U.S. Men 2021-22 season news & updates

becca

Ridiculous, I agree. Is he also a Uzbek citizen like his parents? Would serve the USFS right to lose a future star over this stupid political decision.
I absolutely believe Malinin has about a 50% or more chance of being in Beijing. C0vid is too wild for all three to avoid it.
So what USFSA just showed all young skaters how they will be treated.

He should go where he is appreciated. They were just handed a kid who could be competitive on the world and Olympic stage for quads to come and threw him away absolutely insane.

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
Oh for pete's sake, people, get over it. I love the Olympic team choice, BOW matters. Ilia is great but he will be greater one day and his time will come. He still skates like a junior even with the quads, which are beautiful, btw.
Congrats to Nathan, Vincent, and Jason!

jlai

Question everything
Ding ding ding! This is far worse than passing over Miner in 2018. Between the junior international season being wiped out last year and the GPF/JGPF being cancelled due to Omicron, Ilia didn't have a fighting chance to do much more than he did.
Is Jason and Ilia both priority 3? Do the criteria favor one or the other?

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
It’s so true though, Malinin was screwed. He wins both JGP, he can’t go to the Final to further his record (Brown didn’t need the GP), there was no junior season last year, etc.

I also think the USFS has lost their mind on top of being incredibly shady. And if whoever is President now goes in the press room and says Jason is a medal threat like they tried to push for Rippon, I will lose it.

Tesla

Whippet Good
I think they picked Jason because of Vincent. Because of the tiers, they were locked with Vincent. I think they wanted Nathan, Jason, and Ilia. Jason is more consistent than Vincent and Ilia is untested on the big stage. Jason is another rock alongside Nathan. I believe they wanted two rocks (Nathan and Jason) and not two wildcards (Vincent and Ilia).

canbelto

Bravo USFSA for valuing a skater for his contributions, not just flash and quads.

This is absolutely the right decision. It sends the message that committing to skating matters and beautiful skating matters. And quads aren't the be all and end all.

BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The amazing thing about sports is that they are competitions and not lifetime achievement awards.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I think they picked Jason because of Vincent. Because of the tiers, they were locked with Vincent. I think they wanted Nathan, Jason, and Ilia. Jason is more consistent than Vincent and Ilia is untested on the big stage. Jason is another rock alongside Nathan. I believe they wanted two rocks (Nathan and Jason) and not two wildcards (Vincent and Ilia).
A rock to finish just barely inside the top 10 most likely? This isn’t Worlds. Doesn’t matter what Brown’s safe placement will do because it doesn’t mess with 2023 spots.

carriecmu0503

Bravo USFSA for valuing a skater for his contributions, not just flash and quads.

This is absolutely the right decision. It sends the message that committing to skating matters and beautiful skating matters. And quads aren't the be all and end all.

BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It also show USFS does not give a sh*t if the skaters they send can hope to at best skate to a 7th place finish, when they instead could send a skater who could win a medal! Malinin is AT LEAST as good as the young Japanese skater who medalled at worlds last year at age 17!

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
I’m in a bit of a shock. Are they really this short sighted? Malinin was the only medallist to skate cleanly in this competition. He came with amazing quads. He got the silver. Literally did everything. Showed growth in the season. This comp proved an upward trend.

What a complete messed up day of skating where the highlight of the day is now also something that’s going to annoy the crap out of me.

Last edited:

jlai

Question everything
It’s so true though, Malinin was screwed. He wins both JGP, he can’t go to the Final to further his record (Brown didn’t need the GP), there was no junior season last year, etc.

I also think the USFS has lost their mind on top of being incredibly shady. And if whoever is President now goes in the press room and says Jason is a medal threat like they tried to push for Rippon, I will lose it.
But there is nothing in the criteria that definitely put one over the other? Or am I mistaken?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information