U.S. Pairs 2018 - News & Updates, Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
I posted this in the U.S. Regionals thread in Kiss & Cry and forgot to cross-post here:

Allison Timlen/Justin Highgate-Brutman skated both their Senior programs at North Atlantic Regionals last month, along with the new team of Olivia Serafini/Mervin Tran (SP only). Since they were exhibitions, scores and videos were not posted online.

I believe Serafini/Tran are training in Montreal now.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I believe Serafini/Tran are training in Montreal now.

^^ Oh, so maybe that's why there was no USFS announcement of the pairing. Maybe they were trying out first in Cali, with Mervin's hopeful intent to move back to Canada and weather Olivia applying for Canadian citizenship? Or, is their plan to still represent the U.S., with Mervin's citizenship progress still pending? With the recent U.S. ruling against Christina Carreira, that avenue for Mervin does not look as hopeful, no? I know when Mervin was partnered with Marissa, he was intent on continuing to train with Gauthier/Marcotte as one of the conditions for their pairing up. And of course, now with Canada a bit lean on established pairs, maybe Mervin sees an opportunity. I hope things work out for him and Olivia.

Since they were exhibitions, scores and videos were not posted online.

Drat!

Their cover photo is also displayed on USFS' IG: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bpsd0BvDOQB/

Ah, so delightfully glamorous, sexy, and strong. The camera loves them. Is that lighting great or what?! :) Danny's baby blues match his shirt. And Tarah's make-up is perfect. Best of luck to K/O!

Last edited:

happycamper2554

Maybe this is me. But why did they put them on a blue background if he's wearing blue? Both gorgeous though. Hoping they can come out strong in japan and upset the apple cart

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Can you fix the opening quote reference above please.

Tarah & Danny are prominent in the photo, not the background. And, indeed, the background is what is enhancing the lighting and the photo. The immediate background directly behind them is shaded with a darker, deeper blue than Danny's shirt and it blends into a blue that is the same shade as Danny's shirt, but that's at the top of the cover behind the magazine heading.

VGThuy

Isn't Mervin a permanent resident now? So he wouldn't have the issue Christina Carreria had.

Sylvia

TBD
Audrey Lu and Misha Mitrofanov Rely on Trust in Debut Senior Season: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...nov-rely-on-trust-in-debut-senior-season.aspx
That impressive finish led them to two early season ISU Challenger Series events, the U.S. International Classic, where they earned silver, and Nebelhorn Trophy, where they finished fifth. They have also been assigned to two ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating events, NHK Trophy, Nov. 9-11, and Internationaux de France, Nov. 23-25.
They trust Letov, they trust each other and now they trust that the hard work that they have put on will be rewarded on the international stage. But just like it took trials, errors and precious time to get to where they are in their current relationship, they recognize it will take just as much competition-wise for them to reach the senior podium.
"Our goal is, we're not really looking at placements right now, because we understand we are new," said Mitrofanov. "We're mostly just going to be focusing on showing good choreography, showing good elements, good skating, and just building a name, a reputation for us."

Sylvia

TBD
According to the USFS assignment page, Feng/Nyman have WD from Alpen Trophy.
They were scheduled to compete in their first senior international (ISU Challenger) at the Inge Solar Memorial (along with Calalang/Johnson - eta but now there are only 3 pairs left which means no ISU WS points :() but their names were removed from the CS entry list yesterday. Hopefully all is well and they're focusing on training for the JGP Final, Dec. 5-9.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Isn't Mervin a permanent resident now? So he wouldn't have the issue Christina Carreria had.

Ah, I did not know how far along Mervin's citizenship application process is, as compared with Christina's. That is strange (since I thought Christina & Anthony have been together for awhile and already have represented the U.S. in international junior competitions).

Is it that Mervin's application got started under the Obama administration, and Christina's did not? Or that Mervin's application moved along faster and he already has his green card, and Christina does not? Perhaps the main complication is that Christina applied for U.S. citizenship via a different visa application process, i.e., the O-1A visa (Extraordinary Aien) in the athletics category, and Mervin went the normal route of an employment visa application most likely the H-1B visa for specialty, sports-related occupations? I used to work in immigration law, so I'm familiar with some of these applications and the very lengthy procedural, document-driven, paperwork-driven process and the very long wait times. It's often hard to meet the Extraordinary Alien requirements. I wonder why Christina's attorney advised that approach. Maybe because it can be faster, but it's also more limited, stricter and riskier.

VGThuy

Yeah it seems he won’t be a citizen in time for the 2022 games but he’d be eligible to apply for citizenship on or around September 2022.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
CRAP Knierims really have a great SP.... it has so grown on me...

It's Alexa now making the mistakes...her fall and messing up er positions in her spin......

It really is a good program....

I don't like how they redesigned his costume..too much black... a solid chunk of black now that doesn't look right or nice...

There's NO reason why that program shouldn't be in second place.

My God that throw 3 flip.... wow.....

Sylvia

TBD
FYI, Tarah & Danny will be on the cover of the next Skating Magazine and they look AMAZING on it (US Figure Skating announced it on FB today). I actually knew it was coming but I'm still super excited to see the pictures and read their article.
Kayne/O'Shea's cover article and photos are online (spanning pages 20-26 in the November print edition): https://content.digitalpub.blue-soh...SKATING/html/index.html?page=22&origin=reader

Alexa Scimeca-Knierim and Chris Knierim Win Bronze at NHK Trophy: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...d-chris-knierim-win-bronze-at-nhk-trophy.aspx

Sylvia

TBD
Golden Spin of Zagreb Challenger Series entries (still to be confirmed on USFS' International Assignments page) are Cain/LeDuc, Scimeca Knierim/Knierim and Stellato/Bartholomay.

In the Golden Spin Junior event, the new team of of Chelsea Liu and Ian Meyh are listed (to get their TES minimums for Junior Worlds - she ages out after this season).

AngieNikodinovLove

Well even with the uncertainty of the Knierims it's way clear for me they are the one for the world team!!

I thought C&L would be stronger this week.

Will be interesting when the top 3 have a mini competition in a few weeks.

Are Feng and her partner doing seniors Nat's? They seem to have good speed....

Spiralgraph

It's very iffy to pick a world team two months before Nationals. C/L have improved, have had several strong showings and three medals at Chellengers and their previous grand prix and head to head they defeated the Knierims. The Knierims too have a medal on the grand prix. But the Knierims have also improved their programs and their overall quality if you ignore the jumps that is.
So I prefer to let the rest of this season play out and let every team skate at Nationals with no bias by the judges. It's still my belief that a 15th place at worlds last season doesn't make the Knierims automatic winners of that lone spot to Worlds this season.

AngieNikodinovLove

It's very iffy to pick a world team two months before Nationals. C/L have improved, have had several strong showings and three medals at Chellengers and their previous grand prix and head to head they defeated the Knierims. The Knierims too have a medal on the grand prix. But the Knierims have also improved their programs and their overall quality if you ignore the jumps that is.
So I prefer to let the rest of this season play out and let every team skate at Nationals with no bias by the judges. It's still my belief that a 15th place at worlds last season doesn't make the Knierims automatic winners of that lone spot to Worlds this season.

Not for me in this case. The other USA teams? K&O, no. D&F and S&B couldn't finish their grand prixs. I'm just curious as to Sarah Feng and her partner.

Knierims non jump elements are so so much stronger than everyone else's.

I agree that a 15th place wouldn't be an automatic qualifier, lol but I have seen what's played out this season, child...... 🤕

And thats all she wrote!!

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
Don't think I saw Deardorff/Settlage in sectionals results. Did they opt not to compete? Also no Mervin Tran & new partner. Are they still skating together? Sitting out the season to have more time to gel?

Sylvia

TBD
Don't think I saw Deardorff/Settlage in sectionals results. Did they opt not to compete? Also no Mervin Tran & new partner. Are they still skating together?
Yes and yes (Olivia Serafini/Mervin Tran).

These are the senior pairs listed in the ISP:

Ashley Cain & Timothy LeDuc
Jessica Calalang & Brian Johnson
Winter Deardorff & Max Settlage
Haven Denney & Brandon Frazier
Nica Digerness & Danny Neudecker
Tarah Kayne & Danny O’Shea
Chelsea Liu & Ian Meyh (ISU junior age-eligible this season only)
Audrey Lu & Misha Mitrofanov
Jessica Pfund & Joshua Santillan
Alexa Scimeca Knierim & Chris Knierim
Erika Smith & AJ Reiss
Deanna Stellato & Nathan Bartholomay
Nadine Wang/Spencer Howe

Allison Timlen/Justin Highgate-Brutman looked good at Eastern Sectionals (Jade Esposito/Rique Newby-Estrella WD).

The new team of Chelsea Liu/Ian Meyh was supposed to skate a Senior exhibition at Pacific Coast Sectionals but since they were not shown on NBC Sports Gold I don't know whether or not they skated. As mentioned previously, they are assigned to the Junior event at Golden Spin of Zagreb to get their ISU minimums.

Another new Senior pair that elected not to compete at Sectionals was Eliana Secunda/Jacob Simon.

Last edited:

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
I'm sure people thought SK&K were shoo ins back in 2016 as well (when Tarah & Danny won) but I'm more than willing to let the actual competition speak for itself before crowning anyone senior pairs champs at 2019 US Nats. I honestly don't think it matters who the US sends to Worlds at this point because they're all a bit erratic right now. I'd like to see how Tarah & Danny do at their next two competitions and also see how the three pairs that are going head to head at Golden Spin do there. After that I'm perfectly content to wait until US Nats to see who steps up there. That competition is gonna be a dog fight IMO with only one spot on the line. :yikes::eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information