Russian women news & updates, 2021-22 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Every indication was the decision was made not to make any changes to the Russian line up for the team event several weeks ago - that wasn't officially announced - but that was what had been reported.
In that case why the farce to watch T/M skate the SP for the fed? They were flawless (Jackie Wang watched it) but the fed chose M/G anyway.

If the decision was already made, why were the athletes not told? False hopes are more painful than honest Answers.

trouble77

Banned Member
I don't think so. I can understand if she was tutoring private students, outside Sambo70. But there is no reason for them to pay Eteri. Eteri also stated that the school helps talented students with the costs of figure skating. Imagine the school helping the students while the teachers ask them money. Would the school allow it. I doubt it.

skatingguy

decently
In that case why the farce to watch T/M skate the SP for the fed? They were flawless (Jackie Wang watched it) but the fed chose M/G anyway.
Tarasova/Morozov were given one of the team event practice sessions but Trankov had said more than a week ago that they weren't doing the team event. The countries who qualified for the Team Event could give the extra sessions for practice to whoever they wanted.
If the decision was already made, why were the athletes not told? False hopes are more painful than honest Answers.
I can't answer that question.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
In light of Vincent testing positive the decision not to split seems cruel. The other women and pairs have a long time to wait. Give them a chance early to compete and medal, just in case. Especially since they would have placed similarly to M/G, Valieva. I hope they can stay healthy, get the chance to compete and medal.

Arch-

Here is my question: Even if Valieva is suspended, wasn't the precedent set with GER that a team can still compete even if only 3 of 4 segments are available? Then take away Valieva's 20pts from the team total. ROC wins Bronze.

Final Team Total:

Gold: USA 66pts (+1 added)

Silver: JPN 64pts (+1 added)

Bronze: RUS 54 pts (-20 subtracted)

Pewter: CAN 54pts (+1 added)

Tie breaker:
1) The highest total team points from the two best places will break the ties:
RUS Pair's 9 & 10 pts
CAN Women's 8 & 8 pts

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Here is my question: Even if Valieva is suspended, wasn't the precedent set with GER that a team can still compete even if only 3 of 4 segments are available? Then take away Valieva's 20pts from the team total. ROC wins Bronze.

Final Team Total:

Gold: USA 66pts (+1 added)

Silver: JPN 64pts (+1 added)

Bronze: RUS 54 pts (-20 subtracted)

Pewter: CAN 54pts (+1 added)

Tie breaker:
1) The highest total team points from the two best places will break the ties:
RUS Pair's 9 & 10 pts
CAN Women's 8 & 8 pts
USA, Japan and Canada would have 2 points added - 1 from each segment of the Women’s competition, so Canada would wind up ahead of Russia and in the medals.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
@Karen-W Would it impact who made the finals?
No. Here's what the standings were after the SP:
RankCountryM SPW SPP SPID RDSP Total
1​
Russia8109936
2​
United States10681034
3​
Japan997429
4​
Canada386724
5​
China5110622
6​
Georgia775322
7​
Italy624820
8​
Czech Republic433515
9​
Germany25018
10​
Ukraine04228

If you remove Russia's 10 points from the Women's event, the standings would look like this:
1​
United States10781035
2​
Japan9107430
3​
Russia809926
4​
Canada396725
5​
China5210623
6​
Georgia785323
7​
Italy634821
8​
Czech Republic443516
9​
Germany26019
10​
Ukraine05229

The tiebreaker would have been between China and Georgia, and would have been the same - two best segment points 10+6=16 for China v. 8+7=15 for Georgia.

And, then, if you remove Valieva's 10 points from the FS portion, the final results would be:
RankCountryM SPW SPP SPID RDSP TotalM FSW FSP FSID FDGrand Total
1​
United States107810358861067
2​
Japan910743010109665
3​
Canada396725697855
4​
Russia8099269010954
5​
China5210623778752

Arch-

Imagine the school helping the students while the teachers ask them money. Would the school allow it. I doubt it.
It happens with music lessons often in the US Schools, both private & public institutions. Every child attends schools paid for by the government, sponsors, or family. Teachers can be paid extra $ from, or on behalf of, a student for 1 on 1 private lessons in vocal, dance, instrumentals (especially piano), ext outside of schooling hours, even if the school itself is free. The teacher's can either pay the school a rental fee out of the fee paid by the pupil, or they can take the pupil elsewhere to a cheaper rental space.

Arch-

No. Here's what the standings were after the SP:
1​
Russia8109936
2​
United States10681034
3​
Japan997429
4​
Canada386724
5​
China5110622
6​
Georgia775322
7​
Italy624820
8​
Czech Republic433515
9​
Germany25018
10​
Ukraine04228

If you remove Russia's 10 points from the Women's event, the standings would look like this:
1​
United States10781035
2​
Japan9107430
3​
Russia809926
4​
Canada396725
5​
China5210623
6​
Georgia785323
7​
Italy634821
8​
Czech Republic443516
9​
Germany26019
10​
Ukraine05229

The tiebreaker would have been between China and Georgia, and would have been the same - two best segment points 10+6=16 for China v. 8+7=15 for Georgia.

I was significantly taken back by Schizas' scores in the short vs Gubanova's. Did I miss something in her stsq to only earn a 2? Gubanova did x3Lz vs Schizas x2A. Judge 1 was especially harsh on all Gubanova's elements GOE.

But especially unsettled w/ Schizas' 32.04 vs Gubanova's 30.66 in Components. I'm having a hard time understanding almost a 1.6pt difference in SCHIZAS' favor. Here is the 2nd mark tech sheet (sorry, haven't figured out how to create or attach a chart):

##SCHIZAS: Scores of Panel J1-J9
Program Components: Factor/

Skating Skills: x0.80/
7.75 7.75 8.00 8.25 7.50 7.75 8.25 7.75 7.75. : 7.86

Transitions: x0.80/
7.75 8.50 8.00 8.00 7.00 7.75 8.00 7.50 7.50. : 7.79

Performance: x0.80/
8.25 8.25 8.50 8.50 7.25 8.00 8.50 8.00 8.25. : 8.25

Composition: x0.80/
8.00 8.00 8.00 8.25 7.25 8.25 8.00 8.00 8.00. : 8.04

Interpretation of the Music: x0.80/
8.25 8.00 8.25. 8.50 7.50 8.00 8.25. 8.00 8.00. : 8.11

Judges Total Program Component Score (factored) : 32.04*

##GUBANOVA Scores of Panel J1-J9
Program Components: Factor/

Skating Skills: x0.80/
7.75. 7.75. 7.25. 7.75. 7.50. 8.00. 7.75. 7.75. 7.75. : 7.71

Transitions: x0.80/
7.50. 7.25. 7.00. 7.50. 7.25. 7.50. 7.25. 7.50. 7.50. : 7.39

Performance: x0.80/
7.50 8.00. 7.00. 7.50. 7.50. 7.75. 8.00. 8.00. 8.00 : 7.75

Composition: x0.80/
7.25. 7.75. 7.00. 7.50. 7.50. 7.75. 8.00. 7.75. 7.75. : 7.61

Interpretation of the Music: x0.80/
7.50. 8.25. 7.25. 7.75. 7.50. 7.75. 8.25. 8.00. 8.25. : 7.86

Judges Total Program Component Score (factored) : 30.66*

Last edited:

skatingguy

decently
I was significantly taken back by Schizas' scores in the short vs Gubanova's. Did I miss something in her stsq to only earn a 2? Gubanova did x3Lz vs Schizas x2A. Judge 1 was especially harsh on all Gubanova's elements GOE.
I'm not sure what you mean here because both skaters did triple lutz & double axel - Gubanova did a flip+combo, and Schizas did a lutz+combo, and then Gubanova did lutz individually, and Schizas the loop. Gubanova had a higher base value, but most of the judges liked Schizas elements more - Judge 1 wasn't particularly harsh on GOE - Judge 3 gave less GOE.
But especially unsettled w/ Schizas' 32.04 vs Gubanova's 30.66 in Components. I'm having a hard time understanding almost a 1.6pt difference in SCHIZAS' favor. Here is the 2nd mark tech sheet (sorry, haven't figured out how to create or attach a chart):
Speed is usually the factor that is hardest to appreciate on television, and I'm not sure how these two skaters compare that way.

You create charts using the 'Insert Table' option in the menu.

Arch-

I'm not sure what you mean here because both skaters did triple lutz & double axel - Gubanova did a flip+combo, and Schizas did a lutz+combo, and then Gubanova did lutz individually, and Schizas the loop. Gubanova had a higher base value, but most of the judges liked Schizas elements more - Judge 1 wasn't particularly harsh on GOE - Judge 3 gave less GOE.
Sorry, the + should be x. I was implying Gubanova's x3lz and Schizas x2a was in the 10% bonus

And thank you for the chart tip, lol! I knew there had to be one, it just wasn't blinking right in front of my face and I actually needed to make a minor effort to find it, goodness 😅 😳 🙃

Last edited:

alexikeguchi

Well the Kamila-cam showed what looked to me like quite a good practice today. She looked very determined but actually seemed to perform for the crowd of reporters at some points. She cracked an occasional smile with the coaching team, and it even seemed from their gestures as she was coming off the ice like they might be joking about her exit path from the practice facility. I'm so glad she looks more at peace, and I hope she gets to skate in the individual event and has the performance of her life even if she isn't allowed to keep her medal. I do believe for the good of the sport and whatever is left of the Olympic spirit that the right thing to do is DQ her, but she's the champion of my heart regardless. I won't accept anyone else as gold medalist any more than I accept Simona Amana as the 2000 All Around gymnastics champion. I hope she is also able to take pride in conducting herself with dignity under incredible pressure and all the cr*p that the adults around her have put her through.

Mayra

Apologies if it has already been posted, but Plushenko has written a message of support to Kamila and her coaches on his IG.

trouble77

Banned Member
Probably because there is a history I between the two schools, Plushenko needed to say this. Regardless of their personal opinions and Instagram battles, Russia is supporting Kamila and I assume her team as a whole.

Arch-

Silly question but....am I missing the forum where people are talking about the Valieva problem?

I'm like devastated that the IOC's hands are tied and RUFED is allowed to do this. It will be the ruin of the Olympic movement. All that was left was the promise of 'fair sport' and if Valieva decides to still selfishly compete this ruins it.

How does a country's federation, that isn't even being represented by Valieva, or any athlete, at these Olympics because of it's suspension, be allowed to give and lift a provisional suspension? The actual entire country is suspended. Now she's still suspended for cheating and allowed to compete, ruining the Olympics for 2 Billion people and every athlete in the world.

A country's federation that can't process a drug sample and has to send it off to be tested by an outside accredited lab. So why instead of sending it to a neighboring country's accredited lab like Belarus or Georgia, they decided to send it to a Swedish lab that is also one of the few in the country that processes Covid-19? And then complain it took 6 weeks, like it has done for the past 18 months? No one wants to watch a cheater win. That is why I'm asking if I'm missing something because if you love Figure Skating and been anticipating these Olympics for years, other people than me have to be really upset that a country convicted of state-wide systematic cheating culture at their own hosted Olympics that has forever tarnished the 'fair play IOC promise is allowed to steal from the world again, while not technically even there to steal it. They are robbing us while they are literally in jail and the judge has to allow it because it's a state issue.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Silly question but....am I missing the forum where people are talking about the Valieva problem?

I'm like devastated that the IOC's hands are tied and RUFED is allowed to do this. It will be the ruin of the Olympic movement. All that was left was the promise of 'fair sport' and if Valieva decides to still selfishly compete this ruins it.

How does a country's federation, that isn't even being represented by Valieva, or any athlete, at these Olympics because of it's suspension, be allowed to give and lift a provisional suspension? The actual entire country is suspended. Now she's still suspended for cheating and allowed to compete, ruining the Olympics for 2 Billion people and every athlete in the world.

A country's federation that can't process a drug sample and has to send it off to be tested by an outside accredited lab. So why instead of sending it to a neighboring country's accredited lab like Belarus or Georgia, they decided to send it to a Swedish lab that is also one of the few in the country that processes Covid-19? And then complain it took 6 weeks, like it has done for the past 18 months? No one wants to watch a cheater win. That is why I'm asking if I'm missing something because if you love Figure Skating and been anticipating these Olympics for years, other people than me have to be really upset that a country convicted of state-wide systematic cheating culture at their own hosted Olympics that has forever tarnished the 'fair play IOC promise is allowed to steal from the world again, while not technically even there to steal it. They are robbing us while they are literally in jail and the judge has to allow it because it's a state issue.
There is a thread about this in GSD.
I highly doubt Valieva herself gets to decide whether she competes or not. Calling her "selfish" in this context is kinda inappropriate.

Arch-

There is a thread about this in GSD.
I highly doubt Valieva herself gets to decide whether she competes or not. Calling her "selfish" in this context is kinda inappropriate.
How so? She is a cheater until she proves she's not. That's not me, that's the IOC Bylaws, protected person or minor not, all it says is possible reduced suspension, nothing about preventional suspension. She definitely knows this or she wouldn't have appealed. It would be morally wrong for her to compete and as a Catholic she knows this. She should know to drop out of respect for the sport & her competitors and if shed done it sooner she could have had Tuk replace her guaranteeing a fair RUS sweep. The appeal process doesn't happen in 24 hours. It took a US pairs skater a year for a makeup confusion. A Gold Medal favorite US sprinter was suspended for the max of 3 months for Marijuana missing the 202One Summer games. I kinda think its inappropriate you don't think it's selfshish ESPECIALLY in this context. Have you not ever been in a competition? Sport, or job, or supporting your family member? Imagine if this happened to them, being taught it's OK to cheat if you're under 16. That's sick and inappropriate.

Sylvia

TBD
There are 2 news/discussion threads in this Great Skate Debate subforum (and another in the 2022 Olympics subforum in Kiss & Cry):

When the news first broke last week: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...drugs-delays-ceremony-for-team-medals.109402/

After the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) announced their ruling on Feb. 14: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ut-plus-some-details-from-the-hearing.109428/

Arch-

There are 2 news/discussion threads in this Great Skate Debate subforum (and another in the 2022 Olympics subforum in Kiss & Cry):

When the news first broke last week: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...drugs-delays-ceremony-for-team-medals.109402/

After the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) announced their ruling on Feb. 14: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ut-plus-some-details-from-the-hearing.109428/
Thank you Sylvia. I'm assuming you'd prefer we'd (I'd) discuss it in those then. Lol.

I hope you, and everyone in this sub, is enjoying their Olympics! Savor it all in because, as we know, WO only exists for 15 out of the 1455 (this cycle bc of leap year) days.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...

It is called SKATING WHILE RUSSIAN. Gives you an extra 10 points.....or 15 if you need it.

Primorskaya

There's a report here that Alena Kostornaia broke her other arm? I guess there is an Instagram story or video from Kostornaia (referenced in tweet).

Saw this too. That's crazy. She also says she's not following the Olympics to avoid getting upset.

Apparently, following the revelations about Valieva, Trusova and Schebakova were required for tests in Beijing, urine and blood. both came back clean.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
I feel like Kostornaia is the most likely to spill the tea on what’s been happening. She has actively cheered for one training mate over the other and has issues with a certain choreographer in that camp. Someone needs to figure out a way to get her and her family out of Russia and get her testimony.

Primorskaya

I feel like Kostornaia is the most likely to spill the tea on what’s been happening. She has actively cheered for one training mate over the other and has issues with a certain choreographer in that camp. Someone needs to figure out a way to get her and her family out of Russia and get her testimony.
Would you uproot yourself and your entire family possibly forever, ban yourself from your country and be persona non grata with everyone you've ever known, out of spite for former colleagues, or even a righteous desire to bring a toxic practice to an end? I'm not sure I would. This is Russia, the consequences could be dire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information