2024–25 Canadian Men: News and Updates

shutterbug

Rob Brodie's latest interview with Wesley Chiu: https://rwbrodiewrites.substack.com/p/im-hoping-to-ride-that-momentum
Already, that work has begun in earnest. His choreographer, Joey Russell, has already crafted a new short program for him. While Chiu isn’t ready yet to divulge all of the details about it, he does reveal this: “It’ll be different than what I skated to in the past. I haven’t done this style of music since I was really little; I think it’ll be really cool to have a more mature take on it.”

On the technical side, Chiu said the main goal for himself, along with coaches Keegan and Eileen Murphy, is refining the product he puts out on the ice.

“The quad Sal(chow) was sort of a struggle at the beginning of last season; we’re putting that back in and hopefully this year, it’ll be a lot stronger,” said Chiu, who is based at the Connaught Skating Club in the Vancouver suburb of Richmond, B.C. “Overall, I think my focus for this season will be refinement and details, and improving the quality of what I can already do.”

Wesley also discusses the positive impact working with sports psychologist Anne Muscat has had on his skating:
Over the past two years, Chiu has worked with Anne Muscat, a sports psychologist based in Vancouver who has been a mental performance consultant for Swimming Canada’s powerhouse program since 2021. Chiu credits her with being a huge difference maker for the mental side of his skating.

“A lot of visualization, breathing, just creating a routine that I’m comfortable with. That helps me stay calm and feel sort of at home mentally … I think that has played a big role in helping me translate my training into competition,” Chiu said in detailing what he’s learned. “Just being able to stay relaxed … That’s sort of the most important part. I think I’ve really been able to grasp that this season, whether it’s through mental training or the maturity of having a different perspective on competition.”

Sylvia

TBD
Anthony Paradis shared 1 minute of his “chair-ography” exhibition program (filmed by Jordan Cowan) at Marjorie Lajoie’s “Patinage Atypique” fundraiser show last Saturday:

Grayson Long, 16 (placed 7th in Junior at 2024 Nationals, 4th in FS) recently worked with Tom Zakrajsek in Colorado Springs for 2 weeks with a focus on the 3A:

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks for the local article link @shutterbug! I will post the Lake Placid comp. results link in the 2024 U.S. Club Competitions thread in Kiss & Cry when the starting orders are published online next week.

Grand Prix assignments were published on June 9, 2024:
Wesley Chiu: #1 Skate America & #6 Cup of China
Stephen Gogolev: #2 Skate Canada International & #4 NHK Trophy
Roman Sadovsky: Skate Canada International
Aleksa Rakic: Skate Canada International

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information