Detroit selected to host 2019 U.S. Figure Skating Championships

Sylvia

It's Montreal Worlds week!
Official today: http://www.usfsa.org/story?id=91013&type=media
(11/9/17) -- U.S. Figure Skating announced the selection of Detroit, Michigan, as the host city for the 2019 U.S. Figure Skating Championships, Jan. 19-27, 2019. All junior free skate/dance and championship level events will be held at the newly opened Little Caesars Arena and all junior short programs/dance, novice, intermediate and juvenile events will take place at the Detroit Skating Club.
U.S. Figure Skating will plan the 2019 U.S. Championships with support locally from the Detroit Sports Commission, 313 Presents and the Detroit Skating Club.

BittyBug

Disgusted
Ugh. Love that it's in Detroit but hate that so many of the non-senior events are in Bloomfield Hills. I guess it will all come down to the schedule.

mattiecat13

It's a tough decision between Skate America 2018, GPF in Vancouver and 2019 Nationals in Detroit. Anyone know when the location for Skate America will be announced? I'd like to know that before I make a decision.

acraven

It looks as if the closest People Mover stop is at Grand Circus, possibly just under 1/2 mile from Little Caesars Arena, depending on where the entry doors are. That could be a cold, windy walk in January--though typically not as bad as in St. Paul. In addition, unless something has changed, the People Mover stations are not enclosed.

We need a shuttle!

aftershocks

Banned Member
Everywhere in the midwest except Cleveland. Nationals hasn't been back to Cleveland in nine years. Has Cleveland at least been making bids? We have a lot of new hotel space, but maybe the issue is distance away between the downtown arena and the supplementary rink in Lakewood? But it's probably not that far compared to rink distances in other locales. I guess there hasn't been a concerted effort to bring Nationals back to Cleveland.

Last edited:

purple skates

Shadow Dancing
It looks as if the closest People Mover stop is at Grand Circus, possibly just under 1/2 mile from Little Caesars Arena, depending on where the entry doors are. That could be a cold, windy walk in January--though typically not as bad as in St. Paul. In addition, unless something has changed, the People Mover stations are not enclosed.

We need a shuttle!

The new QLine (which runs on Woodward Ave) serves Little Caesar’s Arena, and you can get to it from the People Mover, I believe. I haven’t been downtown since it opened so I have no experience with it.

acraven

Thanks, purple skates. Any logistical help is appreciated. I'm trying to figure a solution that's relatively simple and doesn't involve taking taxis back and forth. But having spent 4 winters in Michigan during my college years, I know how cold it can be when you're standing around outside, waiting on transportation.

I see that there are at least a few food establishments up Woodward Avenue, so the QLine might be helpful at mealtime, too.

Last edited:

purple skates

Shadow Dancing
I hear that the arena itself is more like an entertainment complex, with restaurants and lots of businesses in the area. Again, I haven’t been there so no first hand experience. At $85/ticket for Red Wings, it’s unlikely I’ll be there any time soon. I’d rather spend the money on skating lessons. :lol:

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
YAY, I can drive there! :D Its been a while since I've been able to drive to US Nats (Cleveland 2009 was the only time I was able to drive and it was WONDERFUL) so I'm definitely planning on being in Detroit. Not having to buy a plane ticket will help make it affordable for me to attend 4CC in Colorado Springs too so yay for double skating trips for me in 2019! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

jkl

YAY, I can drive there! :D Its been a while since I've been able to drive to US Nats (Cleveland 2009 was the only time I was able to drive and it was WONDERFUL) so I'm definitely planning on being in Detroit. Not having to buy a plane ticket will help make it affordable for me to attend 4CC in Colorado Springs too so yay for double skating trips for me in 2019! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

HeatherC. I read that 4CC has been moved to Anaheim. I read it on FSU so I know it is true.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
@HeatherC. Sorry I am tired. I tried to type that 4CC is now in Anaheim.

What?! When did that happen and how did I miss it? I know I've been busy and not on here as much but dang it, that makes things more challenging. I might still have to make it work though because I've never been to Anaheim. I'll have to see. Hmmmm..... :yikes:

Debbie S

I wore my light jacket during 2013 SA. ;) Nats in Boston was freezing...it might not have been so bad without the wind...that was the worst.

chapis

I live in the deep South, and I didn't think it was that cold in Detroit for SA. :lol: You would've never survived the Polar Vortex of 2014 Nationals in Boston. So cold I couldn't breathe.

I have tickets for Skate America 2017, so I just looked at what temperature are there these days and it says tomorrow: (-8 ..-17 Celsius)(17...1 ºF), OMG!!! Lake Placid is in NY or Antarctica? -17ºC? W..T..F.. :eek::scream::wall::fragile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information