined in the past (when the Chinese GP was moved to Helsinki and perhaps also this past fall) but maybe with more time to plan it would be more feasible. Other options would be perhaps Helsinki, Germany, and Tallinn?
I think the ISU wanted to wait and see how things stood, on the international/political stage, before they made decisions for the fall, and given that Worlds were happening this month they felt better gathering together for some informal conversations/discussions about the situation and how to proceed. I can respect that course of action, but I'm pleased to hear that they are willing to take this action now rather than waiting for months on end. It will give countries a chance to decide if they want to host a GP now and make a bid rather than wait until August or September. Furthermore, it will allow those host nations the 3 host spots privileges they deserve for taking on the challenge.

Early guesses... Italy, for sure, will bid. Finland, South Korea (maybe?), Hungary (put in a bid for COC last year), Estonia, maybe Poland or Czech Republic. If Georgia had any history of hosting any competitions they would also be on my list, but they need to start out smaller first.

Stephanie

Is there a reason South Korea has declined? Maybe it’s due to the short time constraints? With more time to prepare, they could do it? They seem to hold so many domestic events. The YUNA CUP would be a great name.
I think the first time may have been due to not enough time to prepare. IIRC the ISU went to them first when China decided that they couldn’t host. This past fall might not have worked due to COVID restrictions, which I believe now have largely been lifted.

Karen-W

I think the skaters would love to compete in South Korea - imagine how excited Alysa would be, given her love of K-pop, lol. And, I'd like to believe it could help grow the other disciplines there. But, seeing as they don't have any senior pairs or dance teams (my guess is that Lim/Quan will stay junior next season since they're both young enough and still can use the time at that level), it would basically mean no host spots taken up by teams that can't get an assignment otherwise.

Karen-W

That would be great.

I would even more love a triangle host like Tallinn, Helsinki and Italy sharing a GP and each getting it every three years.
There are several other European countries that have developing programs beyond singles who might like a chance to host. I wouldn't mind seeing one GP up for bidding from any federation every year, especially if China loses theirs permanently (which they should).

screech

I would love for China's GP event to be hosted by another Asian country, but unless South Korea picks it up, who else would have the infrastructure? I know Kazakhstan wanted to host the Olympics, and they have the Denis Ten Memorial, so maybe there? But I think it's more realistic that both the Russia and China replacements will be in Europe. I would have suggested Australia, but they're already hosting 4CC a few months later.

So I'm predicting Tallinn for sure. I'd say maybe Italy again, but they're hosting the GPF. Germany was a regular GP host in the late 90s, early 00s, so they could be a good choice.
They could also do some JGP locations (if not Kazakhstan or South Korea). Aside from the regulars, and those mentioned above, in the last 5 years the JGP has also been in Austria, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Czechia, Hungary, Uzbekistan, Latvia, Croatia, Armenia, Lithuania, Belarus...

Karen-W

I would love for China's GP event to be hosted by another Asian country, but unless South Korea picks it up, who else would have the infrastructure? I know Kazakhstan wanted to host the Olympics, and they have the Denis Ten Memorial, so maybe there? But I think it's more realistic that both the Russia and China replacements will be in Europe. I would have suggested Australia, but they're already hosting 4CC a few months later.

So I'm predicting Tallinn for sure. I'd say maybe Italy again, but they're hosting the GPF. Germany was a regular GP host in the late 90s, early 00s, so they could be a good choice.
They could also do some JGP locations (if not Kazakhstan or South Korea). Aside from the regulars, and those mentioned above, in the last 5 years the JGP has also been in Austria, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Czechia, Hungary, Uzbekistan, Latvia, Croatia, Armenia, Lithuania, Belarus...
Word from some reliable German posters is that the German fed doesn't have the money for hosting a GP.

Hungary was the other European country that put in a bid to replace COC last year, so I won't be surprised if they bid.

I would like to see the 6th GP be a different country every year instead if a set country. Think about how exciting it would for pretty much any country to have the opportunity to host a GP once every 10-15 years. Good way to continue to expand skating's appeal and let fans travel to more places.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Given that both Japan and Korea have big programs and serious skating Feds, I think encouraging skating in Asia is a priority. If Korea doesn’t want it, it should be Taiwan, which I realize is a big FU to China. But they have skaters and have hosted 4Cs and JGPs and that’s enough to qualify.

barbk

Given that both Japan and Korea have big programs and serious skating Feds, I think encouraging skating in Asia is a priority. If Korea doesn’t want it, it should be Taiwan, which I realize is a big FU to China. But they have skaters and have hosted 4Cs and JGPs and that’s enough to qualify.
And my worries about a big FU to China are as big as this violin. Maybe smaller. :violin:

If I had to guess, I suspect China is putting its efforts into X sports and other sports where medals are more likely and training costs much lower.

Karen-W

Taipei has hosted Four Continents four times. There's not been much of a crowd, but Japanese and Korean fans might make the trip.
Thailand's federation has also hosted Asian Open Trophy in the past, so they might be another option in Asia for a one-off GP.

reut

I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere, but Sinitsina and Katsalapov have signed a sponsor contract with the clothing company Zasport. This company has made ROC gear for the past few Olys and also signed Evgeny Rylov (swimmer dumped by his former sponsor Speedo), Sergei Kariakin (chess player banned by FIS for his open support of the war), and Ivan Kuliak (the gymnast who appeared on the podium with Z on his chest).

Zasport is owned by the daughter of an FSB general.

Article in Norwegian
From "RU FS news" thread.
To all those who wrote about "they didn't know"/"they were certainly forced"/"they couldn't possibly..." etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information