Russian women news & updates, 2021-22 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
Would you uproot yourself and your entire family possibly forever, ban yourself from your country and be persona non grata with everyone you've ever known, out of spite for former colleagues, or even a righteous desire to bring a toxic practice to an end? I'm not sure I would. This is Russia, the consequences could be dire.
I know it won’t happen, just stating that she would probably be the most likely. Everyone in Russia is falling in line. Liza had liked what Adam had to say but that was gone 24 hours later. Nothing will come of this because anyone that could speak won’t for the reasons you have stated.

Arch-

Saw this too. That's crazy. She also says she's not following the Olympics to avoid getting upset.

Apparently, following the revelations about Valieva, Trusova and Schebakova were required for tests in Beijing, urine and blood. both came back clean.
Since an athlete can be drug tested 365 days a year without notice, I suppose all three will be tested at least once a day. I also bet they will leave China w/in hours after the Games.

Note: Olympic medalists are automatically drug tested on-site w/in an hour post competition by WADA. (Interesting enough, this is also the case when any world record is broken, Olympics or not. Most countries have a after hours hotline now to accommodate that rule.) When a urine sample is required, athletes can collect the sample themselves with a representative of the same gender present to mitigate any suspicious activity. What I didn't read specifically is if places 4-6 are also tested post as well.

The I.T.A recommended 25,000 OOC tests, at least 6 on some athletes from Jan 2021 until Tokyo 2020ne games. And about the same from Sept 2021 thru the start of Beijing.

Which, from what i understand, means the gold standard, that especially a suspended IOC member should at least be accountable for, is that all the ROC girls should have been tested at least 6x prior to the 6 months leading to the games. So 1 or 2 doping tests should, evidently, still be pending at the Swedish lab if it took 6 weeks to process from Dec. 25th 2021.

Last edited:

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Does anyone really think the good doctor and team brought the illegal drugs WITH them to Beijing to give to the athletes? I mean, all it would take is the Beijing organizers going through their hotel rooms and belongings while they're at practice, etc, for any banned substances to be found.

Please, they're not going to test positive while at the Olympics. Extra vigilance will be necessary to catch them at home and I can't see that happening with RUSADA often working in conjunction with people trying to evade detection.

Arch-

Does anyone really think the good doctor and team brought the illegal drugs WITH them to Beijing to give to the athletes? I mean, all it would take is the Beijing organizers going through their hotel rooms and belongings while they're at practice, etc, for any banned substances to be found.

Please, they're not going to test positive while at the Olympics. Extra vigilance will be necessary to catch them at home and I can't see that happening with RUSADA often working in conjunction with people trying to evade detection.
Agreed. But the drugs can have effects for months after being taken. For example the 2 drugs & 1 'accidental' drug that Valieva takes for her 'heart condition' can keep valves or nerves controlled long after the dose leaves the body.

From experience: Valves and nerves act more like a water balloon and less like a rubber band. If over puffed, it can stay that way for a long time before eventually the water inside evaporates or the water balloons gets pricked.

Valves and nerves, like water balloons, do not immediately go back to normal. It could take days, months, years, or only partially, or not at all. Meaning, like using an anabolic steroid, you can do cycles and replace with a masking agent to flush quickly and circumvent each other.

I hate to even say this, but in the ballet world, as long as I can remember, there has long been unsubstantiated thoughts that if a heart medication like the one Valieva tested positive for, is taken continously specially during puberty when the body is growing it will increase your VO2 max as an adult (or at least long enough for the UBC or MIBC Senior Comps. Which can be basic auditions for every major ballet company in the world)

Arch-

That's interesting, @Arch- . I could swear I read that they were only tested once a year out of competition in 2021.
@Coco Interesting. They as in the ROC ladies? Or figure skaters in general? I know, I think it was 2016, Serena Williams was tested over 100x OOC. There was some hoopla about the disparity.

Xela M

Would you uproot yourself and your entire family possibly forever, ban yourself from your country and be persona non grata with everyone you've ever known, out of spite for former colleagues, or even a righteous desire to bring a toxic practice to an end? I'm not sure I would. This is Russia, the consequences could be dire.
Hardly that much hardship to get out of that f*cking country

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
@Coco Interesting. They as in the ROC ladies? Or figure skaters in general? I know, I think it was 2016, Serena Williams was tested over 100x OOC. There was some hoopla about the disparity.

I believe it was the Russian figure skaters. I remember being surprised because I would think that all Russian athletes would get tested more given their country's history. I read it here on this board after news of the positive test became public. For the life of me I cannot find that post because there have been so many since then. Nor can I recall if there was a link in the post or if it was just somebody saying that is what they had heard.

Karen-W

Wondering if are we going to see Tuktamysheva at Worlds....
I wouldn't be surprised. Mostly because if Shcherbakova can somehow pull out a win in 12 hours, she'll 100% skip Worlds - she's already got a World title. The odds aren't in her favor, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Shcher could win, and her odds are better than every other woman taking the ice.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I feel like Kostornaia is the most likely to spill the tea on what’s been happening. She has actively cheered for one training mate over the other and has issues with a certain choreographer in that camp. Someone needs to figure out a way to get her and her family out of Russia and get her testimony.
Ooh great plan. What do I do next?

muffinplus

I wouldn't be surprised. Mostly because if Shcherbakova can somehow pull out a win in 12 hours, she'll 100% skip Worlds - she's already got a World title. The odds aren't in her favor, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Shcher could win, and her odds are better than every other woman taking the ice.

I don't see Anna skipping Worlds ... she loves competing, but hopefully Kamila isn't there and they send Liza instead.

Karen-W

I don't see Anna skipping Worlds ... she loves competing, but hopefully Kamila isn't there and they send Liza instead.
I don't see Kamila skipping - I'm sure she'll want that World title to go along with her other titles - and besides, I think Team Eteri is just ballsy enough to convince her that she needs to go and prove her dominance once more.

Rafter

I feel like Kostornaia is the most likely to spill the tea on what’s been happening. She has actively cheered for one training mate over the other and has issues with a certain choreographer in that camp. Someone needs to figure out a way to get her and her family out of Russia and get her testimony.

Please tell more. Who has she actively cheered for over another? And which choreographer does she have issues with?

muffinplus

I don't see Kamila skipping - I'm sure she'll want that World title to go along with her other titles - and besides, I think Team Eteri is just ballsy enough to convince her that she needs to go and prove her dominance once more.

Oh she won't "skip"... I'm just wondering if there is a chance she could not be allowed to go to Worlds?

Rafter

Interesting she has issues with Danny G.

Kostornaia is my favourite of these Russian “women” (really, this thread title should be changed to Russian girls/teenagers). She has the most innate and beautiful musicality and presentation of them all.

Primorskaya

Hardly that much hardship to get out of that f*cking country
You cannot be serious. Maybe go there before you insult one of the most beautiful and fascinating countries I've ever known. Russia isn't Putin, Russia isn't Eteri, Russia isn't wall to wall dopers and cheats, Russia most definitely isn't whatever politically motivated selective reporting you see on the news. So don't say that unless you're happy to be equated with your own government and all of the worst aspects of your own country, whatever that is.

Xela M

You cannot be serious. Maybe go there before you insult one of the most beautiful and fascinating countries I've ever known. Russia isn't Putin, Russia isn't Eteri, Russia isn't wall to wall dopers and cheats, Russia most definitely isn't whatever politically motivated selective reporting you see on the news. So don't say that unless you're happy to be equated with your own government and all of the worst aspects of your own country, whatever that is.
I am Russian. Born there so know it very well. Thankfully my parents had the good sense to get me out of there. It's a f*cked up country and aways has been, despite its size, beauty and the (historic) quality of its arts

Amantide

As I said above, I am in fact Russian, so know it sufficiently well to comment
I remember you are Russian. I wasn't accusing you of xenophobia. I wouldn't do that even if you were not Russian. But you would agree with me that Russians, just like anybody else, are not a monolith. Some might agree with you and some not and take insult, and rightly so. It's just not fair to condemn a whole country whatever the grievance. If we go down that road the list is long and there are a lot of countries which will make that list. Some of them even considered a "beacon" of freedom and democracy. Let's not go down that road. It's a suggestion, I'm not trying to police your speech. :)

screech

I don't agree with Kamila having competed, however, I do give her huge credit for persevering and giving it her all out there in what was a very tough time for her, whether she knows how people are viewing her participation, or if she's being protected from all the backlash.
I know that I would not have been able to do what she did (though again, I don't think she should have been allowed to go out there and do it).

gatorinfl

Congratulations to Anna and Sasha for their Gold and Silver medals!
Kamila needs a hug, time with friends and family and a trip to Disneyland. She's been through a lot.
My bet is that we’ll hear very little about Kamila from now on. Eteri’s team will try to distance themselves from her. I don’t think she’ll be at Worlds.

Kamila has such talent and beauty and I’m afraid her career is over. Very sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information