The Dance Hall 7: Tripping the Light Fantastic 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Piper Gilles said in an interview a while ago that she understood it was going to be a reprise of the Midnight Blues/hip-hop theme from 2016-17 (as many here, myself included, had already speculated). So that's a rumour circulating BTS among the dance academies, at least. Piper was speaking about this in the context of her and Paul's March being the junior pattern for 2021-22.

Also, for my two cents, this has been my favourite RD since the 16/17 year. So many fun programs, and much more variety than, say, last year's exhausting tango bombardment.

Anything is better than tango. Although polka will test that opinion. I wanted a waltz!

RoseRed

Some of my fave RDs:

Gilles/Poirier - Mack and Mabel
Smart/Diaz - Grease
Papadakis/Cizeron - FAME
Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen - Bonnie and Clyde
Hawayek/Baker - Saturday Night Fever

I really like the first part of Stepanova/Bukin's, but not last part as much. And I wasn't that crazy about Lajoie/Lagha's WSS at the beginning of the season, but they've gotten so sharp with it that I'm really starting to love it the last couple of performances.

In juniors I've really enjoyed D'Alessandro/Waddell's Julie Andrews RD and Bronsard/Bouaraguia's Cabaret.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I'm surprised we didn't get any Hamilton (did we? I don't think we did). Imagine what Hubbell and Donohue could have done with Burn, for one thing!

Colonel Green

I'm surprised we didn't get any Hamilton (did we? I don't think we did). Imagine what Hubbell and Donohue could have done with Burn, for one thing!
I don't know enough to know how well they'd fit the pattern (or could be made to fit it, given that we've seen more than a few jarring fiddlings with tempo).

Divorced from the music requirements, "Helpless" seems like it would work best for ice dance.

chantilly

Look even I was surprised by the improvements by S and K the last two seasons.
But I honestly cannot argue that they haven’t improved so much. They are very good at executing the elements for optimal scores.
i don’t think they have the ease and natural talent that P and C do, nor do I think they have the same basic skating skills in terms of edge and glide.
But they do have speed and dynamics.
On a everyone is perfect day, S and K should be behind P and C, but I honestly don’t think by much.

I think they have assets that P and C don’t have.

I think P and C need to figure out how to be better competitors and find a different way of showcasing their incredible talent.

I think S and K need to find the balance between full out and controlled to nervy execution and better material.

I still think that P and C are the best team out there but I just can’t deny S and K as a legitimate threat.

Last edited:

Bigbird

Look even I was surprised by the improvements by S and K the last two seasons.
But I honestly cannot argue that they have improved so much. They are very good at executing the elements for optimal scores.
i don’t think they have the ease and natural talent that P and C do, nor do I think they have the same basic skating skills in terms of edge and glide.
But they do have speed and dynamics.
On a everyone is perfect day, S and K should be behind P and C, but I honestly don’t think by much.

I think they have assets that P and C don’t have.

I think P and C need to figure out how to be better competitors and find a different way of showcasing their incredible talent.

I think S and K need to find the balance between full out and controlled to nervy execution and better material.

I still think that P and C are the best team out there but I just can’t deny S and K as a legitimate threat.

Marie-France and Romaine understand what's at stake and they will draw the right conclusions.

supergirl573

Piper Gilles said in an interview a while ago that she understood it was going to be a reprise of the Midnight Blues/hip-hop theme from 2016-17 (as many here, myself included, had already speculated). So that's a rumour circulating BTS among the dance academies, at least. Piper was speaking about this in the context of her and Paul's March being the junior pattern for 2021-22.

Also, for my two cents, this has been my favourite RD since the 16/17 year. So many fun programs, and much more variety than, say, last year's exhausting tango bombardment.
This is disappointing. Hopefully it will be a crowd pleaser, but I miss the Golden Waltz.

heartyxo

Highway robbery I feel for piper and Paul I guess politics go along way Madison chick falls on her ass and they win ok.

The fall was not on an element so their tes couldn’t go down. They got the 1 point deduction and their PCS was slightly lower than at GPF. They were deducted.
Quick reminder: at 2017 worlds Scott Moir fell in the FD, also not on an element and they still won. People didn’t complain then.

Daena

The fall was not on an element so their tes couldn’t go down. They got the 1 point deduction and their PCS was slightly lower than at GPF. They were deducted.
Quick reminder: at 2017 worlds Scott Moir fell in the FD, also not on an element and they still won. People didn’t complain then.
I did. I've seen a lot of people, who did.
It was wrong then, it's wrong today.

heartyxo

If G/P had done one of their trademark creative and original programs, maybe they would have won. Instead they did typical generic lyrical which is like last years FD but worse. It’s nice but not amazing.

And a level 2 on the dance pattern should probably matter more than a fall not on an element

Last edited:

yurokis40

If G/P had done one of their trademark creative and original programs, maybe they would have won. Instead they did typical generic lyrical which is like last years FD but worse. It’s nice but not amazing.

And a level 2 on the dance pattern should probably matter more than a fall not on an element
Music choice is entirely subjective they wanted a canadian artist for worlds in Montreal, if it was any other team with no politics on their side the fall would have been heavily sanctioned element or not.

C

casken

Hilarious the second that C&B got to the one part of their FD that had intricate, behind the back holds, they wipe out.

But who cares, here's a bunch of technical points for standing on two feet and gyrating really well during something called "The choreographic character" sequence?

Oh yeah, this is good for the sport. This legitimizes it. :slinkaway

heartyxo

I hope it’s polka too. It was last done in 2013. Pretty much all the others (except golden waltz) have been done recently. Very few of the top teams (except C/B, H/D, G/P and G/F?) have done it. Blues and hip hop was 2017 so pretty recent.

yurokis40

Hilarious the second that C&B got to the one part of their FD that had intricate, behind the back holds, they wipe out.

But who cares, here's a bunch of technical points for standing on two feet and gyrating really well during something called "The choreographic character" sequence?

Gadbois and US fed pay off, G&P robbed..

heartyxo

most teams are standing for most of the character step, it’s not just them.

heartyxo

Even if G/P would have won it wouldn't be them "getting what they deserved" or whatever it is people want. It would be them winning because others made mistakes. They wouldn't have even got silver if it wasn't for H/D's twizzle error. The same thing happened to C/B last year and it didn't help them at all at worlds.

Obviously it's not as bad as H/D's but I do think G/P made a slight mistake with their FD. C/B went with G/P's usual tactic- something creative and different, and it's done so much for them. Besides the lifts, which are the best and most difficult in the world and I will stand by that, it's not the most technically difficult program but it does require lots of artistry and musicality to pull off and they've made that program individual to them like G/P have with several in the past. As long as their levels are good, which they generally are (all level 4 except the circular step today!), they're going to get massive scores. G/P's is lovely and scoring pretty well but it's typical lyrical, like so many others.

yurokis40

Even if G/P would have won it wouldn't be them "getting what they deserved" or whatever it is people want. It would be them winning because others made mistakes. They wouldn't have even got silver if it wasn't for H/D's twizzle error. The same thing happened to C/B last year and it didn't help them at all at worlds.

Obviously it's not as bad as H/D's but I do think G/P made a slight mistake with their FD. C/B went with G/P's usual tactic- something creative and different, and it's done so much for them. Besides the lifts, which are the best and most difficult in the world and I will stand by that, it's not the most technically difficult program but it does require lots of artistry and musicality to pull off and they've made that program individual to them like G/P have with several in the past. As long as their levels are good, which they generally are (all level 4 except the circular step today!), they're going to get massive scores. G/P's is lovely and scoring pretty well but it's typical lyrical, like so many others.
We will see what happens in Canada, G&P usually get scored much higher in Canada than anywhere in the world you know that crowd will eat up both sides now and joni that could influence some judges in thight scoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information