U.S. Men 2021-22 season news & updates

Cherub721

YEAH!
A rock to finish just barely inside the top 10 most likely? This isn’t Worlds. Doesn’t matter what Brown’s safe placement will do because it doesn’t mess with 2023 spots.

I could honestly understand Brown over either Zhou or Malinin for Worlds for spot-retention purposes, but Olympics? I don't think there's another country in the world who would have left Malinin home.

gatorinfl

Ridiculous, I agree. Is he also a Uzbek citizen like his parents? Would serve the USFS right to lose a future star over this stupid political decision.
Let him go to Russia or Uzbekistan if that’s his choice. But listening to Andrea’s interview, I don’t think he expected to be selected this time. It sounded like he threw in “I deserve to be selected” because he thought he should say it. And then he threw in “ for all I’ve been through.” What does that mean. All he’s been through?

You all know far more than I do about points and the selection process. But to me this is just one senior competition under his belt except for a non prestigious one (can't remember the name) where he placed third.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I cannot believe the USFS is really this short-sighted.

The only thing I can think is that there must be some discussion going on with regard to the TE and whether or not Nathan can skate it. Maybe the plan is to use Jason in the SP because Nathan's ongoing hip injury has caused Team Raf to reevaluate his participation in the TE. I suppose if everyone else bombs their SP then Jason could win that segment. :rolleyes:

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
I think they picked Jason because of Vincent. Because of the tiers, they were locked with Vincent. I think they wanted Nathan, Jason, and Ilia. Jason is more consistent than Vincent and Ilia is untested on the big stage. Jason is another rock alongside Nathan. I believe they wanted two rocks (Nathan and Jason) and not two wildcards (Vincent and Ilia).

That was my thought too. Malinin is untested on the senior big championship stage. Vincent can medal or he could not make the FS. Jason may not medal, but he’s also not going to not make the FS. They wanted stability.

Also, the team event and YNW. I think if Nathan went down, they don’t want to leave it up to the wild cards.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I agree with Becca for once which means Armageddon really is upon us. Skorniakov and Malinina should talk with him about sitting out and then representing Uzbekistan. This really is a scandal and I was 100% ready to say Jason deserved it if he came out on top today. Yet we saw generous call after generous call for everyone not Malinin (aside from maybe one jump for him) and then this.

Willin

Nice move USFS go with the older skater who has no chance at a medal instead of the future of US skating.
Well, Ilia can instead go to 4CC, get the minimums for Worlds, and do well there... But with COVID being what it is he has a great shot at going

But remember the Team event is also part of the criteria. For the men, being so close to the men's competition I would imagine they'll split the SP/FS. Jason has a World mini silver medal. He's beaten a lot of very good skaters in the SP. He could be a very good person to skate that SP in Beijing. Ilia is an unknown factor, and his PCS gets hammered hard by international panels due to both true ability (which will grow) and lack of international reputation. I could see that being a big part of Jason's selection.

Should be Zhou off the team :shuffle: But I'd have removed Brown, too, if we were following the tier criteria strictly.
The groups made the selection hard because they had to prioritize Vincent over Jason and Ilia, while all the other criteria pointed towards Jason and Ilia over Vincent...

becca

Let him go to Russia or Uzbekistan if that’s his choice. But listening to Andrea’s interview, I don’t think he expected to be selected this time. It sounded like he threw in “I deserve to be selected” because he thought he should say it. And then he threw in “ for all I’ve been through.” What does that mean. All he’s been through?

You all know far more than I do about points and the selection process. But to me this is just one senior competition under his belt except for a non prestigious one (can't remember the name) where he placed third.
If he goes to Russia there goes the best USFSA medal hopeful for the next quad. This is insane. Shortsightedness.

ilovepaydays

So what USFSA just showed all young skaters how they will be treated.

He should go where he is appreciated. They were just handed a kid who could be competitive on the world and Olympic stage for quads to come and threw him away absolutely insane.

They’ve done similar things to younger skaters before. They’ve held skaters in juniors internationally when they should have gone on to the Senior GP series. I think they did it to Joshua Farris.

Speaking of Farris, he’s a great example that sometimes a promising skater doesn’t have ton of years in his career. It’s not uncommon for promising careers to get cut short. Sometimes bad injuries happen. What if something similar happens to Ilia (I hope not - I hope he stays until 2026 or even 2030) and this was his one shot at the Olympics?

Last edited:

On My Own

I agree with Becca for once which means Armageddon really is upon us. Skorniakov and Malinina should talk with him about sitting out and then representing Uzbekistan. This really is a scandal and I was 100% ready to say Jason deserved it if he came out on top today. Yet we saw generous call after generous call for everyone not Malinin (aside from maybe one jump for him) and then this.
What calls did you feel weren't made?

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
I cannot believe the USFS is really this short-sighted.

The only thing I can think is that there must be some discussion going on with regard to the TE and whether or not Nathan can skate it. Maybe the plan is to use Jason in the SP because Nathan's ongoing hip injury has caused Team Raf to reevaluate his participation in the TE. I suppose if everyone else bombs their SP then Jason could win that segment. :rolleyes:
I mean… some of these men that will likely be put up are prone to meltdowns. If I’m team USA and Nathan isn’t going to skate the short, I want to put up someone I know I can rely on.

carriecmu0503

What a total joke of a decision. What a horrible federation. Seriously? You are really leaving Malinin home and sending two guys who lost to him by 20 points? You wonder why skating is not taken seriously? Skating is a supposed to be sport, but clearly it is nothing but a popularity contest. I don't know why people even bother to show up to compete anymore! To quote The Cutting Edge movie: "You call this a sport?! Bullsh*t!"

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Team event. I can see that being Nathan (short) and Jason (long). Jason beat Vincent by 11
points in the long. Vincent is too inconsistent.
Why does everyone keep pushing this team event nonsense like it’s 2018 again? There are FIVE skaters in the free skate, one of which is likely to be Canada. It’s not as if the US suffers a lot by having any man not Chen in there, and Rippon was 4th of 5.

GreenGan

I think they picked Jason because of Vincent. Because of the tiers, they were locked with Vincent. I think they wanted Nathan, Jason, and Ilia. Jason is more consistent than Vincent and Ilia is untested on the big stage. Jason is another rock alongside Nathan. I believe they wanted two rocks (Nathan and Jason) and not two wildcards (Vincent and Ilia).
That kinda makes sense for someone like me who doesn't follow men and even more Us' men very closely. Thanks. I do feel bad for Ilia, and I don't see Brown being anywhere near a medal but if it is to assure 3 men for the future competition I can understand that. There's also the team event..

On My Own

I know we're all being uber dramatique, but trying to equate Malinin's skills to Kagiyama is a step too far.
His jumps are better, at least. The rest goes to Kagiyama.
Read the play by play. Browns 4S, second 3A, his short program had an overlooked call, etc. I know everyone is concerned about all skaters getting fair calls but the more everyone else around Malinin didn’t, the closer they were to him in the standings.
If you mean there's a thread for PBPs on this site, then likely I haven't paid to access it.

I agree Brown's 4S looked too short.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Why does everyone keep pushing this team event nonsense like it’s 2018 again? There are FIVE skaters in the free skate, one of which is likely to be Canada. It’s not as if the US suffers a lot by having any man not Chen in there, and Rippon was 4th of 5.
But what if Team Raf has determined that they don't want Nathan in the TE at all? I wouldn't put Vincent in the SP over Jason - you know he's gonna get at least a q on the 4s just like he has all season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information