Let's Talk Movies #35 – Sparrows and Panthers and Dinosaurs…Oh My!

Which Movies Might You See? (Multiple Votes Allowed)

• Feb. 16th - Black Panther – Action adventure with Chadwick Boseman, Michael B. Jordan and Lupita Nyo

Votes: 32 60.4%
  • March 2nd - Red Sparrow – Mystery thriller with Jennifer Lawrence, Joel Edgerton and Mary-Louise Pa

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • March 9th - A Wrinkle In Time – Adventure fantasy with Reese Witherspoon, Chris Pine and Oprah Winfr

Votes: 26 49.1%
  • March 16th - Tomb Raider – Action adventure with Alicia Vikander, Walton Goggins and Kristin Scott T

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • March 30th – Ready Player One – Sci-fi adventure with Tye Sheridan, Olivia Cooke and Simon Pegg

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • May 4th - Avengers: Infinity War – Adventure fantasy with nobody famous

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • May 18th - Deadpool 2 – Adventure comedy with Ryan Reynolds, Josh Brolin and T. J. Miller

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • May 25th - Solo: A Star Wars Story – Adventure fantsy with Alden Ehrenreich, Donald Glover and Woody

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • June 8th - Ocean's 8 – Action thriller with Sandra Bullock, Cate Blanchett and Anne Hathaway

Votes: 24 45.3%
  • June 22nd - Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom – Action sci-fi with Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard and

Votes: 22 41.5%

• Total voters

vgerdes

I went to the theater to see Shazam yesterday and was surprised to see an overflowing parking lot at 1230 in the afternoon on a week day. Totally forgot about Avengers. The four of us in the theater seeing Shazam really liked it. I thought Zachary Levi did a great job.

I liked it too. I'd be happy if they made a sequel. :)

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I assume this Endgame movie follows others? So I may not understand it unless I watch the earlier ones. I don’t even know how many there are before the Endgame.

Just checked Netflix. It seems there were three before this one. I remember hearing about only the first. Not sure if I have the patience to sit through three such movies. I could probably handle the first one.

Uh, there are 21 movies before this one. Not just The Avengers, but three apiece for Thor, Iron Man and Captain America, two for Guardians of the Galaxy, one for Captain Marvel and another for Black Panther. I made my husband and stepson watch Infinity War before we saw Endgame today and they were lost anyway.

I floved Endgame.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Uh, there are 21 movies before this one. Not just The Avengers, but three apiece for Thor, Iron Man and Captain America, two for Guardians of the Galaxy, one for Captain Marvel and another for Black Panther. I made my husband and stepson watch Infinity War before we saw Endgame today and they were lost anyway.

I floved Endgame.

I have seen Thor and Black Panther

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I think I've seen about half of the 22. I say about half because I can't remember if I saw the second Thor movie or not. So 11 or 12. Though now that I think about it, I can't remember if I saw Age of Ultron either. Hmm.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I think I've seen about half of the 22. I say about half because I can't remember if I saw the second Thor movie or not. So 11 or 12. Though now that I think about it, I can't remember if I saw Age of Ultron either. Hmm.

They do blend in. I only saw Guardians last week since I grumpily concluded they were integral to the plot.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
I've seen everything but the 2 Ant-Man movies.

There's only one Spider-Man movie that's really necessary for Avengers though. Since they basically started over again with Tom Holland's casting.

I think one could probably give the Hulk movies a pass though. Neither of them are very good and nothing really happens in them that matters to the his character in the MCU. You get pretty much everything you need from his appearances in the Avengers movies and Thor: Ragnarok.

manhn

I have started evey Marvel movie that have been on dvd. Not sure how many I finished. Black Panther, Ant Man, him, that's it.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I'm going through this list and watching all the stuff that I either can't remember very well or didn't see... except The Hulk. Mr. Mac agrees with @Nell411 -- that nothing happens in that movie that matters to understanding Endgame.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
This sounds like a universe- all these movies with different stories. I was never interested in this genre. So I may have missed a few good movies.

watchthis!!

10x10 is a thriller starring Luke Evans and Kelly Reilly, who are the best thing about the movie. The script is good, but the two stars of the movie are brilliant, so they deserve something better to work with than just "good". The direction is strong as well, wish they could have hired a script doctor to strengthen a few of the weaker plot points. Not that the script is bad, it just can't live up to the talent of those making the movie. It's about a man who kidnaps a woman and keeping her in a 10x10 padded cell. There are a number of twists that make you question what you think about both of these characters. In spite of my criticisms, I do recommend this movie. Especially to see two brilliants actors work off one another.

Trailer for 10x10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV1eUEPEPPM

I’ve seen all 22 I believe. :D

I think I've seen them all as well. Saw the Captain America movies out of order, but got caught up eventually.

I've seen everything but the 2 Ant-Man movies.

Those are my favourites!

Jay42

Those are my favourites!
So I was only ever interested in Ant-Man because Edgar Wright was supposed to direct it. When he got fired my interest in the movie went with him. Plus there's already so many of those movies and I needed to be able to skip something especially after all my friends forced me into seeing Dr. Strange when I didn't actively want to (Let Rachel McAdams Time Travel Dammit).

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I saw Endgame last night. Did enjoy it but felt there were a couple of parts that were just excuses for other things (not going to say what as it might give it away).

My favourite bits were around Thor. Love how Chris Hemsworth can take the p*ss out of himself.

I think I have seen most of the movies except The Hulk, recent Spider-Man and an Iron Man.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
We went to see Captain Marvel today so now Mr. Mac has seen them all. I'm going to see everything except The Incredible Hulk before we see Endgame. I'm re-watching The Avengers now (because I don't remember enough to see how it fits into the series).

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
I saw Endgame last night. Did enjoy it but felt there were a couple of parts that were just excuses for other things (not going to say what as it might give it away).

My favourite bits were around Thor. Love how Chris Hemsworth can take the p*ss out of himself.

I think I have seen most of the movies except The Hulk, recent Spider-Man and an Iron Man.
He is my favorite by far, him and Loki. Ragnarok really opened the gate for some great comedy moments for Thor. My kids said Thor is one of the rare trilogy where the movies are actually getting better and better instead of the opposite.

Jay42

Were you more or less angry with your friends after seeing Dr. Strange?
Less angry with them than I was the friend who forced me to see World War Z. I love the book and knew I wouldn't like the movie based off of the trailers which made it very clear they were really just using the book name and ignoring most of what happened in the book (there's some stuff but it's such a hatchet job) so I had decided not to see the movie (also fast zombies are boring and not book accurate), but a friend dragged me to it anyway because he really wanted to see it. I was, and possibly still am, unhappy that I had to sit through that mess of a movie.

In contrast, Dr. Strange has Rachel McAdams, Tilda Swinton (miscast but I do enjoy her in general) and great cinematography. So while I wasn't thrilled at being forced into it, I was able to find something to enjoy.

For the record, World War Z should have been a documentary style miniseries.

vgerdes

Weren't there like...eighteen Hulk movies?

:p

Ha! There were quite a few. But I think they only count one of them as being part of the MCU... the one with Ed Norton as Hulk. They did recast him for The Avengers, but the storyline in "The Incredible Hulk" is still considered to be part of this 'verse.

I’ve seen all 22 I believe. :D

Me too. I've seen pretty much every Marvel movie, ever, except a handful of the animated ones. I've also seen most of the DCU movies. I have a thing for superhero stories, I guess. I love the escapism of it. Comic book science is fun. :)

Last edited:

watchthis!!

I watched Life of the Party tonight and liked it. Melissa McCarthy plays a woman seeing her daughter off to her last year of college and on the drive home, her husband says he wants a divorce. McCarthy ends up going to the same college as her daughter to finish her final year after dropping out decades earlier when she got pregnant. McCarthy's character is sweet and rather subdued compared to many of her more outlandish characters. This was nice to see. So the comedy focusses more on the story and the situations a woman of her age finds herself in surrounded by students half her age. There's quite a good supporting cast, including Julie Bowen, Jacki Weaver, Chris Parnell (SNL) and Maya Rudolph, who I normally liked, but here seems to be in improve mode and it's as if they kept all her worst bits for the final cut of the movie. I still recommend the movie in spite of Rudolph not being showcased well.

Trailer for Life of the Party: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1B1CxmAXLk

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Do I need to see the earlier movies to understand Captain Marvel?

Last night I saw ‘Zero dark thirty’ on dvd. I had seen it in a theatre but had forgotten mist of it, except for the subject. Good movie. I think when it came out, I had gotten so tired of waiting for its release that I didn’t appreciate it the way I did last night. IMO Jessica Chastain should have won the Oscar for this. I was not enamored with Silver linings playbook and I would have placed Chastain ‘s performance over Lawrence’s. I think the very late release really hurt her chances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information