From Russia With Love [#40]: Summer 2021 & into the Olympic season

Status
Not open for further replies.

bladesofgorey

Feromones. He must be releasing them around himself and the female have no chance to escape - they are attracted like magnets.
ick. I've been in close proximity to him and didn't feel the love (thankfully). He does have a thing where he stares intently at pretty much every woman in a rink and makes eye contact which is weird but for a lot of people that sort of thing works (pick up artists are trained to use this technique too) :scream:

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
ick. I've been in close proximity to him and didn't feel the love (thankfully). He does have a thing where he stares intently at pretty much every woman in a rink and makes eye contact which is weird but for a lot of people that sort of thing works (pick up artists are trained to use this technique too) :scream:
He didn't do it to me when I met him 10 years ago, but then again, I was probably ever so slightly above the age range of his female radar :p

skategal

Bunny mama
He did it to me at Trophee Eric Bompard in 2009 (i was younger and cuter then with a haircut similar to Stolbova’s now.)

But the funny thing about it is that I didn’t notice at all and when I finally did I hit my husband’s arm excitedly and pointed to Morosov as a personality of interest in the skating world saying “look it’s Nikolai Morosov.”

Nikki’s face fell and went 50 shades paler as I’m sure he thought I was saying to my husband to go beat him up for staring at me. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I only put two and two together after the fact.

I’ll never forget his face and didn’t understand at first why he would be so mortified to be recognized. :rofl:

Scott512

The concern for the emotional state of this 15 year old girl Kamila should be taken into consideration more than anything at this time.
We've all learned in recent years about tremendous stress on women athletes like Simone Biles at the Olympics last summer and I agree everybody needs to be more open minded and considerate of others feelings even if they're hugely successful. But Kamila did nothing wrong she's a victim who will pay the price for the adult who has changed her career forever. That this is happening to as she is becoming the most unbeatable lady skater of all time.

The main tbing now is for CAS to decide quickly and not drag this out to the day before the ladies event.. Every day KV practices I'm sure she thinks she's going to be in the ladies event.

will they cut her any slack because she's a minor?

Kamilla needs those who love her around her like her parents. What she surrounded by now are sharks.

If by chance CAS allows her to skate in the ladies competition what kind of mental shape can she be in skate at her level?

Last edited:

soogar

Does he have a lot of money though? It seems like the new set of women he goes for are so young that they may be enamored when he showers them with gifts.

Judy

He did it to me at Trophee Eric Bompard in 2009 (i was younger and cuter then with a haircut similar to Stolbova’s now.)

But the funny thing about it is that I didn’t notice at all and when I finally did I hit my husband’s arm excitedly and pointed to Morosov as a personality of interest in the skating world saying “look it’s Nikolai Morosov.”

Nikki’s face fell and went 50 shades paler as I’m sure he thought I was saying to my husband to go beat him up for staring at me. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I only put two and two together after the fact.

I’ll never forget his face and didn’t understand at first why he would be so mortified to be recognized. :rofl:
I am sure you are still cute.

giselle23

That's how I understood the statement too.

There are some things which are not clear to me because I'm really not familiar with the procedure and what it actually means. So, my questions are:

- How important is the B sample and how long it takes? I was under the impression that it is done automatically after you have a positive result with the A sample. Evidently that's not the case.

I'm a bit confused with the wording here. RUSADA having the right to appeal to a decision they took? :confused: But my question is, why is IOC appealing, only, and not also WADA and ISU?
Is it because since these are the OG, IOC wants to go for "better safe than sorry" approach, therefore better prevent her from competing rather than having to then take away an eventual medal from her, in case the violation is definitive, after the B sample results?

I hope I'm clear in what I'm asking.
WADA and the ISU are appealing. The RUSADA is not because it is their decision that is being appealed.

screech

Just came across this article on Yahoo, which states that the legal hearing is slated to begin in a Beijing hotel conference room this weekend, and that 3 judges from the Court of Arbitration will hear evidence and determine whether Kamila can compete in the individual event.

Hopefully it starts first thing in the morning and can be resolved quickly.

IMO, as terribly as I feel for Kamila, and as horrible as the circumstances are, she was caught with a positive test result and therefore should not be permitted to compete. Doping rules are there for everyone. Not for everyone except one person. There was another athlete I read about (I forget who, and which sport) who tested positive for the same substance and was banned for 8 months. It was later discovered to have been a false result.

pointbleu

What I really don't understand is team Eteri had skaters like Anna, Alena and Sasha attempting multiple quads and 3As in international competition way before Kamila hit the scene yet they never, that we know of, tested positive for performance enhancing drugs. Even when Sasha was ultra ambitious and trying 5 quads a program, no positive test. So why should I believe Eteri and her team of coaches are purposely doping athletes now? Why would Kamila be singled out by them? It doesn't make sense to me. There's got to be more going on
You know nothing about doping then, my friend… 😢

reckless

If KV is allowed to skate, does that mean all minors are exempt from doping rules?
Not exactly a precedent you want to set.

It also is worth pointing out that, if KV were 16, she would be treated exactly the same as any adult violator. To get less than a 4-year ban, an adult would need to prove not only that she was not at fault for taking the drug but also would have to prove how the drug got into her system, i.e., revealing if it came from a coach or doctor. The "protected person" status is for an athlete under 16 or an athlete under 18 who has not competed internationally. A protected person does not bear the burden of proving how the drug got into her system and is subject to a lesser penalty ranging from a reprimand to a 2-year ban.

KV's birthday is in April, so the drug test was four months before she turns 16. So any argument that she should be allowed to compete at the Olympics and keep the team medal is basically claiming that those four months justify the difference between no penalty and a lengthy ban.

hanca

Values her privacy
I think they need to request blood tests and hair samples from Sherbakova and Trusova. The problem is that they only rely on urine and would never ask the teammates to subject themselves to testing if they haven't failed a test. I can only imagine what they may find in a strand of Trusova's hair since she has never cut it.
The question is whether dyed hair how would be any good for hair strand drug test.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!

trouble77

Banned Member
Europeans call lawyers "Dr" because of the degree.

The original poster used the word 'doctor' - an interview with a doctor. Using the title Dr. in front of the name of someone with a doctorate is completely appropriate. In the context of the original post the word 'doctor' without any other information didn't make it clear what the interview was about - it was a legal opinion, not a medical opinion - or who the interviewee was - he's a lawyer who specializes in cases before the CAS. The original post was misleading.
I made a mistake. Sorry.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Just came across this article on Yahoo, which states that the legal hearing is slated to begin in a Beijing hotel conference room this weekend, and that 3 judges from the Court of Arbitration will hear evidence and determine whether Kamila can compete in the individual event.

Hopefully it starts first thing in the morning and can be resolved quickly.

IMO, as terribly as I feel for Kamila, and as horrible as the circumstances are, she was caught with a positive test result and therefore should not be permitted to compete. Doping rules are there for everyone. Not for everyone except one person. There was another athlete I read about (I forget who, and which sport) who tested positive for the same substance and was banned for 8 months. It was later discovered to have been a false result.
I believe it was Sergeeva, mentioned by AAPushkin.

altai_rose

KV's birthday is in April, so the drug test was four months before she turns 16. So any argument that she should be allowed to compete at the Olympics and keep the team medal is basically claiming that those four months justify the difference between no penalty and a lengthy ban.
First, I doubt she will get no punishment.

But the age issue — those are the rules set by WADA, to treat those under 16 with leniency. So, if WADA wants athletes to follow their rules on doping, WADA should follow its own rules on those under 16. It’s a irrelevant “what if” she were older than 16, whatever our personal opinions are.

Age can also determine whether someone goes to juvie or to jail and the length of their sentence or face the death penalty.

reckless

First, I doubt she will get no punishment.

But the age issue — those are the rules set by WADA, to treat those under 16 with leniency. So, if WADA wants athletes to follow their rules on doping, WADA should follow its own rules on those under 16. It’s a irrelevant “what if” she were older than 16, whatever our personal opinions are.

Age can also determine whether someone goes to juvie or to jail and the length of their sentence or face the death penalty.
I don't think it is completely irrelevant. My point is that the argument I've been hearing - she should be able to compete and keep the medal because she is a minor and not responsible - makes little sense given how close she is to the age cut-off for protected persons. The penalties for protected persons for a positive test range from reprimand to 2-year ban. I would think age would be a factor in determining where the penalty falls within that range. An athlete who has been competing as a senior international for three years and who is close to aging out of the protected person category should not get the most lenient penalty purely because she is a protected person. If there is no suspension for Valieva, the European Champion and Olympic gold medal favorite, it's difficult to fathom how you could justify suspending any protected person caught doping. That does not seem like a good precedent to set.

Spun Silver

I don't think it is completely irrelevant. My point is that the argument I've been hearing - she should be able to compete and keep the medal because she is a minor and not responsible - makes little sense given how close she is to the age cut-off for protected persons. The penalties for protected persons for a positive test range from reprimand to 2-year ban. I would think age would be a factor in determining where the penalty falls within that range. An athlete who has been competing as a senior international for three years and who is close to aging out of the protected person category should not get the most lenient penalty purely because she is a protected person. If there is no suspension for Valieva, the European Champion and Olympic gold medal favorite, it's difficult to fathom how you could justify suspending any protected person caught doping. That does not seem like a good precedent to set.
This is her first senior international season.

altai_rose

I see what you mean. That makes sense. Though I don't see that the 'European Champion and Olympic gold medal favorite' part is relevant. That seems like giving Valieva a harsh punishment to set an example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information