Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
Since Sofia Akatieva won't be ISU Junior age eligible until the 2021-22 season, maybe we should just wait and see how this promising skater develops in the next couple of years.
[Bell's Russian interview] translation (in a nutshell):
  • Adam, who is now her coach and choreographer, suggested "Radar" and "Work B..". Bell was not sure it is her style, and the "b-word" concerned her, as far as judges' reaction. But she trusted Adam, he mixed the music in a way that it is unique, and now she thinks it is cool, and glad she trusted him.
I recall Rippon crediting "DJ ShyBoy" for remixing Bell's SP music (in Mariah's SP choreography video that he posted on his YT channel back in the summer). Thanks for posting a translation/summary of her interview.

Vagabond

One option: Let broadcasters show whatever they want during the program, including closeups of face or blades, overhead shots, etc., using their own cameras.
You are far more knowledgeable about skating-related matters than I am, but I feel obliged to point out that the current practice is for a domestic broadcaster to do the feed. A particular foreign broadcaster can't use its own cameras; it has to use the same feed as everyone else.

Sylvia

TBD
As mentioned earlier in this thread, Elsa Cheng will make her Team USA debut next month in the junior international event of Golden Spin of Zagreb. Her Mids winning Novice FS (scored 107.39 & credited with landing 5 of 7 triples cleanly) to the Somewhere in Time OST can be viewed starting at the 2 hour 18 min. 30 sec. mark (a 30 second ad will play first): https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/watch/?Archive=1066
She is coached by Bradie's coach, Denise Myers.

Sylvia

TBD
Excerpt:
"I think setbacks, as much as they're hard when you're going through them, they really do make you stronger, and you really do learn so much about yourself when you're going through them," she said. "So I think just from those experiences, you kind of find your way a little bit. You can get yourself into a better headspace, so you're not only physically prepared every day you're training and at competitions, but you're also really mentally strong and know that you're capable of performing the way that you want to, even under the pressure of competition."
In addition to skating, Wessenberg attends Northeastern University in Boston. A biology major, she's currently taking classes in chemistry and ethical issues in science. Since last season, she's moved into a new apartment with a new roommate she met through school.
"I have really good skating friends, but also to be able to spend time with people outside of the skating world I think is good to give you perspective, and it makes you a more well-rounded individual, which you can then take back to the ice," Wessenberg said.

Princessroja

Looks like Karen may be a spoiler on who gets into the GPF. She is in 3td after the sho

Unfortunately she placed 8th at her last GP, so she could win and still not make the final. I also think it's unlikely Zagitova won't podium in the end. But she should be very happy with her small medal!

concorde

Unfortunately she placed 8th at her last GP, so she could win and still not make the final. I also think it's unlikely Zagitova won't podium in the end. But she should be very happy with her small medal!
Zagitova needs a podium finish to reach the GPF. Zagitova is currently in 4th. Karen doing well in her long means Zag is out of the GPF. Hence Karen becomes a "spoiler."
Karen will not make the GPF but she can really upset who makes it in.

vesperholly

No small medals here, only ISU championships (Euros, 4CC, Worlds).

oleada

Zagitova needs a podium finish to reach the GPF. Zagitova is currently in 4th. Karen doing well in her long means Zag is out of the GPF. Hence Karen becomes a "spoiler."
Karen will not make the GPF but she can really upset who makes it in.
No, she only needs to finish 4th and out score Satoko, IIRC.

Vagabond

"There are no small medals, only small skaters." -- attributed to Konstantin Stanislavsky

concorde

No, she only needs to finish 4th and out score Satoko, IIRC.
Sorry about that. I had read somewhere that she need a podium finish to reach the finals.

This amazing how quickly the pecking changes in ladies skating. Not so in the men.

concorde

^^ Zag aint consistent? the current World Champion? Hmmm that aint how I would describe Zag.

Anywhooo.. some good news.... Bradie, Mariah, Amber, Karen are all USA ladies who have won medals, or been in top 3 after SP or both!

What a step up since the past 2 season!!!!

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:
Everything is relative. Zag is always good not not always great.
She became the Olympic Champion but was then 5th at Worlds.

Sylvia

TBD
Anywhooo.. some good news.... Bradie, Mariah, Amber, Karen are all USA ladies who have won medals, or been in top 3 after SP or both!
Well, if you mean senior international this season only, Gabriella Izzo recently won her first CS medal (bronze) at Asian Open Trophy. :)

Glad Karen set an ISU PB score in Sapporo. Excerpt from her article linked in post #158 above:
"I totally feel that there's an adjustment period [freshman year at Cornell], and I thought that I'd be able to adjust faster," Chen said. "I didn't know what to expect, and when it all kind of hit, it hit pretty hard. It takes time to kind of adjust to that and figure everything out, because skating is really important, but so is school and my grades."
She squeezes in ice time at the local rink in Ithaca around her classes – on Tuesdays and Thursdays, she goes to class in the morning and skates in the afternoon, while on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, she'll skate in the morning before classes. ... <snip> ...
Chen is also figuring out how to better manage in her classes – a human development major, she's taking classes on adulthood and aging, infancy and childhood, and psychology of gender, plus a required freshman writing seminar – and has friends who send her their notes and other updates when she's out of town for skating.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Hmm, so score-wise the three highest USA ladies on GP circuit were Bradie (GPFinalist), Mariah and Amber. Starr just a hair behind Amber.

Karen seems back to doing consistent low scoring frees. She seems unhappy still when on the ice, like it aint her passion, though I could be wrong. (Still wish Ash had been on the Oly team.) I hope US judges dont inflate her Nats scores. enough.

Wish we could see Ting though I know she is very inconsistent as well.

Cant wait to see Alysa and Bradie in their GP Finals!!!!

Last edited:

olympic

It's too bad we did not see Ting this Fall. She may have been the key no. 4 US Gal (no. 3 Senior). As it is, there is a big gap between Amber and Bradie-Mariah-Alysa, although, props to Amber for being a lot more together this season.

Jammers

It's too bad we did not see Ting this Fall. She may have been the key no. 4 US Gal (no. 3 Senior). As it is, there is a big gap between Amber and Bradie-Mariah-Alysa, although, props to Amber for being a lot more together this season.
Do we even know how Ting is doing? I wish she would have at least one competition before Nationals. What a lost first Senior season she has had. Not good when trying to build up a reputation to make an Olympic team in only a little over two years.

mtnskater

Congratulations to Bradie to make the GPF!!! Bradie and Mariah really delivered on the Grand Prix this year. Given the stiff competition in ladies, they both should be very proud. They both work very, very hard and it pays off.

I wish Karen, Amber and Starr would buckle down and train like an Eteri skater (tall order I know). Or even like Bradie and Mariah. I too still wish Ash had gotten the Olympic spot. Karen has so much talent as evidenced by the short, but just doesn’t have the right headspace. To think she was 4th in the World at one point. I get so frustrated with her. Amber and Starr need to move to a top training facility and really buckle down. But I don’t see that happening. All of these skaters have a lot of talent, but not realized. I love Ting but her injury issues may leave her behind with the technical growth in ladies. She is the big unknown in the US senior ladies ranks. I also had high hopes for Hannah Harrell last year, but she has disappeared from the radar.

natsulian

Congratulations to Bradie to make the GPF!!! Bradie and Mariah really delivered on the Grand Prix this year. Given the stiff competition in ladies, they both should be very proud. They both work very, very hard and it pays off.

I wish Karen, Amber and Starr would buckle down and train like an Eteri skater (tall order I know). Or even like Bradie and Mariah. I too still wish Ash had gotten the Olympic spot. Karen has so much talent as evidenced by the short, but just doesn’t have the right headspace. To think she was 4th in the World at one point. I get so frustrated with her. Amber and Starr need to move to a top training facility and really buckle down. But I don’t see that happening. All of these skaters have a lot of talent, but not realized. I love Ting but her injury issues may leave her behind with the technical growth in ladies. She is the big unknown in the US senior ladies ranks. I also had high hopes for Hannah Harrell last year, but she has disappeared from the radar.
Hanna has also been injured for most of the season. I wonder if it's due to trying to learn the 3A AND a quad... She get's huge GOE on her jumps because they're so big, so I hope she can land them now and has toned down the rippon.

Joubabe

I heard on Ice Talk that Amber was recently diagnosed with ADD which is why she loses focus in the long program. It’s not that she doesn’t work hard enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information