Best pairs programs of all time

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Canada's Barbara Underhill & Paul Martini were strong gold medal contenders heading into the 1984 Sarajevo Olympics. Tragedy struck when Barbara slipped and fell during the required change foot sit spin in the short program, knocking Paul over with her. A few weeks later while preparing for the world championships, nothing seemed to be working. They were on the verge of packing it all in when Brian Orser visited their rink and suggested to Barbara she try her old skates. His idea worked, and the magic came flying back.

Their brilliant free skate inspires me to this day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReTmpfiimoc

Taso

Gordeeva & Grinkov - 1995 Challenge of Champions Skating to Verdi's Requiem. The middle section, to the 'Lacrimosa' movement, is their best skating of all time IMO. Sometimes I felt like their programs weren't choreographed with much musical phrasing (and now that I've read Zueva's interviews about her choreography process I get why - her process makes no sense to me at all) and that section is phrased really, really nicely.

Taso

I really prefer death spirals and lifts under IJS, as they are held for longer.

EYS. Under IJS I like the variety of exists and entrances more, but the impact is diminished with the constant change amidst the element and little rest for a position to really log in your mind the same way.

Also these threads about old pairs and dance are the only times I really come alive as a poster, and it's been like this for a dozen years or so. Meh

Japanfan

EYS. Under IJS I like the variety of exists and entrances more, but the impact is diminished with the constant change amidst the element and little rest for a position to really log in your mind the same way.

I don't find that the older, quicker lifts and death spirals 'log in' or make much of an impression TBH.

But I do agree with you that lifts are too busy these days - although some of the positions the ladies strike are rather amazing.

The IJS emphasis on difficulty/complexity has meant a lack of simple movements/elements done exceptionally well.

Last edited:

starrynight

I really prefer death spirals and lifts under IJS, as they are held for longer.

I agree. Under the old system some of the pairs men looked like they were about to have a stroke just pressing up a tiny little lady into a hand to hand one position lift that lasted about 2 seconds lol. *heave* *up* *lady quickly raises one hand* *down* *gasp for air*

Taso

I don't find that the older, quicker lifts and death spirals 'log in' or make much of an impression TBH.

But I do agree with you that lifts are too busy these days - although some of the positions the ladies strike are rather amazing.

The IJS emphasis on difficulty/complexity has mean a lack of simple movements/elements done exceptionally well.

Yeah - like I don't really yearn for them to go back to looking this way, but I do like moments where it does 'log in' and it's just harder to do that. I do agree some of the positions the current girls strike are really amazing - I'd like to see them in their glory with a bit more focus.

I also think IJS can make it harder to follow musical phrasing, but good skaters have developed and found their way through. I have to say though the first few years of IJS were truly, truly painful to me though for that reason primarily :scream: But it's gotten better. I've watched more this last quadrennial than the previous two - and I think it answers some of my own observation about why I don't post as much (also I will never, never be able to get interested in a conversation about levels. If it hasn't happened 16 years into this system it just never will be interesting to me)

oleada

Wanna throw Savchenko/Massot’s Olympic FS into the mix (since it’s a year since their win!). Gorgeous elegant program, executed to perfection with so much emotion. The lifts, twist and throws were all so big. Plus, we all knew they needed a perfect skate to have a chance to win after his error in the short, and it being her 5th attempt to get gold. What a moment that was.

Last edited:

paskatefan

Shen & Zhao - Turnadot -2003 Worlds (Hey, I was taken with Shen & Zhao ever since they skated their "Mt. Olympus" program in 1998!)
G&G - Moonlight Sonata
M&D - Liebestraum
Aliona & Bruno 2018 Olympics & Worlds

Last edited:

avivadawn

Savchenko/Massot LP 2018 Olympics or Worlds. You asked for older programs, but I just could not let this thread go by without mentioning this.

I’m glad that someone up thread mentioned Lyons/Wells as they were my favorite American pair in the mid 90s and so underrated.

nguyhm

I love all of Berezhnaya & Sikhatulidze's programs and the most memorable ones have been mentioned in previous posts. This one was also amazing considering them winning the World Championship a little over a year after Elena's near death accident.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOKy2SppTxM
Their lifts were such "revolutionary" at the time - results of Moskvina's genious creativity. She was behind the lifts and choreography for V&V, M&D and B&S.
And let's not forget Bechke & Petrov's remarkable LP at 1992 Olympics in Albertville.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWaSkMn25Kw

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Here it is! Really it's just how electric this skate is

I really am a fan of yesteryear skating... I love the purity, the lines.... even a simple SBS spin back then was SO much better..... One position can be so evenly matched, so nice to look at... versus 14 positions of today crammed into 12 seconds... bleh.....

Such a wonderful program.

Now, speaking of Mishkutenok & Dmitriev reallness... "Nostalgia" REALLY is such a GORG program... I love every detail and every second of this briefly used program...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhz3b_tA9ps

Now take a look at the following GEM... Brasseur & Eisler.. "Welcome To My World" this was done in 95 and I still think of it all the time.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_ZFgQsqFfE

^^^ God, I love this program.. and the arena is packed!!!

I love these 2 programs for how different they are.

Last edited:

deegee

I agree with Michalle et al about Liebestraum!!!

I love Shen and Zhao's LP Meditation from Thaïs at 2007 Worlds. It's not perfect and they may have done it better but it was a moving performance that capped a glorious season for them. That was the one where Hongbo got down on his knees to propose on the ice after their skate, but he got rattled or something when she kneeled down too, and I think it was months before he tried again. :lol:
omg, i forgot about the double-kneel :lol::lol::lol: good ol' hongbo! i love seeing him in the k&c now with his students. what a legacy!

Spiralgraph

I also think M/D's Liebestraum is the epitome of pair skating. Beautiful, sublime and significantly better than any other program that year. That's one of the programs I rewatch often. For sentimental reasons I also love Tai and Randy's 1979 world championships program. I like other progams but other posters mentioned them first. :40beers:

liv

I particularly loved G/Gs 1988 Olympics programs. Everyone talks about Moonlight Sonata, but in Calgary 1988 they were perfect and no one was close. She was sick at Worlds that year and fell in their long program, but still managed a silver.

I loved their short programs because their speed and unison was amazing compared to every other team, even as young teenagers. In 1986 it was a cute piano number, in 1987 another piano number, 1988 the Carmen number, and 1989 Barber of Seville, my favourite sp from them.

B/S 2002 Olympic short was also beyond amazing.

Kovarikova/Novotny- their original sp to Accademia, which they used for a few years around 1991 was a very good short program too. They were always better sp skaters than lp skaters...

clairecloutier

I guess I'm the only one but I'm actually a bigger fan of B/S's 2002 LP ("Meditations from Thais") than the "Lady Caliph" SP. Although, they're both great. I also love S/P's Love Story. :p

Surprised no one has mentioned Savchenko/Szolkowy's Pink Panther LP yet? (Or did I miss it?) Definitely one of the most memorable pairs programs ever, for me anyway. S/S had so many great programs.

A lot of people have mentioned Gordeeva/Grinkov's Olympic LPs (they're my own favorite pairs LPs). I also really loved G/G's 1994 Olympic flamenco SP. It showed off their speed and unison brilliantly.

Japanfan

Yeah - like I don't really yearn for them to go back to looking this way, but I do like moments where it does 'log in' and it's just harder to do that. I do agree some of the positions the current girls strike are really amazing - I'd like to see them in their glory with a bit more focus.

I digress, but am reminded that I am having trouble getting used to the shorter programs this season. It seems that something is missing, and that programs don't build to a climax as well as they used to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information