U.S. Ice Dance 2018-19 season news & updates

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Copying out the names of the Senior/Junior/Novice teams scheduled to compete at Nationals:

SENIOR (12 teams):
Alannah Binotto (Pittsburgh FSC, Inc.) and Shiloh Judd (University of Delaware FSC) NEW
Christina Carreira (The SC of New York, Inc.) and Anthony Ponomarenko (The Skating Club of San Francisco, Inc.)
Madison Chock (All Year FSC) and Evan Bates (Ann Arbor FSC)
Lydia Erdman (Philadelphia SC & HS) and Yuri Vlasenko (Arctic FSC) NEW
Kaitlin Hawayek (Detroit SC, Inc.) and Jean-Luc Baker (Seattle SC)
Madison Hubbell (Lansing SC) and Zachary Donohue (Lansing SC)
Karina Manta (Coyotes SC of Arizona) and Joseph Johnson (Broadmoor SC, Inc.)
Lorraine McNamara (Peninsula SC) and Quinn Carpenter (Washington FSC)
Bailey Melton (Broadmoor SC, Inc.) and Ryan O'Donnell (The SC of Houston) NEW
Rachel Parsons (Washington FSC) and Michael Parsons (Washington FSC)
Elicia Reynolds (Ice Line FSC) and Stephen Reynolds (Ice Line FSC)
Nicole Takahashi (Skokie Valley SC) and Oleg Altukhov (The North County FSC) NEW

JUNIOR (13 teams; Sectionals placement included):
Ella Ales (Los Angeles FSC) and Daniel Tsarik (SC of Novi) NEW M2
Oona Brown (The SC of New York, Inc.) and Gage Brown (The SC of New York, Inc.) E2
Molly Cesanek (Washington FSC) and Yehor Yehorov (Peninsula SC) NEW P1
Katarina DelCamp (Dallas FSC, Inc.) and Maxwell Gart (All Year FSC) M4
Alina Efimova (Peninsula SC) and Alexander Petrov (Hershey FSC) P4
Sophia Elder (Louisville Skating Academy, Inc.) and Christopher Elder (Louisville Skating Academy, Inc.) M3
Caroline Green (Pavilion SC of Cleveland Heights) and Gordon Green (Pavilion SC of Cleveland Heights) E1
Eliana Gropman (Pavilion SC of Cleveland Heights) and Ian Somerville (Washington FSC) M1
Jocelyn Haines (Buffalo SC, Inc.) and James Koszuta (Glacier Falls FSC, Inc.) P2
Avonley Nguyen (Washington FSC) and Vadym Kolesnik (SC of Novi) Bye-JGPF
Claire Purnell (Louisville Skating Academy, Inc.) and Lucas Purnell (Louisville Skating Academy, Inc.) M5
Samantha Udell (Broadmoor SC, Inc.) and Garrett Udell (All Year FSC) P5
Katarina Wolfkostin (Peninsula SC) and Howard Zhao (Detroit SC, Inc.) P3

NOVICE (12 teams; Sectionals placement included):
Katherine Bronov (IceWorks SC) and Oleksandr Kolosovskyi (IceWorks SC) E4
Maria Brown (Pavilion SC of Cleveland Heights) and Marius Driscoll (Pavilion SC of Cleveland Heights) M2
Claire Cain (Washington FSC) and Andrei Davydov (Washington FSC) E3
Layla Karnes (All Year FSC) and Kirill Aksenov (Skokie Valley SC) P1
Anna Nicklas (Ann Arbor FSC) and Max Ryan (All Year FSC) P3
Elliana Peal (Skokie Valley SC) and Ethan Peal (Skokie Valley SC) M1
Joseline Pretto Simmons and Dmitrijs Naudzuns (SC of Western New York) P5
Cordelia Pride (All Year FSC) and Benjamin Lawless (Philadelphia SC & HS) P2
Kelsey Schaub (IceWorks SC) and Anthony Haddad (All Year FSC) E5
Jordan Lin (Washington FSC) and Morgan Sletten (Washington FSC) E2
Breelie Taylor (Atlanta FSC) and Tyler Vollmer (Los Angeles FSC) P4
Elizabeth Tkachenko (Washington FSC) and Alexei Kiliakov (Washington FSC) E1

Five of the Junior teams share a last name, as opposed to only one of the Novice teams.

I would have assumed the opposite would be true and that Novice teams would be more likely to be siblings, because of the convenience and the shared expense (and then, if one of the siblings decided against continuing, the other sibling would find a new partner).

Dobre

Five of the Junior teams share a last name, as opposed to only one of the Novice teams.

Well, the sibling teams stayed together. We had 21 junior teams signed up for the Chesapeake Open in June. The odds of making it to Nationals if you weren't already an established team were not great. But only 12 teams signed up for Sectionals at the end of the season so they all got in. (Good for the Udells and the Purnells for sticking it out and going to Sectionals because they couldn't have known that Amoia & Becker, Gunter & Wein, and Rose & Michel--all teams on the ISP--would not attend Easterns. All but one of the sibling teams in Juniors from last June are still together.

The Peals in Novices are a team to watch. (My favorite Greatest Showman Program being done this season. And, sadly, still not on youtube, although there were some pieces of it posted earlier. You've gotta see it live though).

Meanwhile, Jordan Lin & Morgan Sletten have their names posted backward on the "official" athlete list. I'd guess this is a hazard of having the first names of Jordan & Morgan;).

jlai

Question everything
Well, the sibling teams stayed together. We had 21 junior teams signed up for the Chesapeake Open in June. The odds of making it to Nationals if you weren't already an established team were not great. But only 12 teams signed up for Sectionals at the end of the season so they all got in. (Good for the Udells and the Purnells for sticking it out and going to Sectionals because they couldn't have known that Amoia & Becker, Gunter & Wein, and Rose & Michel--all teams on the ISP--would not attend Easterns. All but one of the sibling teams in Juniors from last June are still together.

The Peals in Novices are a team to watch. (My favorite Greatest Showman Program being done this season. And, sadly, still not on youtube, although there were some pieces of it posted earlier. You've gotta see it live though).

Meanwhile, Jordan Lin & Morgan Sletten have their names posted backward on the "official" athlete list. I'd guess this is a hazard of having the first names of Jordan & Morgan;).
So I should keep my eyes peeled for the Peals? :)

vireo

I guess Madison Chock won't be doing videos for Detroit tourism any time soon. ;)

This post reminded me that Madison and Evan were in Detroit in late November to promote the 2019 USFS Championships. They did interviews, filmed promos, and were guests at a Pistons game. There are links in their fan thread, but for anyone who missed them:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bq2oLAalQpk/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bq3LR1fA6Cy/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bq0uLtWhP4D/

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/s...ionships-evan-bates-madison-chock/2163676002/

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
They lived in Novi, which is 30 miles from Detroit, so it's natural that they're enjoying living within a big city. It's quite a change.

I checked for comparison and my parent’s home in the suburbs is 17 miles from downtown Montreal, certainly as far as I’d want to commute (it’s already a 40 minute train ride). So yeah, that alone does make a huge difference.

barbarafan

I checked for comparison and my parent’s home in the suburbs is 17 miles from downtown Montreal, certainly as far as I’d want to commute (it’s already a 40 minute train ride). So yeah, that alone does make a huge difference.

Which suburb? That seems to be a long train ride for 17 miles.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Which suburb? That seems to be a long train ride for 17 miles.
Not really. I live less than 12 miles from downtown Portland and if I was willing to commute in, riding a direct bus line from the nearest park & ride location (10 min drive from my house without traffic, but at least 20 min with rush hour traffic) is a 45 min trip. While the light rail trains are faster than that, I'd guess that a 17-mile trip takes 35-40 min easily.

Sylvia

TBD
Do C/B have any warm-up competitions b4 Nationals? This is a very late debut.
Chock/Bates are scheduled to make their season debut at Mentor Torun Cup in Poland (Green/Green also are doing their second junior international there).
I looked up the dates - the Senior/Junior Dance events at 2019 Mentor Torun Cup in Poland take place on January 11-12.

Junior RD & FD at Nationals are scheduled for January 23 & 24 and the Senior Dance events are Jan. 24 & 26.

barbarafan

Not really. I live less than 12 miles from downtown Portland and if I was willing to commute in, riding a direct bus line from the nearest park & ride location (10 min drive from my house without traffic, but at least 20 min with rush hour traffic) is a 45 min trip. While the light rail trains are faster than that, I'd guess that a 17-mile trip takes 35-40 min easily.

The train is very fast and it is much quicker than driving....unless you do it at 6:00am or B4 when there is no traffic.

azcalder

Chock & Bates' strongest competition at Mentor Torun Cup are Betina Popova & Sergey Mozgov, who recently placed fourth at Russian Nationals. They are much improved since moving to Anjelika Krylova. Montreal training mates Shiyue Wang & Xinyu Liu (CHN) are also competing. The event is January 8-12. Check out the entire entry list at mentorcup.pl.

Dobre

Chock & Bates' strongest competition at Mentor Torun Cup are Betina Popova & Sergey Mozgov, who recently placed fourth at Russian Nationals. They are much improved since moving to Anjelika Krylova. Montreal training mates Shiyue Wang & Xinyu Liu (CHN) are also competing. The event is January 8-12. Check out the entire entry list at mentorcup.pl.

Kaliszek & Spodyriev have the highest SB (granted Tallinn scores were super high and not really comparable). Popova & Mozgov have been having a tough season, actually. Very rough at Golden Spin, but they skated better at Nationals. I think Tanith said that Krylova is having them relearn their technique, which has likely been a big challenge. Should be an interesting head to head with K&S, P&M, and W&L.

Sylvia

TBD
How many Junior teams have competed domestically so far this season?
Anna Petterson & TJ Carey - will represent SWE this season?
Turns out that partnership ended before they had a chance to compete for Sweden. TJ Carey recently announced on Twitter that he has a new partner, Miranda Lloyd, and they performed on New Year's Eve in the Boston First Night show at the Frog Pond. A local TV segment mentioned that "The teenagers have been practicing together several hours a day, six days a week, for the last three months."

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ I'm a big fan of Jordan's On Ice Perspectives videos and compiled IG links to all of the U.S. ice dance teams he filmed/posted through early September in posts #126 & 127 of this thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...eason-news-updates.104092/page-5#post-5405917

Here's another clip posted since then - Lift in Hubbell/Donohue's RD (posted before they debuted in SLC): https://www.instagram.com/p/BnnrCyVlW6M/

2 photos from his trip to Gadbois in December:
With Chock/Bates & Hubbell/Donohue: https://www.instagram.com/p/BrYPaJJngyt/
Hawayek/Baker: https://www.instagram.com/p/BrXWOzhn864/

ETA:

Charlie and Meryl will make a public appearance in Denver on Sunday, January 6 for CapitalOne/Visa: https://www.instagram.com/p/BsIhIGNFGvm/

Sylvia

TBD
Quotes tweeted re. Hawayek/Baker's pre-Nationals media teleconference call today:

Lynn Rutherford (@LynnRutherford):
Media call w/@KaitlinHawayek @jeanlucbaker: With Jean-Luc's concussion symptoms managed & "pretty much gone," since GPFinal, they've worked on 11 key points in tango pattern for RD as well as, in general, "locking down the technique to do steps properly." 1/2
More media call w/@KaitlinHawayek @jeanlucbaker: In the FD,they've changed the exit on a lift & adjusted orientation of footwork. One big focus since moving to Montreal: Working to enhance "use of knee bend & glide." 2/2
FigureSkatersOnline (@fsonline):
Ice dancers Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker talked to the media today ahead of #USChamps19. Baker: "Our goal is to be pushing towards the top tier in the U.S, because then we are in the top tier in the world. We go into training every day training to win."
Hawayek: "The mentality of training to win has been a major influence on the way we look at training. In the past, we've been afraid of [that] idea, because it is hard to get to the top. But if you never allow yourself to think you can get there, you won't be able to."
ETA:
On new elements in #icedancing this year, Baker says he likes the choreographic character step sequence: "Both Kaitlin & I love that there is such freedom to it. With it just being a GOE-based step [no level awarded], you can allow yourself to just go & feel & dance."
Baker says he is "free of symptoms" from the concussion he suffered in August. "Kaitlin has been such a rock for me throughout this [recovery] process."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information