U.S. Ice Dance 2021-22 season news & updates

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
They will be in a new position, and they need to do the work now to be able to fully take advantage of that new world. Otherwise, other worthy young US teams will pass them by. I think these new programs are making C/P stretch in ways they haven't before, and that's a good thing.

I just watched the Lombardia dance events on YouTube and was NOT impressed with C/P. Many upcoming young Sr or current-JGP dance teams could easily go over them soon, IMO.

litenkyckling

Many? I doubt. The only young team that has the potential to go over them anytime soon is Green/Parsons
I think it's also important to note that while Gr/Pa are a new team, neither are new to the scene. Michael Parsons was ahead of C/P for years in juniors. Michael is 6 years older than Anthony. They were always going to be fighting each other to get podium spots at US Nats and I wouldn't be surprised if we have more of a C/B,H/D,Shibs in 2018 kind of situation next quad where the champion is harder to predict between the top 3 teams.

Also just to note: Evan Bates - 32 years old, Zach Donohue - 30 years old, Jean-Luc Baker 27 years old (28 next month), Michael Parsons - 25 years old (26 next month), Anthony Ponomarenko - 20 years old. People develop their skills at different rates, and the young teams we see now will be totally different in their skills in 4 years time than we see just now. I know its the nature of the sport but I think in ice dance in particular it's unwise to write off young teams when they don't impress you in September, during a global pandemic.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Last edited:

sap5

I think it's also important to note that while Gr/Pa are a new team, neither are new to the scene. Michael Parsons was ahead of C/P for years in juniors. Michael is 6 years older than Anthony. They were always going to be fighting each other to get podium spots at US Nats and I wouldn't be surprised if we have more of a C/B,H/D,Shibs in 2018 kind of situation next quad where the champion is harder to predict between the top 3 teams.

Also just to note: Evan Bates - 32 years old, Zach Donohue - 30 years old, Jean-Luc Baker 27 years old (28 next month), Michael Parsons - 25 years old (26 next month), Anthony Ponomarenko - 20 years old. People develop their skills at different rates, and the young teams we see now will be totally different in their skills in 4 years time than we see just now. I know its the nature of the sport but I think in ice dance in particular it's unwise to write off young teams when they don't impress you in September, during a global *********.
Great points. There's a lot that C/P needs to develop, and I'm most interested to see how they progress with each competition. Taking the time now to improve basic technique and performance ability will take them a long way in the next quad.

VGThuy

This Olympic cycle, the competitors for medals for ice dance seem to skew older than it has since the days V/M and D/W burst on the scene where teams coming out of Canton were starting their international senior careers at 16-ish. P/C being young when they became World Champs also continued the youngish trend. This Olympics seems to be all about the veterans and the next cycle seems like it'll also be dominated by veterans waiting in the wings at the moment.

Colonel Green

This Olympic cycle, the competitors for medals for ice dance seem to skew older than it has since the days V/M and D/W burst on the scene where teams coming out of Canton were starting their international senior careers at 16-ish. P/C being young when they became World Champs also continued the youngish trend. This Olympics seems to be all about the veterans and the next cycle seems like it'll also be dominated by veterans waiting in the wings at the moment.
In the US and North America, especially, we've basically had a decade of dominance by teams/dancers that came out of junior from 2006-2010.

Hawayek & Baker in the US are kind of the odd men out on the continent, as they went senior in 2014, and there's nobody either ahead or behind them who have at all the same profile. Everybody else was either a senior by 2010 or didn't go senior until 2017 or later.

litenkyckling

Hawayek/Baker are listed as withdrawn from the Asian Open Olympic test event, which is still a month away, on the USFS website :(
hm I hope nothing major is going on and that they just need more time to prepare for the GPs. They were both at Aex Paul and Mitchell Islam's wedding at the weekend and appeared ok

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
hm I hope nothing major is going on and that they just need more time to prepare for the GPs. They were both at Aex Paul and Mitchell Islam's wedding at the weekend and appeared ok
There is a world of difference in being physically able to attend a wedding and physically able to skate an elite figure skating program.

It’s probably not an illness, but I do wonder about injury.

wickedwitch

Green/Parsons have one of my very favorite RDs and one of my very favorite FDs of the season. (Not that they have much competition -- the RDs are uniformly terrible and the FDs have been pretty meh.) I'm thrilled they medaled at ACI and thought they should have been 2nd.

H/B are going to have competition for the 3rd spot to Beijing.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Their FD is starting to grow on me. I don't know if it's a change in the dance or a change in my perception, but today it looked a little less like H/B 2.0 and a little more like something that belonged to them.

litenkyckling

Green/Parsons have one of my very favorite RDs and one of my very favorite FDs of the season. (Not that they have much competition -- the RDs are uniformly terrible and the FDs have been pretty meh.) I'm thrilled they medaled at ACI and thought they should have been 2nd.

I think it also goes to show what having a motivation can do for material - I think this season is a tough one for C/P because they aren't in that competition for the olympic spot and their material isn't as good. If H/B really are injured, then who knows what they'll be looking like on the grand prix

Lara111

I am a fan of Green/Parson but do not like the choice of music or choreography. Their skating skills are superior to C/P but the material that they get is very boring.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Let's just take a moment, as US dance fans, to revel in the still so very deep field we have, shall we? Here we are talking about Green/Parsons rising hot on the heels of Hawayek/Baker, and about CarPon seeming to stagnating still in spite of the move to I.AM2.0 and we have had all but one of the teams sent out to the JGP medal, even in a stacked Krasnoyarsk field filled with five Russian teams. Wolfkostin/Chen look ready to move up and while the Browns, Flores/Tsarevski and Ling/Wein could all use another season or two to marinate on the junior level, US ice dance is as deep as Russian ice dance, and certainly both are in way better shape than Canadian ice dance. There's no real excitement about anything that the senior teams behind Gilles/Poirier have put out there this season. Yes, they have two promising junior teams, one of which seems ready, like W/C to move up to senior level but beyond that... Honestly, even if some of these teams break up and reform, we still have some very talented skaters... Look at Caroline Green - it's really hard to remember that she is just 17! She skates far more maturely than her age would indicate. We haven't even seen Avonley with her new partner (and honestly, we might not until next season). I love CarPon to death and hope good things happen for them once they get more settled in their new training environment. We'll see what the future holds but, right now, at the start of the Olympic season/end of the current quad, is not the time to be fretting over the state of US ice dance.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
I hardly ever follow dance, but I was extremely impressed with Green/Parsons in the FD at Autumn Classic.

The music on its own is nothing special, but the program itself is stunning! It's so modern and almost voidy in parts, but in a classy way. They create some really interesting shapes and unexpected moves. I feel like they actually are telling a story, beyond the generic tropes we see in skating and dance.

The RD is also awesome, of course. I'm excited to watch their programs develop as the season unfolds.

azcalder

Let's just take a moment, as US dance fans, to revel in the still so very deep field we have, shall we? Here we are talking about Green/Parsons rising hot on the heels of Hawayek/Baker, and about CarPon seeming to stagnating still in spite of the move to I.AM2.0 and we have had all but one of the teams sent out to the JGP medal, even in a stacked Krasnoyarsk field filled with five Russian teams. Wolfkostin/Chen look ready to move up and while the Browns, Flores/Tsarevski and Ling/Wein could all use another season or two to marinate on the junior level, US ice dance is as deep as Russian ice dance, and certainly both are in way better shape than Canadian ice dance. There's no real excitement about anything that the senior teams behind Gilles/Poirier have put out there this season. Yes, they have two promising junior teams, one of which seems ready, like W/C to move up to senior level but beyond that... Honestly, even if some of these teams break up and reform, we still have some very talented skaters... Look at Caroline Green - it's really hard to remember that she is just 17! She skates far more maturely than her age would indicate. We haven't even seen Avonley with her new partner (and honestly, we might not until next season). I love CarPon to death and hope good things happen for them once they get more settled in their new training environment. We'll see what the future holds but, right now, at the start of the Olympic season/end of the current quad, is not the time to be fretting over the state of US ice dance.
Actually, Ling and Wein age out. He'll be 21 in April 2022.

azcalder

I am a fan of Green/Parson but do not like the choice of music or choreography. Their skating skills are superior to C/P but the material that they get is very boring.
This season, they've been involved in all the choices. This is from my interview with them at the LPIDI. "Caroline Green & Michael Parsons (USA) shared their thoughts on the free dance selection. The team wanted to dance a completely different style than they had ever done before. Since they took on the responsibility for their own choreography, they had more freedom to create a program that was a piece of them and something no other team could do. They were pleased with how they created movement and style that hadn’t been done before. They took a lot of inspiration from off the ice, especially Martha Graham’s modern dance choreography."

VGThuy

Green/Parsons' FD is the first program I've loved so far. I can't wait to fall in love with more programs as the season reveals itself. I actually didn't think of G/P's FD as being in H/B style because I never bought their Montreal style. The "In This Shirt" type of programs never looked right on H/B to me whereas I've seen Michael Parsons be convincing with a similar program before when he and Rachel won their junior worlds title. I remember H/B from their Romeo and Juliet and Liebestraum FD days which I felt were much more their style than anything they've had in the past three seasons.

dancing_on_ice

Avonley Nguyen and Grigory Smirnov are officially a new ice dance team competing for the US.

I'm happy for Avonley that she found a partner with substantial international experience, but he was not kind to his previous partner when she was injured and got COVID, which is a major red flag. Furthermore, has RusFed officially released him? And what would his path to citizenship look like. Obviously, they'd be gunning for 2026, but could he get citizenship by then.

coralline

Avonley Nguyen and Grigory Smirnov are officially a new ice dance team competing for the US.

I'm happy for Avonley that she found a partner with substantial international experience, but he was not kind to his previous partner when she was injured and got *********, which is a major red flag. Furthermore, has RusFed officially released him? And what would his path to citizenship look like. Obviously, they'd be gunning for 2026, but could he get citizenship by then.
Wow is it already over? Where are the scores?Is there anywhere to watch this competition?

Dobre

Many? I doubt. The only young team that has the potential to go over them anytime soon is Green/Parsons
If Carreira & Ponomarenko are going to stretch, this is a good season for it. Nguyen & Smirnov and Wolfkostin & Chen could both be in the mix during the new quadrennium.

Hawayek & Baker in the US are kind of the odd men out on the continent, as they went senior in 2014, and there's nobody either ahead or behind them who have at all the same profile. Everybody else was either a senior by 2010 or didn't go senior until 2017 or later.
Hawayek & Baker went up against McNamara & Carpenter and the Parsons their last season at Junior Nationals, the JGPF, & Junior Worlds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information