ISU announces YouTube live streaming of Grand Prix & ISU Championships in 2019/20 (geo-restrictions will apply)

Skate Talker

So, any final list about the geoblocked countries?
I also found a list of territories that could be geo-blocked at Skating News at ISU.org. It will also be updated.

Where to watch ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating
"Final list" is probably just not happening. Although ISU has published the current list, it is noteworthy that the list is prefaced with the statement that these are the territories where the YouTube stream "could" be geo-blocked. For example, Canada is listed but in the past, although they had the rights and streamed live themselves, CBC did not geo-block the ISU's Eurovision stream. I take the "could" to mean it is totally up to the rights holder to decide whether or not to invoke the geo-block. Basically it would seem to mean if your territory is not on the ISU list, you should be good to go - for now anyway. If your territory is on the list I think you would either have to get confirmation from your rights holder or just wait and see. In addition there may still be some negotiations going on that will conclude at a later date and take effect later.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
Could you provide the link for where you signed up? SFAIK, you are in Canada. But I may have got that wrong.

Thanks.
Go to https://gem.cbc.ca/ and click sign up in the top right corner. After you've signed up you can choose if you want to upgrade to the premium account or not. I chose to because there's a 1 month free trial and I hate commercials. It's $4.99 a month after that. It'll come in handy once the next season of Schitt's Creek starts next year and they have a semi decent selection of movies for streaming that aren't on other apps so it's worth it for me right now. It's easy enough to cancel if I change my mind later.
Same here.

I always have buffering issues with the CBC Live stream but rarely with Youtube.
I don't usually have too many issues when I was screen mirroring from my iPad. I'll have to see what happens this weekend watching through the Gem app on my TV.

SamuraiK

"Final list" is probably just not happening. Although ISU has published the current list, it is noteworthy that the list is prefaced with the statement that these are the territories where the YouTube stream "could" be geo-blocked. For example, Canada is listed but in the past, although they had the rights and streamed live themselves, CBC did not geo-block the ISU's Eurovision stream. I take the "could" to mean it is totally up to the rights holder to decide whether or not to invoke the geo-block. Basically it would seem to mean if your territory is not on the ISU list, you should be good to go - for now anyway. If your territory is on the list I think you would either have to get confirmation from your rights holder or just wait and see. In addition there may still be some negotiations going on that will conclude at a later date and take effect later.

Thanks, the advantage of living in a non skating country is I get free pass to all of this!! :cheer2: :cheer2:

Sally1214

CBC broadcasting schedule for livestreaming has been updated to include Skate America.

Surely it's just an error but the website doesn't list the Pairs Free Skate as being streamed. When I go to the CBC Sports Player, they only have the gala, Ladies Free & Ice Dance Free set up (for clicking on). No short programs there for Friday yet. Of course, there is always the possibility I'm doing something wrong. There IS only one CBC Sports Player for Live Stream, right?

skatingguy

decently
Surely it's just an error but the website doesn't list the Pairs Free Skate as being streamed. When I go to the CBC Sports Player, they only have the gala, Ladies Free & Ice Dance Free set up (for clicking on). No short programs there for Friday yet. Of course, there is always the possibility I'm doing something wrong. There IS only one CBC Sports Player for Live Stream, right?
The short programs are listed, but not the pairs free skate. Maybe they're still updating the information.

bardtoob

I watched the ISU feed in Israel without commentary. Crystal-clear picture and no words to filter out. It was heaven.

But, but, but ... then you miss Tara Lipinski saying over and over how the front runner is ambitious and reminds her of herself.

barbarafan

The short programs are listed, but not the pairs free skate. Maybe they're still updating the information.
could be an oversight, as well there is something with Dylan Moscovitch and a show to do with the competition so maybe the show is at Pairs Free skate where he covers it with commentary. I was out most of yesterday and evening so I haven't looked yet.. If I see something I will pass it on.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
It's worth noting that on their international assignments page, Skate Canada has a link for live streaming for Skate America and it takes you to the ISU youtube channel.

Sally1214

Isn't it strange that, when you go to CBC Sports player, it doesn't show anything for live streaming except for the gala, Ladies FS and Dance Free? Even when I click on "show more," there's nothing there to show that this is where we would click to watch today's events. Wouldn't everything be up by now ... just a few hours before the event? Am I clicking on the right link?
https://www.cbc.ca/player/sports/Live Streaming

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Isn't it strange that, when you go to CBC Sports player, it doesn't show anything for live streaming except for the gala, Ladies FS and Dance Free? Even when I click on "show more," there's nothing there to show that this is where we would click to watch today's events. Wouldn't everything be up by now ... just a few hours before the event? Am I clicking on the right link?

It's a little different with the NBC Sports Channel. The Ladies Short Program is showing it will begin at 11 p.m. central time. The Mens Free Skate will begin at 5 p.m. central time Saturday, and the Ladies Free Skate will begin 12 a.m. central time Sunday.

Nothing else like Pairs, Dance, etc. is listed at all. So I autotuned what skating there is on NBC Sports channel so I won't miss it.

Sally1214

It's a little different with the NBC Sports Channel. The Ladies Short Program is showing it will begin at 11 p.m. central time. The Mens Free Skate will begin at 5 p.m. central time Saturday, and the Ladies Free Skate will begin 12 a.m. central time Sunday.

Nothing else like Pairs, Dance, etc. is listed at all. So I autotuned what skating there is on NBC Sports channel so I won't miss it.

My concern is that, when I actually click on the CBC Sports Player, there is no indication right there that they are showing the short programs from Skate America that are on today. Yes, they are listed on the website "menu" but when you click on the sports player itself at https://www.cbc.ca/player/sports/Live Streaming where do you find where the Skate America Short Programs are upcoming in just a few hours? I can't.

Colonel Green

My concern is that, when I actually click on the CBC Sports Player, there is no indication right there that they are showing the short programs from Skate America that are on today. Yes, they are listed on the website "menu" but when you click on the sports player itself at https://www.cbc.ca/player/sports/Live Streaming where do you find where the Skate America Short Programs are upcoming in just few hours? I can't.
It should be here when the time comes:

barbarafan

try here .....link gets underlined in red when it starts.
only thing missing (at this time is pairs free skate) at this time.

skatingguy

decently
The youtube links are also showing for the live streams at the moment for me here in Canada. I have found in the past that events that are geo-blocked don't appear at all, but maybe that will change once the event starts.

Colonel Green

The youtube links are also showing for the live streams at the moment for me here in Canada. I have found in the past that events that are geo-blocked don't appear at all, but maybe that will change once the event starts.
If they don't let people in countries with TV rights watch the videos, they should at least give us the ability to post hateful comments about the skaters -- that's what this is all about, right?

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
FYI - All of the events, with links, are listed if you go here: https://cbc.calreplyapp.com/figureskating

skatingguy

decently
If they don't let people in countries with TV rights watch the videos, they should at least give us the ability to post hateful comments about the skaters -- that's what this is all about, right?
I don't know, I don't usually use the youtube comment section. It moves too fast on most live streams to keep up with and there's so much spam. I usually stick to the pbp threads here.

Sally1214

Thanks so much to all of you who listed the links for the Skate America events. I don't know what I'd do without you ... well, I guess I'd probably miss a LOT of skating!! So, yes .... I really do appreciate your help.

ivagall

I guess that means that my country is geoblocked, even if the owner of the rights does not plan to air a second from the competition. Perfect.

Orm Irian

So SBS picked up the rights for Australia after all - too late to stream Skate America, at minimum. Oh well, VPNs are a wonderful thing...

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
So SBS picked up the rights for Australia after all - too late to stream Skate America, at minimum. Oh well, VPNs are a wonderful thing...

Apparently people called SBS this morning and SBS say they don't have the rights. So we've been geoblocked for nothing.

Frankly, I'm more annoyed that they've disabled remote viewing ie Chromecasting.

Colonel Green

I saw some people saying the Eurovision stream is still working at the moment, for those who can't watch on YouTube.

seabm7

Apparently people called SBS this morning and SBS say they don't have the rights. So we've been geoblocked for nothing.

Frankly, I'm more annoyed that they've disabled remote viewing ie Chromecasting.

I wonder if ISU got confused between Korean SBS and Australian SBS? The Korean SBS is notorious for protecting their right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information