2022 Nationals in Nashville

kiss-n-cry

Team Brown
You gotta love these husbands that come with their wives for all event tickets
Mine would never! I have to tone down my reactions in the living room or I'll get a few comments. My dad, on the other hand, loves attending events with me. He also loves chatting up the ladies. He was starstruck meeting Carol Heiss Jenkins in 2020. He is almost 82, so there you go.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
So is there going to be a mini country-music concert (a set of 4-5 songs) during every zamboni break? I quite enjoyed Ruthie (name?) during the Sr Pairs resurfacing.

Carolla5501

Well we have proof that United States Figure skating is run by idiots

they have put up little signs all over the arena that in an abundance of caution you can’t eat or drink in the seating area because that’s dangerous. Oh yes the sitting area where I have tons and tons of room all around me, instead what I should do is come out in lobby and be crowded with lots of other people eat with out masks because that’s safer.

I guess they’re afraid the germs can travel from your seat to the skaters. If that’s the case they have found an entirely new transmission system unheard of by science lol

And I plan to ignore this little sign

sk9tingfan

Well we have proof that United States Figure skating is run by idiots

they have put up little signs all over the arena that in an abundance of caution you can’t eat or drink in the seating area because that’s dangerous. Oh yes the sitting area where I have tons and tons of room all around me, instead what I should do is come out in lobby and be crowded with lots of other people eat with out masks because that’s safer.

I guess they’re afraid the germs can travel from your seat to the skaters. If that’s the case they have found an entirely new transmission system unheard of by science lol

And I plan to ignore this little sign
Anyone with any sense should not go near the eating area due people density. On the other hand, there is science supporting USFSA's stance that eating and drinking in the arena is prohibited. If you're unable to access this link due to references. Google the Yale School of Public Health study. While USFSA's primary concern is their skater, spectators do not remain immune to the phenomena discussed here

Carolla5501

Good luck to the arena enforcing that one, especially if there are limited food options inside the arena.
Limited would be an overstatement
See you on Twitter :lol:. Or, if you're lucky, you'll make the next Christine Brennan article.

Grab that screenshot fast I only take my mask off for just a few seconds. It’s on between bites or sips. but I won’t even know if I’m on Twitter. I find it pretty worthless

Carolla5501

If USFSA was concerned about spectators they would not force them into a crowded area in a big group without masks😂😂

Judy

Mine would never! I have to tone down my reactions in the living room or I'll get a few comments. My dad, on the other hand, loves attending events with me. He also loves chatting up the ladies. He was starstruck meeting Carol Heiss Jenkins in 2020. He is almost 82, so there you go.
Awwwhh .. that’s how I started watching figure skating as a child. My dad and I and my mom would sometimes watch. We went to shows too 😁. He has passed away but I have good memories.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Question for those staying at the Renaissance - were you able to walk through the 5th and Broadway building to get to the hotel after the Jr RD last night? I'm going to be solo and was hoping I won't have to walk on the street at night by myself after events.
Yes. Have done it several times. You enter the Rennaisance from the 2nd floor of the mall and you'll be on the lobby floor of the hotel. If you try to enter from the 1st floor of the mall, you get stuck in the bowels of their conference area where there are a series of stairwells that don't go anywhere. (Don't ask me how I know this. :lol:)

Heaven forbid there are any FSU breakfast or dinner or drink meet-ups this week.
There are not.

And in Germany for example people always remove their mask in restaurants as soon as they sit down (might not be what makes the most sense, but is just what is established behavior), so I'm sure for example Germans would never even get the idea to keep the mask on when not eating in a breakfast room.
This is my take on masks in restaurants... While I keep mine on when I am not eating as a courtesy to the servers, the whole idea that you can eat and drink for 20-30 minutes without a mask and it's safe but if you don't wear your mask for the 5-10 minutes it takes to order and get your drinks and the 5-10 minutes it takes to get the check and pay, now it's not safe is just dumb. I don't blame people who don't wear masks in restaurants the whole time.

Empty water bottles are explicitly allowed. Food and beverages are forbidden, but many people have carried snacks into the arena. Bags are being X-rayed, so I think beverages would probably be noticed. Food is best carried into the arena in your pockets. The arena would have the right to confiscate food or drink found in your bag, and I have certainly seen that done at some earlier Nationals.
I brought in a take-home box of dinner yesterday. I didn't even try to hide it. One of the security people gave me a look, but that was it. They don't seem to care. I got more flack over having nail clippers in my bag.

I think not testing everyone everyday is a huge flaw. Brandon didn’t have to get tested. And who knows if he was starting to feel sick when he practiced the day before. It could have been a cold or allergies…but it wasn’t.
But they didn’t require testing except day 4. And it seems they’re not (from what I recall) testing close contacts either. Schools recommend “test and stay” for close contacts— meaning that if you are a contact, you take a rapid test in morning & if it’s negative you get to stay. It’s not perfect (nor are the tests) but it definitely does catch some asymptomatic cases.

USFS should at least be requiring this.
The government is asking people not to test asymptomatic people because of a shortage of tests and to save them for people with symptoms.

But the thing is that USFS should've been organised with a new variant in mind - we've had quite a few now and have always known they were coming.
Seriously? They should have magically known that a very contagious (but milder) variant would PEAK the week of Nationals? Should they also have predicted it would snow and shut down the city? :lol:

The only thing I think USFS could have done was cancel the audience and refund everyone's money. Their hands were pretty much tied on everything else. I can see why they didn't. But if they knew it would snow too, I bet they would have!

But I'm sure they could have preordered 2-3000 do it yourself tests if they had started to by Dec. 20 (a date by which it was known Omicron could infect vaccinated people). The small town CVS I bought my test on Monday got in over 100 that morning, so these things are not exactly as scarce as Vermeer paintings.
They are in my town. They come in in the AM and are gone in an hour.

Rusty announced no food or drink allowed in the seating area.
I don't know what happened -- maybe it was Brandon testing positive, maybe it was Brennan's article. Or maybe both. But everything has stepped up today. The sweepers all were wearing masks today. They announced no eating and drinking in the arena, only on the concourse. Lots of reminders to wear masks. Let's see what else they do tomorrow. 🤔

Also, they announced no drinking and eating after most of us were seated. Which is a bit late, tbh. I think there will be better compliance tomorrow as the word spreads and people don't plan their day around being able to eat in their seats.

Not even nachos? Someone call Interpol.
They definitely have nachos. And popcorn. And candy. And the other place has snacks and drinks including coffee and (cheap) hot chocolate.

I don't know why they didn't have at least one other concession stand open tonight but I suspect it was because of the snow.

toddlj

I don't know why they didn't have at least one other concession stand open tonight but I suspect it was because of the snow.
Yes; I asked and an employee said that several staff members called in and said they couldn't come in due to the snow. So they were very short staffed.

Seems like a great venue; today was just an unusual situation with weather they aren't used to.

Gusmom

Banned Member
Theoretically, sure, it would be nice, but have you been paying attention to the news at all in recent weeks? Tests aren't exactly easy to be had. They're not as severely limited in the US as they are in Canada right now but the Biden administration really cocked things up by not making sure there was an adequate supply for the inevitable winter surge. For all we know, the USFS looked into the possibility of requiring more frequent testing but couldn't source a large enough supply or a lab capable of processing that many additional tests for the number of credential people at Nationals (300 maybe? x 7 days = 2000+ tests).

I just love how people here are all "the USFS should have done this! the USFS should have done that!" but aren't even thinking about the logistical nightmare involved in coordinating a bubble, especially on 2-3 weeks notice.

Actually yes I have. I hold a public role where I do have to pay attention to such things in order to help make decisions for thousands of people.
Many states & businesses have gotten tests for people in large quantities the past few weeks. It’s not necessarily easy, but also something USFS could and should have planned on well ahead of time - that was my only point.
No need to get into politics.

Gusmom

Banned Member
There is still only 1 food place open and the lines are totally ridiculous.
I wonder if that is due to the snow. I know from relatives living there that the South just isn’t prepared for snow & most people don’t know how to drive in it, so that would make sense.
I hope everyone stays safe!

D

Deleted member 221

Never mind YKW. Not having meals at your seat is just good etiquette innit.

Ignoring that I don't like sitting next to someone eating greasy arena food, it's not breaking any "etiquette" rules in the U.S. :rolleyes:

Yet another example of people using C19 to impose their views, which have nothing to do with C19, on others.

Japanfan

Never mind YKW. Not having meals at your seat is just good etiquette innit.

At the comps I've been to I've always seen people eating in their seats, both arena food and sandwiches brought from home. I've never thought anything of it. I usually smuggle in some chocolate bars for myself.

Some skating competition days are really long, and people get hungry. Also, they may not want to line up in huge line-ups for arena food during breaks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information