The Dance Hall 7: Tripping the Light Fantastic 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

muffinplus

When do you believe information? The reports came 2nd hand. Do you only believe a source if someone personally witnessed it? What if that person retold this story. Is the story itself problematic unless you heard it from the source? I’m just curious where people think the line is, because the burden of proof some here are suggesting pretty much negates almost any and all news and reporting.

I, for one, believe the narrative that S&K had to leave Zueva due to Nikita’s abusive behavior at the rink, and that it was out of Zueva's hands at that point.

What was the source of this 2nd hand information?

chantilly

When do you believe information? The reports came 2nd hand. Do you only believe a source if someone personally witnessed it? What if that person retold this story. Is the story itself problematic unless you heard it from the source? I’m just curious where people think the line is, because the burden of proof some here are suggesting pretty much negates almost any and all news and reporting.

I, for one, believe the narrative that S&K had to leave Zueva due to Nikita’s abusive behavior at the rink, and that it was out of Zueva's hands at that point.
I believe it when people cite actual examples that seem to come from credible sources with quotes or snippets of articles or interviews.

My issue is when people just make statements and don’t provide any proof or examples.

I don’t remember hearing or reading anything about him being abusive.

I remember there was a lot of backlash against him when he severed the partnership with Elena.

chantilly

After doing a little research all the accounts I read are merely rumours and range from him being a temperamental douche and them choosing to leave to train in Russia to him screaming at Sinitsina and everyone else and being kicked out of Canton.

I’m sure there’s some truth in there, but it’s hardly definitive proof he’s abusive.

Im guessing he’s a temperamental jerk sometimes based on these rumours.

Given that he and Elena had their issues with their relationships I’m guessing he’s difficult.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Nobody is actually. But he can't seem to wrap his mind about the fact that going at warp speed doesn't always look best. It may be impressive athletically but the dance suffers. But hey..

Then, did Elena I match and control Nikita's freakin' speed?! Elena was def Nikita's match and then some, as we well know!
Obviously, Swan Lake was made for these two! :love: Apparently, Elena contained Nikita's speed and helped him control his emotions (at least sometimes ;)). With the right music selection, Elena appears to have kept Nikita from 'jumping out of his pants,' on the ice. Unfortunately, Nikita couldn't keep their former coach, Morosov, from 'jumping out of his pants' off-the-ice. :COP:

aftershocks

Banned Member
... this is also Victoria's choice.

Yep, sure. :glamor: But as we do all know whether or not we fully recognize it, many Russian figure skaters see skating as their ticket to a better life, which would inform some of the 'desperate' looks seen on the faces of some Russian skaters trying to break through the tight competitive fields. And who knows, Vika could be a classic case of the woman who loves her man, 'stands by her man,' puts up with abuse from her man, sings his praises, hides or attempts to ignore her emotional pain, and tries to believe his 'sorry' pleas that he's a reformed man and won't ever hurt her again. :(

I remember hearing that Elena & Nikita fought amongst themselves, but I think it's highly likely that Elena gave as good as she got from Nikita, and then most sadly the whole friggin' young relationship and partnership was terribly complicated and upended by Morosov's seduction of Elena. Nikita blamed Elena, and he perhaps may still be carrying some residue of pent-up anger inside. Nope, I'm not a psychologist, nor a relationship counselor. :rofl: I've just lived for a long time, and seen a lot.

Not one-for-one related, but I also recently read a conversation with Toni Morrison in which she mentioned having written a story based on having seen a photo of a dying young woman who refused to admit before she died that her boyfriend shot her at a party with a silencer. :eek:

Ka3sha

Maybe we can move from rumors/speculations/personal attitude towards some skaters to actual ice dance? :shuffle:

McNamara/Carpenter withdrew from IdF due to injury :(
Wish them a speedy recovery, the injury seems to be pretty serious if they are withdrawing from event a month prior to it.

Colonel Green

Wish them a speedy recovery, the injury seems to be pretty serious if they are withdrawing from event a month prior to it.
Serious enough to withdraw a month before, but apparently not serious enough for them to rule out competing at NHK three weeks later.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Serious enough to withdraw a month before, but apparently not serious enough for them to rule out competing at NHK three weeks later.

Probably hoping to be improved by then, or else the medical prognosis indicates that timing for recovery may be conducive by then. If not, they have time to reassess ahead of NHK. I wish them well. It's best to be cautious with injuries.

Dobre

Bringing this over from the Finlandia play-by-play thread so that I can continue the conversation. (Hope that is OK, Wyliefan).

This Rhythm Dance for Wang & Liu is so stellar. I wish they had an even typically interesting FD because their RD is breakthrough material.

I LOVE Wang/Liu's FD. :lol:

That's interesting. Why? (I think if I hear what other people appreciate about a program, I sometimes can appreciate it more).

To me, W&L's Swan Lake FD highlights everything that they are not. (A team with classic, balletic lines; a traditional love story vibe; or a prima ballerina look. Essentially the same issues that Hawayek & Baker had when they used the Nutcracker for their SD. W&L are good storytellers, but there is basically no story in this interpretation. Nor does the music selected strike me as among the more powerful from the ballet. This particular rendition has about 2.5 seconds of Swandom from him & none from her. More along the lines of Guignard & Fabbri's music-only interpretation of--again--The Nutcracker, which was mostly well-skated but doesn't stand out for me within G&F's resume or against several other Nutcrackers).

While Wang & Liu's Chaplin RD highlights everything that W&L are. As I posted earlier. (Heading to the search engine to find the post I already wrote about this . . . here it is):

I think that's a pretty cute Chaplin number. I mean, of all the teams to start their program off with a line about "A Look-Alike Contest." Very nice lines. Nice unison. Does exactly what they need. Shows they are a well-polished team regardless of the height difference & pokes fun at it. Uses their own uniqueness as a strength. Costumes totally work.

And personality. It's a great program. Tipping my hat to everyone involved on this one. Shows off their time together versus the younger teams that are not as polished and not yet as well-defined in having a unique personal dynamic.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I'm honestly not sure I can analyze why I loved it. I just loved it. :lol: When they skate it again and I watch it again tomorrow, I can probably tell you more.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
With a good quality video, I really enjoyed C/B's FD even more. She's wrapping herself around him beautifully like the snake she's supposed to be. The character step sequence seemed to have had the audience going finishing the program on a high note. They still look cautious and a bit slow at times, esp. during the step seq and the twizzles which don't cover a lot of ice but it might be an impression. If someone saw them live at Finlandia, maybe they could tell us. But I'm definitely excited to see their programs grow this season.

Last edited:

chantilly

With a good quality video, I really enjoyed C/B's FD even more. She's wrapping herself around him beautifully like the snake she's supposed to be. The character step sequence seemed to have had the audience going finishing the program on a high note. They still look cautious and a bit slow at times, esp. during the step seq and the twizzles which don't cover a lot of ice but it might be an impression. If someone saw them live at Finlandiya, maybe they could tell us. But I'm definitely excited to see their programs grow this season.
It's still early in the season. But in general I have found them cautious and slow on twizzles and footwork.But IMO Gadbois has improved their general skating so I expect them to continue to improve. For example, I didn't find them as cautious and slow last season as I have seasons before.

Dobre

Weatherby & Yerzhanov got their Worlds minimum TES scores at the Denis Ten Memorial Challenge so we can expect a dance team from Kazakhstan at Worlds this year. (Small-federation at-home Senior B inflation. Take notes, Australia).

Have Polishook & Kizala disappeared? Is there no one in line to collect on an Olympic berth for Lithuania if Allison doesn't pass her language test?

Bigbird

I was a bit iffy on the program the first time I saw it, but man, they're really performing the heck out of it! I couldn't help but be impressed.

If that program only had a bit more power, speed and drama they could threaten the podium. This type of choreo needs exceptional skating skills to work. Maddie needs to be delivering it like some combination of Baiul, Grishuk or Ilinykh, otherwise it will not work. Evan needs to just be Platov period.

Wyliefan

@Dobre, having now watched Swan Lake again, I'm not much more able to analyze my reaction than before. :lol: They have a really nice presence on the ice and I like this music (and these costumes) for them. That's about it!

Dobre

Thank you for trying. It was very clean-looking alongside the Bohemian Rhapsody programs, I'll give it that.

Wyliefan

It's funny, sometimes (IMHO) ballet music just works for someone you wouldn't think it would work for. Kaetlyn Osmond, for instance.

firstflight

I just find it really hard to understand why Marjorie hasn’t been coached better regarding facial expressions in their RD. Of any musical to not be all smiles all the time.....

Colonel Green

I just find it really hard to understand why Marjorie hasn’t been coached better regarding facial expressions in their RD. Of any musical to not be all smiles all the time.....
Their RD is using the fun upbeat parts of the score, so I don't think her expression is out of place (the sunny smile is Marjorie's default expression, of course).

Ka3sha

Someone asked about Skoptsova/Alyoshin in this thread not so long ago (can't find the post now) - they are doing small local event this week (Panin-Kolomenkin Memorial in St Petersburg).
Ushakova/Nekrasov are also expected to compete at this event

nimi

C/B, La/La & Shpil/Smir all got their character step invalidated in Finlandia FD (protocol) and I wonder why.

I haven't rewatched & compared these Finlandia performances to the Lombardia ones, where both L/L and S/S did get credit for the character step, but IIRC the choreography has stayed pretty much the same... So what gives?

Bigbird

C/B, La/La & Shpil/Smir all got their character step invalidated in Finlandia FD (protocol) and I wonder why.

I haven't rewatched & compared these Finlandia performances to the Lombardia ones, where both L/L and S/S did get credit for the character step, but IIRC the choreography has stayed pretty much the same... So what gives?

The weather, time of the month, hormones, ....the mafia...I still sometimes don't understand why ice dance is a sport:)

SidelineSkater

Is it a distance apart thing? I recall Tanith saying something about Sin/Kats at Worlds 2019 being far apart during an element.

barbarafan

I wondered as well. Would luv it if anyone knows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information