U.S. Women [#1]: The Contenders Unmask Themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkelly

Because people in the sport of figure skating refer to it as such? And it's pretty universal to be honest. I'm not on here talking about Rittbergers and Cherry Flips.
I've never heard this term in any rink I have frequented over the past 30 years (or back in the 1970s when I used to frequent rinks either).

I have only come across it from English-language online fan communities in the last couple years.

It may be widely used among the Russian skating community, or some other countries -- I couldn't say.

But I can say with some confidence that it is not widely used, if at all, by adults within the US skating community. I don't know what the kids are calling it these days. ;)

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
This is the best that I have ever seen Alysa Liu skate and she earned a season's best for the short, long and competition!
I am soooo pleased with her growth!!! Yeah, the axel was a tiny bit short, but her overall BIGNESS in her skating has improved. She's always moved well, but now she skates across with ice with assuredness, speed, and maturity. It's great to see. I was having my doubts a year ago. So, she's on the right track, at least to make the final group at the Olympics.

olympic

I am soooo pleased with her growth!!! Yeah, the axel was a tiny bit short, but her overall BIGNESS in her skating has improved. She's always moved well, but now she skates across with ice with assuredness, speed, and maturity. It's great to see. I was having my doubts a year ago. So, she's on the right track, at least to make the final group at the Olympics.
Jackie Wong stated it looked about 1/4 on the ice. Just there.

Where is Alysa Liu in current form vis a vis the JPN and KOR ladies, or Loena Hendrickx, who is probably #4 in Europe behind a trio from you know where? Also, isn't there a developing CAN lady who was top 10 in the World last season?

After watching the RUS women, I'm not even discussing that

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Alysa scored 219 at Lombardia. For reference, at 2021 Worlds, RUS scored 233, 220, and 217 in their podium sweep.

Karen scored 208, Loena 208, Kaori 207, Rika 205, Bradie 197.

Anyone scoring over 210 on the GP is very likely to medal there.

Young You scored 182 at Cranberry Cup (where Alysa scored 205).

I don't believe any of the top JPN or KOR skaters (besides juniors) have competed yet this season, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I know JPN Regionals are Sep 23-Oct 10. Top CAN score this season is Gabby with 178 right now.

Last edited:

euterpe

And back to US Women's skating...which I think is the direction where this blob of a distraction you have created should go: I can't wait to hear more about Alysa Liu's, Isobel Levito's and the other American women's skating this season, especially these younger ones, in normal skating speak. So far I have been tremendously impressed by them, and it is only the beginning of the season. Let's keep it about them!
Since you are so knowledgeable about everything, how about using Levito's correct first name: ISABEAU.

Sylvia

TBD
Is there any interest in creating a separate Olympic season women's discussion thread in the Trash Can, like there is already for ice dance & pairs? :)

ETA: If yes, someone freel free to go ahead and start one.

Last edited:

Lacey

Since you are so knowledgeable about everything, how about using Levito's correct first name: ISABEAU.
Thanks, Euterpe, for the gentle reminder, I have fixed it.

The one thing about Isabeau's name is that, in the past, I have read the "beau" part as a masculine form of bel or belle, and meant to ask about that, but realized it might be explained because it is sort of a foreign form, so sorry for the intrusion.

And, no, I am not so knowledgeable about everything, I just didn't want someone else telling me his words could improve me when I had already told him I didn't like his words there.

I am so over this, can we get back to the skating?

kwanatic

Last comment on the whole Ultra-C... It seems to be a term that's concentrated in the Russian area of the figure skating community which is why pretty much all of @ErikWilliam's references came from a Russian skater or coach. As for Ted Barton, he is linked with the RusFed/ChannelOne as he's their preferred English speaking commentator and I'm like 99% positive they give him some talking points or lines to include during his commentary. This includes heaping mounds of praise on the Russian skaters and coaches and, I guess, using the Ultra-C term to refer to difficult jumps.

I do associate the use of the term with newer skating fans but not exclusively. It started popping up around 2017 or 2018 when Trusova, Kostornaia and Shcherbakova entered the field, which was when consistent attempts at triple axels and quads began. I still think it's a stupid term and have no plans to ever use it but it's nothing people need to fight over.

❤️️️Peace and love everyone, peace and love ❤️:saint:

Anyhoo, back to skating! I'm very excited for Alysa's performances at Lombardia. They made some tweaks to the SP (no more shaky hands during the Ina) and she looks like she's settling into the program nicely. The FS is growing on me. The 3A is looking good. We're still a few weeks out from the official start to the season so I'm confident at this rate she'll have it around and feeling more comfortable by then. The quad lutz is more of a question mark but I feel like the 3A needs to be her focus, particularly in the US. That gives her the edge over people like Bradie, Karen and Mariah who don't have that difficulty. Alysa has some good momentum going with these summer comps so hopefully she'll feel relaxed and ready for the GP. Her chances of beating the Russians are still kinda slim IMO but if the goal is to get on the team for Beijing, I think she's leading the pack as of now.

I want to jump on the Amber train yet I find myself still firmly planted on the fence for now. We all know she's capable of strong content; the question is can she do it consistently. We saw her compete earlier at Cranberry (I think) but she had to withdraw for the FS, and that's her biggest test. I'm crossing my fingers she'll blow us away at her Challenger assignment. She's another one who needs to get the momentum early. I'm hoping switching programs will put Mariah back in the mix because she's at the bottom of the list as of right now. Is Bradie going to be able to compete before the GP or is she still injured?

sk9tingfan

Thanks, Euterpe, for the gentle reminder, I have fixed it.

The one thing about Isabeau's name is that, in the past, I have read the "beau" part as a masculine form of bel or belle, and meant to ask about that, but realized it might be explained because it is sort of a foreign form, so sorry for the intrusion.

And, no, I am not so knowledgeable about everything, I just didn't want someone else telling me his words could improve me when I had already told him I didn't like his words there.

I am so over this, can we get back to the skating?
Regarding the name, Isabeau:

FYI:In Hebrew, it means God's promise. In French, it means My God is bountiful; God of plenty. Depending upon what site you use, this changes. A famous example is Isabeau is Isabeau of Bavaria in 1370 who went on to become Queen of France

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
As for Ted Barton, he is linked with the RusFed/ChannelOne as he's their preferred English speaking commentator and I'm like 99% positive they give him some talking points or lines to include during his commentary. This includes heaping mounds of praise on the Russian skaters and coaches and, I guess, using the Ultra-C term to refer to difficult jumps.
Precisely. It does not take a genius to realize Mr. Barton knows where his bread is buttered,and that is firmly in the pocket of the Russians. Very disappointing—I expect more from Canadian men.

-BB

Sylvia

TBD
Last comment on the whole Ultra-C... It seems to be a term that's concentrated in the Russian area of the figure skating community
That's my understanding as well.
The interview was conducted by Russian journalists and translated (back) into English on the webpage to which you linked.

Here's the original interview:

It's thirty-one minutes long. Please let me know if he uses the term "Ultra C."
I listened and Ted Barton did NOT use the term "Ultra-C" in this video interview :p (when referring to quads and triple Axels by women.).

ETA:
Is Bradie going to be able to compete before the GP or is she still injured?
All that is known publicly is that she withdrew from U.S. Classic back on Sept. 1st and is not listed for ny internationals before Skate America.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Upcoming U.S. women's assignments before Skate America (listed on USFS' International Assignments page as of Sept. 10):

CS Autumn Classic International in Pierrefonds QC Canada (Sept. 16-18): Karen Chen, Starr Andrews
U.S. Classic in Norwood, MA (Senior B, Sept. 15-18): Gabriella Izzo, Paige Rydberg, Sierra Venetta (ETA) and Maxine Marie Bautista (added 8/27)
JGP #4 in Krasnoyarsk, Russia (Sept. 15-18): Kate Wang, Maryn Pierce (her JGP debut)

CS Nebelhorn Trophy in Oberstdorf, Germany (Sept. 21-25): Alysa Liu
JGP #5 in Ljubjlana, Slovenia (Sept. 22-25): Lindsay Thorngren, Ava Ziegler

JGP #6 Gdansk, Poland (Sept. 29-Oct. 2): Clare Seo, TBA

CS Finlandia Trophy in Espoo, Finland (Oct. 6-9): Karen Chen, Amber Glenn
JGP #7 in Linz, Austria (Oct. 6-9): Isabeau Levito, TBA

CS Asian Open Trophy in Beijing/Olympic test event (Oct. 13-17): Mariah Bell, Gabriella Izzo

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Re: Gracie Withdrawals from club comps are common. There could have been a number of (non-alarming) reasons.
I am sure there can be a lot of non-alarming reasons for withdrawing. Gracie withdrawing at all is alarming. And skating to one of Michelle's iconic pieces of music is a double whammy. If you are going to skate to East of Eden, you had best have something to add, something to say, and be technically perfect.

I can't imagine that Gracie's team (parents, trainers, psychiatrists) think it is a good idea to have her keep going out on the ice and failing.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
This is the best that I have ever seen Alysa Liu skate and she earned a season's best for the short, long and competition!
One of the things I appreciate about Alysa (aside from her joy) is that she knows who she is (as a skater) where she wants to go, and how to get there. Then she does it! Very Tara-like.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Gracie withdrawing at all is alarming. And skating to one of Michelle's iconic pieces of music is a double whammy. If you are going to skate to East of Eden, you had best have something to add, something to say, and be technically perfect.

I can't imagine that Gracie's team (parents, trainers, psychiatrists) think it is a good idea to have her keep going out on the ice and failing.

Get off her case. I'm sure by now Gracie knows what she is capable of and when she should step back. What she wants to do is the most important thing, and if she is getting something out of competing regardless of the outcome, then more power to her.

Carolla5501

Get off her case. I'm sure by now Gracie knows what she is capable of and when she should step back. What she wants to do is the most important thing, and if she is getting something out of competing regardless of the outcome, then more power to her.
I have two views on the Gracie situation

1. If she's skating because she really wants to do this and is getting satisfaction than "full speed ahead"
2. If she's skating because "I don't know how to do anything else" or "I have invested so much so I must keep going to prove everyone right" then... my heart breaks for her.

And of course we will never know why she's skating etc. Yes, I know, we have her interviews..... That and $5 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks (not a fancy cup LOL!) We don't know because we aren't her.

dinakt

Alysa was great.
Re: ultra-C.
It is a very common term in Russia, and has been for at least 40 years. People use it so often while talking about cutting-edge difficulty, it is a part of common language.
I also guess it became common on English-speaking fan sites with the beginning of Russian women dominance and with various Russian interviews being widely translated.
If Russians can adopt “dress-code” as a Russian word, skating fans can embrace “ultra-c” (if they so wish).
And Alysa was great.

Last edited:

Marco

Alysa was stunning at Lombardia. Such speed, with good command and a mature presence over the ice. Is she the best overall skater in the US right now? She defintely is my favorite.

Point for discussion - should she go for the 3axel at Nebelhorn? I don't think she needs it to get the job done there, heck she doesn't even need it at Nationals (to win or at least make the Olympic team), but will definitely need it at the Olympics and Worlds to make top 5.

Vagabond

Point for discussion - should she go for the 3axel at Nebelhorn? I don't think she needs it to get the job done there, heck she doesn't even need it at Nationals (to win or at least make the Olympic team), but will definitely need it at the Olympics and Worlds to make top 5.
Although the chances of her not earning a third Olympic entry for the U.S. at Nebelhorn due to a downgraded triple axel are small, I'd rather see her attempt it next when she's effectively skating for herself on the Grand Prix.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?

Although the chances of her not earning a third Olympic entry for the U.S. at Nebelhorn due to a downgraded triple axel are small, I'd rather see her attempt it next when she's effectively skating for herself on the Grand Prix.
I think she needs to go for it every time in order to get fully comfortable with it in competition. It's been getting closer and closer with each competition this summer. No harm, IMO, in going for it at Nebelhorn. She is so far ahead of the rest of the women entered there that a downgraded 3a will prevent her from securing the 3rd US spot.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
I am sure there can be a lot of non-alarming reasons for withdrawing. Gracie withdrawing at all is alarming. And skating to one of Michelle's iconic pieces of music is a double whammy. If you are going to skate to East of Eden, you had best have something to add, something to say, and be technically perfect.

I wouldn't say "failing", but just looking miserable. This is her final season, and she should be lapping up the appreciation and love from the audience who have loved and supported her for all these years. The very least she could do for her fans seeing her compete for the last time is at least look happy to be there skating. So what if she falls on a 3lutz? Does anyone seriously expect her to pull out of the hat a seven triple program anymore? Just go out there and have fun and enjoy the crowd. And if you fall, just come up smiling with a look of "I went for it, and missed, but hey I could at least try!". I hope whatever competitions she is in for the remainder of the season that she at least looks like she wants to be there and is enjoying herself. Because if she isn't, why bother?

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
One of the things I appreciate about Alysa (aside from her joy) is that she knows who she is (as a skater) where she wants to go, and how to get there. Then she does it! Very Tara-like.
Not to reignite a 24 year war, but I was thinking that Alysa was being very Kwan-like in her approach!! She recognized her deficiencies, didn't cry or whine about it or the judging, and just moved on and went right to work on the process of getting to the 'next level'. Very much like me, actually. Plus, Alysa has such a positive and happy attitude about it all. Very much UNlike me!! lol

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
I agree, but here's why. Imagine Alysa is more than 30 points ahead of the 7th place person after the SP. She decides to go for the 3axel since she has really nothing to lose, and has a terrible fall where she cuts herself badly and then has to withdraw. Ooops, no one counted on that... Now the US only has two spots and for what? An unnecessary attempt on a difficult element? So I agree with Vag. If she fails at Nebelhorn, she hurts the US team and not just herself. Just for this competition I want her to play ultra-safe (Ultra-S, maybe? lol). Let's get that third spot first, and then look ahead to the Olympic team and 3axel to her heart's content.

Last edited:

kwanatic

As this is an important competition and Alysa's placement is the most important thing, I'd like to see her go for the 3A but only in the FS for now like she did at Lombardia. It's still too risky to go for it in the SP. Yes, she's far ahead of the field but missing it will be a big hit to her score. Better to skate cleanly in the SP which will help her build a cushion for the FS. In the FS I'd say go for it since there's still plenty of room to make up for it if by chance it doesn't work.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
As this is an important competition and Alysa's placement is the most important thing, I'd like to see her go for the 3A but only in the FS for now like she did at Lombardia. It's still too risky to go for it in the SP. Yes, she's far ahead of the field but missing it will be a big hit to her score. Better to skate cleanly in the SP which will help her build a cushion for the FS. In the FS I'd say go for it since there's still plenty of room to make up for it if by chance it doesn't work.
Exactly, set herself up with a clean short and go for it in the long.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Is Isabeau Levito planning to compete as a senior at Nationals? If so, we could have a situation in which she ends up top-three in the USA but is age-ineligible for Olympics or Worlds. If cleanly-performed Ultra-C moves rule the day, we could have a podium of Liu, Levito & Thorngren and/or Glenn.

It’s good to see US Women’s skating catching up, technically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information