ISU announces YouTube live streaming of Grand Prix & ISU Championships in 2019/20 (geo-restrictions will apply)

Orm Irian

Apparently people called SBS this morning and SBS say they don't have the rights. So we've been geoblocked for nothing.

Frankly, I'm more annoyed that they've disabled remote viewing ie Chromecasting.

This is, I have to say, now such a typical omnishambles that at this point all I can do is laugh.

Do they even know the words 'project manager'? If they do they need a better one.

I wonder if ISU got confused between Korean SBS and Australian SBS? The Korean SBS is notorious for protecting their right.

You know, that's entirely possible...

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I saw some people saying the Eurovision stream is still working at the moment, for those who can't watch on YouTube.

It is, but don't try Chromecasting it - it gets supper laggy and stuttery because it does it super HQ. And there's now no option to downgrade the quality like there used to be.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
I wonder if ISU got confused between Korean SBS and Australian SBS? The Korean SBS is notorious for protecting their right.
SBS Australia is now on the ISU list of host broadcasters at the link posted upthread. But they're not showing it live (I checked SBS On Demand to make sure) and TV will only show severely edited highlights later.

It's still better than we used to get back in t'old days before YouTube and online streaming (i.e. either 1-2 hour highlights of Euros and Worlds, or nothing at all outside Winter Olympics), but it sucks when you know you could have watched the whole competition.

ETA: The Eurovision stream worked fine for me for Ladies. Only buffered a couple of times at unimportant moments, so that's promising for tomorrow.

Last edited:

Madhatter

Apparently people called SBS this morning and SBS say they don't have the rights. So we've been geoblocked for nothing.

Frankly, I'm more annoyed that they've disabled remote viewing ie Chromecasting.

ISU stream or SBS? Because I had no problem chromecasting the ISU youtube stream.

dmsmith

So glad I am still living in England as Australia seems to have a problem. Managed to watch most of the first day of the ISU GP on YouTube yesterday and am now catching up on the rest, had to go to bed at about 2am as I was falling asleep. Great coverage, although I find the constant advertising annoying. But I am just glad that we can watch via YouTube, knew what to do as I have watched the JGP with the lovely Ted Barton for the last two seasons.
Please ISU can we also have a commentator like Ted, who lets us watch in peace and just discusses what has happened during the replay. Yes I know I am asking for everything and paying nothing. Thanks Diana.

nuge

So glad I am still living in England as Australia seems to have a problem. Managed to watch most of the first day of the ISU GP on YouTube yesterday and am now catching up on the rest, had to go to bed at about 2am as I was falling asleep. Great coverage, although I find the constant advertising annoying.

I'm really missing commentary it's just not the same but am grateful to see the competition.

VanillaIce

Really surprised you were interrupted by commercials. Also in UK I watched on the new ISU YouTube and there were no ads. However, there is no commentary and the music feed is simply awful. Taken direct from the arena with awful background noise.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Really surprised you were interrupted by commercials. Also in UK I watched on the new ISU YouTube and there were no ads. However, there is no commentary and the music feed is simply awful. Taken direct from the arena with awful background noise.

I'm reminded of the year Skate America was broadcast and some bright bulb from marketing thought it would be a good idea to have a mike down at ice level. All anyone could hear was scratchy blade work with a hint of what the skaters were performing to in the background. Fortunately with all of the complaints, the idea was quickly ditched for the next event.

Orm Irian

A little more information for Australian fans from my customer service person at SBS regarding livestreaming:

"we will live stream some events however we just don't have a schedule to hand at present. Unfortunately live streaming of the events is determined by a combination of things, time-zone of event, resources at SBS and availability of the encoders to support the stream. So it can take a bit of time to sort out. I'll be sure to send you the details just as soon as I have them available."

With any luck we'll get Euros, FCCs and Worlds livestreamed even if not the GP series.

barbarafan

A little more information for Australian fans from my customer service person at SBS regarding livestreaming:

"we will live stream some events however we just don't have a schedule to hand at present. Unfortunately live streaming of the events is determined by a combination of things, time-zone of event, resources at SBS and availability of the encoders to support the stream. So it can take a bit of time to sort out. I'll be sure to send you the details just as soon as I have them available."

With any luck we'll get Euros, FCCs and Worlds livestreamed even if not the GP series.
Are you not able to see the ISU stream?

Orm Irian

Are you not able to see the ISU stream?

It's geoblocked, but I have Opera and its built-in VPN now and so that little problem has gone away for me. :) However, I had another bit of news from my friendly customer service contact this afternoon: SBS got footage from Skate America to put up, but there was a problem of some kind with the file/s, so it hasn't gone up yet but they're working on sorting it out. TV coverage will start on 9 November, keeping my septugenarian mother's Saturday afternoons happily occupied, but it looks like we'll at least get some online coverage before then once the tech issues get sorted.

barbarafan

It's geoblocked, but I have Opera and its built-in VPN now and so that little problem has gone away for me. :) However, I had another bit of news from my friendly customer service contact this afternoon: SBS got footage from Skate America to put up, but there was a problem of some kind with the file/s, so it hasn't gone up yet but they're working on sorting it out. TV coverage will start on 9 November, keeping my septugenarian mother's Saturday afternoons happily occupied, but it looks like we'll at least get some online coverage before then once the tech issues get sorted.
I am in Canada and I get it fine. I have also tried on some competitions a link which is Chinese or something but if you figure out which one to select works fine. I usually get my options fro SYWTWFS....Here is the link for Skate Canada
https://soyouwanttowatchfs.com/post/188505465730/2019-gp-skate-canada-info-streaming
lower left hand of page is link to current competition. I look the competitions up each week there.

mocha-ice

They’re announcing some new event or competition.

During the practices Ted Barton said it would be something related to Worlds. Something new that had never been done before... not sure if it’s related to the Art on Ice announcement from a week or two ago but we shall find out.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

During the practices Ted Barton said it would be something related to Worlds. Something new that had never been done before... not sure if it’s related to the Art on Ice announcement from a week or two ago but we shall find out.

Maybe Ted is doing a Mister Rogers reboot called Mister Barton's Ice Rink. I would watch that in a heart beat.

Sylvia

TBD
The press conference is underway and it sounds like there will be a special figure skating awards show at Montreal Worlds on Sunday, March 22 (in place of the traditional Gala?) that will involve performances from the World medalists and other acts, including Cirque du Soleil and Art on Ice, plus a red carpet event.

This is Ari Zakarian's brainchild.

ETA that a new GSD thread has been started:

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Sounds like there will be a special figure skating awards show at Montreal Worlds on Sunday, March 22 (in place of the traditional Gala?) that will involve performances from the World medalists and other acts, including Cirque du Soleil.

I think it all started with Adam Rippon standing on the ice in his skates and singing instead of actually skating at the NHK Trophy a couple of years ago.

Will it be a one-off novelty in Montreal. Or a regular thing. Personally, turning it into an awards show for best gown and best choreography takes away from the skaters doing what they do best.

Orm Irian

The press conference is underway and it sounds like there will be a special figure skating awards show at Montreal Worlds on Sunday, March 22 (in place of the traditional Gala?) that will involve performances from the World medalists and other acts, including Cirque du Soleil and Art on Ice, plus a red carpet event.

What a waste of time and money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information