The Dance Hall 5: Ice Dance Fans 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninalovesskating

The dancers at the Warsaw cup podium is the same as the dancers at the 2015 world junior championship podium. Same people (except for Sergey's partner) and exactly the same placements. I've never seen this happen before.

mollymgr

G/F are completely invisible on the ice. I saw them live last spring at worlds and have no idea how they skated or what kind of programs they had. In fact, I actually had to go and check the result page to see whether they actually were there or not.

They need more personality and interaction with the crowd.
I just remember the Nutcracker cuts were so ridiculous.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khC4SMqzS5M
That and the piano keys music sheet dress. The hand/crotch lift. Unfortunately, I mostly remember them for weird things in their program.:lol::drama:

MsZem

I see the sea
I just remember the Nutcracker cuts were so ridiculous.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khC4SMqzS5M
That and the piano keys music sheet dress. The hand/crotch lift. Unfortunately, I mostly remember them for weird things in their program.:lol::drama:
Those costumes are tragic. There is such a thing as being too literal, even in a discipline not noted for subtlety.

G/F do have some nice qualities. They are simply in desperate need of better packaging. Maybe sending them to Zimmerman, Fontana and Kerr could help?

mysticchic

One thing about ice dance this season, was outside the top 3 seeds, there was some drama who would make the final. We even got to use math for the 5 and 6th seed.
correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't it been a while since 24 points got the 5th seed into the final and with math?
I'm excited that 1-2 for the Os will be decided on the ice again, and the top 9 could all have a chance for bronze. But it is looking like we have some awesome front runners for the bronze. H&D, S&B, W&P (if they can get healthy and work on issues), Shibs, C&L, Bukin (long shot), C&B (they will need to change those programs. Their lifts are great, but they are making a great case of being USA 3).
Nationals will be interesting in the US because any 3 could win. Canada, V&M will win, but will Wepo be healthy enough to beat Piper and Paul (they need a lot of work on their programs), Russia nationals B&S and now Bukin. Very outside chance is Viknik.
Lots of up and comers for the next quad. H&B, P&P, the US has a very deep field coming up. So sad about Canada. The top 3 are so solids, the rest deserted. Russia has a pretty good field. But they only concentrate on a select few teams.
It will be interesting for retirements this year. I expect C&B, C&L, V&M, W&P, B&S, Smart (I'm sure she will find another partner) and Diaz, Combs and Buckland, Tobis (married and to work with charities per the family she has married into) to retire.
Unknown retirements, H&D(they are both 26. They might stay a year or so, but funding is very hard to stay in Canada. FYI get your stockings. They are beautiful https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/AndAllThruTheHouse?)ref=search_shop_redirect, Viknik, Chris Reed, Shibs (but I think Miai may stay if she can find the right partner). Shibs may stay a year or 2 more for a world championship.

Feel free to add to my list.

caseyedwards

It would truly be sabotage at this point if Russia had B/S be champions every year they competed from 2011 on and decided to go with S/B this year! No one can deny b/s are having a horrendous failure of a season though with both mentally checked out and retiring! So maybe it will be S/B! Bad season was true in 2013-2014 of BS but they still won nationals. Their opponents were untrustworthy IK who didn’t even medal in their first gp event so they weren’t worth dumping B/S for. S/B aren’t really worth dumping B/S either.

Last edited:

lauravvv

Chock and Bates? or Coomes and Buckland?
Chock/Bates, as far as I know. But that interview was done in the middle of last season, unless there is a new one in which they or one of them have/has said that. I think there hasn't really been a reason for them to change their minds since then, but they may still change their minds depending on their placements this season, as well as on which of the two other US top teams retire or don't retire.

GreenGan

The only teams that I can see retiring are C/L, V/M and B/S. Maybe W/P will stay one more year but I doubt that.
G/F will certainly stay, as will H/D, the Shibs and Ch/Ba. I had thought about Co/Bu but they're finally getting a season without injuries and they are still young enough (28/28) for at least 2 seasons.. Depends on them.

chameleonster

To my knowledge, none of the top teams have fully committed to retiring, although a few have indicated that it's likely. We can make guesses, but its hard for even the teams themselves to know how they'll feel at the end of the season.

chapis

I know that V/M will retire, but they will participate in Worlds 2018?

It will also be interesting to see who will be accepted in the Gadbois team when V/M retire, I imagine that the list of applicants will be long, it will be more difficult than entering Harvard.

Last edited:

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !

It will also be interesting to see who will be accepted in the Gadbois team when V/M retire, I imagine that the list of applicants will be long, it will be more difficult than entering Harvard.
:rofl: I can only imagine the entry exam with Romain facial expressions making the candidate sweat bullets and Patch just looking all silent like a yoda master while chatty MFD play the good cop but tricks you with some really profound questions about your inner artistic self.

Anyasnake

I think Zahorski/Guerrero would be great if S/B, L/D, or S/S dont.
I was thinking about a Russian team too ! Actually since Tiffany and Gaby are long time friends it could go this way.
My mind was more on the young S/S... or maybe a young team from an "untypical" country for ice dance ? A chinese team for Beijing 2022 ? That would be a great idea, there is this one team I saw in Coc, Chen/Zhao who seemed to have a lot of potential.

RoseRed

To my knowledge, none of the top teams have fully committed to retiring, although a few have indicated that it's likely. We can make guesses, but its hard for even the teams themselves to know how they'll feel at the end of the season.
Tessa and Scott have started talking about their last Skate Canada, last regular GP event, so that's confirmed.

When they were asked about it last year, Scott said they hadn't decided. I know they said they were glad they didn't after Sochi because they got to enjoy lots of fun opportunities that happened right after the Games. But when Scott mentioned that they hadn't decided, he said something along the lines of "it's hard to pass up one last chance to compete the programs".

Marta24

I doubt we will ever see a Russian team training in Canada. Although, Gadbois would be a great fit for Shpilevaya/Smirnov or Polishchuk/Vakhnov. I wonder if they would take Carreira/Ponomarenko, I think that would also work really well.

chapis

I doubt we will ever see a Russian team training in Canada. Although, Gadbois would be a great fit for Shpilevaya/Smirnov or Polishchuk/Vakhnov. I wonder if they would take Carreira/Ponomarenko, I think that would also work really well.

yes, I think C/P or Chock/Bates will move to Montreal.

shan

What is Carreira's citizenship status? isn't she Canadian?

caseyedwards

I was thinking about a Russian team too ! Actually since Tiffany and Gaby are long time friends it could go this way.
My mind was more on the young S/S... or maybe a young team from an "untypical" country for ice dance ? A chinese team for Beijing 2022 ? That would be a great idea, there is this one team I saw in Coc, Chen/Zhao who seemed to have a lot of potential.

Z/g are also used to traveling and being country hoppers.

I’m sure china would want a team in! They do what’s necessary. Like hiring Lori Nichol to choreograph.

I would love that. Also N N

N/N would be good.

But Russia knows that with no team in gpf, no olympic medal and no world medal if it wants an ice dance program anymore It must send teams to Canada or US or more specifically Gadbois. It’s perfectly understandable why Russia would be dismantling its dance program as it wants more and more resources to ladies but if it’s not dismantling its dance program sending a team to dubreuil is the only thing that makes sense!

Anyasnake

yes, I think C/P or Chock/Bates will move to Montreal.
I thought about Chock/Bates, but I don't see 2 US top teams going there. C/P maybe. But I think she'll take someone she can "build from scratch" like a very young team OR another asian team to balance out nationalities (they have FRA CAN USA GBR JPN DEN ESP... they could use one more asian team).

Last edited:

chapis

I thought about Chock/Bates, but I don't see 2 US top teams going there. C/P maybe. But I think she'll take someone she can "build from scratch" like a very young team OR another asian team to balance out nationalities (they have FRA CAN USA GBR JPN DEN ESP... they could use one more asian team).

I just do not imagine that they deny acceptance to a team of their claiber, especially because it seems they handled the rivalry of P/C and V/M enough well. but maybe you are right.

Last edited:

Anyasnake

I just do not imagine that they deny acceptance to a team of their claiber, but maybe you are right.
Didn't they denied WeaPo when they wanted to change coaches ? That's understandable though... CAN#1 and #2 plus FRA#1 and USA#3 would have been too much.
And strategically I'll take "younger" teams with potential so that your camp has longevity instead of having "empty" seasons. I can see 2 or 3 teams in Gadbois who looks polished (1 GBR and 2 CAN).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information