Netflix/Prime/Hulu Discoveries

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjb52

There's a SECOND season of Trapped?????????? I love that show and that actor is awesome. I think he participates in Hilda as one of the VO artists if I remember correctly. (another great show, which I am watching in French with English subtitles to work on my comprehension).

I want to watch Chernobyl but it looks so intense that I am waiting until I am in the right frame of mind.

Cachoo

There's a SECOND season of Trapped?????????? I love that show and that actor is awesome. I think he participates in Hilda as one of the VO artists if I remember correctly. (another great show, which I am watching in French with English subtitles to work on my comprehension).

I want to watch Chernobyl but it looks so intense that I am waiting until I am in the right frame of mind.

Indeed there is a second season and we have cooler weather this week so I am waiting for the scorching weather next week before I return to Iceland and the latest mystery. What is the VO?

Every week I enter the weird, disturbing and honest world of "Euphoria" and go along for the ride. I do think Hunter Schafer will take an Emmy home someday. One thing is certain: The pitfalls and perils of teenaged years have not lessened over the years. I call the show weird because there is a certain dream like quality and feel to the program. I feel like it was filmed through the lens of someone who was stoned. Interesting show......kudos to Zendaya too.

mjb52

Indeed there is a second season and we have cooler weather this week so I am waiting for the scorching weather next week before I return to Iceland and the latest mystery. What is the VO?

I started the first episode last night - it's already quite dark! I like it but there are some parts where the actors speak English and they are pretty awkward, it takes me out of the story a bit - I hope there isn't too much of that.

VO = voiceover, I'm not sure if that was the right terminology or not - I just meant that he does some of the voice work for the animated characters.

You're the second person I've seen praise Euphoria recently so now I am tempted to check it out, although I'm not sure I want to be confronted with how hard it might be to be a teenager "these days!" Zendaya's part in The OA wasn't huge but she did a great job with it, so it would be nice to see her in something bigger.

skatingguy

decently
I just finished the new season of Veronica Mars. I thought it was great, really moved the series forward, made it adult while keeping the spirit of the original series and the cameos by characters from the original series were fun to see. I'm looking forward to further seasons.

oleada

I just finished the new season of Veronica Mars. I thought it was great, really moved the series forward, made it adult while keeping the spirit of the original series and the cameos by characters from the original series were fun to see. I'm looking forward to further seasons.
I agreed, except for the last 10 minutes of the last episode.

clairecloutier

Re Veronica Mars, I just accidentally saw a spoiler for what happens at the end of this season, and I am not happy! :mad:

Maybe I will just skip it!!

This is reminding me of when Jane the Virgin killed off Michael. That was the end of the show for me .... It lost something essential without Michael. Logan/Veronica's relationship was one of the big things that always kept me watching VM! :mad:

Yehudi

AITA
I was at Comic con and saw the first episode of Dark Crystal. While it is visually stunning It is a bit confusing at first because they introduce the main characters and you are trying to figure out how it all ties back to the original. Like

Wasn’t the Skeksis the result of the broken crystal. Or is this a different crystal?

And this can’t have a happy ending considering Jen and Kira were more or less what’s left of the Gelfings

Cachoo

I was at Comic con and saw the first episode of Dark Crystal. While it is visually stunning It is a bit confusing at first because they introduce the main characters and you are trying to figure out how it all ties back to the original. Like

Wasn’t the Skeksis the result of the broken crystal. Or is this a different crystal?

And this can’t have a happy ending considering Jen and Kira were more or less what’s left of the Gelfings

OK, you had me at "I was at Comic Con." Hope it was fun. ...

susan6

Anyone watching Years and Years? It's on HBO Now and it's a gut punch. I think it originally aired a couple months ago in the UK and the US is just getting it now, so if I've missed an old thread on it, sorry about that!
Emma Thompson is amazing in this. I just got to the penultimate, "we probably shouldn't call them camps" episode. I had to look up when it was written because the show is scarily prescient. I mean, the US just had the whole "they're absolutely concentration camps" argument and then this show comes on.

skatingguy

decently
Re Veronica Mars, I just accidentally saw a spoiler for what happens at the end of this season, and I am not happy! :mad:

Maybe I will just skip it!!

This is reminding me of when Jane the Virgin killed off Michael. That was the end of the show for me .... It lost something essential without Michael. Logan/Veronica's relationship was one of the big things that always kept me watching VM! :mad:
The season is still worth watching. It was a really enjoyable 8 episodes, and I hope we don't have to wait years to see the next season.

Cachoo

Anyone watching Years and Years? It's on HBO Now and it's a gut punch. I think it originally aired a couple months ago in the UK and the US is just getting it now, so if I've missed an old thread on it, sorry about that!
Emma Thompson is amazing in this. I just got to the penultimate, "we probably shouldn't call them camps" episode. I had to look up when it was written because the show is scarily prescient. I mean, the US just had the whole "they're absolutely concentration camps" argument and then this show
comes on.

Vivian Rook is Donald Trump.

The banality of evil and how it just chips away at life-----plus all of the things we have been warned about coming to fruition and making life miserable---this is horror. Well done too...

Somehow I have Britbox and I've started "Life On Mars." What a strange but enthralling show.

VGThuy

I just saw episode 3 of season 3 of Harlots that just came out today on Hulu and I have to say...

I am so tired of Jessica Findlay-Brown playing my favorite character on a show just to have her unexpectedly die! I loved her! UGH!!!!!!!!!

mjb52

I truly love Katee Sackhoff and she is as great as ever but Another Life is just so unworthy of her. I just started the second episode but I think I have to give it up - it feels like it's written by someone whose only experience of life is as a contestant on Big Brother. It's just so bad. It's not even fun bad and I love this kind of show when it's so bad it's fun so it's not hard to sell me on that. Going back to watch Hilda in French to work on my comprehension and then giving Trapped another shot (too depressing for me the last time I started it).

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
FYI, the fourth (and final :fragile: ) season of Man in the High Castle will debut on Amazon Prime on November 15th. I wish it wasn't gonna be their last season but hopefully they kick ass with this one and make it really awesome. :cheer:

Cachoo

I truly love Katee Sackhoff and she is as great as ever but Another Life is just so unworthy of her. I just started the second episode but I think I have to give it up - it feels like it's written by someone whose only experience of life is as a contestant on Big Brother. It's just so bad. It's not even fun bad and I love this kind of show when it's so bad it's fun so it's not hard to sell me on that. Going back to watch Hilda in French to work on my comprehension and then giving Trapped another shot (too depressing for me the last time I started it).

Yeah I loved her as Starbuck. I have given up on it too and I like your Big Brother analogy particularly if she is Julie Chen trying to manage this ship of young bucks jockeying for power.

Has anyone watched The Breaker Uppers on Netflix? It might have been mentioned before and I missed it but the preview was so funny. I think the film is from New Zealand.

VGThuy

RE: The Handmaid's Tale

I've had my complaints about this season, but today's episode was utterly satisfying. I cannot express how satisfying it was. I expected The Waterfords to get that treatment just because they doing all the cliches to build up to it, but what was going on with June was something I did NOT expect even though I probably should have (but this show loves showing female misery so much that I think it could have gone either way). At first I was getting super annoyed with it and then boom. I was cheering.

With some Orange is the New Black related spoilers:

Also, I needed to see that episode after finishing Orange is the New Black and getting really emotional with the ICE detention center and deportation storylines. This is a show I find can be truly unsubtle and heavy-handed (I mean that whole Lorna flashback with the rock throwing bit was RIDICULOUS) BUT I didn't think it was too heavy-handed with the ICE portrayal, the immigration court portrayal, and the detention center portrayals. It really IS like that. I also think it has to not pull punches to get the message across because we as a country have not stood up to fight against inhumane torture that is happening in these detention centers. And also, this show perfectly captures the attitudes of those in private prison industry. You really have to be a sick **** to do that kind of work.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
So with you guys saying nice things about Dead to Me and with Netflix constantly recommending it to me, Mr. Mac and I binged watched it one night.

We liked it enough to watch all the episodes in one sitting but I do think the director needs to stop foreshadowing so much.

Also Christina Applegate looks a lot like Jennifer Aniston in this. It doesn't help that her character's name is Jen! :lol: Anyway, I found that distracting.

Will probably watch season 2.

Desperado

As an all time fan of Veronica Mars (bought the DVDs, contributed to the Kickstarter, paid to watch the movie in a theatre then bought it) Season 4 (on CraveTV in Canada)...

Broke my heart. I didn’t like the Veronica the show portrayed. She just seemed cruel, with no empathy (this V would’ve left Wallace taped to the poll). Also hated the way they killed Logan, playing on our heart strings by getting them married first, and the subsequent interviews by Rob Thomas just made me felt betrayed as a fan.

oleada

Watching season 3 of Glow. It’s so good. Really loving Betty Gilpin’s Debbie, in particular. Episode 5 is hands down my fave so far.

seeing the girls swap characters was a hoot. “I feel like I’m on acid” 🤣

eta: episode 6 is even better

Last edited:

VGThuy

Watching season 3 of Glow. It’s so good. Really loving Betty Gilpin’s Debbie, in particular. Episode 5 is hands down my fave so far.

seeing the girls swap characters was a hoot. “I feel like I’m on acid” 🤣

eta: episode 6 is even better

GLOW is a show that has shocked me over how good it got from season 1 to season 2, and season 3 is on the same track of being great.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I don't spend much time in this thread, Lord knows I don't need more reasons to procrastinate!

But I just had to share how much I love Derry Girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information