Radford: 'I have a totally different perspective' now

Sylvia

TBD
A figure skater in Santiago? Eric Radford’s new role for Team Canada
The three-time Olympian sat down for an exclusive interview at the IOC International Athlete's Forum to discuss his new gig, the age-limit change in skating, his coaching foray and more.
By Nick McCarvel (15 October 2023)
https://olympics.com/en/news/pan-am...o-eric-radford-exclusive-new-role-team-canada
Excerpts:
While his trip to Santiago will offer new challenges, Radford is used to it: He’s not only on the International Skating Union (ISU)’s athlete commission, but also serves as athlete representative on the ISU Council.
In his day-to-day life, he has turned focus to coaching in the Montreal area, too.
“[I now have] a totally different perspective on the behind-the-scenes of our sport,” he explained. “I’ve realised that as an athlete, my vision of my sport is very linear, and very selfish, as well. There's a wide variety of other aspects, from athletes safeguarding to sustainability to the popularity of the sport itself, you know, that need to be addressed and maintained and taken care of.”
“I've really liked having that bird's eye view and seeing the structure of things and being able to use my athletic experience to offer my perspective on the best way to go about these things.”
“I think because I had so much experience as an athlete, I thought, ‘You know, going into coaching this is going to be kind of really easy,’” he admitted. “But it's a unique skill. And I think that it takes a different type of understanding, a different type of analysis. You have to break things down into different pieces that you just didn't have to as an athlete.”
“I have found it challenging but extremely rewarding, and I think I'm starting to learn more about myself as a coach.”
Radford said he’s been more drawn [to] expression on the ice and basic skating technique versus high-level skills, something he said has been surprising.

ignosk8er

Still keeping casual fans' ignorance.
Thank you for this. I saw his story about traveling to Santiago and I couldn’t figure out why he’d be going to the Pan Ams, which I assume is why he’s there.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Thank you for this. I saw his story about traveling to Santiago and I couldn’t figure out why he’d be going to the Pan Ams, which I assume is why he’s there.
The blog or podcast possibilities are endless:

'Where in the World is Eric...Santiago!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information