U.S. Men 2021-22 season news & updates

Tavi

Is there any possibility that Canada may be reinstating quarantines for travelers? If so maybe he’s worried about a quarantine interrupting his training?

skatingguy

decently
Is there any possibility that Canada may be reinstating quarantines for travelers? If so maybe he’s worried about a quarantine interrupting his training?
As an athlete he's currently exempt from the travel restrictions in Canada - he doesn't even have to be vaccinated.

Vagabond

As an athlete he's currently exempt from the travel restrictions in Canada - he doesn't even have to be vaccinated.
Gabriella Papadakis is an athlete too, but she wouldn't have been able to get back into Canada until recently, whereas her skating partner would have been. Similarly, Evgenia Medvedeva couldn't get back into Canada from Japan. It must be that Brown and Cizeron had a work permit or visa that allowed them to come and go. Perhaps they are doing college-level coursework or teaching skating on the side.

toddlj

I wonder if others (Ma and Sjoberg for example) might withdraw as well given the same reasoning. I suppose they may be weighing the potential benefits with the potential risks? Jason didn't really need this comp; others might benefit more.

skatingguy

decently
Gabriella Papadakis is an athlete too, but she wouldn't have been able to get back into Canada until recently, whereas her skating partner would have been. Similarly, Evgenia Medvedeva couldn't get back into Canada from Japan. It must be that Brown and Cizeron had a work permit or visa that allowed them to come and go. Perhaps they are doing college-level coursework or teaching skating on the side.
The rules for athletes were changed in September. Those rules will change again in January.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I wonder if others (Ma and Sjoberg for example) might withdraw as well given the same reasoning. I suppose they may be weighing the potential benefits with the potential risks? Jason didn't really need this comp; others might benefit more.

In women, we still have three from the mid-to-high tier of competitors at Golden Spin: Glenn, Izzo, and Harrell. Too, three top US Pairs & Hawayek/Baker in Dance (& others). I wonder if they’ll go the way of Jason?

toddlj

In women, we still have three from the mid-to-high tier of competitors at Golden Spin: Glenn, Izzo, and Harrell. Too, three top US Pairs & Hawayek/Baker in Dance (& others). I wonder if they’ll go the way of Jason?
I support whatever decision they make, but it's sad that it has come to this... again... and some of these are skaters/teams who could really benefit from another comp, so the decision must be tough.

Sylvia

TBD
The Junior men's field at Nationals looks pretty wide open this year with the 3 who have landed 3A cleanly in international competition being Annis, Zharkov & Kovar (first 2 have attempted quads in competition this season and I recall recently seeing good practice attempts by Kovar):

Broussard, Sanchez and Klein are 3 juniors I really enjoy watching perform and are gifted in expressing their music (there are others in the field too).
Joseph Klein has been posting the occasional 3A in practice this season so it's only a matter of time before he lands one cleanly in competition (hopefully at Nationals!) - here's a clip of a good one from yesterday with a funny comment by Vincent: https://www.instagram.com/p/CXCKExfvKfF/

toddlj

Joseph Klein has been posting the occasional 3A in practice this season so it's only a matter of time before he lands one cleanly in competition (hopefully at Nationals!) - here's a clip of a good one from yesterday with a funny comment by Vincent: https://www.instagram.com/p/CXCKExfvKfF/
Joe is fantastic! Musicality, line, etc. I was sad to see his results this season were all over the place; assumed it was growing/maturing issues. Really hoping he pulls it all together at some point.

Sylvia

TBD
Joe is fantastic! Musicality, line, etc. I was sad to see his results this season were all over the place; assumed it was growing/maturing issues. Really hoping he pulls it all together at some point.
Klein was injured earlier this summer - this is what I posted in the Championship Series competitions thread in Kiss & Cry when he appeared in the Allen, Texas qualifying comp. in mid-October:
Glad to see Joe Klein back competing - he was off the ice due to a heel injury (per his Instagram) after Skate Milwaukee and hopefully will do better in his next comp. Nice 3Lz+3T today!

ETA that his Team USA bio lists his FS music as "Flow Like Water" by James Newton Howard from Avatar: The Last Airbender (Cordero Zuckerman, Josh Farris, Drew Meekins are listed as his choreographers): https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/sports/figure-skating/roster/joseph-klein/517

Sylvia

TBD
Replying to @VGThuy's comment here:
I know who Ilia Malinin is. I guess I meant someone who isn't a player this season and isn't age eligible yet but will be some time in the next four seasons.
I think it's way too early to know which U.S. Junior or Novice men who aren't ISU Senior age eligible yet could be competitive internationally in the the future (like in 2026) because how young should they start practicing and/or landing 3A & (multiple) quads?

Ilia Malinin turned 17 a few days ago (Dec. 2) and his ability to rotate quads really is uncanny and a special gift. Let's hope his body will hold out for the next Olympic cycle (ah, the belief of the young that they are invincible ;)):
Thought I'd share this [4T+4T attempt] here... liked and "Wow"ed by Miki Ando herself...

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CW9M00EgXjg/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Last edited:

RoseRed

Replying to @VGThuy's comment here:

I think it's way too early to know which U.S. Junior or Novice men who aren't ISU Senior age eligible yet could be competitive internationally in the the future (like in 2026) because how young should they start practicing and/or landing 3A & (multiple) quads?

Ilia Malinin turned 17 a few days ago (Dec. 2) and his ability to rotate quads really is uncanny and a special gift. Let's hope his body will hold out for the next Olympic cycle (ah, the belief of the young that they are invincible ;)):
And on the JGP a couple seasons ago, Ilia wasn't doing any quads. Lots of progress can happen during the junior years.

Sylvia

TBD
And on the JGP a couple seasons ago, Ilia wasn't doing any quads. Lots of progress can happen during the junior years.
That's for sure! Malinin, then 14-almost-15, did land three 3A cleanly in his 2019 JGP debut in Lake Placid - check out the protocols:
SP: http://www.isuresults.com/results/s...OR----QUAL000100--_JudgesDetailsperSkater.pdf
FS: http://www.isuresults.com/results/s...OR----FNL-000100--_JudgesDetailsperSkater.pdf
Top 4:
1 Shun SATO JPN 217.12 1 1 (then age 15 - went on to win JGP Final over 16-year-old Yuma Kagiyama that year)
2 Stephen GOGOLEV CAN 203.70 2 5 (also 14-almost-15 & starting his growth spurt...)
3 Gleb LUTFULLIN RUS 203.50 5 2 (age 15; won 2 golds & qualified for JGP Final this season)
4 Ilia MALININ USA 201.72 3 3 (also qualified for JGP Final this season but alas)

(That was a really fun competition to attend in person! :))

Last edited:

Dobre

And because many of them have not had final growth spurts yet. Even with Ilia, it's hard to know what could happen in a year. I just go along & enjoy the skating at whatever stage the juniors are in.

I am a little worried that Jason pulled out of Golden Spin. I hope, as people are hypothesizing, that it is because of travel/safety concerns and just not wanting to take any unnecessary risk heading into Nationals. (Hawayek & Baker are also training in Canada & still scheduled to go to Golden Spin, I take it).

Last edited:

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
And because many of them have not had final growth spurts yet. Even with Ilia, it's hard to know what could happen in a year. I just go along & enjoy the skating at whatever stage the juniors are in.

I am a little worried that Jason pulled out of Golden Spin. I hope, as people are hypothesizing, that it is because of travel/safety concerns and just not wanting to take any unnecessary risk heading into Nationals. (Hawayek & Baker are also training in Canada & still scheduled to go to Golden Spin, I take it).
Yes to H/B and Kaiy posted on her IG yesterday that they're looking forward to competing I'm Croatia next week.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap

Hawayek and Baker also missed almost the whole fall, so going to Golden Spin is a pretty different risk/reward calculus for them than Jason who has skated very well all fall and established himself as an odds-on favorite to make the Olympic team.

Dobre

Hawayek and Baker also missed almost the whole fall, so going to Golden Spin is a pretty different risk/reward calculus for them than Jason who has skated very well all fall and established himself as an odds-on favorite to make the Olympic team.
Yes, I agree. They probably have more need to gear up & gain confidence performing in a competitive environment. (Though likewise, I feel like the RD isn't quite cooked yet & could use more training time so they could make the opposite argument as well, but you only get so many opportunities to compete).

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
And with 4 weeks to go before Nationals, we have our final Olympic Selection Criteria update! Congrats to Jimmy Ma for his Bronze medal at Golden Spin and a new SB!

Group 1
Highest Priority
Group 2Group 3Group 4
Lowest Priority
CRITERIA
FOR 2022 US
CHAMPIONSHIPS
Placed in the top 3
AND
Placed in the top 5
AND
Placed in the top 3
OR
Placed in the top 5
OR
CRITERIA
FOR 2021
INTERNATIONAL
SCORES *
Consistently scored equal to Top 3 at 2021 Worlds
M – 289.18

Consistently scored equal to Top 5 at 2021 Worlds
M – 272.04

AND/OR
scored once equal to Top 3 at 2021 Worlds
Consistently scored equal to Top 10 at 2021 Worlds
M – 245.99

AND/OR
scored once equal to Top 5 at 2021 Worlds
Consistently scored equal to Top 15 at 2021 Worlds
M – 225.55

OR
Scored once equal to Top 10 at 2021 Worlds

Men
Group 1 - Nathan Chen (320.88 Worlds 2021; 269.37 SkAm; 307.18 SCI; GPF)

Group 2 - Vincent Zhou (70.51 Worlds 2021; 288.26 Cranberry; 284.23 CS Nebelhorn; 295.56 SkAm; 260.69 NHK; GPF)

Group 3 - Jason Brown (262.17 Worlds 2021; 262.52 CS Finlandia; 259.55 SCI; 264.20 IdF; GPF)

Group 4 -
  • Jimmy Ma (230.59 Cranberry; 233.58 US Classic; 228.12 SkAm; 195.09 CS Warsaw; 250.97 CS Golden Spin)
  • Ilia Malinin (214.64 JGP Courchevel 1; 245.35 JGP Austria; 222.55 CS Austria; JGPF)

Others with International Assignments
Tomoki Hiwatashi (205.17 Cranberry; 213.11 CS Lombardia; 221.77 SCI; 217.08 NHK)
Max Naumov (223.15 Cranberry; 207.39 US Classic) withdrawn from Nationals 12/9 per this post from @Sylvia in the US Nats KnC sub-forum
Yaroslav Paniot (210.84 Cranberry)
Camden Pulkinen (179.50 Cranberry; 208.99 US Classic; 204.24 CS Finlandia; 193.18 NHK; 237.97 Rostelecom)
Eric Sjoberg (221.12 US Classic; 189.38 CS Warsaw; 212.77 CS Golden Spin)
Dinh Tran (176.72 US Classic)

Bolded = Score that Qualified Skater into Group
Italics = Junior International score
Green = Postponed International Assignment

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Qualifiers for 2022 U.S. Nationals as of 11/29/2021 (I found the document linked from USFS' event page for Nationals):

Championship Men (18; * marks the 12 who are currently listed in USFS' ISP)
*Jason Brown, Skokie Valley SC (264.20 IdF GP) BYE
*Nathan Chen, Salt Lake Figure Skating (307.18 Skate Canada GP) BYE
Artur Dmitriev, Individual Member (189.24 VA-3) E2 - debut at U.S. Nationals
Ryan Dunk, Baltimore FSC (197.66 MA-1) E1
Mitchell Friess, St. Paul FSC, Inc (205.73 WA-2) M1
*Tomoki Hiwatashi, DuPage FSC (221.77 Skate Canada GP) BYE
William Hubbart, Champions' Edge SC (184.60 TX-1) E3
*Liam Kapeikis, Wenatchee FSC (215.51 WA-1) P2 - senior national debut
*Jimmy Ma, The Skating Club of Boston (233.58 U.S. Classic/228.12 Skate America GP) BYE
*Ilia Malinin, Washington FSC (245.35 JGP Linz) BYE - senior national debut
*Maxim Naumov, The Skating Club of Boston (223.15 Cranberry Cup) BYE
*Yaroslav Paniot, All Year FSC (210.84 Cranberry Cup) BYE
Sebastien Payannet, Los Angeles FSC (193.12 NV-3) P3
*Camden Pulkinen, The SC of New York, Inc. (237.97 Rostelecom Cup) BYE
*Eric Sjoberg, Los Angeles FSC (227.12 NV-1) P1
*Dinh Tran, The Skating Club of San Francisco, Inc (189.07 WA-4) P5
Paul Yeung, All Year FSC (192.10 WA-3) P4 - senior national debut
*Vincent Zhou, The Skating Club of San Francisco, Inc (295.56 Skate America) BYE
Nationals entries list was updated on December 9, 2021 and Maxim Naumov has withdrawn :( (top 5 byed skaters from the previous Nationals are not replaced).

ETA: Oh I see @Karen-W has edited in Naumov's WD news in her above post.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Group 4 -
  • Jimmy Ma (230.59 Cranberry; 233.58 US Classic; 228.12 SkAm; 195.09 CS Warsaw; 250.97 CS Golden Spin)
:cheer: Jimmy for winning the bronze today at Golden Spin in Sisak, Croatia and improving his ISU PB/SB by 28+ points! :cheer2:
He scored 170.13 in his 2nd place FS, landing 4T+3T, 4T & his first 3A cleanly (fell out of his 2nd 3A).

ETA that Eric finished 12th overall and improved his ISU SB total (Warsaw Cup) by 23 points :):

BRONZE Jimmy MA USA 250.97 5 2 (80.84 SP, 170.13 FS)
12 Eric SJOBERG USA 212.77 10 12 (73.48 SP, 139.29 FS)

From the Golden Spin competition thread Kiss & Cry:
For the [Gala] finale, Keegan backflipped over Jimmy Ma while Amber filmed with her phone at ice level. :D
Here's Amber's clip! https://www.instagram.com/p/CXW-_exIYsL/

Last edited:

olympic

Jimmy and Camden hopefully starting to close that huge gap in the US men's roster between the top 3 - Nathan, Vincent and Jason, and everyone else

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Average scores from Sr B and GP series

Nathan Chen 269 307= 576
Average 288

Vincent Zhou 284 295 260= 839
Average 279

Jason Brown 264 259 262= 785
Average 261

Ilia Malinin 222 214 245= 681 (used JGP + sr B)
Average 227

Jimmy Ma 250 195 228= 673
Average 224

Tomoki Hiwatashi221 217 213= 651
Average 217

Camden Pulkinen 204 193 237= 634
Average 211

Eric Sjoberg 212 189 = 401
Average 200

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information