From Russia with Love [#31]: Winter to Spring 2019

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
The sport really needs to consider some way that Grand Prix final medalists or medalists from the previous World Championships or Olympics can get direct entry to the short program at Worlds in addition to the maximum number of skaters their country is sending. Only the maximum number from that country can proceed to the free skate. So if there's four skaters from Russia and they qualified three spots from the previous year, the highest three Russian finishers in the short program go to the free skate & the fourth place Russian is done.

The sport cannot rest on its laurels by limiting the number of stars a country can have. Skaters who are successful on the Grand Prix circuit and the prior World Championships deserve to make it to Worlds.

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
You're right, the Russian Fed seems to prefer to go with the most recent result - e.g. R/T won a silver on the GP and were 2nd at Nationals in 2010/11 compared to I/K's GP bronze and 3rd at Nationals, but I/K went to Worlds after beating R/T at Euros. Very similar to last year where Aliev had a mediocre GP season and was 3rd at Nationals, but went to the Olympics over Samarin after beating him at Euros even though Samarin had been pretty successful at his GPs.
Hot hand theory.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I have no doubt in my mind now that there were some crafty workings going on with the judging panel at the Russian Cup and that some, if not all of them, knew exactly which scores they needed to give to make Medvedeva end up on top even if it was marginal.

I realize it was a domestic Russian competition, but the PCS was outrageous for a program that was skated through almost entirely to focus on elements, and even the element GOE- as an example, in no world is Medvedeva’s Lutz anywhere near Tuktamysheva’s.

I stand by my idea that I wanted Medvedeva to sit out the rest of the season and come back completely confident in her skating next year. It’s missing in a big way for me right now, and I know it has everything to do with her trying to work on improving her technique and her overall quality.

On the other hand, I hope this doesn’t suck all the energy out of Tuktamysheva. I know that she’s posted that it will only make her stronger, and I hope we actually see that outcome.

kwanatic

As great as Liza T has been this season I think it's fair to say the RusFed has been anxiously awaiting the smallest sign that Evgenia is back on track. Her win at the Cup event, though it could easily be contested, was all of the fuel they needed to get her back out there.

Liza is great but it's clear she's not nearly as liked or respected as Evgenia is. I mean 19 out of 27 votes went to Evgenia...with good reason based on her competitive history. However, I don't know if that was the best choice. I definitely feel like Liza earned her spot this year. Evgenia struggled at the beginning of the season but has been better over her past two competitions, though not where she used to be. She has a lot of pressure on her coming into this competition. I really hope the old Evgenia is back and she'll be able to handle it.

Dobre

The sport cannot rest on its laurels by limiting the number of stars a country can have. Skaters who are successful on the Grand Prix circuit and the prior World Championships deserve to make it to Worlds.

There are repercussions down the line for this type of decision-making. Those athletes push down the rest of the field at Worlds. You have a different top ten earning multiple spots for their country and mandatory berths on the GP. You make it harder for athletes from less powerful countries and less powerful federations to break through & make a statement on the international scene. You give host federations even more reason to play politics with GP assignments. You push down the cut off for who can qualify for the free skate, and you give skaters from less powerful countries less incentive to stay in the sport and keep trying to break boundaries. I'm fine with three athletes per country. I would not be fine with less. I do think there should be more than one way to be able to earn three spots at Worlds, as the current system is inadequate for acknowledging the possibility of top athletes coming up from juniors and/or being injured during a qualifying season.

Polaris

I have no doubt in my mind now that there were some crafty workings going on with the judging panel at the Russian Cup and that some, if not all of them, knew exactly which scores they needed to give to make Medvedeva end up on top even if it was marginal.

I realize it was a domestic Russian competition, but the PCS was outrageous for a program that was skated through almost entirely to focus on elements, and even the element GOE- as an example, in no world is Medvedeva’s Lutz anywhere near Tuktamysheva’s.

PCS for Tukt was outrageous as well, so they were both equally overscored.

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
Two triples!!!

Nineteen out of twenty-seven!!!

Russian judges creating a secret society to brazenly contravene objective Rules on how PCS should be scored in order to give Medvedeva exactly 1.71 total points over Tuktamysheva to convince nineteen judges to choose her along with the skater who only has two triples and the skater with the Burlesque program that has five shimmies, four transitions, three selfies, and one paparazzo pose that could be mistaken for a transition even though judges should know better if they are being held to the Rules of PCS scoring!!!!!

The only thing I'm shocked and scandalized by here is that post 1,131 by Casey Edwards doesn't have any exclamation marks.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Two triples!!!

Nineteen out of twenty-seven!!!

Russian judges creating a secret society to brazenly contravene objective Rules on how PCS should be scored in order to give Medvedeva exactly 1.71 total points over Tuktamysheva to convince nineteen judges to choose her along with the skater who only has two triples and the skater with the Burlesque program that has five shimmies, four transitions, three selfies, and one paparazzo pose that could be mistaken for a transition even though judges should know better if they are being held to the Rules of PCS scoring!!!!!

The only thing I'm shocked and scandalized by here is that post 1,131 by Casey Edwards doesn't have any exclamation marks.

Sofia won the Europeans. That was international judging, not RSF. So you need to take back your statement about her skating.

feraina

Wow, not what I expected. I didn’t know she still has so many backers on the coaching council.i wonder if it’s partly the political power of CSKA, partly that Mishin already has Sofia on the team, and partly that Tutberidze has been just as abrasive with other coaches as she has been with her former students, and they see this as a way to get back at her. Kind of like her comment on who her favorite skater is: you know, that guy... who did... Brian Boitano. :p
I’m absolutely sure having Med on the team irritates her way more than having Tut.

Not to mention that Med is more likely to beat Zag than Tut, IMHO, because Tut’s low PCS means even one small mistake would take her out of contention. Whereas Med has shown that she can pull in big scores in the FS even with a mistake - and now she finally seems to have gotten on top of the SP.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Here is my interpretation of this weird decision. I may be right or wrong. We will never know.

The RSF got nervous when they saw Zagitova struggling this season, particularly the last two competitions where there was no Japanese challenger. However, they didn’t want to leave off the team the reigning OGM and GPF silver medalist, mainly because it will look bad (though they had no problem leaving off the 2016 team the reigning world champion Liza).

Remember that last year when Med had to miss the nationals due to injury, the RSF immediately started promoting Zagitova and she started getting high marks. It hurt Med in the end but the RSF got their OGM.

They do believe in the mental toughness of Medvedeva, in spite of her poor showing in almost all her competitions this season. They believe in her more than they do in Zagitova.

They don’t have that level of confidence in Tuk. She has had an up and down career. She was solid this season, but then pneumonia struck and all their doubts rushed back in. She skated well enough at the Russia cup final to prove that she was back, but it was too late because the RSF had already made the decision to send Med to worlds. The competition was a farce. It did not matter that Liza landed a clean triple axel, the only weapon that is strong enough to compete against the Japanese ladies. I suspect it was too late when she went down with pneumonia and had to miss the nationals. The RSF political machine had already started the process to replace her, and Med was the only strong candidate for that. I see the parallels of Med-Zag in the Olympic season.

Medvedeva’s marks at the Cup were too high. I believe that the RSF politicking machine will put their capital in Medvedeva rather than in Zagitova. Samudarova is a forgotten entity at this point. She could skate well at worlds but will be held down to make room for the Olympic silver medalist.

It is possible that Med will skate well enough to earn a medal at worlds and all will be forgiven, but the way this whole thing was handled, disgusts me. At this point I really hate the RSF, but then it has happened before and it will happen again. Fairness is never important to them. Only medals are.

Cherub721

YEAH!
I almost always see the logic in the Russian federation team selections, even when they're controversial or not my preference, but this is a really tough one to swallow. I just wish Liza had gotten it done at the final. She was in a position where any small mistake was going to kill her chances. I wonder if she should have just skipped the event and gone to universiade to avoid that head to head loss. And what happens now if she skates clean with 3a there?

annie_mg

I feel bad for Tuk, but I also feel bad for Med, cause she's going to get a lot of backlash, and she probably hasn't asked for any of it. I hope she goes to Worlds and skates with her heart not thinking about medals, cause it was really missing last week. Poor Tuk. Will she get another chance in her career?

Tinami Amori

In a nut-shell, it's one blogger's request to moderate the nastiness of other bloggers... :D

There is a youtube blogger, E. Rodina, she is a "mad-Med-fan", and there is not "control button" on her.
She had few comments on her site like "smash Zagitova's face", "she is Tartar, same as Chechens, they all muslims/same religion, same language, and all alike", and other "calls for agression" against Zagitova (some thinly veiled, etc).

One blogger called her on it, asking the "authorities" to look into "hate crime" and "racial/ethnic hate".
That blogger wrote an article in his blog. That blog got filled with x10 nastiness. It transferred to other blogs. All these blogs got closed/articles deleted.

The article you're showing, is a request to "bring back the blog that addresses elimination of hate speeches" which the blogger feels was unfairly closed down with the rest of the bunch... :D

(my advise? do. not. waist. too. much. of. your. time. on sports.ru..... few minutes for fun is ok, but not more..:lol:)

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I am ok with this choice because Med has higher scoring potential IMHO. Tut has the 3X but when you see her live she is slow and and her skating skills & artistry not quite Med level. Having said that I do think Tut deserved to go more based on her season and likely would be if she had not been sick.

kwanatic

I feel bad for Tuk, but I also feel bad for Med, cause she's going to get a lot of backlash, and she probably hasn't asked for any of it. I hope she goes to Worlds and skates with her heart not thinking about medals, cause it was really missing last week. Poor Tuk. Will she get another chance in her career?

Agreed. I do think Liza earned her spot over Evgenia but I understand the reasoning behind the RSF's decision to pick Evgenia, even though I don't agree with it. It's politics and we all know the RSF are masters of politicking.

It's possible this could be the last time Evgenia, Alina or Liza will have a shot at worlds for a while. With Alexandra, Alena and Anna entering the field next year, and considering the 3 of them swept the podium while ineligible to even compete at senior worlds this year, there's a very good chance they could sweep the podium again and be named to the world team over all of the veteran seniors next year. That might be why the RSF decided to give Evgenia a shot at worlds this year. She's the most successful skater of the post-Sochi field of ladies...Maybe they wanted her to have the chance to add one more medal to her stash before Triple A takes over next year.

Tinami Amori

This may be Evgenia's (and Alina's) last appearance at World's. Either one could end up off the podium. I don't think Evgenia deserves to be there but I think she had a lot a politicking behind her--Tarasova in particular.

Well.... it is certainly more peaceful here on FSU than "out there in virtual Russia".... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: and! no petitions!

This is what I gathered so far, from people who in the past been pretty accurate about what is taking place “on the inside”.

- the main “sponsor” who wanted Med instead of Tuk is “Russian Channel #1”. They have Med on the contract, and are the ones who are contributing financially to her stay in Canada.

-their (Ch 1) main concern is “ratings” for the Worlds as well as “skating events” in general, and Zag/Med are the two biggest attractions as far as they are concerned.

- Tarasova is also on their contract, as a commentator and TV Ice Shows host/judge. Tarasova was/is the spokesperson for their interests + she has her own personal agenda.

- Russian Federation is also a benefactor of “Russian Channel #1” in several aspects. Tarasova insisted that they realize it by using the Ch#1 authority and her own methods.

- it is said that the “vote” took place over the phone, not in person. It was 19 to 7 in favor of Med + 1 abstained. That “one” is said to be Tutberidze. (she is practical and needs 3 quotas for next season and does not need any associations with “politics” at present).

The other issues that may have affected the votes, other than Ch#1 sponsorship and TAT’s influence:

- Moscow vs. St. Perersburg FS clubs rivalry and loyalty. It’s always there. To what extend it plays a role in the selection is not determined. Members of the Council do vote for “their own” sometimes.

- Some members are directly interested in “highest results/3 quotas”. No games.

- Zag/Med together is an “Olympic Winning Block” from last year. It is a matter of “image” – here come the “power duo” vs. “a motley crew selected in a chaotic manner”.

- And as always, strictly personal interests, in line with “friend of an enemy”, “enemy of an enemy”, “enemy of a friend” etc., plus incentives promised if one votes a certain way.

- The Russian Cup Final results were 90%+?? predetermined (if no major disasters were to take place). Tarasova stood next to the judges’ panel while Med skated and while not talking to them directly, made very loud comments and technical remarks (that was eye-witnessed by several people).

- Some issues in Tuk’s “off the ice behavior and image” did not contribute to her “athletic image” and potentially reduced some council members’ level of confidence in her (consciously or subconsciously is not known).

- Few council members stated to the press who they voted for, but most did not (as of yet).

Stay tuned.... the show may not yet be over!..:puppet: .... it's Russia... :nopryde:

Tinami Amori

If one wants some fun reading, it is in russian, but google-translates well.... Here Liza's "sex advises" to people... :lol:

"Sex is better than figure skating"
https://sport.rambler.ru/figureskating/41312277-seks-luchshe-kataniya/

"Tuktamysheva teaches how many times to have sex during the week".
https://tvzvezda.ru/news/sport/content/201902071506-hti8.htm

"Tuktamysheva - having sex before the competition"

... if she does not skate in competition next year, she still might have a career... in some field of expertise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBXgcF4rpno

(at least she did not make a two-part film "Making the La-La-Land Mile High Club")

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
If one wants some fun reading, it is in russian, but google-translates well.... Here Liza's "sex advises" to people... :lol:

"Sex is better than figure skating"
https://sport.rambler.ru/figureskating/41312277-seks-luchshe-kataniya/

"Tuktamysheva teaches how many times to have sex during the week".

"Tuktamysheva - having sex before the competition"

... if she does not skate in competition next year, she still might have a career... in some field of expertise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBXgcF4rpno

(at least she did not make a two-part film "Making the La-La-Land Mile High Club")
I am wondering if this talk about sex earned her some negative points?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information