Royalty Thread #7: Do They Get Frequent Flier Miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Prince Charles was not married in the 70’s. He may have had a number of girl friends, but not mistresses.

Actually 'mistresses' is accurate because the ladies in question (Camilla Parker-Bowles and Dale 'Kanga' Tryon) were both married while Charles was having affairs with them both off and on. I started out describing them as girlfriends when I first posted the link, until I watched the documentary all the way through and realized :eek: Oh well, those were the 1970s days of aftermath of the Swingin' Sixties carried over into another decade.

It's really rather instructive with all of the description about "unwritten rules" regarding upper class British aristo marital affairs with the heir to the throne. :drama: For example, the one about Camilla knowing she could no longer carry on intimately with Charles after her marriage, because she had to first give birth to her husband's first child. But then some reasonable time after giving birth, it was perfectly okay to resume her affair with Charles. :duh: And of course, the cuckolded husbands were fine with it all because I guess there was supposed to be some status attached to allowing your wife to carry on an affair with the heir to the throne -- giving it up for king and country IOW.

I know that's just the way of upper class British life traditionally (going back for quite awhile). The roaring twenties and the jazz age were also very raucous periods. There are plenty of books and movies detailing the decadence. I'm not saying Prince Charles was decadent in the 1970s. I think his behavior was rather mild in comparison to his star-crossed relative, the Queen's cousin, the devilishly handsome Prince George, Duke of Kent, who was reportedly bisexual and a drug-addict. The royal family surely grieved but they may also have been relieved when he died in WWII during a top secret mission. OTOH, Prince Charles was simply needy emotionally, and he was also caught up in those younger days with being the 'most eligible bachelor in the world.' He followed along with the age-old aristocratic traditions, and he listened to his elders when they laid down the law on the necessity for him to marry a virgin, rather than propose to someone he truly loved.

For me at least, the documentary I linked (I came across it randomly on Youtube) is eye-opening because in looking back, a sea change happened (at least among the royal family) when a young innocent 19-year-old bride married Prince Charles because she was in love with love. She didn't apparently know anything about the unwritten rules of being the long-suffering wife and putting up with your royal husband carrying on with a long-term mistress. Royal wives from the past (especially Queen Alexandra) and the not so distant past (take your pick) suffered in silence. Diana changed the unwritten rules (at least in regard to how the royal family forever after viewed marriage, divorce, extra-marital affairs, fidelity, the benefits of marrying for love, the need to prepare young wives marrying into the family, etc).

Lorac

Trooping the Colour - the Queens official birthday - parade was today - glorious day in London for it.

Some pictures and video here though many more abound if you search for them. The great grandkids stole the show on the balcony appearance - clapping, cheering and waving at the fly past. The looks on their faces - as well as others including the Duchess of Sussex - was awestruck as the Red Arrows came over with their famous red, white and blue smoke trails.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44423824

I'll be honest and say I think the Duchess of Sussex was a little too risky with her off the shoulder dress - it was a lovely colour and cut but clearly she hadn't worn it during a carriage ride as it seemed to slip off the shoulder more than it should have. She also seemed to pull it up on the initial balcony appearance when they welcomed the monarch back to Buckingham Palace. The bare arms were also a little more than expected at an official occasion but she can pull it off. It will be interesting to see what she wears when she accompanies the Queen to Cheshire later on next week.

ballettmaus

I'll be honest and say I think the Duchess of Sussex was a little too risky with her off the shoulder dress - it was a lovely colour and cut but clearly she hadn't worn it during a carriage ride as it seemed to slip off the shoulder more than it should have. She also seemed to pull it up on the initial balcony appearance when they welcomed the monarch back to Buckingham Palace. The bare arms were also a little more than expected at an official occasion but she can pull it off. It will be interesting to see what she wears when she accompanies the Queen to Cheshire later on next week.

I love the dress but I thought her hat looked a little weird. Kind of like a flat Easter egg. I like Camilla's and Kate's outfits/colors, too.

Lorac

I have been stressed right out picking an appropriate outfit for Royal Ascot on the 21st.

Dress code here:

https://www.ascot.co.uk/what-to-wea...ascot/queen-anne-and-village-enclosure/ladies

Anyway, no Bardot tops, off the shoulder etc allowed so I got into an irrational rage seeing Meghan today. :lol:

She did look lovely though.

So she would have been turned away from the Royal enclosure with that outfit. I did find it interesting that she hung out at the back of the balcony for the fly over - I think she was a little nervous of the dress slipping again.

Anyways I'm sure you'll come up with an appropriate outfit for the Queen Anne Enclosure @SHARPIE and will look just lovely :)

mag

So she would have been turned away from the Royal enclosure with that outfit. I did find it interesting that she hung out at the back of the balcony for the fly over - I think she was a little nervous of the dress slipping again.

Anyways I'm sure you'll come up with an appropriate outfit for the Queen Anne Enclosure @SHARPIE and will look just lovely :)

I don’t think Meghan “hung back.” My understanding is that everyone knows exactly where they are to stand prior to going out. She is married to the 6th in line to the throne and is not the child of the reigning monarch (Andrew, Anne - not sure where Edward was.) I suspect being behind then Queen and slightly to her left was the best place for photos while still maintaining protocol.

aftershocks

Banned Member
@aftershocks, so Charles wasn't committing adultery in the 70's, the women were. Unfortunately that doesn't make his behavior that much better.

I didn't say Charles was committing adultery, just that Dale and Camilla were his 'mistresses,' which is how they are termed in the documentary I linked. :) Obviously it was the ladies who were committing adultery, and Charles was surely committing something himself too. ;) In any case, before the ladies were married, they could be deemed girlfriends, but that would only apply to Camilla who met Charles prior to marrying. Dale Tryon was already married when she met Prince Charles. Again, British upper-class marital affairs protocol has a very decadent history... There have been plenty of books, documentaries, and dramas on the subject.

Here's some various shots of BP Balcony today:
https://www.gettyimages.nl/search/2...y&events=775171454&family=editorial&sort=best

Meghan & Harry:
http://madaboutmeghan.blogspot.com/
http://meghansmirror.com/royal-style/meghan-attends-trooping-the-colour/
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/64876...18-meghan-markle-prince-harry-queen-birthday/

And this cute video of Savannah (Peter Phillips' older daughter) slapping her hand playfully over her cousin Prince George's mouth as he tries to sing :rofl:
https://mobile.twitter.com/Gertsroyals/status/1005422624917291008/photo/1

:lol: I seriously doubt that Meghan was at all nervous about her Caroline Herrera bespoke outfit 'slipping.' She wasn't nervous at her wedding and she was not nervous around the royals on BP balcony either. They are a family and none of us are privy to their intimate interactions behind the scenes. From all reports, the royals have warmly welcomed Meghan into the family, which is surely why she went out of her way to thank her new family members at her evening wedding reception.

If you look at the Getty pictures link, you will see shots of Meghan laughing and chatting with other members of the family on the balcony. The livesteam videos did not have good camera angles, but apparently some cameras and photographers did get great shots. I noticed that Camilla stood back next to Meghan chatting in a supportive way, while Prince Charles also stayed back a bit (everyone likely showing deference to the Queen). Prince Philip would normally be the one standing directly beside the Queen, and in his absence, the Queen seemed to slightly gesture to Charles to move forward, but he didn't. No one was being pushy or inappropriate. Why would they?

These OTT conversations about Meghan's every move, utterance, outfit, and interaction are fascinating because as usual, they say more about those of us doing the analyzing and over-interpreting than they do anything about Meghan herself. :lol: I include myself in that observation. :p

To be honest, the Duke & Duchess of Sussex look relaxed, well-rested and (as the Daily Mail likes to say) 'loved up,' after a honeymoon that was surely somewhere in the sun -- Meghan is definitely glowing. This picture certainly doesn't look like either M or H are nervous about anything: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfPdEhLX4AAusT-.jpg:large

Neither does this one:
https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incomi...e/ALTERNATES/s810/PAY-Trooping-the-Colour.jpg

Last edited:

Lorac

:lol:I seriously doubt that Meghan was at all nervous about her Caroline Herrera bespoke outfit 'slipping.' She wasn't nervous at her wedding and she was not nervous around the royals on BP balcony either. They are a family and none of us are privy to their intimate interactions behind the scenes. From all reports, the royals have warmly welcomed Meghan into the family, which is surely why she went out of her way to thank her new family members at her evening wedding reception.

If you look at the Getty pictures link, you will see shots of Meghan laughing and chatting with other members of the family on the balcony. The livesteam videos did not have good camera angles, but apparently some cameras and photographers did get great shots. I noticed that Camilla stood back next to Meghan chatting in a supportive way, while Prince Charles also stayed back a bit (everyone likely showing deference to the Queen). Prince Philip would normally be the one standing directly beside the Queen, and in his absence, the Queen seemed to slightly gesture to Charles to move forward, but he didn't. No one was being pushy or inappropriate. Why would they?

These OTT conversations about Meghan's every move, utterance, outfit, and interaction are fascinating because as usual, they say more about those of us doing the analyzing and over-interpreting than they do anything about Meghan herself. :lol: I include myself in that observation. :p

To be honest, the Duke & Duchess of Sussex look well-rested and (as the Daily Mail likes to say) 'loved up,' after a honeymoon that was surely somewhere in the sun -- Meghan is definitely glowing. This picture certainly doesn't look like either M or H are nervous about anything: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfPdEhLX4AAusT-.jpg:large

I suggest you go back and watch the initial balcony appearance - when the Royal Family not riding with the Queen come out to welcome the monarch back to the Palace. The Duchess of Sussex can clearly be seen pulling the front of her dress up as she stepped out. It had very clearly slipped down further than she intended. As she is the 4th lady of the court - behind the Queen, Duchess of Cornwall and Duchess of Cambridge - being a little further forward on the balcony would have been perfectly acceptable. And nowhere did I say she was pushy or inappropriate so unsure why you reference that in response to my comment.

You can - and have - throw sarcastic comments out all you like to people who don't agree with your comments but the dress she wore was risky and clearly caught her out - watch the carriage procession again as well - it slips down as the carriage is pulled along - again unintentially but it clearly happened.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I suggest you go back and watch the initial balcony appearance - when the Royal Family not riding with the Queen come out to welcome the monarch back to the Palace. The Duchess of Sussex can clearly be seen pulling the front of her dress up as she stepped out. It had very clearly slipped down further than she intended. As she is the 4th lady of the court - behind the Queen, Duchess of Cornwall and Duchess of Cambridge - being a little further forward on the balcony would have been perfectly acceptable. And nowhere did I say she was pushy or inappropriate so unsure why you reference that in response to my comment.

You can - and have - throw sarcastic comments out all you like to people who don't agree with your comments but the dress she wore was risky and clearly caught her out - watch the carriage procession again as well - it slips down as the carriage is pulled along - again unintentially but it clearly happened.

@Lorac, I'm being very sincere and straightforward in my comments. And as I always have to repeat, no one has to agree with me. It boggles my mind why anyone would think my comments mean you need to agree. I'm just telling you what I think. Obviously, you can and will believe whatever you desire about Meghan and the beautiful outfit she's wearing. It's not that important to check out the initial balcony appearance. But if you have a link to a specific video, you can provide it. Honestly, I have to say, you really seem fixated on Meghan's blazer top (it looks like a two-piece, not a dress) slipping down for some reason! :drama: Wishful thinking perhaps? (that's teasing, not sarcasm). While in the carriage, Meghan's hair was blowing a bit in the wind, but I never saw her top slipping down. :COP: My emojis are meant to be straightforward too, btw.

I can't wait till Meghan's next outing to see what behavior can be spied from her every gesture and mannerism. I'm not being sarcastic either, I'm being honest. Obviously, if we're interested in the royals, we may scrutinize them and think we are detecting something that may in fact not be what we think it is. They are human after all, and on public display to an inordinate degree. Fortunately for Meghan, she's had some experience being in the public eye and that's an asset. The rest of the royals are old pros by now. We can speculate, but as I said, we surely can't know everything about their personal interactions. They are a larger-than-life family, but at bottom simply a family with human foibles, feelings, and aspirations. I choose to be inspired by the Duchess of Sussex, rather than overly critical.

There are differing opinions all over the Internet about Duchess Meghan and what she wears (not just today). In any case, quite a few people think she looks quite lovely. There have been a few of her outfits I wasn't all in on, or that would definitely not work for me, but she tends to carry everything off quite well, and she's gorgeous to boot. If Meghan is considered to be pushing some sartorial boundaries, then more power to her. She's certainly been fully accepted by the royal family and there's sure to be a lot more excitement to come. I'm going to relax and enjoy. :)

ETA:
Today's bateau neckline resembles not only Meghan's wedding dress but also the plaid blazer she wore in Wales.
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/prince-harry-shares-adorable-cheeky-190852419.html
The only style differences are a slight dip in the center of the pink outfit today, and also it has no sleeves on the lower arms. So I guess it's too much skin for some people? Her skin looks really glowing after spending some time in the sun on her honeymoon. Plus, it's a very warm summer day in London (a guard fainted in the heat). I personally see nothing wrong with Duchess Meghan's outfit, but to each their own.

Last edited:

Skittl1321

I guess all the dress code stuff confuses me. I know Royal Ascot is very picky, more than most events, but I wonder if they'd actually turn someone in the royal family away. The royals don't usually give them the opportunity.

But Eugenie's dress at the wedding was above the knee, and that wasn't "allowed". Surely she'd be aware of the requirements, and it didn't matter to her.

mag

I thought Camilla, Kate, and Meghan all looked lovely. I am in awe of the way Kate has perfected the photo op, and in case there is anything unclear about my comment, I mean it as a huge compliment. Dressing in her role and dressing for photos which will be viewed for generations to come is an extremely difficult job. While Kate has always been appropriate, she has, since the children have joined the photos, raised her game significantly. The cut, fit, and colour of her outfits and those of the children look fabulous in close up photos, in distance photos, moving and still. I suspect they also look great in real life.

Meghan looked lovely, but her outfit did not photograph quite as well, as Kate’s often didn’t early in her career. It will be interesting to watch Meghan’s style grow and she grows into her job.

Lorac

@Lorac, I'm being very sincere and straightforward in my comments. And as I always have to repeat, no one has to agree with me. It boggles my mind why anyone would think my comments mean you need to agree. I'm just telling you what I think. Obviously, you can and will believe whatever you desire about Meghan and the beautiful outfit she's wearing. It's not that important to check out the initial balcony appearance. But if you have a link to a specific video, you can provide it. Honestly, I have to say, you really seem fixated on Meghan's blazer top (it looks like a two-piece) slipping down for some reason! :drama: Wishful thinking perhaps? (that's teasing, not sarcasm). While in the carriage, Meghan's hair was blown a bit in the wind, but I never saw her top slipping down. :COP: My emojis are meant to be straightforward too, btw.

Actually I made a comment how I liked the colour and cut but that I was a little concerned with the fact that the dress - and it was a dress - clearly slipped down as the carriage procession progressed and I was worried it might embarrass her.

See the pictures in the Daily Mail link which show how the dress has moved drastically down her arms from when she arrived at the palace in the car prior to the ceremony to when she is in the carriage and then on the Buckingham Palace balcony.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...egal-enjoys-Trooping-Colour-Prince-Harry.html

As I said the colour was gorgeous and the cut of the dress itself was fabulous and suited her. If I show concern for a possible embarrassing incident well I'm sorry you see it as some sort of fixation.

PDilemma

I guess all the dress code stuff confuses me. I know Royal Ascot is very picky, more than most events, but I wonder if they'd actually turn someone in the royal family away. The royals don't usually give them the opportunity.

But Eugenie's dress at the wedding was above the knee, and that wasn't "allowed". Surely she'd be aware of the requirements, and it didn't matter to her.

In general, there is not a dress code for the royal family. There would not have been one for the wedding nor for today's event. The royal box at Ascot is an exception, not the rule. However, there are traditional or customary ways of dressing for certain types of events and in general--hence we don't see strapless wedding gowns on royal brides or mini skirts at Trooping of the Colour ( nor sleeveless off the shoulder dresses until today). Eugenie did nothing wrong at the wedding as there was no rule other than the traditional/customary manner of dress for both English and Royal weddings.

I think the notion of complex and rigid royal dress codes comes from three places:

1-The Queen's own style of dress in her later years has become very predictable and staid. But when looking at this one must remember the era she comes from and her age rather than assume that she is especially conservative or would push her own style of dress on younger family members.
2-In the past, there were more events involving royalty that did involve complex and rigid dress codes, most notably presentations at court. Because of that, there is some assumption that dress codes remain at least for family members.
3-The press popularized the notion during Diana's time which was more or less part of their painting her as both a martyr/victim and revolutionary figure. In reality, no rigid dress codes were imposed on her so she never broke them.

ballettmaus

See the pictures in the Daily Mail link which show how the dress has moved drastically down her arms from when she arrived at the palace in the car prior to the ceremony to when she is in the carriage and then on the Buckingham Palace balcony.

That it moved down her arm doesn't have to mean that it was about to slip though. It could have been cut in a manner so that even though the sleeves slip, the front stays up and even if not, I'm sure that Meghan as someone who has red-carpet experience, knows all about fashion tape. :)

aftershocks

Banned Member
Actually I made a comment how I liked the colour and cut but that I was a little concerned with the fact that the dress - and it was a dress - clearly slipped down as the carriage procession progressed and I was worried it might embarrass her.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...egal-enjoys-Trooping-Colour-Prince-Harry.html

As I said the colour was gorgeous and the cut of the dress itself was fabulous and suited her. If I show concern for a possible embarrassing incident well I'm sorry you see it as some sort of fixation.

Thanks for the link, but unfortunately that sight is horrible with pop-ups and ads, not to mention blaring OTT headlines and clueless comments by trolls. In any case, the website is not loading properly. I don't see anything in the video attached to the article, and all the pictures aren't loading at the moment. There are plenty of pictures that I've linked already from a number of sources. The picture of Meghan in the car (Mad About Meghan site), does make it seem as if the top is closer around her shoulders, but I think that's an optical illusion from the angle we see her sitting in the car. We can't see a clearly visible picture of her through the car window.

But even if the sides of her top did move down slightly, the sides are still hugging her shoulders. The top is styled to dip down slightly in the middle of the bodice, so it naturally shows a bit more skin at her neckline and her shoulder blades than her wedding dress and the plaid blazer did. Again, so what? It's a hot summer day and she's clearly coming back from a vacation in the sun. She's not showing huge amounts of skin. It's not a plunging neckline, and her shoulders actually are mostly covered. You can barely see any part of her shoulders, mostly the shoulder blades and an expanse of neckline. I'm not even sure why this is a topic of conversation. But it is for some reason, and not just here.

In any case, I don't think you should be concerned about an 'embarrassing incident' in connection with what Meghan is wearing. That really seems unnecessary IMO. Maybe you are recalling what happened to Gabriella in her Pyeongchang sp? ;) I didn't see any hint of that kind of situation happening here. Not even close. Meghan strikes me as a very strong person, and she has a lot of staff and mentoring assistance in her role as Duchess of Sussex. She probably has help getting dressed too, and this is a bespoke/ custom made outfit by a top designer. Plus, Meghan definitely has Prince Harry by her side. Like Prince Harry said in the engagement interview, "When we met ... all the stars were aligned... I know that Meghan will be really unbelievably good at the job part of it. She'll be able to deal with everything that comes with it. We're a fantastic team. We know we are." :)

The outfit is definitely being described as a dress in various sources, so maybe it is attached. But from waist up pictures on BP balcony, the outfit clearly looks like a two-piece with a top that buttons up and can probably be removed like a jacket. Check out pictures 2 and 3 in the below article where Meghan is laughing with Harry. The top of the dress can clearly be seen as a separate that opens via the buttons. The buttons have visible buttonholes.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/64876...18-meghan-markle-prince-harry-queen-birthday/

Last edited:

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
Meghan's outfit clearly looks like a 2-piece to me, not that that makes any difference. It's like the people who waste your time going "was it Tuesday or Wednesday?" like someone gives a sh*t. The outfit was beautiful IMHO. I liked Kate's too but wasn't crazy about her or Camilla's hats. I usually love QEII's outfits but this one was a little too monochromatic to me.

skatesindreams

Meghan's outfit clearly looks like a 2-piece to me, not that that makes any difference. It's like the people who waste your time going "was it Tuesday or Wednesday?" like someone gives a sh*t. The outfit was beautiful

I agree.
Perhaps, the Duchess of Sussex will be a part of modernizing such protocols.
I'm sure that if the Royal Family found her attire improper or embarrassing, she would have been told beforehand.
I believe these things are coordinated in advance of the event with those involved; especially for the "senior" Royals.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Eh, there's a picture of Sophie Countess of Wessex wearing a very similar bodice-baring style (pink dress with a V bodice showing a slight bit of her cleavage too) at 2011 Trooping of the Colour. Sophie looked stunning. Her hat was fab! Link is posted in Meg & Harry wedding thread. 'Sophie's choice' was not discussed ad infinitum back then as a possible breach of protocol, I'll bet. ;)

Moving on, the Duchess of Cambridge, kids and cousins watched Prince William play polo today. It's fun to see these pics of Prince George and Princess Charlotte having fun running around on a summer day. Rare pics because their parents don't want them on public display on a daily basis. Dear little George resembles his Grandpa Middleton so much, aside from his blonde hair. :) Princess Charlotte has such a delightful personality. She seems like a dainty, confident little grownup lady who knows her own mind at three years of age:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...lotte-had-blast-william-polo-match/689331002/

There's also a ton of pics on Getty images and other sites.

ETA:
Duchess Kate was also with George and Charlotte (sans Prince Wiliiam) at the Houghton horse trials which took place at the end of May, prior to the polo match outing. Apparently Kate often attends this horse trial event with her children:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa_9YMye1UM

http://fromberkshiretobuckingham.blogspot.com/2018/05/kate-takes-george-charlotte-to-houghton.html

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/princess-charlotte-tucks-ice-cream-12611303

Prince George seemed mesmerized by a Dalmatian that walked past with its owner... :)

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I agree.
Perhaps, the Duchess of Sussex will be a part of modernizing such protocols.
I'm sure that if the Royal Family found her attire improper or embarrassing, she would have been told beforehand.
I believe these things are coordinated in advance of the event with those involved; especially for the "senior" Royals.

IMO - the dress is gorgeous.....the best dress I have seen her wear.

Having said that.............Trying to impact, modernize, change, upgrade the Royals the protocals when you have been a royal for 10 minutes is not the best strategy.
Many of the "rules" and "conventions" have to do with insuring that you don't have an oops! You want to wear a skirt that is full enough so you can get in and out of cars easily. Don't wear a full skirt in windy conditions (Kate found that out). And wear things that don't have a chance to expose the Royal Bosum. Meghan was clearly pulling that dress up.

I hope she keeps her eye on the ball, and does her bit to fit in, rather than trying to blaze a trail out of the gate. May have worked for Justify........not so much in the Royal Box.

Did you now that the Queen wears hats because she grew up in an era when ladies wore hats. Helps keep the sun out of your eyes. You never wear your hat indoors after 6:00 PM. And gloves are a must when shaking lots of hands to keep the germs away.

I just love rules!

Reactions: mag

Lorac

Great pictures, but this article is such a pile of :lol: tosh from the Daily Mail.

What Kate's beaming smiles tells us about her friendship with Meghan

https://dailym.ai/2HFDczD

It actually has quite amused me at this stupid hour of the day!

It was a totally inarticulate and random pile of tosh. Just random thoughts and full of assumptions based on absolutely nothing.

But the pictures are fabulous and Charlotte once more stole the show with her antics. And the Kate looked so relaxed and happy and full of life.

Last edited:

PDilemma

So if Meghan has children she will be copying Kate? What a bizarre article...

Of course not. Her children will be a breath of fresh air who will be revolutionizing the monarchy by their very existence. This will be proven by them having less traditional names than William & Kate's children. Which will, of course, be because they will be 7th and lower in line to the throne (assuming William & Kate don't have a fourth, which would not surprise me), but the media will not notice or understand that. Just as Anne got to name her kids totally non-traditional names, Harry will not be obligated to be as traditional in naming.

The thing is, that Meghan is not going to change the monarchy. She and Harry are too far away from the throne to do so. Just as Andrew and his children have faded into the background, she and Harry eventually will as well.

skatesindreams

The thing is, that Meghan is not going to change the monarchy. She and Harry are too far away from the throne to do so.

I believe that they are already doing so, due to their relationship and marriage,
I doubt that they will ever "fade into the background"; even if you seem to wish they would!

Skittl1321

I believe that they are already doing so, due to their relationship and marriage,
I doubt that they will ever "fade into the background"; even if you seem to wish they would!

Really? Do you think that Meghan and Harry will be as prominent when William is King, George has (let's say) 3 children, Charlotte has 2 children, Louis has 4 children (or whatever)?

Harry is an extraordinarily popular royal, despite being far removed from the throne now (as that is quite recent), but it is hard to imagine him staying that way as the next generation grows up. Maybe he will be like Anne and do a phenomenal number of engagements, but the press attention will likely fade. I can't see his children getting near the attention William's do. George, Charlotte, and Louis will displace Harry in the press, just as they have in the succession.

And I really like Harry and Meghan.

Jenny

From the Bloc
I get the feeling that Harry would be just as happy if he got less attention. Not sure about Meghan though.

Agree that as William's kids grow up it will be very much about them, but I also believe that when William becomes king, Harry will be back in the spotlight at his brother's side, as his most trusted advisor and confidant, his surrogate, his right hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information