Royalty Thread #7: Do They Get Frequent Flier Miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftershocks

Banned Member
And by that point, both Harry/Meghan and Kate/William will probably be happy to yield the stage.

Even before then, especially for Harry and Meghan what with the OTT media scrutiny, unwarranted critiques, and now the (Piers Morgan) unscrupulous exploiting of Meghan's father in the recent ill-advised GMB interview. There were a lot of interesting and harmless things Mr. Markle said in the interview, and it was nice to hear his voice and to realize he actually seems to be a very nice man. Unfortunately, he also seems clueless, misled and out of his element.

Of course, the media is playing up the unwitting leaking of private conversations (squeezed out of Mr. Markle by Piers), which overshadows the positive and entertaining comments Mr. Markle made. He obviously needs to be given some assistance so he can understand that Piers is a viper, and not a responsible journalist trying to help him. This interview has only served to make Mr. Markle appear more of a fool, despite the interesting information we learned about his plans to attend the wedding before his heart complications, and the cute nickname he gave his daughter, and how he feels that she's always been a princess.

I surely hope he doesn't suffer any more heart problems when he fully realizes he's been taken horrible advantage of by the media once again.

ITA that the Oscar de la Renta dress Meghan chose to wear at a Spencer relative's wedding did not look good on her, particularly the overbulk at her waist, neck and wrists. It's just too much volume on her small frame. Plus the fascinator just doesn't work with unkempt hair and this particular dress. There are ways this dress might have been salvaged with a tighter fit at her waist and bodice, but it just doesn't work. And what's up with the matching shoes? The dress' blue and white flower print is bright and pretty, but maybe the blue should have been the background color.

With this choice, Meghan seems to have gone against her own number 1 fashion tip: "Make fashion selections that work for your body." This is really a very uncharacteristic miss on Meghan's part. Someone surmised that she's likely trying to channel the British upper-class country wedding aesthetic, but this look just doesn't work for her the way it could have, with more careful attention to fit and styling. I hope Meghan hasn't been thrown off her stride by those unwarranted media attacks on the gorgeous Carolina Herrera outfit she wore to TofC last week.

Her father's indication in the GMB interview that Meghan and Harry have been extremely busy and that they need some time away for themselves seems apropos. It's likely going to take Meghan some time to meld her own unique style with her new role. I hope she never loses sight of who she is and of her own voice in the process. :drama: Hey, there's always a new day and Royal Ascot is this week! Redeem yourself Meghan!

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
I don't think even Eugenie & Beatrice have worn a dress that bad

Don't worry. Both Eugenie and Beatrice have worn worse. Neither of the York Princesses have a great deal of flair or fashion sense. OTOH, Meghan does, and that's why this frumpy wedding look (despite the fresh summery colors) is as much of a surprising miss/ mess as it is. ;)

Lorac

Even before then, especially for Harry and Meghan what with the OTT media scrutiny, unwarranted critiques, and now the (Piers Morgan) unscrupulous exploiting of Meghan's father in the recent ill-advised GMB interview. There were a lot of interesting and harmless things Mr. Markle said in the interview, and it was nice to hear his voice and to realize he actually seems to be a very nice man. Unfortunately, he also seems clueless, misled and out of his element.

Of course, the media is playing up the unwitting leaking of private conversations (squeezed out of Mr. Markle by Piers), which overshadows the positive and entertaining comments Mr. Markle made. He obviously needs to be given some assistance so he can understand that Piers is a viper, and not a responsible journalist trying to help him. This interview has only served to make Mr. Markle appear more of a fool, despite the interesting information we learned about his plans to attend the wedding before his heart complications, and the cute nickname he gave his daughter, and how he feels that she's always been a princess.

I surely hope he doesn't suffer any more heart problems when he fully realizes he's been taken horrible advantage of by the media once again.

I had absolutely no idea what you were talking about @aftershocks. I don't watch GMB as I much prefer the BBC Breakfast show and the few times I have flipped onto it Piers Morgan has just been shouting over people he doesn't agree with refusing to allow them to explain their position and Suzanne Reid is just simpering beside him - ugh!! I also realised I didn't see any news the rest of yesterday - relying on the BBC app to keep me updated - especially with local news - and the BBC seems to have chosen to ignore this - unless it was mentioned yesterday and I missed it.

Anyway I googled it and I am astounded with what Piers seemed to push Thomas Markle to say about private conversations with Harry. Why hasn't Meaghan told her Dad to say nothing to the press - I would have thought after the mess prior to the wedding a conversation of some sort would have been had!! I also see GMB did not pre advertise this interview - which meant less viewers - but also because they were fearful the Palace would have contacted Thomas Markel and persuade him not to speak to Piers and probably offer him a more organised interview for him to speak. Pretty underhand really on the part of GMB. But as this is the organisation that originally were going to have the Markle half nephews and ex sister in law as part of their wedding coverage until public opinion made them change their minds why am I surprised.

But really Meghan needs to have a heart to heart with her father in regards to this situation and how best he can deal with it.

MLIS

Anyway I googled it and I am astounded with what Piers seemed to push Thomas Markle to say about private conversations with Harry. Why hasn't Meaghan told her Dad to say nothing to the press - I would have thought after the mess prior to the wedding a conversation of some sort would have been had!! [snip]

But really Meghan needs to have a heart to heart with her father in regards to this situation and how best he can deal with it.

What makes you think she hasn't? I've read that Mr. Markle has been offered media training and support over and over by Kensington Palace, and has declined. They can't force him to accept help, and even if she had begged/forbidden/instructed him not to speak to the press again, she can't stop him from half way around the world. This interview seems to have come as a surprise to Meghan and Harry, and I wish I'd been a fly on the wall at KP when they heard about it! You'd think he would have learned his lesson after what happened in the lead up to the wedding, but here we are again. He is obviously out of his depth, getting extremely bad advice from someone, and the media is at its predatory worst. It's such a shame, and I really feel for Meghan.

Lorac

What makes you think she hasn't? I've read that Mr. Markle has been offered media training and support over and over by Kensington Palace, and has declined. They can't force him to accept help, and even if she had begged/forbidden/instructed him not to speak to the press again, she can't stop him from half way around the world. This interview seems to have come as a surprise to Meghan and Harry, and I wish I'd been a fly on the wall at KP when they heard about it! You'd think he would have learned his lesson after what happened in the lead up to the wedding, but here we are again. He is obviously out of his depth, getting extremely bad advice from someone, and the media is at its predatory worst. It's such a shame, and I really feel for Meghan.

Hopefully she has tried to talk to him. The impression I got was that he had been left to flounder but then I realised that has come from elements of the press who just like to stir things up - including Piers Morgan. Yes this interview was a surprise to all and sundry and the Palace is not amused. Harry must be so upset that private comments he made have been aired like that especially as both him and William guard their privacy and the privacy of their families closely. It must have taken some slick talking from someone for Thomas Merkel to do that interview and I wonder if he was lied to about questions he would be asked to get him to do it live.

Piers Morgan is pond scum and I hope this really backfires on him somehow.

Lorac

I'm on my phone so can't post pictures but I just saw Meghan's dress and hat at Ascot and I must say for the first time I love it in its entirety. Hopefully someone else can post or if I get to computer I will.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Hopefully she has tried to talk to him. The impression I got was that he had been left to flounder but then I realised that has come from elements of the press who just like to stir things up - including Piers Morgan. Yes this interview was a surprise to all and sundry and the Palace is not amused. Harry must be so upset that private comments he made have been aired like that especially as both him and William guard their privacy and the privacy of their families closely. It must have taken some slick talking from someone for Thomas Merkel to do that interview and I wonder if he was lied to about questions he would be asked to get him to do it live.

Piers Morgan is pond scum and I hope this really backfires on him somehow.
Don't blame Morgan. Daddy should not have been there

aftershocks

Banned Member
Why hasn't Meaghan told her Dad to say nothing to the press -

Meghan and Harry both have told her Dad NOT to speak to the media, many times! Ironically, Mr. Markle even admits they told him not to speak to the media, during this very GMB interview (if you can sit through watching the various parts of it posted on Youtube). :duh: Unfortunately, Markle Snr is under the faulty impression that Piers is a 'reputable' journalist who is somehow helping him to set the record straight. :rolleyes: Markle Snr is soft-spoken, and he seems like a gentle giant, and an overgrown teddy bear with blunderbuss tendencies. I think both the media and his older children have learned that the way to manipulate him is through his pride and his vanity, and that's what we are seeing happen. It's very sad. Before having seen Markle Snr speak in person, up-close-and-personal, I was very down on him and I wondered about his motivations. After seeing him in this interview (at points his voice was shaking and his eyes were twitching, and he had to hold the concealed microphone over his ear), I realize that he's a big softie who has been caught like a deer-in-the-headlights as a result of his daughter's unexpected worldwide fame due to marrying into the British royal family. So I have sympathy for him.

I also feel sorry for Meghan and Harry (Duke & Duchess of Sussex). I suspect that Meghan was all along worried about her Dad. I feel certain that she's shared everything about her life and her family with Harry (just as he has shared with her his family traumas). So there are no surprises between them. It's just fortunate that her Dad's whereabouts were unknown to the media until shortly before or sometime shortly after the engagement announcement. I would not put it past the older woeful siblings being somehow instigators in getting Markle Snr mixed-up with the tabloid media, and accepting money. Markle Snr seemingly doesn't fully realize how bad it looks image-wise for him to accept money for this type of interview (as it's trading off on his daughter's fame -- I just don't think he gets it). Of course many people blame him and think he's doing this with some deliberate intent. I do not believe that's the case. The blame is squarely on the media monsters who are taking advantage of him, and on the scabby unscrupulous older adult children.

Obviously, there's not a lot we know about the behind-the-scenes, despite the conversation leaks Piers squeezed out of Markle Snr. But we do know that KP has previously requested the media to leave Mr. Markle alone on a number of occasions. This is a delicate situation, as the royal firm has hardly been in the position of having to deal with coddling and managing out-of-control relatives. Most royal wives of the past simply had to say goodbye to much contact with their former families once they married into royalty. Even royal princesses who married into foreign royal families found themselves isolated in a different country having to deal with a new culture, often a new language, and with getting accustomed to strange new family members' quirks.

This current modern day situation is quite unusual on an entirely different scale, with Meghan being American, a former actor, and coming from a family with a difficult set of dysfunctions. She's obviously estranged from most of the Markles, and apparently from many of the Raglands too. It's her mother Doria who has been her main nurturer, helpmate, role model and champion (in addition to her deceased maternal grandmother's positive influence; plus Meghan may also have been close to her paternal grandmother). I'll bet most of the dealings with Markle Snr were left up to Harry and Meghan. I also suspect that Meghan had some anxieties about her father all along, as she's likely experienced him letting her down and making poor decisions at other times in her life. Let's keep in mind too that absolutely none of this is Meghan's fault. KP, BP and HM the Queen know that.

The stuff that's being negatively twisted about what Markle Snr mentioned Harry said during phone conversations, is seriously trivial. Many people said at one time or another, "Give Trump a chance." Even Pres. Obama said that at first, whether he believed in it or not. And we don't know the timing of when Harry had this conversation with Markle Snr (not that the timing makes much difference). I think Harry was more-or-less trying to be supportive of Markle Snr's upset feelings about Trump (as Markle Snr went on to clarify later in the interview when Piers had the nerve to press him again for more details). The stuff Harry supposedly said about Brexit, is another 'non-story.' The royals have nothing to do with voting for Brexit. Of course, their public stance and even their private conversational stance is going to be 'Let's give it a chance.' What other choice do they have? They have to deal with the political realities that exist, and do their best in the public sphere to promote Great Britain and the Commonwealth in order to shore up their country's economic interests.

As far as Markle Snr requesting Harry not to raise a hand to his daughter, that's a generic request (and a kind of formality) which Markle Snr would have made of any suitor asking for his daughter's hand in marriage. It just shows that he cares about his daughter, not that he thinks poorly of Prince Harry. Throughout the interview Markle Snr kept praising Harry, Prince Charles, QEII, and other members of the royal family. As usual, the tabloids will play up and exaggerate any 'gotcha' angle that they can, while ignoring anything positive and innocuous! :drama:

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member

The look is okay I suppose. It doesn't look bad on her. I have to see it from different angles. I do love the hat and her hairstyle, and also the lovely detailed white-on-white embroidery around her waist and the way the dress falls in folds around her legs as she walks. What I don't like about this latest outfit is that I'd like to see it in a bold pretty color, which tends to look much better on Meghan. She's now worn three looks with a lot of white/cream, but too much overall white IMO washes her out, IMO.

I must say that I think Meghan seems to be trying very hard to meld her own personal style aesthetic with the demands and strictures of her new role. Right now, she's not managing it very effortlessly, IMO. I think she's tending toward lower hemlines too much, and she also seems to be trying to downplay her sexy edge, so as not to grab the spotlight. Part of her style is a certain basic color palette, but she's been overdoing it in that direction, especially before the wedding. I just hope she will mix it up with more color and more striking, sophisticated looks (like the unexpected McQueen tuxedo at the Endeavour Awards event, and the gorgeous Jackie O halo dress during Commonwealth -- even though those outfits were in black, and her go-to in the fall was a lot of black and navy. The navy cape dress for the tribute concert for QEII, and the white coat with navy dress at the first Commonwealth church service were nice. Still that's quite a lot of black, navy and white so far -- that's why the pale pink colors recently were a nice change of pace, but now she's been sticking with white and cream). I just think she's nervous right now about receiving too much criticism. And she clearly is not interested in stealing the royal spotlight from anyone. That by itself is commendable on her part, to a degree.

I seriously hope she does not shy away from the boatneck look in the future, simply because the OTT media and some jealous or conservative observers didn't like the gorgeous and sexy neckline we saw on her at TofC. She was beautiful and she wasn't baring too much skin. Sophie Countess of Wessex was baring skin and a bit of cleavage in the lovely dress she wore to TofC in 2011, and there wasn't the amount of ridiculous critiques of her that we've seen leveled at Meghan. Now that Meghan has worn outfits on her last several outings that have been conservatively covering her up, everyone has been praising her. Even that outfit on Sunday at the wedding was praised in the media. :duh: It simply did not look good on her with the overabundance of fabric around her waist, neck, wrists and arms.

I suppose all of the over-scrutiny in and of itself is part of the problem. Oh well, I just hope she doesn't lose who she is as she begins to settle in more. Maybe we will see more interesting outfits with her unique flair during the South Seas tour, hopefully. :drama:

Last edited:

Lorac

For what it's worth I am neither jealous or conservative. I just thought the TotC dress wasn't fitted right and kept slipping down. And the Countess of Wessexs outfit from 2011 showed a heck of a lot less skin even with a deep neckline and was no where as off shoulder as Meghan's.

And no way does her Ascot dress from today wash her out. It suited her totally and was lovely. When you are that beautiful you do not need to flash skin to prove it. The dress was crisp and light and the hat was perfection.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Oh, I wasn't singling you out @Lorac. I don't even recall who felt which way in this particular thread. I follow Meghan's fashion and style on other sites, so I am referencing a number of strongly worded critiques in other quarters, beyond what may have been voiced here, as well as the unnecesary exaggeration and pile-on in the print media (led by the tabloids of course).

Meghan's hair has clearly been styled. It's not like she just threw it in a ponytail and called it a day.

Eh, Meghan is gorgeous and she can usually carry off anything. The cheap fascinator (in comparison to the cost of the designer dress) just didn't work with the outfit chiefly. With the overbulk of the dress, the fascinator sitting atop hair that had messy strands hanging just didn't work as an overall look. I agree with you that she did pull back her hair in a nice swept-back do. However, the flyaway hair strands did not work with the fascinator in that instance, because the dress was not polished and sophisticated. In fact, this view I am reciting is from Meghan's own pre-Harry fashion tip interviews. :COP:

Meghan has said that rockin' an edgy laid-back, yet sophisticated look involves having one or two things out of place (not everything looking out of place like it did on her at the country wedding)! Having things off-kilter like a few hair strands, or torn jeans, or a shirt-tail hanging out on one side, and voila, there's Meghan's Invictus games sexy, edgy look with Prince Harry last September: her hair was down and gorgeously styled, and she was wearing oversized sunglasses with minimal makeup. She also wore torn fitted jeans, the sophisticated Misha Nonoo designed 'Husband' oversized white shirt with part of the tail hanging out, and carrying a large tan leather handbag with tan leather flats footwear by Sarah Flint (probably the only time Meghan's been seen publicly wearing flats at Harry's side -- she apparently prefers stilettos on most occasions now which helps bring her up closer a bit past Harry's shoulders, since she's quite a bit shorter than him). While I don't personally care for the torn jeans look, Meghan has always looked fab rockin' that type of edgy trendy look. I'm not expecting her to ever be seen publicly in torn jeans again. I'm just saying she's still working through melding her personal aesthetic with the demands of her new role. And that's understandable. I know I am exhibiting some impatience, mostly because I don't like the idea of Meghan succumbing to unwarranted criticism and going even more conservative as a result.

In their first official, yet casual public appearance, they both looked great together at Invictus in Toronto. I'd love to see much more of both of them together rockin' their own unique lifestyle without all the royal pomp and circumstance and mediastorm and upperclass British societal strictures crimpin' their naturally charming and more down-to-earth tendencies. At Invictus in Toronto, it was just them showing their true colors and their sexy vibe and ease with each other. We still see the vibe and the ease when they gaze into each other's eyes, but it's now caught within this rather stuffy royal protocol backdrop. Once again, this relationship ain't and never has been a fairytale. Meghan's the one who essentially has rescued Harry from the more boring aspects of Windsor royal life, and from the 'void' (Harry's own description btw) left by his mother's passing. Obviously, M&H do actually love each other, so that will hopefully be their ultimate saving grace. I'm not putting down the perks of being a royal, because there are many luxuries and advantages of that particular high-class living and rare prestige that most of us can never dream of experiencing. The bottom line too is that M&H bonded over giving back to others and making a difference as humanitarians. So, that's also something to look forward to seeing happen over the coming years.

Last edited:

MLIS

And no way does her Ascot dress from today wash her out. It suited her totally and was lovely. When you are that beautiful you do not need to flash skin to prove it. The dress was crisp and light and the hat was perfection.

This is by far my favourite look ever from Meghan, except maybe her wedding dress (dresses, really, as her evening dress was stunning, too). She looks amazing, the dress is well fitted, the hat is a show stopper (appropriate at Ascot), and her best accessory is her stunning, genuine smile and happy glow. Gorgeous.

SHARPIE

fsuniverse.COM (finally)
Staff member
Right peasants, I’m travelling to Ascot tomorrow and will be attending on Thursday. Hopefully I’ll get some good photos of the Firm!

I saw a “Bet £10 get your money back as a free bet if it loses” offer today on the first race. Figured, what the hell so went with Accidental Agent (as I think it’s almost my job title :smokin: )

Which promptly romped home at 33/1

(I’m normally a no risk spread better for profit, but have small flutters if there are decent offers on the big race meetings)

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
For what it's worth I am neither jealous or conservative. I just thought the TotC dress wasn't fitted right and kept slipping down. And the Countess of Wessexs outfit from 2011 showed a heck of a lot less skin even with a deep neckline and was no where as off shoulder as Meghan's.

I don't think Meghan needs to flash skin to look sexy and edgy. :duh: With her body type, she looks good in a particular kind of styling which she's rocked and then some both pre- and post-Harry.
https://www.usmagazine.com/stylish/...ce-harrys-lady-won-on-the-red-carpet-w495894/ Of course Meghan would no longer wear many of these types of edgy styles any longer, and I never did think she looked that great in every mini-dress she wore, but I don't think she needs to be so overly low with her so many of her hemlines. More of a just below the knee length rather than just above the ankles. I'm not talking about the Royal Ascot dress because it does have a lovely assymmetrical maxi-hemline. It's a pretty style on her and the white is okay, but it just doesn't strike me as a wow look. It's beautifully styled, but rather conservative and low-key, which is surely intentional on Meghan's part.
I think Sophie Countess of Wessex looked gorgeous and elegant in 2011. I am not criticizing Sophie's show of skin or saying that it was more or less than Meghan's, just that it was a distinctly lower neckline that showed some cleavage and an expanse of neckline was showing too, even though it was not a shoulder-hugging look -- and Sophie was not targeted with OTT criticism. I only pointed out what Sophie wore in 2011 because some critics have claimed that they've never seen royal ladies exposing as much skin as Meghan did at TofC. NOT true, obviously! Meghan's look was not 'off-the-shoulders' either despite it being described that way. The top encircled her shoulders in a very flattering way. What I hope hasn't happened is Meghan being affected by any of those mostly jealous and pearl-clutching critiques to go too conservative in her sartorial choices.

Unavoidably, Meghan is now trying to fit in with her new family and with her new country. This attempt to meld and to be low key can be seen in her adopting overly conservative hemlines. I can understand lowering her hemlines a bit because she's also a bit self-conscious perhaps of 'skinny legs' critiques. But sometimes the hemlines have been too low, particularly for that otherwise gorgeous black suit she wore accompaning Harry and William to a Commonwealth church service. That overly low hemline did not hit her legs at a flattering spot either. For me, right now I don't see the royal sartorial transition working 100% smoothly for Meghan, regardless of the fact that she's gorgeous and she tends to look good in most anything. Even the baggy curtains look the other day did not detract from her inner glow and her outer gorgeousness. :D

I really have to laugh at the amount of OTT critiques Meghan received for that very sexy neckline and shoulder-blade baring TofC outfit compared to the fawning over her more conservatively-styled ensembles she's worn since TofC.:lol: Again, I'm not saying that it's been a lot of critiques on FSU. I'm talking about in the media in general.

Again, Meghan doesn't have to show skin to look sexy, elegant and pulled together. I loved that iconic navy Antonio Berardi assymetrical hemline dress she wore at the polo match with Harry last May during their courtship days. Bellisima! And, the Roland Mouret navy dress we briefly caught a glimpse of on Meghan the day before her wedding is sublime and unforgettable. I'm not interested in Meghan focusing on looking sexy in any case. She's not someone who even has to try hard to be glamorous. Right now, it just seems like she's trying to fade into or fit into the royal scene a bit too conservatively. I'd just like to not see her swallowed up into Harry's royal orbit completely to the point where she loses her own voice, her edgy, savvy sass, her confidence and her laid-back sophisticated style. She's already given up so much to marry Harry. I know she sees what she's given up as worth it because she loves him, and she wishes to fully embrace life as a royal wife supporting her husband and her new country and being able to place a focus on humanitarian work. It's early days yet, but I'm still holding my breath re hoping we won't see Meghan disappear completely behind palace walls and into the royal sinkhole. Of course, if it turns out that she's happy and that's her choice, fine. It's her life and she's smart enough to make her own choices.

I think the styling of the dress and hat Meghan wore to Royal Ascot today are okay. Another Givenchy, similar in palette to the more fitted cream dress with the cape top that Meghan wore in Cheshire. The look today is white rather than cream. It is definitely styled better to fit her than the blue & white country curtains look the other day. However, today's Royal Ascot white dress is not a memorable Meghan look IMO. I love the white-on-white embroidery detail at Meghan's waist, but for me this particular shade of white with covered-up styling gives her a washed-out look. You don't have to agree @Lorac. That's just how I happen to see it. As I said earlier, this dress would have been more interesting to me in a brighter pop of color. I hope Meghan decides to bring in other designers besides Clare Waight Keller of Givenchy -- enough of the white/cream dresses. Let's see some pop of color please. I loved both of the pale pink dresses (at the BP garden party and at TofC). Okay Meghan, settle in and be low-key until you get your sea legs, but please don't let who you are disappear so much.

Understandably, right now Meghan is busy behind-the-scenes with Harry planning out their royal engagements, among other heady tasks (the stuff re her father's poor choices likely is taking a backseat). M&H are gonna be quite busy over the next 6 months, as already mentioned by KP. Here's the latest (an upcoming visit to Dublin):
https://twitter.com/kensingtonroyal/status/1009002544360755200?s=21

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Here's a view of Meghan and Harry in action at Royal Ascot, handing out the trophies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80EVjnY_aTM

Meghan looks lovely and gracious. The hat works well really well with the styling of the dress. She looks appropriate for this event, and the look is fine. I am just underwhelmed when she goes with similar color styling so often (covered-up cream Givenchy with black accents in Cheshire -- covered-up Oscar de la Renta white with baby blue flowers messy country curtains look on Sunday, and covered-up all-over white with black accents at Royal Ascot, albeit the styling is very nice). I just find the all-over white at RA a bit underwhelming since Meghan has already worn a similar white/cream palette at recent prior events. In any case, it's clear that the royal ladies coordinate colors at public events where many of them are appearing together. Sophie Countess of Wessex and Prince Edward Earl of Wessex rode in the same carriage with Meghan and Harry (Duke & Duchess of Sussex). The Queen wore bright yellow; the Princess Royal wore soft cream; the Duchess of Cornwall was in a different shade of cream; Princess Beatrice was in baby blue and white; Princess Eugenie wore white; Princess Michael was in white and black; Meghan was in white with black accents, Sophie was in white with black accents. Correction: Sophie was in a very light blush pink with black accents.:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T6jbOpFctQ

I love, love the Stella McCartney white dress Meghan wore to her evening wedding celebration, but that white dress was iconic and stunning on Meghan. Her Givenchy wedding ceremony dress was elegantly styled, but it was the veil and the tiara which absolutely enhanced the dress and made her look exquisite. Again, I'm not in love with the idea of Meghan going way conservative and low-key with her last three similar palette looks possibly partly in reaction to OTT unwarranted criticism she received for wearing the pink Carolina Herrera boatneck outfit at TofC. But Meghan is smart, and she'll find her sea legs. She didn't walk into the marriage without her eyes being wide open and without understanding what the royal game and lifestyle are all about. And she's definitely showing how well she fits in. Her sartorial choices are still in transition. So the Dublin visit is next on her royal itinerary.

Last edited:

Lorac

@aftershocks we are just going to have to agree to disagree regarding the neck line of the TotC dress/outfit as it is clear we are never going to agree and I don't feel compelled to write a dissertation to again justify my point. What we can agree on - I hope - is that the colour was lovely.

On to her dress for her trip to Cheshire with HM. This time she went the other way with the neckline by wearing the cape style. I didn't like that part of the dress as I felt it constrained her arms too much. I did however like the cut and colour of the body of the dress. I believe you felt it was too muted and possibly plain. Well I suspect that has more to do with the fact that the Queen nearly always wears bold colours to a) stand out for the crowds and b) stand out so her protection detail can see her at all times as she is tiny and can get lost in a crowd. There is probably an unwritten rule that for daytime events that include walkabouts or crowds that other ladies in the royal part ensure they wear nothing to distract from the Queen. Meghan went for a plain light cream coloured dress that met that requirement but still was elegant.

I won't comment on the monstrosity she wore for the private family wedding. The less said the better IMO.

Now into the dress she wore yesterday. I think it was the best outfit yet since her wedding day. I give it 9.5 out of 10. My only change would have been to take the collar off and have a simple V neckline with similar embroidery to the body of the dress. But still it was gorgeous and suited her so well. And again the colour was probably more in reflection to not overshadow the Queen who was the only member of the royal party in a bold bright colour for the reasons I stated above.

Now I fully expect to see more colour when Meghan is on royal trips alone or with Harry as then she will be focus. And hopefully on the trip to Dublin we get to see an evening gown as well in which shoulders and necklines can be more on show. :)

Last edited:

skatesindreams

There is probably an unwritten rule that for daytime events that include walkabouts or crowds that other ladies in the royal part ensure they wear nothing to distract from the Queen. Meghan went for a plain light cream coloured dress that met that requirement but still was elegant.
This.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
@aftershocks we are just going to have to agree to disagree regarding the neck line of the TotC dress/outfit as it is clear we are never going to agree and I don't feel compelled to write a dissertation to again justify my point. What we can agree on - I hope - is that the colour was lovely.

On to her dress for her trip to Cheshire with HM. This time she went the other way with the neckline by wearing the cape style. I didn't like that part of the dress as I felt it constrained her arms too much. I did however like the cut and colour of the body of the dress. I believe you felt it was too muted and possibly plain. Well I suspect that has more to do with the fact that the Queen nearly always wears bold colours to a) stand out for the crowds and b) stand out so her protection detail can see her at all times as she is tiny and can get lost in a crowd. There is probably an unwritten rule that for daytime events that include walkabouts or crowds that other ladies in the royal part ensure they wear nothing to distract from the Queen. Meghan went for a plain light cream coloured dress that met that requirement but still was elegant.

I won't comment on the monstrosity she wore for the private family wedding. The less said the better IMO.

Now into the dress she wore yesterday. I think it was the best outfit yet since her wedding day. I give it 9.5 out of 10. My only change would have been to take the collar off and have a simple V neckline with similar embroidery to the body of the dress. But still it was gorgeous and suited her so well. And again the colour was probably more in reflection to not overshadow the Queen who was the only member of the royal party in a bold bright colour for the reasons I stated above.

Now I fully expect to see more colour when Meghan is on royal trips alone or with Harry as then she will be focus. And hopefully on the trip to Dublin we get to see an evening gown as well in which shoulders and neclibes can be more on show. :)

WTH is neclibes?

kittyjake5

I guess I am in the minority here I thought Meaghan’s dress had to much skirt. Otherwise she looked gorgeous.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
That is one gorgeous baby, and one beautiful mother. Kate has very few misses in her outfits. I don't know who is "guiding" Meghan but it would be good to get some advice. And, doesn't Kate make a point to buy her clothing from British designers / manufacturers? I noted that the curtains were from Givenchy. Not a comment on the dress simply a comment on public relations. Meghan would do well to have less movie star and more Royal Family expressed in her clothing.

Meghan is 5'7 - which is not tiny. She should be wonderful to dress.

Last edited:

Winnipeg

Do you expect him to die before his mother?

If he becomes king, you don't think people will like to point out what a horrible job they think he is doing? That will sell papers for awhile. And he won't be king very long- do you think interest will rekindle when William is?

No, I do not think he will die before his mother. I just thought maybe he would get passed by?

Yes, I think the interest would increase when William becomes king.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information