The Dance Hall 5: Ice Dance Fans 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twilight1

Will Dick Van Dyke play the grandpa? I don't know. Messing with Mary Poppins is like messing with The Wizard of Oz or Grease to me.

None will compare to the original

VGThuy

That's in case if rock operas will also be allowed, as officially they are not the same as musicals. At least I've never heard/read someone refer to them as musicals.

I guess the designation "Broadway" would make Tommy and American Idiot ok since they've all had Broadway productions. As for rock operas that are only concept albums and haven't had a stage or film adaptation (yet)...who knows?

Dobre

Agafanova & Ucar have retired. Their announcement is here:
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1898160720196124&id=338662142812664

Not surprised, especially as he was voted to be an athlete representative & someone posted afterward that he could not take the position yet until he had finished skating. I have always found Alper Ucar to be one of those people who always looks like he loves the sport.

My favorite memory of this team is their beautiful FD from last season:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHZd1pksJUM

MsZem

I see the sea
No ice dance Mary Poppins can possibly be as good as Mao Poppins.

Agafanova & Ucar have retired. Their announcement is here:
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1898160720196124&id=338662142812664

Not surprised, especially as he was voted to be an athlete representative & someone posted afterward that he could not take the position yet until he had finished skating. I have always found Alper Ucar to be one of those people who always looks like he loves the sport.

My favorite memory of this team is their beautiful FD from last season:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHZd1pksJUM
Ucar was, AFAIK, the oldest active competitor in ice dance, and had only switched from singles in his mid twenties. It's very impressive that he was able to find some measure of success nonetheless. His selection as athlete representative shows that his fellow skaters clearly hold him in high regard. Good luck to him and to Alisa in their future pursuits.

starrynight

Who is left at Detroit Skating Club now? Are all the top senior teams making their way elsewhere now? I had thought Pasquale would continue on there after Krylova returned to Russia.

RoseRed

Who is left at Detroit Skating Club now? Are all the top senior teams making their way elsewhere now? I had thought Pasquale would continue on there after Krylova returned to Russia.
Wasn't Krylova the more technical coach? He would need to find someone else to work with.

VGThuy

I honestly wish Marina and Igor and Camerlengo would just come together and form a super Detroit team to combat Montreal and a possible resurgence of Russia with Yuri and Yaro being developmental coaches to compete with the Washington Figure Skating Club. I know too much crap has happened that Marina and Igor will never be a thing again and I'm not sure how they feel about Pasquale, but imagining the battle between the super camps would be really fun to witness as an ice dance fan.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I honestly wish Marina and Igor and Camerlengo would just come together and form a super Detroit team to combat Montreal and a possible resurgence of Russia with Yuri and Yaro being developmental coaches to compete with the Washington Figure Skating Club. I know too much crap has happened that Marina and Igor will never be a thing again and I'm not sure how they feel about Pasquale, but imagining the battle between the super camps would be really fun to witness as an ice dance fan.

The Marvel vs. DC of skating. :D

VGThuy

There are a few out there. Many people are waiting to see what the Washington Figure Skating Club will do now that a few of their teams are seniors and a new Olympic cycle is starting with possibly some turnover from the top seniors.

Dobre

Per a poster on GS's projections, the following teams--in addition to those on the current top 24 SB list--are likely to be guaranteed one GP spot via top 24 World Standing:

McNamara & Carpenter
Lauriault & Le Gac
Nazarova & Nikitin
Wang & Liu
Carreira & Ponomarenko (should they choose to compete in seniors)
Skoptcova & Aleshin

Wasn't Krylova the more technical coach? He would need to find someone else to work with.

He was an ice dancer himself, and there are a lot of coaches at DSC. I wouldn't have thought it would be impossible for him to continue coaching there if he wants. He is well enough known as a choreographer, though, that if his passion lies in choreography, he can probably focus only on that or reteam with someone else who wishes to handle the technical focus if he wishes. We shall watch & see.:drama:

Perhaps. Or maybe a brand new non-Detroit based center will emerge. With a new vision. Curious to see what someone like Massimo or Fabian could do with their own program.

Scali, Margaglio, Fusar-Poli, Cappellini, Lanotte. I could easily see Italy becoming a center for dance in Western Europe.

Many people are waiting to see what the Washington Figure Skating Club will do now . . .

Probably the same thing they have been doing for years with their younger athletes. Kill you with basic technique and teams that stick together. A lot of learning and developing to be done at the senior level first maybe. Often new coaches lose a star team or two along the way. But Wheaton builds their own teams so my guess would be slowly & steadily & ultimately.

Dobre

If the Shibs continue, I hope Scali stays in Canton.

I don't see any reason to think he won't stay. He is young and is just starting to have some younger teams to travel with all on his own. (I enjoyed seeing him with Lewis & Bye at Junior Worlds). He always looks like he's having the most fun. Chattering with everyone. But Marina won't continue forever. She is sharing what she knows, and hopefully he and the other coaches that work under her will pass it on down to the next generation.

I just mean that Italy has obviously worked hard to send out their athletes & coaches to gain knowledge from the best dance experts they can. Ultimately, I would think that would pay off for the next generation of dancers in Italy. And I can't imagine that it wouldn't be nice for many of the European teams to train closer to home. Obviously, Barbara is working at it.

Last edited:

Vera Costa

What about Carreira/Ponomarenko? Should they stick with Igor? I was thinking that they could benefit from a move to Marina.

Debbie S

What about Carreira/Ponomarenko? Should they stick with Igor? I was thinking that they could benefit from a move to Marina.
Since Lewis/Bye are now with Marina, I don't think C/P would have any reason to move there. They seem to be progressing well each year. Time will tell how they progress in Senior.

clairecloutier

Since Lewis/Bye are now with Marina, I don't think C/P would have any reason to move there. They seem to be progressing well each year. Time will tell how they progress in Senior.

I just would like to see Carreira/Ponomarenko get more interesting programs and develop their personalities more. I've enjoyed their skating the last 2 seasons, but find their programs very bland. I know it's only juniors, but M/C and the Parsons had much more interesting programs as juniors than C/P have had. This is just not a strength of Igor's team at this point ... I agree with @VIETgrlTerifa that he needs some new creative energy and ideas in that group.

topaz

To my knowledge Igor has used outside choreographers for a long time, ie. Chock/Bates have used several choreographers over the last few seasons.

chapis

But people say that Igor always modifies those choreographies, I don´t know if that is true.

chameleonster

But people say that Igor always modifies those choreographies, I don´t know if that is true.
I imagine every coach tweaks choreography over the season based on feedback, getting the levels, etc. Based on photo shoots, it seems that C/B had the same opening pose as Savchenko/Massot for awhile.

chapis

I imagine every coach tweaks choreography over the season based on feedback, getting the levels, etc. Based on photo shoots, it seems that C/B had the same opening pose as Savchenko/Massot for awhile.

Yes, but it is implied that Igor basically changes all the program, lol. By the way, I loved that pose for C/B.

VGThuy

I still think a good in-house artistic coach would be great even if Igor's teams use outside choreographers because they'd have somebody there every day continuing to make tweaks, look at the movement, look at the program as a whole and work with Igor and get his input with the elements and technical requirements/skater's ability and stamina, to make it all work together.

I think a lot of the best coaches end up tweaking and changing outside choreography because once the season starts they are responsible for making sure it's a great competitive program that maximizes all the points while being "entertaining" and "engaging". For Igor, I think there needs to be someone on the level of Camerlengo at least to help with that like he had with Marina in the past. Even if some fans still don't like it, at least it would be more than just arm flailing and extraneous movement not meaning anything that Igor tends to be guilty of when he feels like he needs to fill space in-between elements with choreography.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information