U.S. Ice Dance 2019-20 season news & updates

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I have only seen one version of A Star is Born (the Judy Garland one), but in general I don't like programs that are based on a movie with the assumption that most of the audience has seen the movie and knows the characters. I don't like H/D's A Star is Born program because I don't think the music is a good choice for skating. I have no idea if the program is telling the story of the film. (They could also improve the program by choosing a different dress for Madi :lol:).

FWIW I haven't been able to sit through more than 15 minutes of Moulin Rouge because there is just too much going on and the rapid-fire editing is annoying. I know that the plot involves a prostitute, but other than that, Moulin Rouge programs leave me :confused: unless the skaters are skating to the music as a piece of music, not as a rendition of plot points from the film.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

greenapple

Given how short his pants are I think it would have looked completely dorky for him to have worn socks with them.

blancanieves

I don't think anybody thought the problem with R+J was that it was soundtrack music.

For me it was part of the problem. Arguably "Kissing you" isn't a great vehicle for a dynamic dance, ultimately the music cut had to change drastically. But also in choosing music with pre-existing story associations you have to be assertive about your interpretation, do you ignore them or not. I think attempting to choreograph a version of the story in the film and soundtrack proved to be a struggle for them all season long.

Sylvia

TBD
McNamara/Carpenter are on the list for Golden Spin! :cheer2: :cheer2:
As are Caroline Green/Michael Parsons (GS would be their 3rd ISU Challenger this fall; they're competing at Warsaw Cup this week).

Katarina Wolfkostin/Jeffrey Chen are listed on USFS' International Assignments page for the Junior event at Golden Spin.

This Chock/Bates article was published before the results of the Cup of China FD were known:

Sylvia

TBD
Ice-dance.com will be covering the ice dance events at the (inaugural) 2020 U.S. Dance Final in Hyannis, Mass. from November 13-15, 2019 (event info & links, plus team profiles): https://www.ice-dance.com/site/2020-u-s-ice-dance-final/

Juvenile/Intermediate/Novice pattern dances will be streamed live tomorrow/be available for on demand viewing in the Fan Zone for free (a 30 second ad will play whenever you start watching): https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/watch

Link to the competition thread for discussion/results of this week's 3 Sectionals (singles)/Dance & Pairs finals in the Kiss & Cry section: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...and-pairs-dance-finals-nov-12-16-2019.106346/

seabm7

Spiralgraph

Shibutani's are coming back? This Japanese newspaper claims so,

What? Pardon me but I'll remain skeptical until this happens. If it happens at all.

J

Jeschke

Shibutani's are coming back? This Japanese newspaper claims so,

I need a photo of Hawayek‘s reaction to this :D

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I'd rather they not come back. I really don't want the same 3 teams going to Beijing that competed in Korea. Time for some new blood as is Evan Bates has already been to 3 Olympics.
I love the Shibs and I rooted hard for them at the last Olympics, but honestly, I kind of feel the same way. We have so many great young teams. I'd like as many of them as possible to get their shot at the Olympics.
I see your point but I was thinking more in terms of a team that could potentially challenge P/C. I don't see it happening with either H/D, C/B (or any of the other non-US teams for that matter) right now.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I'd rather they not come back. I really don't want the same 3 teams going to Beijing that competed in Korea. Time for some new blood as is Evan Bates has already been to 3 Olympics.

Honey, Id still have Harding, Yamaguchi and Kerrigan at The Olys if they were the best today.

If M&C, G&P, C&P and from what Ive seen of H&B aint the top 3 in US, Id be pleased as punch for the same top 3 teams to go back!

#BrintItMadiTheSnake

VGThuy

I actually have my doubts because I think if they were to come back, they'd be training right about now and would have a training center all lined up. Publicly, they just announced a series of middle-school aged children books and have been working on other projects for the most part.

But if they were, then why not have this attitude about other two veteran teams then? I don't see the need for complaining about the Shibs if they do come back but not the other two teams who have been around just as long as they have and are all four actually older individually than Maia by some years and three of the four being older than Alex.

I don't see that happening with the Shibs either.

I don't either, but the Shibs were the only one of the three to manage to beat P/C at some portion of the competition in the last two seasons of the last Olympic cycle and beyond. That won't ever happen again unless the Shibs improve from where they last were by some way (probably ways most of you who liked that quoted comment can't imagine) but they managed to exceed people's expectations before - I remember reading people's predictions about them during those seasons and prior.

Last edited:

layman

I am all for the Shibs coming back.

Question(s) for everyone: Do you think Virture/Moir coming back hurt Canadian Ice Dance? Blocked young teams from progressing? Ruined careers(Weaver/Poje)?

I just have a hard time seeing things that way. I think talented teams will rise regardless of who else is competing. The more (teams), the merrier.

Carolla5501

And this is exactly what is wrong with ice dance. How you skate has too little impact on where you place.

What should be able to happen is that one of the younger teams would knock the current "royalty" off the podium. But... it's Ice Dance where you get exceptional "reputation" points.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I don't really see any room at the inn for the Shibs. Yes, C/B have been around just as long but they're bringing something new to the table with their revived career in Montreal. I think the only way the Shibs would bring more excitement is if they came back with different partners.

believed

I am all for the Shibs coming back.

Question(s) for everyone: Do you think Virture/Moir coming back hurt Canadian Ice Dance? Blocked young teams from progressing? Ruined careers(Weaver/Poje)?

I just have a hard time seeing things that way. I think talented teams will rise regardless of who else is competing. The more (teams), the merrier.
A lot of people did/do think this about VM returning.

Barbara Manatee

I think talented teams will rise regardless of who else is competing.
It isn't that simple. Teams need more than talent, especially developing teams. They need resources and access to things like a spot with top coaches, funding, international assignments, political support from their federation. They need the encouragement and experience of climbing up the ranks and getting on to podiums. All of those are in limited supply. I don't believe that the teams on top have any obligation to retire before they are ready, but they do limit the opportunities that other teams need to rise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information