The Dance Hall 7: Tripping the Light Fantastic 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

mollymgr

Didn't Montreal or their skaters say last season that the emphasis on performance and they didn't care about the levels so much since they would eventually get better? I'm not sure who said this but I recall something like that.

Debbie S

Didn't Montreal or their skaters say last season that the emphasis on performance and they didn't care about the levels so much since they would eventually get better? I'm not sure who said this but I recall something like that.
Madi Hubbell said it, I think at the GPF. Specifically that they had focused on their performance and not so much on levels for that particular event. But I think she may have been referring to the FD, b/c they had made changes? Or maybe she was talking about both programs.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I recall someone from Montreal saying that you lose the feeling of the dances if you just focus on the key points.

Loved the two RDs from the Canadian teams at Lombardia. L/L doing West Side Story (and it doesn't suck) and a really great Bonnie and Clyde from FB/S.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
FB&S were ok, but not good on key points. The Finnstep sucked. The rest was ok but that music is not great at all.
The other Montreal team I liked, although they're not there yet.

C

casken

It's still S&K > everyone else by a mile for the RD for me.

I'm worried G&F's RD isn't spectacular enough to get the job done. They need to go above and beyond to get the marks.

Did Galyavieva and Thauron personally insult Sharon Rogers or something? Her marks for them were even more suspect then her usual tricks, going out of her way to punish them for having better choreography, interpretation, and performance than the Americans.

And what's with the music and costume violations for them?

shuilee

Wow FB&S are on fire with that SD!! By far the best I've seen so far this year.

And new PB by nearly 5 points. 79+ is competitive with the likes of G&P and Italians. With W&P retiring, looks like they will be a fight for Canadian #1.

Bigbird

I'm worried G&F's RD isn't spectacular enough to get the job done. They need to go above and beyond to get the marks.

Did Galyavieva and Thauron personally insult Sharon Rogers or something? Her marks for them were even more suspect then her usual tricks, going out of her way to punish them for having better choreography, interpretation, and performance than the Americans.

Nikita is too over the top for my tastes, and Victoria is not really a natural dancer. But with all that it's still ...good. The music choices from some of the other teams has just been somewhat off, they're shooting themselves in the foot. I really expected to like G/P but it's a little too stiff for all that camp. Camp has to be skated full out they seem to be stuttering. But hey it's just the start of the season.

MarieM

Well I must agree, all those russian team I thought not ready actually are more ready than all those teams competing this week end.
The theme isn't working at all. It's ... well outdated. It looks outdated, they all make it look outdated. And russians are the best at outdated.
FB&S are the most ready of them all, yet there is something missing.
Gree/Parsons I will consider in two years, when they gel, because they have interesting matching edges while being young and new.

So far, Nikita&Vika win. Duh.

Peepsquick

Well I must agree, all those russian team I thought not ready actually are more ready than all those teams competing this week end.
The theme isn't working at all. It's ... well outdated. It looks outdated, they all make it look outdated. And russians are the best at outdated.
FB&S are the most ready of them all, yet there is something missing.
Gree/Parsons I will consider in two years, when they gel, because they have interesting matching edges while being young and new.

So far, Nikita&Vika win. Duh.

I agree with you as I am not a fan of the theme at all. What strikes me is how awkward the Finn Step seems in most of the RD I have seen. Sometime the music and the choreography seem painfully at odds. Something is just not working.
I feel a little bored as well.

Gris

不做奴才做公民

firstflight

One more challenge this season with the RD’s is that if you haven’t seen said musical, the music can be dreadful. There’s no respite from singing this season.

F/G’s Vogue suffers a bit in comparison to M/J’s Sweet Dreams, IMO. The character step would be seen as more thrilling if we weren’t just treated to M/J’s all-time queerest thing on ice.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

The theme isn't working at all. It's ... well outdated.
How are musicals outdated? This is shaping up to be my favourite RD theme ever.

Still one dance segment to go this weekend, but I think the big story is almost certainly going to be Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen's RD score (and maybe FD score, we'll see tomorrow). To do that at the very start of the season, and in Italy no less, is a big statement.

MarieM

It's outdated because they all, so far, make it look outdated. Outdated costumes, no choreography, no ideas, not even a tiny touch of the original choreography. You skate to a Bob Fosse's theme, why don't you at LEAST TRY something of his?

Anyway, the theme isn't going well on tv, I bet it's worse in the arenas.

Well the FD of Fear&Gibson i LOVE to bits and pieces.
Soucisse&Firus went for broke, and they broke.
Smart&Diaz is lovely, but painfully she can't hold an edge to save her live.

Piper and Paul. Oh well. Not my year with them. They tried to redo Vincent, good idea on paper, but at the moment, this FD lacks EVERYTHING Vincent was.

deegee

Quoting myself from the programs thread, here are two more RDs from Montreal camp for you :p
the chaplin rd is so cute! not the best chaplin impersonation we've seen on ice, but this is adorable!

MarieM

I know!! The costumes do take out so much out of this FD. Can someone explain why they chose that color? It's unflatering.

platniumangel

Good to know Im not the only one who questions her judging! Lol

starrynight

I thought Sinitsina/Katsalapov’s RD was genuinely delightful and I normally am not as interested in Rds.

I liked the one song (no music cuts) and the whole thing seemed elegant and classy. I think they’ll be super competitive with it.

As for the Finnstep, there were so many excellent programs to it in the 2013/2014 season I thought.

Ka3sha

I absolutely loved the Danadians today, their RD is my second favorite so far :love:
A pity that he is still weaker than her in terms of skating skills (lack of basic training is evident), especially in the pattern.

Honestly speaking , I am disappointed with Guinard/Fabbri RD - expected something more original and unique from them.

Overall I think that finnstep is a difficult theme/dance for most of the teams. It not only requires great skating skills, speed and ‘light feet’ to execute the pattern, but skaters also have to actually dance to the music. And the lack of dance training is evident in most of the programs.

Last edited:

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Just watched Piper and Paul's FD. I thought it was a bad idea on paper and it's even worse in reality with the version they chose. Completely forgettable and that edit is mind-numbingly boring but not quite as annoying as their RD music. I assume they will be Canada's #1 team this season and this is the dreck they show up with?

Bigbird

I absolutely loved the Danadians today, their RD is my second favorite so far :love:
A pity that he is still weaker than her in terms of skating skills (lack of basic training is evident), especially in the pattern.

Honestly speaking , I am disappointed with Guinard/Fabbri RD - expected something more original and unique from them.

Overall I think that finnstep is a difficult theme/dance for most of the teams. It not only requires great skating skills, speed and light feet to execute the pattern, but also skaters have to actually dance to the music. And the lack of dance training is evident in most of the programs.

She can really dance, if only he had a bit more confidence and followed her lead they would become very competitive. Of all the dance girls we've seen so far, Russian or otherwise she's the standout for me. Right now he looks a bit starstruck looking at her when they dance. I wonder if Roman and team can help. Hmm....It can be tricky when the couple is an off-ice couple as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information