Netflix/Prime/Hulu Discoveries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Marie Kondo. She lit a fire under my butt and now Im facing my hoarding issues. If I stick to the plan I should be done by Worlds.
I watched the first episode because I have been reading and seeing so much about it. Including articles talking about what to do with the stuff that people are trying to get rid of which is becoming a problem.

I quite enjoyed it. She is very nice and respectful of people which is a nice change from the way some shows operate. I think I already do quite a bit of the stuff she suggests like putting things in boxes and I did a massive clean out before I moved interstate. I will keep watching though to see if there are any further tips I can pick up.

mjb52

I liked the third season of Travelers (on netflix) a lot! It resolved in a way that honestly surprised me(ish), tied things up satisfyingly, but did leave things open if they want to do a fourth season. I'm quite torn - I think it's a good way to end but I like the cast a lot so I would miss them if there's nothing more.

jeffisjeff

I liked the third season of Travelers (on netflix) a lot! It resolved in a way that honestly surprised me(ish), tied things up satisfyingly, but did leave things open if they want to do a fourth season. I'm quite torn - I think it's a good way to end but I like the cast a lot so I would miss them if there's nothing more.

I just saw this:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/netflix-cancels-eric-mccormack-drama-205542217.html

I agree that it was a good ending for the 3rd season, but I am going to miss the show (especially David!). For the finale, I was confused by this - am I missing something?

The scene with David and Marci on the bus, where she is going to her new job. How is she not back to the old impaired Marci?

LeafOnTheWind

The scene with David and Marci on the bus, where she is going to her new job. How is she not back to the old impaired Marci?

The original Marci was a nurse at the institution she was admitted to after she was impaired. Traveler #1 bought that hospital and experimented on her then turned over the staff and left her there as a patient. In the new/original timeline she was never impaired because they stopped Traveler #1.

VGThuy

Finally saw the last episode of Kimmy Schmidt. I loved the first half of season 4 but the second half wasn't as good. It's sort a bummer that the show ended on that note. Felt it could have been a lot better.

jeffisjeff

The original Marci was a nurse at the institution she was admitted to after she was impaired. Traveler #1 bought that hospital and experimented on her then turned over the staff and left her there as a patient. In the new/original timeline she was never impaired because they stopped Traveler #1.

Thank you! I knew about what happened in the original timeline, but somehow forgot about it. It all makes so much more sense now.

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
Finally saw the last episode of Kimmy Schmidt. I loved the first half of season 4 but the second half wasn't as good. It's sort a bummer that the show ended on that note. Felt it could have been a lot better.
Yeah, I felt a bit deflated afterwards. I’ll give it a re-watch in a few weeks or so to see if that feeling persists. The pacing was really rushed in the last two episodes to wrap up storylines. I don’t know if it was poor planning or unforeseen circumstances with being canceled?

mjb52

I saw an article about travelers being cancelled literally in the first tab I opened after that post! I thought about coming back to edit it to mention that but never did. I'm sad but I do think the way they finished up was so solid that in a way it was the perfect place to stop.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
I love Tagomi, but I get a bit bored with some of his scenes with extraneous characters. It still throws me off all the time to see DJ Qualls in a dramatic role. I can't believe he's 40 (he still looks like 12)

Maybe they wanted to show another side of the 'gay lifestyle'? Since Ed was getting to live in the open, we got to see the persecution side? Or maybe they just needed a tie-in for the propaganda storyline (I felt so bad for the Smiths for having Thomas turned into a Nazi symbol.)

Finished the season. And wow, did they make me look forward to season 4!!! The season started with a whimper but holy hell did it go out with a bang
So Juliana is now a traveller? And Helen left John? And Himmler may be dead (will John become the new Führer?)
I won't be surprised if Juliana meets Frank and Joe in the next world. I was EXTREMELY surprised they killed off both of her love interests, especially since they spent 2.5 seasons kind of building up Julianna/Joe, just to have him become pure evil and for her to kill him right after they start hooking up. I never liked Frank, though.
I'm glad they didn't (blatantly) make her and Wyatt/Liam into a couple. I like him!
And I really felt for John this season.

So I just finished binging Man in the High Castle and I completely agree with you about looking forward to season four! Wow, so many twists and turns that I didn't see coming and a whole lot of stuff that made me insanely uncomfortable. I'll spoiler code my thoughts for anyone who hasn't watched and still wants to (and yes, I had to go back and find this post so I could quote it tonight, LOL).

OK, so I was a fan of Joe before he became a massive Nazi tool so I wasn't too upset that he ended up dead. Juliana has gotten more and more badass as the series has gone on and I actually LOVE it. She doesn't take any crap anymore and that makes her very appealing to watch, especially seeing how far she's come in three seasons! I cannot wait to see where she went when she jumped and what she experiences in the other timeline (if that's in fact where she went....we don't really know yet). I alternate between feeling bad for the Smiths and wanting only bad things to happen to John. I mean, I hate that his family is going through so much with the illnesses and losing his son but he's still a freaking NAZI and doing horrible things to people so I go back and forth a lot with how I feel about that family (mad respect to Helen for leaving with the girls). I actually adored Frank and was devastated when he died for real this time. I thought his reunion with Juliana was really sweet and I'm glad they at least got to find peace together before he was killed off. I hope Ed, Jack, and Robert can really make some waves for the Resistance in San Francisco. I REALLY hate Kido and want him to be punished for all that he's done (my friends and I call him the Lizard because he just looks like one and acts like it too most of the time). I've always had a soft spot for the Trade Minister Tagomi because he always seems to want to do the right thing. He also suffered greatly with losing his family so his story is always interesting to me. We actually call Tagomi 'grandpa' because that's kind of what he feels like to us on the show and he's one of the few people on the show that I always trust. (BTW-my friends and I aren't good with remembering names so we have nicknames for almost everyone...Nicole was Slutty Helga as another example :lol: ) Also, I really like Wyatt/Liam and I'm glad he's now on board with the Resistance. I feel like these Resistance folks are going to rise up even more in S4 and I'm totally on board with it because watching the Nazis melt down the Liberty Bell and destroy the Statue of Liberty left me VERY HIGHLY shaken. :eek:

Anyway, I am extremely intrigued at where this show could go in S4 and I cannot wait for it to come back! I hope its not too long though because I don't use Amazon Prime enough to keep it too long, LOL :rofl:

LeafOnTheWind

I started watching UnReal on Hulu. It's a fictitious show about production of a Bachelor type reality show. It shows how the producers manipulate the contestants and why the contestants are really there. It centers around Rachel, one of the producers, who is coming back from a breakdown. Not sure if it's mental illness or major guilt about manipulating people and hurting them.

I'm liking it so far 3 episodes in. If you were a fan of the original Roswell, Rachel is played by the same actress who played Liz.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I started watching UnReal on Hulu. It's a fictitious show about production of a Bachelor type reality show. It shows how the producers manipulate the contestants and why the contestants are really there. It centers around Rachel, one of the producers, who is coming back from a breakdown. Not sure if it's mental illness or major guilt about manipulating people and hurting them.

I'm liking it so far 3 episodes in. If you were a fan of the original Roswell, Rachel is played by the same actress who played Liz.

I loved S1 of UnReal so much. Then I thought S2 and S3 went downhill fast. S4 held my interest more but brought out all the crazy.

Yehudi

AITA
Neil Gaiman wrote on instagram that The Amazon/BBC adaptation of Good Omens will drop on May 31. The cast is fantastic and perfect. David Tennant as Crowley, Michael Sheen as Aziraphale, Frances McDormand as God and Benedict Cumberbatch as Satan.

centerstage01

From what I read, the Miss Fisher movie will be screened in limited theaters in the US (as I don’t live near a major city like NYC or LA this makes me sad) and will stream on Acorn (which makes me happy). I don’t know if this will happen at the same time as doing so disqualifies the film for big awards (or it did—this rule may have changed). I doubt anyone’s expecting Oscars for this little movie, but it might get recognized for costumes or makeup or something along those lines.

LeafOnTheWind

I just added The Umbrella Academy to my Netflix queue. Six women gave birth to children on the same day but they didn't start out the day pregnant. A man adopted all the children and started the academy. There's a talking monkey and they have to save the world so it looks like it could be either really fun or really stupid.

Just wondering if anyone has seen this yet and what they thought of it. :)

TheGirlCanSkate

Netflix - Dating Around - I met my spouse when I was in high school so the idea of a blind date is something I have seen in movies and on tv but never really experienced. Until Dating Around. The premise is one person goes on 5 blind dates and at the end you see who they want to see again. Some of these dates are truly beyond cringy awkward. My favorite was Leonard not Lenny - a widower looking for love. It was a fun series. I liked the range of ages, the different backgrounds and it was cute.

Yehudi

AITA
I just added The Umbrella Academy to my Netflix queue. Six women gave birth to children on the same day but they didn't start out the day pregnant. A man adopted all the children and started the academy. There's a talking monkey and they have to save the world so it looks like it could be either really fun or really stupid.

Just wondering if anyone has seen this yet and what they thought of it. :)

You forgot the 58 year old time traveling man trapped in the body of his 10 year old self. Oh and Mary J Blige. I watched the first episode and part of the second yesterday during my commute and it’s really fun. It seems like a parody on the dysfunctional siblings coming together trope (like Haunting of Hill House): Stick up his butt “oldest child”(for lack of a better term), the Jan Brady loner, the addict, the one with relationship problems, the kid who talks and acts much older than he looks, and the one who gets ignored by the siblings.

LeafOnTheWind

I started watching The Umbrella Academy. I don't know what's going on completely but I do like it. The music selections are all over the place and I love them. We've had a Tiffany "I Think We're Alone Now" and They Might Be Giants "Istanbul not Constantinople" flashbacks along with Woodkid's "Run Boy Run" and some Nina Simone "Sinnerman".

Japanfan

Here you go! The website has tons of vids and pictures! :cheer2:

Six puppies and Us

I took a look and have some serious ethical concerns about this show.

First off, are the dog owners working with a professional trainer? Are they committed to their puppies, or just keeping them for the time being to get paid for participation in the show?

One woman has a pup who bites, and she said "if he keeps it up, he's not long for this world". That's not the sign of a committed dog owner, and is borderline abusive. She would put the dog down because of nipping?

And nipping is one of the easier dog behaviors to correct. First off, if you have a pup, you give him a bone or chewy treat, then take it out of his/her mouth and put it back. You only need to it once. This shows that you are in control of the treats and also really comes in handy should you need to get into your dog's mouth if the dog is choking. It happened to me with Bandit, who loves to chew on sticks. He was choking on a stick once, and if he'd bit me as I tried to get into his throat to dislodge the stick, he might have died.

Second, when pup nips, put your finger down the dog's throat and instigate the gag reflex. Yes, it sounds cruel, but again, you only ever have to do it once. I'm sure the positive-reinforcement trainers have another method, but in my experience - at least with this dog - classical aversive training has it's place as well.

Then, there was a guy who was dragging his dog down the street in by the straps of a harness. That's not classical aversive training, it's just wrong. And again, borderline abusive.

So yes, I'm troubled by this show.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information