ISU statement on Mariah Bell and Eun soo Lim

Sylvia

TBD
They discussed Mariah again on Good Morning America today. Really the story just highlighted pieces of Mariah’s Instagram post, including the piece about the comments she has received. They provided background explaining the original complaint, showed the video, the ISU statement and felt the need to focus in and show Lim’s bandaid. They also showed part of an interview with Adam saying he doesn’t believe Mariah knew she hit her. If she did, she would have stopped. There wasn’t really anything new, including no statement from USFS or anyone else. They also reported the SP results and completely ignored the FS.
It can be watched here: https://twitter.com/GMA/status/1111972255741808640

ETA:
The first vid I saw was so blurry I could not tell what was happening at all. A day or 2 later I saw the NBC vid which was quite clear.
Only one public video of the incident exists, AFAIK; NBC and the other networks were able improve the quality of the original blurry video.

Last edited:

Ohyes

We’ve called Canadian skating fans whiners for years. Decades really. Nobody complained about that except Canadians. If Korean fans want to vie for the title......

You call us whiners but look at some the American/european P/C fans crying and whining in the Olympic ice dance thread when tessa and scott won over papadakis/cizeron calling scott "stuck up" for celebrating and "glad they were going to retire now" one big whine fest.

or how American fans drone on and on about how nancy kerrigan was "robbed"?

or how russians drone on and on about Slutskaya being robbed of gold?
or how russians drone on about plushenko being robbed?
or how americans drone on and on about Linda fratianne being robbed?

do tell me how have the canadian fans the whiniest for decades?

Last edited:

MsZem

I see the sea
You call us whiners but look at some the American/european P/C fans crying and whining in the Olympic ice dance thread when tessa and scott won over papadakis/cizeron calling scott "stuck up" for celebrating and "glad they were going to retire now" one big whine fest.

This is all very relevant.

Also, you need a thesaurus.

Spun Silver

Wait, you took out the most poetic part, about the "dusty old people"? (Shades of Jason Brown's "Old Friends.") I was wondering where you'd go with that line of thought.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
There was an article in the Daily Mail that pretty much was the same as a Good Morning America piece. Lots of mentions of Nancy and Tonya, no mention of the free skate no mention of the video that shows it was all about nothing. I made a comment that was Pro Mariah Bell and I've received tons of negative arrows on it.

Tavi

Lets not assume they are all Korean.

They aren’t. In the Loop is a relatively new podcast (past year / 18 months) and they have a rotating group of hosts. These three hosts are all US-based.

https://www.inthelopodcast.com/team

I have enjoyed a lot of their podcasts - for example I thought they did an excellent and balanced job with the John Coughlin program - but I agree that these three hosts did not seem objective regarding this story and that they pretty clearly were siding with Eun-Soo. They didn’t seem to have done any research, didn’t seem to understand rink etiquette, and seemed unaware of Mariah’s Instagram post. They also stated that Mariah was clearly closer to the rink edge here than she usually was, implying with no proof that she had changed the pattern on purpose. I was pretty surprised at the lack of objectivity, and hope they realize sooner rather than later that it was wrong.

Spun Silver

One of the team that did this podcast is South Korean (Gina).
They aren’t. In the Loop is a relatively new podcast (past year / 18 months) and they have a rotating group of hosts. These three hosts are all US-based.

I have enjoyed a lot of their podcasts - for example I thought they did an excellent and balanced job with the John Coughlin program - but I agree that these three hosts did not seem objective regarding this story and that they pretty clearly were siding with Eun-Soo. They didn’t seem to have done any research, didn’t seem to understand rink etiquette, and seemed unaware of Mariah’s Instagram post. They also stated that Mariah was clearly closer to the rink edge here than she usually was, implying with no proof that she had changed the pattern on purpose. I was pretty surprised at the lack of objectivity, and hope they realize sooner rather than later that it was wrong.

hoptoad

I'm really curious to see whether Eun-Soo remains with Raf for next season. I think Mariah back home training for WTT in a few weeks.

I don't think Eun-Soo has any events left to prepare for this season. Does anyone know where she is now? On vacation with family, on tour somewhere, back in CA? Did she have a family member living with her in CA? She's a beautiful skater, but I can't see this incident helping her future relationships with coaches, rinks, training mates.

CaliSteve

I'm really curious to see whether Eun-Soo remains with Raf for next season. I think Mariah back home training for WTT in a few weeks.

I don't think Eun-Soo has any events left to prepare for this season. Does anyone know where she is now? On vacation with family, on tour somewhere, back in CA? Did she have a family member living with her in CA? She's a beautiful skater, but I can't see this incident helping her future relationships with coaches, rinks, training mates.

I agree that Eunsoo is a beautiful skater with so much potential.

I believe Eunsoo lives with her mother in California.

Tavi

One of the team that did this podcast is South Korean (Gina).

Sorry, I missed that - I thought the hosts were Kat, Kite, and Yogeeta and didn’t see Gina.

I have to say that I found some of the language quite inflammatory - for example, they said twice that Mariah “hit” Eun-Soo. I also thought they were wrong in saying that the level of outrage and actions taken was the same on both sides. That pretty clearly wasn’t true.

Spun Silver

I'm really curious to know if this is a successful PR strategy for her in Korea, since many here claim that this kind of thing is part of ATS's playbook. So weird.

CaliSteve

My reply was in response too:

The rabid Korean bots are now harassing Raf on the team_raf Instagram page - sick!

CaliSteve

I'm really curious to know if this is a successful PR strategy for her in Korea, since many here claim that this kind of thing is part of ATS's playbook. So weird.

Time will tell. She did get alot of press and notoriety for someone that is currently Korea's number two skater.

RoseRed

I find that some of the hosts they have can be good and objective, and others can be pretty biased and overly harsh on skaters that they personally don't like. I prefer the women who do Flutzes and Waxels.

meer

In the Loop pretty much hates American skaters unless you are Jason Brown because he's part of the holy TCC now. They are beyond biased in pretty much everything they say. Not shocking they ran with Mariah being an evil stabber narrative. They now finally have reason to "cancel" her.

It has nothing to do with one being Korean though. They are just always that hateful unless you are one of their chosen favs.

Tinami Amori

I can add more situations to the "was robbed" list, from Russian side and etc..

But the issue here is not a fan war about placements/results. The issues here are: circumstances in a practice collision that resulted in an injury, bullying, media coverage, physical treats, reactions and over-reactions.

In The Loop podcast spoke about the incident. They bought into ATS BS. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoATpZy_00w
thanks. interesting.

Main problem for me in their discussion about Lim/Bell incident is not their views of how the accident happened. It very much bothers me how they address the supposed "bullying". One girl makes a (supposedly) "cold or uncomfortable (Lim) environment at the rink" synonymous with "bullying", hinting how a more friendly environment should be, pretty much, forced upon the rink's old timers, just because Lim is uncomfortable.

"Friendliness and niceness" can not be made mandatory or demanded. Basic civil behavior is always required, but you can not force people to create "a friendly environment", respectful yes, friendly is optional. People have a righ to be "cold" to others, but not "rude or offensive".

Last edited:

VGThuy

In the Loop pretty much hates American skaters unless you are Jason Brown because he's part of the holy TCC now. They are beyond biased in pretty much everything they say. Not shocking they ran with Mariah being an evil stabber narrative. They now finally have reason to "cancel" her.

It has nothing to do with one being Korean though. They are just always that hateful unless you are one of their chosen favs.

Yeah, the Twitter/Tumblr crowd is VERY cliquish about who is acceptable and who isn't. They salivate at the thought of "cancelling" a skater because it usually conveniently coincides with hating a skater they already disliked for various reasons. It's a major part of fan culture overall (outside of skating as well). Fans feel really entitled to access and knowing public figures and if the public figure is uber friendly and looks like a very nice person, then they'll love them forever and want to protect them hate those who are in that figure's way.

Tavi

Hmm. Not sure I agree. Even leaving aside the Mariah commentary, I definitely didn’t enjoy this one, but I have liked others they’ve done and (as an American) haven’t been conscious of an anti-American bias. There was a lot of wuzrobbing on this particular episode which made it hard to listen to, but it didn’t strike me as anti-American, exactly.

ETA @RoseRed I also like the Flutzes cast. And I like Fran, too, who I just discovered - I believe she’s Italian but her English is amazing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information