The Dance Hall 7: Tripping the Light Fantastic 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigbird

Just watched Piper and Paul's FD. I thought it was a bad idea on paper and it's even worse in reality with the version they chose. Completely forgettable and that edit is mind-numbingly boring but not quite as annoying as their RD music. I assume they will be Canada's #1 team this season and this is the dreck they show up with?

The costumes are distracting. They need something more earthy and less, much less brown and stuffy. It doesn't match the mood they're trying to create.

EDIT: I mean brown, who chooses brown? :rolleyes: :wall:

barbarafan

Good to know Im not the only one who questions her judging! Lol
Well after her scoring of V/M ..in the 8's I would think she would be banished from int'l judging. However...she often scores cdns very low....except for Carole Lane's teams. I didn't notice her doing anything with French teams before but then I wasn't looking for it.

barbarafan

The costumes are distracting. They need something more earthy and less, much less brown and stuffy. It doesn't match the mood they're trying to create.

EDIT: I mean brown, who chooses brown? :rolleyes: :wall:
They were matching the new dog gimick.

barbarafan

Or maybe she just really likes her new puppy like any normal dog owner :rolleyes:
Or maybe she got the dog right before HPcamp...brought the dog and other team members who all had dogs were not informed that dogs were allowed and so did not have their dogs.

Dobre

All righty, then. I just made it through the Russian JGP. Davis & Smolkin get the silver, but their spin gets called a Basic & they didn't bring in the big score they were looking for. Door is open. Currently Demougeot & Le Mercier are scheduled to go up against Nguyen & Kolesnik and Khudaberdieva & Filatov in Poland next week. Can D&LM still be moved? Their score in France was 161, already a point above Davis & Smolkin's from Lake Placid. But 4 1/2 behind K&F and 9 behind N&K. D&LM need a silver. They cannot walk out with bronze or it won't matter if they outscore the competition. Raise your hand if you think Demougeot & Le Mercier should go to Italy.
🙋‍♀️

skategal

Bunny mama
Piper and Paul need to use the original version of “Both Sides Now.”

It’s much lighter and has a slightly faster tempo.

Then they could have taken inspiration from the album cover for their costumes (warm yellows, oranges, red and even a hint of brown....earthy autumn tones.)

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
Piper and Paul need to use the original version of “Both Sides Now.”

It’s much lighter and has a slightly faster tempo.

Then they could have taken inspiration from the album cover for their costumes (warm yellows, oranges, red and even a hint of brown....earthy autumn tones.)

You would think that, as a Canadian team, they would use the Canadian songwriter's version to, well, bring their Canadianness (if such a word doesn't exist, well it should, eh?) to the fore.

skategal

Bunny mama
You would think that, as a Canadian team, they would use the Canadian songwriter's version to, well, bring their Canadianness (if such a word doesn't exist, well it should, eh?) to the fore.

I agree.

I understand why they used the version they did. Supposedly it is THE quintessential version of the song ever recorded and was used in the Vancouver 2010 Olympics ceremony.

But for what they want to achieve this season, the original version is better.

I think in their efforts to equal or better “Vincent” they have overthought things a bit this season.

Sometimes less is more.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
To me it almost feels like they tried to turn themselves into Weaver and Poje. Maybe not consciously, but still.

RoseRed

Not sure I get this comment. The version they are using is not the original, but it was still done by Joni Mitchell, so I don't see how it's any "less Canadian" or whatever.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
I must say Fear/Gibson and Popova/Mozgov have piqued my interest in dance for the first time in years.

That Vogue FD is already brilliant, especially the last minute. Lewis was born to vogue. :swoon: Lilah still looked uncomfortable in spots, but it's September.

I loved Piper & Paul's costumes (sorry) but the actual FD was tedious and boring. So disappointing.

Looking forward to Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen's FD. Loved the RD.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
So far, I'm not too impressed with the RD or FD either fortunately we have still many great teams to see. I don't like musicals but I swore to myself too keep an open mind yet all those musicals are very verbose and tiring so far, it could be a long season.

The standouts were:
  • S/K: again with great material for the RD this year even though Singing in the rain is a theme I don't particularly enjoy. Still lots of work of course, but I anticipate great success once they sharpen their pattern. Their FD however, a huge snoozefest completely empty. Their FD last year wasn't great either but there was at least some tension and a great music thanks to Bach. Here nothing. No clue what they are trying to achieve with this.
  • FB/S, same thing than S/K RD, I don't care for the songs (I actually find it annoying) however, the choreography, costuming and interpretation are already very neat compared to other teams. The twizzle sequence matching the lyrics are cleverly constructed, nice touch. It takes quite the thing to make forget a cringy sounding music so well done. Can't wait for the FD. I loved their Doors FD so much it might be a disappointment though.
  • The Brits have two potentially great programs. She was visibly having hard time while he was rocking it. But if last year's Disco is any indication, she will fix this with more practice. She could muster a great level of energy and fierceness last year so she will be voguing by the end of the season.
  • Lajoie/Lagha RD was quite good too, for a first as senior they looked well prepared and isn't he a mini Scott Moir in the making !!! He looks so much like him, even the way he presents himself and his attitude when he skates. I think they could push Soucisse/Firus to directly be Canadian number 3 because frankly the "taking mum to the prom" shtick isn't doing any favors to that team.

The biggest disappointment are G/F's RD and G/P's RD and FD. Both coming from a very successful season with great set of programs, to produce so uninspired new ones.

muffinplus

This Canadian couldn't care less if a Canadian or non Canadian was using this piece of music... it still doesn't work as an ice dance program at this point :) it is putting me to sleep

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
This Canadian couldn't care less if a Canadian or non Canadian was using this piece of music... it still doesn't work as an ice dance program at this point :) it is putting me to sleep

I’ve loved that song since 10th grade and never thought it would be good for ice dance. An elegiac skater like Jeremy Abbott or Kostner could have used it but it’s a downer for a showy team like G/P.

deegee

good for romain for refraining from creating a new bonnie and clyde program that isn't derivative of that brilliant d/s program from years ago. i liked that for f-b/s. they seem really well-trained for so early in the season. did guillaume make her costume again this year? i love the skirt!

C

casken

Unfortunately for me Fear and Gibson's FD is exactly what... well I feared it would be.

A program that tries to capture the feel of last year's FD, but isn't as well constructed, isn't as edited together as well musically (the transition back into Vogue at the end is brutal) and isn't performed with the same level of authority.

I don't understand choosing to end with a knee slide again if you can't come up with one that's better than the previous one.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
Ok Charlène and Marco have the best FD of the season so far.
+3 for Bowie.
Yet I know it's not there yet, they don't connect to the whole thing at the moment. But that's the ice dance I love.

C

casken

What's with the whole 70s/80s feel for the FDs this year??

Ok Charlène and Marco have the best FD of the season so far.
+3 for Bowie.
Yet I know it's not there yet, they don't connect to the whole thing at the moment. But that's the ice dance I love.

I liked it, but didn't love it. Maybe it will get there. Again,I don't think it's above and beyond enough for them. But considering the competition so far, maybe it is.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
There's nothing as negative as ice dance fans. :lol:

Not understanding all the hate for Gilles/Poirier's programmes either (particularly from Canadians here who would be creaming their pants if any other Canadian skater was using to Joni Mitchell :p).....

One could flip that around and say some would be hating on this music choice if any other Canadian skater had picked it :p

The original version of the song would be a tough sell and too similar to their Vincent program in tone. But this version does the song no favour (and I read they worked with musicians to alter it to fit their elements like they did with the music last season so it's not really music anyone heard before to cream themselves over).

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
I love G/F FD. Would have been even better with David Bowie's original version but this is by far their most interesting program to date. Still loads to do but I thought they looked the most ready of all the recent teams we've seen. Their transitions in and out of every element are often crazy difficult and intricate. Maybe too much at times making it look a bit crowded and also a bit to much flailing arms from Charlene. But I'm ready for them to take over some teams, pity their RD isn't great though.
BTW do they have a fan thread on FSU ? Couldn't find any.

muffinplus

Unfortunately for me Fear and Gibson's FD is exactly what... well I feared it would be.

A program that tries to capture the feel of last year's FD, but isn't as well constructed, isn't as edited together as well musically (the transtion back into Vogue at the end is brutal) and isn't performed with the same level of authority.

I don't understand choosing to end with a knee slide again if you can't come up with one that's better than the previous one.

I agree about the knee slide but I think the lifts (the combo lift is GREAT) and choreography are still good... yes in similar vein to last year, but not totally derivative

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information