The Dance Hall 5: Ice Dance Fans 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

love skating

Clueless American
I have a question - I know for the rumba section of the SD there are 3 key points which determine the level. I get that Y means yes and N means no for whether they hit those key points or not on the protocol but what does T mean? I noticed G&F got a T in the SD. Just curious.

firstflight

G/F lost a point in the FD PCS compared to Rostelecom Cup, while S/B almost scored the exact same in the PCS. So far, the pecking order is maintained- S/B ahead of G/F. Of course, we've seen changes at Worlds from the pecking order up to then, so the Olympics could still have some surprises.

At Skate America, I am very curious to see what happens head-to-head between S/K and G/P--- S/K's score at NHK was almost 5 points higher than G/P's Rostelecom total. Finishing fourth at Skate America would be a pretty discouraging result for G/P, I would imagine.... it would indicate that they've stagnated while others moved ahead of them, or worse-- that they are going backwards in ranking.

Amantide

Finishing fourth at Skate America would be a pretty discouraging result for G/P, I would imagine.... it would indicate that they've stagnated while others moved ahead of them, or worse-- that they are going backwards in ranking.

And they had a good chance to move forward, given that W&P have been having some issues in the last 2 seasons.

Areski

G/F lost a point in the FD PCS compared to Rostelecom Cup, while S/B almost scored the exact same in the PCS. So far, the pecking order is maintained- S/B ahead of G/F. Of course, we've seen changes at Worlds from the pecking order up to then, so the Olympics could still have some surprises.

At Skate America, I am very curious to see what happens head-to-head between S/K and G/P--- S/K's score at NHK was almost 5 points higher than G/P's Rostelecom total. Finishing fourth at Skate America would be a pretty discouraging result for G/P, I would imagine.... it would indicate that they've stagnated while others moved ahead of them, or worse-- that they are going backwards in ranking.

I assume that Piper & Paul addressed some of their issues in that time before GP events. They should score better - that's my prediction. But yeah ... 4th place again would be disheartening for them (and for me as I sympathize with them). Their programs struck me as uncharacteristically lacklustre so far, (and that was not only my impression) so maybe some choreographic & slight musical metamorphosis is going to improve that factor like in the past.

firstflight

I assume that Piper & Paul addressed some of their issues in that time before GP events. They should score better - that's my prediction. But yeah ... 4th place again would be disheartening for them (and for me as I sympathize with them). Their programs struck me as uncharacteristically lacklustre so far, (and that was not only my impression) so maybe some choreographic & slight musical metamorphosis is going to improve that factor like in the past.

I loved their Tango last season, and they were clearly ahead of Stepanova/Bukin last season. If S/B have indeed made that jump ahead of G/P-- and you're right, we need wait to make that guess because G/P could indeed score much higher at Skate America than at Rostelecom Cup-- then they would be in tenth place if everyone skates cleanly at the Olympics.

We know that everyone skating clean is very unlikely to happen, and they certainly benefited from Zach's huge FD mistake to finish up a spot at 8th instead of 9th at Worlds last season. But it's also true that G/P benefit from only two Russian teams qualifying for the Olympics, so they have one less competitor to beat to stay in the top 10.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
HERE THIS THREAD IS!!!!!

OK, Mr AngieNikodinovLove needs to vent!

How are Guinard & Fabbri NOT World Champions?

For the last 2/3 years I Rewatch their programs over and over and over and over..... How are they getting 101 for this free?

There are some other teams in this last group today that I will fast forward through because they do nothing for me (No, not Stepanova & Bukin, I love them too)

But I need to vent.... I admit I do not know a lot of technical stuff... edges, coverage of ice... can someone educate me on this if you have a moment? Why are W&P and some USA teams ahead of this stellar team? IMO I think they are so superior. Id like to understand it a bit ... because in my eyes G&F are like World Champs!!!!!!

To see program of this caliber get 101 is an insult to me. This program will be one I watching til next summer.

Anyasnake

HERE THIS THREAD IS!!!!!

For the last 2/3 years I Rewatch their programs over and over and over and over..... How are they getting 101 for this free?

There are some other teams in this last group today that I will fast forward through because they do nothing for me (No, not Stepanova & Bukin, I love them too)

But I need to vent.... I admit I do not know a lot of technical stuff... edges, coverage of ice... can someone educate me on this if you have a moment? Why are W&P and some USA teams ahead of this stellar team? Id like to understand it a bit ... because in my eyes G&F are like World Champs!!!!!!
Guignard/Fabbri were outstanding today : lifts, twizzles, EVEN step sequences today were better than C/B and WeaPo. Their program had so much highlight, the steps were seamless, transitions not sloppy in comparaison. I don't get the 101 and certainly not the 50 PCS.
I would have had G/F and Step/Bukin in 2 and 3 on the FD. Both teams were that much better.

Miloune

HERE THIS THREAD IS!!!!!

But I need to vent.... I admit I do not know a lot of technical stuff... edges, coverage of ice... can someone educate me on this if you have a moment? Why are W&P and some USA teams ahead of this stellar team? IMO I think they are so superior. Id like to understand it a bit ... because in my eyes G&F are like World Champs!!!!!!

To see program of this caliber get 101 is an insult to me. This program will be one I watching til next summer.

Lol you're not alone in thinking that Guignard/Fabbri are under appreciated. Hélas! What are we to do! I hope that they'll get the scores they deserve by the end of the season.

RoseRed

A couple of interesting things to look at right now:

It'll be interesting to see the 3 US teams at the GPF. So far, the Shibs and H/D has nearly identical scores and C/B are somewhat behind (and they did not look impressed by their FD scores today).

GP Scores
  1. H/D — 189.43, 188.35
  2. S/S — 189.24
  3. C/B — 184.50, 181.85
And then, how do S/K score at SA? Because their score at NHK was very to S/B:

GP Scores
  1. B/S — 184.74
  2. S/B — 179.35, 177.24
  3. S/K — 177.15

firstflight

A couple of interesting things to look at right now:

It'll be interesting to see the 3 US teams at the GPF. So far, the Shibs and H/D has nearly identical scores and C/B are somewhat behind (and they did not look impressed by their FD scores today).

GP Scores
  1. H/D — 189.43, 188.35
  2. S/S — 189.24
  3. C/B — 184.50, 181.85
And then, how do S/K score at SA? Because their score at NHK was very to S/B:

GP Scores
  1. B/S — 184.74
  2. S/B — 179.35, 177.24
  3. S/K — 177.15

I just don't get how S/K getting up to and beating S/B's PCS *this* season is a thing. They were messy/lacking polish at NHK, especially in the FD, but were still rewarded with lots of 9's.

Dobre

At this level I would expect the top 8 teams to have level4 no matter what.

Well, they didn't the last time we had the rhumba pattern. Not Virtue & Moir. Not Davis & White. Not Bobrova & Soloviev, the Shibs, or Cappellini & Lanotte.

Skate Canada remains the outlier, with six level fours handed out. The other GP events have handed out only 2-3. (And not all to top teams. It's a compulsory pattern. The last time we had two run-throughs of the compulsory pattern was the Ravensburger Waltz, and no one earned level 4s on both patterns until the fourth GP event). It was extremely common, even at Worlds, to see teams with both at 3 and a 4 for the pattern during the same skate. So it's pretty likely that we're going to get some 3s & 4s from top teams in different competitions.

Last edited:

Nmsis

The first person who underestimates Guignard / Fabbri is their coach.

Charlène Guignard is the first ice-dancer that made me realize rock music was totally appropriate for ice dance as long as the dancers knew how to make it work.
She was fab on The Cranberries' Zombie in junior.
Her partner was far too stiff but she was so into it.
Of course, a few seconds later after I saw them, I saw Blanc / Bouquet on Mademoiselle K's Ca me vexe in senior and that finished to convince me that ice dance was really missing something.

From that time, I've been missing the Charlene from Zombie.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
I too was disappointed about Gabbri/Guignard results, especially their PCS. They are polished, fast, great twizzles. I don't get it. They've made steady progress and frankly I think they have better SS than C/L. They might need to get better programs though. Muse is a bit bland, they have a lot of personality.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
IMO they are good skaters, but that FD isn't doing Guignard and Fabri any favors. It's a music requiring long lines, that they don't have.
They should try the rock because I agree, it would suit them a lot better.

Areski

HERE THIS THREAD IS!!!!!

I agree ... Charlene & Marco are really underappreciated in their scores. It's a matter of recognition though as I believe, judges just react with a delay to improvements of lower ranked teams as in "wait your turn" habit. I would like to add that I was impressed by their lifts too, they're difficult and executed with superb quality, all that despite the fact that their difference of height is small. He must be very strong physically. Better here than any other team here bar P/C, I liked G/F program the most though perhaps because they exceed my expectations. Even overused music cannot bother me.

Last edited:

Anyasnake

I agree ... Charlene & Marco are really underappreciated in their scores. It's a matter of recognition though as I believe, judges just react with a delay to improvements of lower ranked teams as in "wait your turn" habit. I would like to add that I was impressed by their lifts too, they're difficult and executed with superb quality, all that despite the fact that their difference of height is small. He must be very strong physically. Better here than any other team here bar P/C, I liked G/F program the most though perhaps because they exceed my expectations. Even overused music cannot bother me.
This is exactly how I feel, the music didn't bother me at all (even if it's "overused" it's still beautiful). It was sharp at times, and when needed, more delicate. Their Cist was just incredible in terms of edges. They were great highlights through the whole FD, very athletic but VERY clean. I am just impressed. Bravo to them.

MsZem

I see the sea
G/F, at the moment, are forgettable. There are better teams in terms of flow, intricacy, choreography, and musicality. My first time seeing them live, they were doing R&J. They have since skated to Lord of the Dance, Schindler's List (which was awful), The Nutcracker and now Exogenesis. None of this is original. Most of it doesn't play to their strengths. None of it makes them stand out, and in a crowded field, they really need that differentiation. Maybe Nmsis is on target with the rock suggestion, or something with a bit more of an edge.

Charlene and Marco might be able to move up post-Olympics, but I given who the current podium contenders are, I don't see how they match up.

Enchanted

G/F are completely invisible on the ice. I saw them live last spring at worlds and have no idea how they skated or what kind of programs they had. In fact, I actually had to go and check the result page to see whether they actually were there or not.

They need more personality and interaction with the crowd.

AquaLady

While I'm devastated for Kaitlyn and Andrew, I'm thrilled to see Stepanova/Bukin step up their game! 2 Grand Prix podium finishes! Hope they end up being national champions this season!

Can't wait to see Madi and Zach at GPF. I believe they have the material and the capability to get on that podium...:cheer2:

Nmsis

G/F, at the moment, are forgettable.... None of it makes them stand out, and in a crowded field, they really need that differentiation... or something with a bit more of an edge.
In 2007-2008, Guignard / Paulmier were skating their FD on The Cranberries, the year after, it was a Bollywood dance (it was the year after Blanc/Bouquet and Maureen Ibanez / Neil Brown started the trend ... to be precise, young Blanc/Bouquet skated a part of their 2004-2005 FD to a Bollywood song, which probably gave a green light to this kind of music in the mind of french dancers / coaches)

At the time, I never thought Charlene's career would be made of Romeo and Juliet, Lord of the Dance, The Four Seasons or The Schindler's List.
She was maybe not a trend setter, but she was definitly not stuck in ice dance clichés and she was perfectly suited to go on that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information