U.S. Pairs 2019-20 season - News & Updates, Part X

aftershocks

Banned Member
Alexa posted a video of herself and Brandon at their "super short tryout" in March. https://www.instagram.com/p/B-7l1ZzjOyE/?igshid=1awix2a1jzlgz

Cool. :cool:

Alexa only posts that one jumping pass. But it's a doozy of a firecracker. :D

Still I'd hoped to see more. I'm sure they did more than a 3-jump combo during their tryout. To start, they probably eased into things by stroking together and becoming accustomed to each other's rhythms and timing. Surely they performed a death spiral, a throw and some lifts. I think a triple twist won't be on their agenda until they have time to perfect a double twist and get more adjusted to each other.

But this looks great, especially coming out of the gate! I look forward to seeing more. I hope they and all the skaters can get back to training soon.

Did they just look at each other and say, 'Why don't we rattle off a 3-jump combo and see how it goes?' :lol:

Bellanca

The US hasn't won a medal at the World Championships since 2002 - what kind of good thing has the US had - Scimeca-Knierim/Frazier might be the best chance to break that drought.
Possibly. Staying together is still the safest bet. Of course, this situation wrote itself.

S-K/F might come out gangbusters, at least in the USA. However, these quick, slapped together teams have been known to fizzle out pretty quickly, too.

It looks good on paper, but will it translate onto the ice? Let’s hope so. Where there’s a will (Alexa 💪🏻) there’s a way! I wish them great success together! 🙂

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
skatingguy said:
The US hasn't won a medal at the World Championships since 2002 - what kind of good thing has the US had - Scimeca-Knierim/Frazier might be the best chance to break that drought.

The U.S. pairs discipline has had a lot of good teams who've experienced many ups-and-downs, especially in recent years. But there have also been wonderful highlights and record milestones too. Not everything is or should be measured in terms of major podium placements. There have been some wonderful and entertaining teams. As well, two U.S. teams setting technical records in 2006 (throw 3-axel) and in 2007 (throw quad salchow) is nothing to sneeze at. For sure though, the U.S. has been through a major medal drought long enough.

I don't think the quality of the U.S.'s current top teams should be looked down upon or under-estimated. We shall see how Knierim/Frazier will fare, and we will also see Calalang/Johnson, Cain-Gribble/LeDuc, Kayne/O'Shea, Lu/Mitrofanov, Serafini/Tran, et al.

S-K/F might come out gangbusters, at least in the USA. However, these quick, slapped together teams have been known to fizzle out pretty quickly, too.

I wouldn't describe this pairing as a 'quick, slapped together team.' The team who will be their training mates, Calalang/Johnson, also paired together out of convenience after splitting from previous partners, and they turned out to be a match made in heaven with an amazing quality and connection it's impossible to buy or create. Meanwhile, Alexa & Brandon both have extensive skill and experience, and both of their previous partnerships ended for unfortunate but valid reasons. Their coming together makes sense, and it will be interesting to see what they are able to accomplish.

I don't think it's about 'coming out gangbusters' either, simply because Alexa shared that nice looking tryout clip. Hopefully, they will have a chance to get in more needed training time, and their previous experience and skill set will allow them to come together, build steadily and show good results. I think it's a bonus that they have known each other on a friendly basis for years.

skylark

Ash and Tim are doing in home choreography with Pasquale for next seasons free program

Can't quite figure out whether Tim is harmonizing, or going all tone-deaf.:rofl: :encore:I'm really glad A&T, and Pasquale, are having this chance to create and be inspired ... and I hope for creative solutions like this for all our skaters, or most.

Bellanca

I think it's a bonus that they have known each other on a friendly basis for years.
Absolutely. This helps a lot. Any new pair has an adjustment period, but I feel like they are steps ahead because of their familiarity with each other. I also think they will successfully navigate any rough patches they might experience because Alexa is fierce and girl will make it happen! :respec: 😎

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
:lol: I think Miz Bottems is pulling our legs and ragging on Rena Inoue/ John Baldwin, despite their worthy accomplishments.

I assure you,Miss Bottems never pulls anything,dear.

The sentiment was genuine. If Knierim+Frazier are able to achieve 4th place at the World Championships, twice qualify for the Grand Prix Finals,and win the Four Continents Challenge, I believe that would be considered a unanimous success.

However one thing we should be able to agree upon is Brandon Frazier is considerably more pleasing to the eye than Mr. Baldwin.

-BB

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I assure you,Miss Bottems never pulls anything,dear.

The sentiment was genuine. If Knierim+Frazier are able to achieve 4th place at the World Championships, twice qualify for the Grand Prix Finals,and win the Four Continents Challenge, I believe that would be considered a unanimous success.

However one thing we should be able to agree upon is Brandon Frazier is considerably more pleasing to the eye than Mr. Baldwin.

-BB
Just keep breathing...I ..out..in..out.
Don't want you to hyperventilate when it does not happen.

gkelly

The pairs skating entry on Wikipedia could seriously use some updating. Apparently throw twists have been called twist lifts. Does anyone know the history on this? Perhaps because in the beginning, it was more of a lift and a brief release for the lady to rotate singly or doubly? Now, this element is much more of a huge throw rather than just a lifting motion. But maybe twist lift is still the official term.

There are twist lifts, and there are throw jumps.
For documentation, see, e.g., ISU Communication 2254 (the most recent Scale of Values etc.) at

There's no move that is officially called a "throw twist." Who uses that term, and what does it refer to?

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝

olympic

In their partnership, which of Digerness and Neudecker struggled more on the elements? Just curious as to whether the new partnership is going to be an improvement

aftershocks

Banned Member
Refresh my Jose Cuervo...

Who is this Sasha????

Great jumps.

Check out page 41 in this thread where the Digerness/Neudecker split is first mentioned, and Neudecker's pairing with Sasha Dinov is discussed:

Sasha Dinov is the daughter of former Russian ice dancer, Rinat Farkhroutdinov who competed for Japan with Nakako Tsuzuki. When Rinat retired, he subsequently began coaching in the U.S.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Here is our lovely Ash doing a TikTok video with all of the costumes she’s performed in. She’s already responded to me about which one is my favorite!!

I wonder if I should do one of these videos with all of the Andrew Christian briefs I’ve ever worn

skylark

Are y’all ready for this???

USA PAIRS EXTRAVAGANZZZZAAAA

Courtesy of Miss Ashley

This is fantastic! Ashley is such a team player and all-round US team cheerleader and advocate :)

I spotted Nate and Katie, and Alexa with Brandon ... does that mean Brandon's gotten to California now so they can work off-ice together? It was weird, the only lift that made me nervous was Mervin & Olivia's.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
This is fantastic! Ashley is such a team player and all-round US team cheerleader and advocate :)

I spotted Nate and Katie, and Alexa with Brandon ... does that mean Brandon's gotten to California now so they can work off-ice together? It was weird, the only lift that made me nervous was Mervin & Olivia's.

Alexa posted in her off ice workout video yesterday that Brandon is living with her and Chris.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I believe it's Katie McBeath. Nate (or Jim Peterson?) has posted IG training with her since last fall, IIRC. And I think it was @aftershocks who said a few weeks ago that Nate had already moved out to California to train with her.

Someone else here noted that Nate had moved to California to train. Katie had posted on her Instagram about moving on to an exciting transition. And there was at least one training clip posted by Jim Peterson on Instagram that was included in a TSL Insta-skating training clips montage last November. At about 5:26, Katie/Nate execute a throw 3-loop:

Thanks for sharing. This is a cool clip showing the fun relationship that Brandon, Chris & Alexa have enjoyed for many years. It's nice that Brandon was able to move out to California and start working with Alexa off-ice and planning their next moves. It's a bonus that they're friends and have known each other for a long time.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Are y’all ready for this???

USA PAIRS EXTRAVAGANZZZZAAAA
Courtesy of Miss Ashley

:lol: :watch: That's fun and a great way to stay motivated, connected and inspiring each other. The best transitions into the next team:
1. Merv's cartwheel leaving the frame into Danny O'Shea's somersault that casually rolls into Tarah, and then they execute a cool standing lift...
2. Nate/Katie's wide-legged turning lift leaving the frame into Merv/Livia's in-action overhead wide-legged turning lift to a horizontal split leg position while Merv spins, executes Livia's dismount and moves into a cartwheel...
3. Jessica/Brian's dancing lift leaving the frame into Katie & Nate in a parking lot with Katie executing a headstand into a wide-legged spinning lift postion...

:lol: :cheer2:

Ashley & Tim got it started off really well in great fab pairs catwalk Runway form! Alexa & Brandon showed wonderful athleticism and fitness with synchronous cartwheels into stationary jumps and then a signature lift throwing Alexa over his head in a split leg position and catching her on the other side in a wide-legged position as they spun out of the frame.

Best costumes:
1. Can't beat Jessica/Brian's colorful red, orange, black combo athletic gear
2. I love Merv's blue headband & bright blue tennis shoes, matching his & Livia's coordinated outfits
3. Ashley is sassy in her tank top with leopard-patterned tights

Best muscles:
Nate, showing off! But all these guys have the muscles and the strength for sure. :D

Best moments:
1. Katie blowing a kiss to the camera while spinning in overhead wide-legged position
2. Jessica/Brian working those expressions and dance moves
3. Ashley vamping, and Tim's backward leg kick leaving the frame
4. Tarah casually throwing away her phone and moving into a fab overhead standing lift

Most difficult lifts:
1. Merv/Livia -- at least it looks the most complicated
2. Katie's head stand into a wide-legged spinning lift position (and they executed it on asphalt) :eek:

Best artistic performance/ best choreography:
Jessica/Brian -- good camera angle, interesting background, colorful costumes, both working those dance moves and groovy expressions. Tee hee :)

Best technical performance:
Alexa/Brandon -- a great show of technical range and athleticism

Interesting to note that Brandon was wearing regular street clothes. Everyone performed on grass except Katie/Nate were on parking lot asphalt; and Jessica/Brian were on what looked like astro turf on a rooftop balcony in southern California. Alexa/Brandon perhaps meditated before their performance, as it looks like there's a Buddhist temple in the background of their peaceful, grassy setting.

Altogether, a FIVE-STAR revue!!!!! Five thumbs up! :cheer2:

loopey

I believe it's Katie McBeath. Nate (or Jim Peterson?) has posted IG training with her since last fall, IIRC. And I think it was @aftershocks who said a few weeks ago that Nate had already moved out to California to train with her.
What coach are they training with in California?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information