2021-22 ISU Challenger Series announced

Vagabond

Agree. Prior to the Challenger Series, top elites doing a senior B was fairly unusual. I think Tuk was one of the people who popularized going to them and winning with her run up to the 2015 World title.
It was fairly unusual for top Singles skaters from North America and Asia, but not so unusual for top skaters from Europe. Check out Carolina Kostner's Competitive Highlights section on Wikipedia, for example. Or Kiira Korpi's.

At the time, all or almost all of the Senior B's were in Europe, so they were easy to get to from somewhere like Oberstdorf or Tampere, but not so easy from Lake Arrowhead or Nagoya.

Marco

Well, let’s pray that it happens because the Olympics will be next in that venue.
I am interested to see how the event is conducted. China has been quite strict on quarantining - so unless they are arranging a bubble situation, they probably want athletes to be quarantined at hotels for 14+7 days?

Colonel Green

I am interested to see how the event is conducted. China has been quite strict on quarantining - so unless they are arranging a bubble situation, they probably want athletes to be quarantined at hotels for 14+7 days?
There's no way there's a quarantine like that. Skating events cannot operate in that sort of manner, as the ISU (and domestic federations in many cases) has repeatedly made clear.

Sylvia

TBD
I am interested to see how the event is conducted. China has been quite strict on quarantining - so unless they are arranging a bubble situation
From pages 8-9 of the Asian Open Figure Skating Trophy competition announcement:
The official hotel will not accept reservations prior to Monday, 11th October, 2021, and all participants must check out no later than Monday, 18th October, 2021.
According to the close-loop management requirements, all participants can ONLY stay in the official hotel to keep in the competition bubble. There is a free shuttle bus transportation service between the official hotel and the ice rink. Shuttle bus will be accessible for accredited persons ONLY. Transportation will only operate between the official hotel and the ice rink.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
There's no way there's a quarantine like that. Skating events cannot operate in that sort of manner, as the ISU (and domestic federations in many cases) has repeatedly made clear.
Agreed. I assume that 1) the event is happening since USFS announced their entrants for it last week - at five weeks out, even if a cancellation hadn't been publicly announced, I'm fairly certain the ISU and feds would know if it wasn't happening, 2) it will be a fairly tight bubble, similar to Worlds 2021.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Not sure about ISU TES minimums or SB scores for the 5 Canadian men at Autumn Classic - can someone confirm?
No. To be eligible to earn TES minimums, the competition has to be an international competition on the ISU list with a minimum of two competitors from two different members in the discipline, plus the usual requirements for judging and technical panels, both short and free, and (mostly) open.

To earn WS points, the requirements are more members from more feds, set by discipline. To earn a SB at a CS event, the discipline has to meet the CS requirements.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
It was fairly unusual for top Singles skaters from North America and Asia, but not so unusual for top skaters from Europe. Check out Carolina Kostner's Competitive Highlights section on Wikipedia, for example. Or Kiira Korpi's.

At the time, all or almost all of the Senior B's were in Europe, so they were easy to get to from somewhere like Oberstdorf or Tampere, but not so easy from Lake Arrowhead or Nagoya.
Mishin said Tuk did them for better ice time and the prize money.. I suspect that holds true for many given the lack of funding and quality of ice available. Now that Russia has their internal Russian cup series, they can get both closer to home. And, their internal competition is so high, except in men, they don't necessarily have to compete against nonRussians before the bigger prize events. But, the prize money is a motivator.

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
Does anyone know the schedule for the US Intl Classic this week? Preferably event times, etc. I'm trying to coordinate a trip to catch some of it in between other things.

kirkbiggestfan

Does anyone know the schedule for the US Intl Classic this week? Preferably event times, etc. I'm trying to coordinate a trip to catch some of it in between other things.
The skating club of Boston hasn't published the schedule..that is a bit odd 2 days before official practice. I want to take the day off on Friday but was wondering if I should take a half day....just wondering when the ice dance would start.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Nebelhorn Men Entries were updated this morning, Mark Kondratiuk got Russian spot
Talk about the skater who came from nowhere by winning bronze at the 2020/21 Russian National Championships.

After watching the Russian Test Skates over the weekend, I've become an instant fan of his skating. His intensity, especially during the step sequence, is so entertaining.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Talk about the skater who came from nowhere by winning bronze at the 2020/21 Russian National Championships.

After watching the Russian Test Skates over the weekend, I've become an instant fan of his skating. His intensity, especially during the step sequence, is so entertaining.
OMG. That “King Tut Strut” - or whatever it’s called in the middle of his Egyptian SP’s step sequence - is to die for! I rewatched it five times this morning and kept giggling to myself.

Last edited:

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Nothing official yet, but Wang / Liu is rumored to have withdrawn from ACI on Weibo. I assume the situation is the same for Chen / Sun.

WOULDACOULDARETURNS

The skating club of Boston hasn't published the schedule..that is a bit odd 2 days before official practice. I want to take the day off on Friday but was wondering if I should take a half day....just wondering when the ice dance would start.
I found the schedule on the USFS site today. I only jotted down the Saturday events. It may have been listed in the FanZone. I may take a ride up to catch some events on Friday as well. Heck, why not drive 2-1/2 hours each way twice? I may rethink that strategy and watch some events on Peacock.
Senior free dance is Saturday at 5:25 pm.
I wasn’t able to locate practice session info.
Have fun if you make it!

Frau Muller

I don't think the Challengers are on Peacock. I couldn't find anything on their website stating that. They haven't updated since WTT
US Classic is a “Sr-B” (not Challenger) & happens to be on Peacock, most likely because it is in the USA.

Frau Muller

I am not seeing this on Peacock. Does anyone have the magic search keyword(s) to make it show up?
It’s not up yet. Checked via the TV method. It’s still very slow to download & navigate with my remote.

Click “Sports” among options at top. Scroll down to “Figure Skating”. I then checked all show-icons in the FS hub & it’s not up yet.

Today’s just Monday so I suspect that the U.S. Classic icons will appear on Wednesday.

euterpe

There's no schedule for the Canadian Classic which runs about the same time as the US event.

Frau Muller

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information