Who is the first female skater in the senior division to do the double axel/ triple toe combination sucessfully?

Seerek

I'd be curious how many men were doing the combination, if any, up to that point in 1980 when Elaine completed it.

floskate

Vacant
I'd be curious how many men were doing the combination, if any, up to that point in 1980 when Elaine completed it.

Good point. I'd need to go watch some footage because I can't off the top of my head think of anyone! Combinations just weren't such a big deal back then other than in the SP. The first 3-3 (3t3t) wasn't done until Dortmund in 1980 and that was by Gzregorz Filipowski who was 13 at the time!

floskate

Vacant
Isn't Vodorezova now the coach Buyanova? Her talent was amazing as a teen.

The very same and yes she was super talented. At the 1977 Worlds in Tokyo it was 13 year old Vodorezova who won the free skate ahead of Fratianne and all the rest. But after '78 it becomes mysterious. She was entered for comps then withdrawn for the next couple of years. It was 1982 before she properly re-emerged and by that time she had grown and the jumps had disappeared, although she did keep her amazing double axel. Her trainer Stanislav Zhuk reminds me of Tutberidze in some ways. His biggest successes came when the female skaters were child size. Once they grew - Vodorezova, Cherkasova, Pestova, Pershina - not so much. His last high profile successful female was a 1985/86 sized Ekaterina Gordeeva.

I'm rambling sorry...just occurred to me and JMO.

LarrySK8

Did Zhuk kind of invent the "one and a half" style pair teams? The taller, stronger man with a much shorter, lighter girl/woman? And didn't he coach Rodnina, who was shorter and lighter than her second partner Zaitzev? I recall Pestova and Leonovich, who later coached G&G in the Zhuk style after they finished with Zhuk (or he retired), who resembled G&G with a 4twist, a circular lift into throw double axel and great sbs double axels.

gkelly

The very same and yes she was super talented. At the 1977 Worlds in Tokyo it was 13 year old Vodorezova who won the free skate ahead of Fratianne and all the rest. But after '78 it becomes mysterious. She was entered for comps then withdrawn for the next couple of years.

Didn't she suffer from juvenile arthritis during those years? Fortunately, she was able to return to competition a few years later.

See Wikipedia.

floskate

Vacant
Didn't she suffer from juvenile arthritis during those years? Fortunately, she was able to return to competition a few years later.

See Wikipedia.
Yep that was the explanation for her withdrawals back then. Her only actual competitive major international appearance between 1978 and 1982 was 1980 Worlds where she competed the figures (11th) and SP (15th) before being withdrawn. I have that SP on tape and she had grown a lot. Interestingly if you just look at her results it appears that she was much more successful upon her return (and clearly her figures benefited from her maturity) but for me at least, she was never the same skater.

Last edited:

floskate

Vacant
Did Zhuk kind of invent the "one and a half" style pair teams? The taller, stronger man with a much shorter, lighter girl/woman? And didn't he coach Rodnina, who was shorter and lighter than her second partner Zaitzev? I recall Pestova and Leonovich, who later coached G&G in the Zhuk style after they finished with Zhuk (or he retired), who resembled G&G with a 4twist, a circular lift into throw double axel and great sbs double axels.

Yes pretty much. Rodnina as you say was naturally very small (5ft) but Zaitsev who was only an inch taller than Alexei Ulanov, yet the R&Z pairing was SO much more powerful and dynamic. With Ulanov a lot of her wins were perhaps questionable - on more than one occasion Smirnova & Suraikin out-skated them - but with Zaitsev she really became unbeatable. Then they left Zhuk to work with Tarasova in 1974 and developed their artistry to compliment their power. Zhuk was left to try and recreate something to rival it and kept pairing tiny girls with grown men so they could try harder and harder tricks like sbs triple toes, quad twists, triple axel twists and complex lifts. It's like he had a blue print; all these pairs - C&S, P&L, P&A and even early G&G had the exact same - flawless - technique. Except the technique didn't work so well once the girls grew.

meggonzo

Banned Member
Zhuk was left to try and recreate something to rival it and kept pairing tiny girls with grown men so they could try harder and harder tricks like sbs triple toes, quad twists, triple axel twists and complex lifts

What is a triple axel twist?

floskate

Vacant
What is a triple axel twist?

It's a twist lift but done from an axel entry rather than a lutz entry which is what we always see nowadays. It used to be called an axel catch.

Here is Pestova & Leonovich doing a pretty clean triple axel twist in 1979:
https://youtu.be/SGqlzcXumz0?t=223

Rodnina & Zaitsev double axel version of the same element:
https://youtu.be/fAXHMKUVewc?t=449

The last pair to use this twist lift that I can remember was Valova & Vassiliev here in 1988:
https://youtu.be/DWgHWLhrjMs?t=180

Can anyone else think of a more recent pair?

Taso

It's a twist lift but done from an axel entry rather than a lutz entry which is what we always see nowadays. It used to be called an axel catch.

Here is Pestova & Leonovich doing a pretty clean triple axel twist in 1979:
https://youtu.be/SGqlzcXumz0?t=223

Rodnina & Zaitsev double axel version of the same element:
https://youtu.be/fAXHMKUVewc?t=449

The last pair to use this twist lift that I can remember was Valova & Vassiliev here in 1988:
https://youtu.be/DWgHWLhrjMs?t=180

Can anyone else think of a more recent pair?

Kvitchenko & Kadyrkaev, technically, since they went to 1989. I can't think of someone past them?

floskate

Vacant

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information