2022 Nationals in Nashville

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
At the comps I've been to I've always seen people eating in their seats, both arena food and sandwiches brought from home. I've never thought anything of it.

Some skating competition days are really long, and people get hungry. Also, they may not to have to line up in huge line-ups for arena food during breaks.
Also, people with certain health conditions, like diabetics, must eat at certain times within certain food-type guidelines.

skategal

Bunny mama
I’m not usually opposed to eating meals in the seats but I am reminded of the time I attended Worlds in Edmonton and the woman sitting next to me whipped out a huge bag of vegetables and a huge knife and started cutting them up and eating them.

I didn’t know whether to laugh, cry or run away. :lol::scream:

AnnM

Yet another example of people using C19 to impose their views, which have nothing to do with C19, on others.

Did allezfred impose the no eating or drinking rule at the arena? Obviously not, so your comment doesn't make any sense in this context other than to broadcast, yet again, how much you hate any type of Covid restriction whatsoever. Yay for you. 🙄

The rule was clearly put in place as a C19 preventive measure that has everything to do with C19. It has nothing to do with etiquette other than some people who aren't imposing anything on anyone happen to like it for non-C19 reasons as well.

skipaway

I’m not usually opposed to eating meals in the seats but I am reminded of the time I attended Worlds in Edmonton and the woman sitting next to me whipped out a huge bag of vegetables and a huge knife and started cutting them up and eating them.

She was Canadian, they’re very nice people…I’m sure you were in no danger from a knife wielding vegetable slicer. 😜

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
At the comps I've been to I've always seen people eating in their seats, both arena food and sandwiches brought from home. I've never thought anything of it. I usually smuggle in some chocolate bars for myself.

Some skating competition days are really long, and people get hungry. Also, they may not want to line up in huge line-ups for arena food during breaks.
Move away from your seat bringing your food with you and find somewhere to eat it in the lobby/foyer so you aren’t bothering your neighbours with food smells and chewing sounds. :)

acraven

They've done some work on the steps and walkway up to the south entrance of the arena. They're not perfect, but the scariest part is the area right outside the door, which was smooth ice as of 8:15 AM. If it were larger, it could be practice ice.

D

Deleted member 221

Saying restrictions don't matter - because it's bad etiquette and shouldn't be done anyway - is exactly why people react to the restrictions.
"Well, people shouldn't be eating at their seats anyway...."
"... people shouldn't be flying so much anyway...."
Etc. etc.

NO. Want to change the rule? Change the rule. Don't use the p@ndemic to push your own agenda, whether it's etiquette :rolleyes:, the environment, or anything else. Or tell people who are being restricted that it doesn't matter they're being restricted because they shouldn't be doing it anyway, when it's perfectly legal/customary.

Habs

A bitch from Canada

At Canadians in Edmonton in 2004, a woman in front of me had a loaf of bread and jars of peanut butter and jelly in her bag. She made sandwiches in her seat all week long.
Maybe it was the same woman! :lol:

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Saying restrictions don't matter - because it's bad etiquette and shouldn't be done anyway - is exactly why people react to the restrictions.
"Well, people shouldn't be eating at their seats anyway...."
"... people shouldn't be flying so much anyway...."
Etc. etc.

NO. Want to change the rule? Change the rule. Don't use the p@ndemic to push your own agenda, whether it's etiquette :rolleyes:, the environment, or anything else. Or tell people who are being restricted that it doesn't matter they're being restricted because they shouldn't be doing it anyway, when it's perfectly legal/customary.
I lived for quite a while in Japan where not eating at your seat is the norm and that to me seemed like good etiquette so here we are. Nothing to do with YKW. No konspiracy.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
It seems like it's truly a cultural difference. I went to more than my share of MLB games when I lived in the Bay Area and no one ever thought it odd or wrong to eat in your seat. In fact, IIRC, there were food vendors walking through the stadium/stands throughout the entire game. About the only time you had to leave your seat was if you wanted something from one of the gourmet food stands or an alcoholic beverage.

Carolla5501

IMHO the no eating or drinking was put in place because United States figure skating has learned from the TSA. If you are not doing anything effective you should be doing something very noticeable because theater will make people think you’re protecting them.

I feel significantly less safe now then I did a few days ago. And if I was a skater I would never ever ever go anywhere near the Concourse, and by the way I have seen some of them there. You are now forced into a much smaller area where lots and lots of people are not wearing mask because they have to do all their eating and drinking there. It’s pretty apparent that US figure skating would like to Make sure this turns into a super spreader event

Oh and by the way it is safe for you to eat and drink in the US figure skating suite (which is in the seating area.)

Japanfan

Move away from your seat bringing your food with you and find somewhere to eat it in the lobby/foyer so you aren’t bothering your neighbours with food smells and chewing sounds. :)
I've never been bothered by food smells and chewing sounds - it's only been a few people eating in the stands at the comps I've attended, and the competition is on, so the music drowns out any chewing sounds I suppose.

barbk

If it included raw onions you could have done all three!

Judy

I always ate at the concession area .. once though ate at my seat during practices when nobody was around us.

At the last Cdn’s I was at I had bought a beer in the evening and accidentally kicked it over 😩. That’s a lot worse then people eating because beer really smells.

once_upon

Better off now than 4 years ago? Have TP now
Unfortunately there are few to no large areas like a lobby accessible - to get to one, in the arenas that I've been in you need to exit the arena gates. Which then goes to the no re entry stuff.

The absolute worse smell/food set next to me was 2001 Vancouver Worlds. Sushi. And rather than taking the container/leftovers to the trash receptacles she left it sitting under her seat the entire day.

That's another thing that bothers me - not cleaning up after yourself leaving food trash for housekeeping staff to clean up after you.

Carolla5501

I am happy to report that I see a group of coaches sitting near me in the arena happily chowing down while rusty makes his useless announcements. And unless the ushers start knocking people down I wish them luck. Food and beverage streaming in the entrance near me. 😂

Oh and honestly for what tickets cost the arena should be able to afford cleaning staff.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Unfortunately there are few to no large areas like a lobby accessible - to get to one, in the arenas that I've been in you need to exit the arena gates. Which then goes to the no re entry stuff.

The absolute worse smell/food set next to me was 2001 Vancouver Worlds. Sushi. And rather than taking the container/leftovers to the trash receptacles she left it sitting under her seat the entire day.

That's another thing that bothers me - not cleaning up after yourself leaving food trash for housekeeping staff to clean up after you.
I wonder why people think that is ok?🐷

toddlj

Sat next to Frank Carrol and a few of his friends last night at 1230 club (across from the arena on Broadway) which was one of the few places open between events. Offered him suggestions on the menu. He seemed very friendly and thankful. Tried to hear gossip but didn't get any.

Carolla5501

So in the section I have camped in its me and one other woman

I am illegally drinking my drink and she’s illegally eating food. LOL

We are only 30 seats and five rows apart, do you think that’s safe? Apparently US figure skating doesn’t

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information